np: OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Sandstorm (Excadrill/Thundurus Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest problem with the theory that Excadrill replaces all Choice Scarfers as revenge killers is the fact that Excadrill isn't a revenge killer at all. He's a weather sweeper. If you decide to just stick Tyranitar and Excadrill on your team instead of using a real revenge killer, you are asking to get screwed over by Rain teams.
The theory was that Excadrill's prescence eliminated the need for scarfed revenge killers, not replacing their role. I think it's wrong, but you should at least give them the respect of shooting down their actual idea.

It's often better to just use a naturally fast Pokemon and stick a Life Orb/Band/Specs on it to guarantee a KO on anything slower. This unfortunately lets Thundurus fall through the cracks somewhat since it's too fast for this to work except for a few Pokemon.
And this is why Thundurus is a top tier threat. It doesn't "fall through the cracks," rather it's the prime example of the concept.

That being said, I still stand by my assessment that neither Excadrill nor Thundurus need to be banned right now. While neither is trivially countered, there do exist a few counters for each. Simply having counters wouldn't be enough to keep them from being banned, but I still think those counters are numerous enough and good enough on their own merits that Excadrill/Thundurus should be allowed to stay OU at least for the time being. Basically, I think they are very powerful, but I don't think they need to be banned.
Thundurus might not have any true, hard counters but it has a healthy amount of checks. Excadrill has all the same drawbacks going for it that Garchomp had and sadly that wasn't enough.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
The theory was that Excadrill's prescence eliminated the need for scarfed revenge killers, not replacing their role. I think it's wrong, but you should at least give them the respect of shooting down their actual idea.

And this is why Thundurus is a top tier threat. It doesn't "fall through the cracks," rather it's the prime example of the concept.

Thundurus might not have any true, hard counters but it has a healthy amount of checks. Excadrill has all the same drawbacks going for it that Garchomp had and sadly that wasn't enough.
cept without the idiotic hax chance. If Chomp only had Unnerve as an ability, it wouldn't have been banned, IMHO

Think of OU this way (And I admit, this is kind of silly), it's a trampoline, and at the start all the fat kids were stealing everyone's bounce and nobody but them could bounce high. So the fat kids started to get kicked of the trampoline, and at the end of the game it would be very balanced and everybody would have fun. Thats what overcentralizing means, and threats like Skymin and Thundurus are over 300 pounds.
like the analogy, thundurus is the only thing left that semi-definitively fits this excadrill is debatable but honsetly i lol at all the people who are actually using it as a revenger; its either a spinner/cleaner or a setup sweeper a revenge killer needs to have a fairly static speed stat excadrill with all this weather does not, lati@s are really just the generic predictable jackhammer and has more than enough checks that can come in with some degree of prediction (scarftar, scarfswine, anything with suckerpunch, blissey/chansey if it lacks trick (or psyshock + CM + lo in blissey's case)), Deoxys-s is really only good for Hazard setting this gen due to the ever increasing Bulk and even then magic bounce, magic coat, and the omni-present Lead tar make its life hell in doing that.

How do you stop this?

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Naive / Timid
- Thunderbolt
- HP Ice
- Grass Knot
- Hammer Arm / Focus Blast

chansey (hammer arm is a 3hko without rocks), scarfers + prediction, excadrill, chlorophyll pokes just as a few examples, the NP and Sub-NP set are the only ones that make it suspect IMO.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I just realized that Bulldoze is not such a bad option for Ferro especially if you use him in a drizzle team like i do...

First and most importantly,while in rain magnezone can no longer trap you and setup on you 'cause Bulldoze breaks his subs even if he uses ridiculous shit like 252/+252.

Secondary with Bulldoze,Ferro can counter CM subrachi which is a pain to face in rain!Bulldoze breaks the standart's 252/0 timid jirachi's sub 100% of the time dealing :
224 Atk vs 236 Def & 404 HP (80 Base Power): 110 - 130 (27.23% - 32.18%)!
This is a 100% 5hko factroing in leftovers!it may not seem like much but Jirachi's coverage usually is electric and steel or electric and psychic which are all resisted by Ferro,which is not 5hkoed in return no matter what Jirachi does(unless he gets really lucky with parahax from thunder).

Finally Bulldoze can catch many hetrans,infernape's(or anything really) that like to scare you out while making them slower so everyone else can handle them!
I have been saved 1 million times when i Bulldozed Exca as he used SD,and then revenged kill him with scarf Starmie which can now outspeed him(in sand of 'course)!

The most used Ferro moveset is sr or spikes,leech seed,power whip and protect i think.So giving up protect for bulldoze would be the better option since it is the less vital move in the set!Giving up the extra healing and scouting that protect provides to have the benefits that bulldoze provides definitely seems viable to me in the current meta!

So what are your opinions?

Just to comment on shrangs:

I am pretty sure he didn't mean just beat the set in general. The comment he responded to was that quagsire is a catch-all to thunderous, he posted a set and asked how specifically, quagsire would have countered it.

That's like saying Scarftar was bad last gen because it couldn't revenge kill +1 Dragonite.
No. Scarftar was used for a completely different reason - this uncommon set acted as a surprise factor in order to outrun and revenge kill things it normally wouldn't.

So what if a scarfer can't outrun Excadrill, that doesn't automatically make it unviable.
A CS Pokemon’s job is too out speed and revenge kill the threat at hand. Therefore if it cannot do this to one of the most common deadly threats of OU, then there is almost no point in running choice scarf.

Scarfers are meant to patch up specific holes. You'd use Scarfchomp if you had problems with Thundurus / Volcarona / Lati@s, not because teams always "need" to have a scarfer.
Yes a team doesn’t need to run Choice scarf, but like you’ve said sometimes the CS revenge killer role would fit perfectly into a team and if Excadrill is hindering the use of choice scarf, then we need to consider its effects on the Metagame.

You can't prove that Excadrill makes Choice Scarf obsolete, because it doesn't, and you also can't prove that the relative lack of Scarfers is dentrimental.
Well I can’t 100% prove it, just like how I can’t ‘prove’ a Metagame with no weather would be more balanced. I guess this all comes down to opposing theories/opinions, but one way or the other there is a major decline in the amount of Pokemon who use choice scarf in 5th gen, whether it’s because of Excadrill or because more Pokemon can abuse set up is debatable.

In my opinion though, I think it’s to do with both. Like I’ve said before, why use a Pokemon whose job is to out speed and revenge kill the threat at hand if it can’t do it to one of the most common and deadly threats of OU.

And in fact, I could argue that Excadrill keeps those boosters Scarfmons are usually used to check in line better than most Scarfers.
Well yes Excadrill is better than Choice Scarf Pokemon in general. Excadrill gets double speed in SS compared to the 1.5 speed boost that choice scarfer’s get. Additionally, whilst CS Pokemon are stuck on one move, Excadrill is free to switch between moves and set up.

And let's not forget Deoxys-S, who outspeeds most speed boosting Pokemon and Choice Scarfers and revenges them handily regardless of weather. Are you going to argue that it needs to go next because it's a better revenge killer than a lot of Scarfers?
No, because its Deoxys-S job too revenge kill (or to provide team support). Basically what I’m trying to say is, Deoxys-S IS a revenge killer whereas Excadrill is a deadly Sweeper. I do not think it is vital for revenge killers to outrun and kill other revenge killers seeing as this is not their job.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See, this is why I don't bother arguing with you for long. You always pick my most unimportant point and respond to it and nothing else.
Well when I’m in the middle of an argument and my mum wants the laptop, there’s nothing I can really do about it. Well either that or I have better things to do at the time and will reply properly when I’m free. If you noticed, last time I did reply to your post when I had the chance too.

And I'm sorry to pull the join date card, but I really doubt you've played Gen 4 considering how new you are and your unfamiliarity with what Scarftar was used for.
I did play 4th gen for the most part but temporally quit when I became busy with other things in my life and just because I ‘joined’ the Smogon forum’s recently does not mean I haven’t been playing for longer. Anyway, I only joined in the first place to express my opinion on weather wars.

Scarftar may have been invented for surprise factor against Rotom-A, but it quickly became the glue for teams for its abiliy to revenge kill things like Gengar, Latias, Mixmence, most Infernape, Starmie, etc.,
And this is what I meant by the surprise factor. Tyranitar wouldn’t normally out speed and kill all of the above. Although arguably it could kill Pokemon like Gengar with pursuit, but that involves a different issue.

and importantly for stall, its ability to absorb Trick and kill the user.
I never said it was only used for revenge killing purposes. Anyway I wasn’t planning on discussing Scarftar in detail; my plan was to make a point based on the current issue of revenge killing.

And what the hell do you mean by uncommon. Scarftar was the most common set near the end of DPPt, and although I don't have statistics to back the next part up now that 4th gen is dead, I'm pretty certain it's still the most common set in DPPt, except maybe for Choice Band.
Well I guess it became common during my absence then, so sorry for getting a ‘not so crucial factor’ wrong.

If Excadrill's giant speed makes scarfers unusable, can we ban chlorophyll mon too? They also have giant speed and they have Growth :O

....I'm just kidding :P

But seriously, how are scarfers easily handling Thundurus? :L

- Priority T-wave!
- *Your ass is lubed up- err, Your pokemon is paralyzed and cannot move!
- *troll face*

:(

I never found it hard to run T-bolt, HP Ice, Focus Blast, and T-wave @ LO just to cause some damage and then paralyze anything in front of me once I've had my fun.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just to comment on shrangs:

I am pretty sure he didn't mean just beat the set in general. The comment he responded to was that quagsire is a catch-all to thunderous, he posted a set and asked how specifically, quagsire would have countered it.
Well, I'm also wondering what could safely switch into it, but I guess Chansey, with her everlasting fat that could survive Focus Punch from Azumarill could, I guess =D.

To those who say that garchomp and excadrill have the same drawbacks, I completely disagree. Garchomp is much tougher to kill because it has better typing. Being weak to Fighting, ground, fire and water is much worse than a 4x ice and 2x dragon weakness. Also, Garchomp definitely has more bulk. Add to that the fact that excadrill has exactly 4 viable attacking moves (X-Scissor, EQ, rock slide, return), and it's not that hard to counter. It's VERY powerful, but not the same threat garchomp was.

To those who say that garchomp and excadrill have the same drawbacks, I completely disagree. Garchomp is much tougher to kill because it has better typing. Being weak to Fighting, ground, fire and water is much worse than a 4x ice and 2x dragon weakness. Also, Garchomp definitely has more bulk. Add to that the fact that excadrill has exactly 4 viable attacking moves (X-Scissor, EQ, rock slide, return), and it's not that hard to counter. It's VERY powerful, but not the same threat garchomp was.
I completely disagree due to one all important factor, speed! Garchomp is soooooo slow for a sweeper the only reason he got banned was because of sand veil.

Guys, you're never going to turn that square into your ideal circle by simply snipping corners. You're just going to ban and ban and ban until nothing is left. You've neutered rain, you're in the process of neutering sand, and when sun finally gets taken seriously it'll be time for all the Chlorophyllers to be run through the suspects too. And I highly doubt that once Hail is the only non-castrated weather left, that people will simply say "Snow Cloak, Ice Body, and 100% Blizzards are healthy for the metagame". There will always be a fatter kid.

Never mind that pretty much every argument ever made against Drizzle/Drought/Sandstream applies to Stealth Rock but nobody even cares about that. I suggested someone use something with Occa Berry on it to reverse trap ST Chandelure once and was laughed at; I guess I should have said to run a 20 power Normal attack instead. Overcentralizing is bad, right? But Stealth Rock being mentioned on every single analysis ever written is perfectly normal, and entire types being banished out of standard because of this one move is healthy and desirable.

I don't even want this to be about Stealth Rock because I'm tired of beating that drum. It's not that I even want SR banned- it's just that if we're going to ban everything else, we might as well ban this too. Why not, right? It just baffles me that we can go on this banhappy rampage with our made-up words and unstandardized definitions and completely ignore the worst offender of them all.

Step one: Decide what it is "you" want. You can be you, Smogon, whatever. You can say "a desirable metagame" until you're blue in the face, that doesn't mean anything. What is a desirable metagame? Is it number of usable Pokémon? Is it number of viable strategies? I know my answer- I want a metagame that doesn't have a ban list a mile long. I want "x takes no skill" and "y is cheap" to be bannable offences for utter stupidity. I want Pokémon to be banned if AND ONLY IF their banning means a number of other Pokémon become viable in their place.

I want Moody unbanned because +2/+2 Bibarel is as hilarious as it is unlikely (and how effective would that BE, anyway?). It might not be much fun for you when it happens, but how much fun is it for the Moody user the other 999 times when they get +2 DF against your special sweeper or +6 SA on their Adamant guy? It seems like that nonsense would get old fast and would stop being used- absolutely nobody is going to rely on Moody to win a tournament; battles are won and lost on the strength of far more "reliable" skill-less things like burns, FPs, and crits than God damn Moody doing exactly what you want while your opponent shoves their thumb, hand, and then entire forearm up their own arse while it happens. It's not "broken", but it's unfair or unhealthy? For who, the opponent or the user? You might as well ban Flamethrower. Or Kinesis. Or Focus Blast.

I want Speed Boost Blaziken unbanned because Blaze Blaziken being banned along with it is God damn ridiculous. Until Smogon grows a pair and stops clinging to their "simple ban" mantra making things stupid and complicated, unbanning SB Blaziken is the only thing that makes sense. I don't care if Blaze Blaziken would be UU anyway; the fact that you're willing to ban completely irrelevant Pokémon is completely unacceptable and sets an absolutely terrible precedent. "Ban Speed Boost Blaziken" is simple and understandable. Explain to somebody why Blaze Blaziken is banned, and why it's "good for the metagame" for it to be banned, in under 12 paragraphs. Go on.

I want Drizzle + Swift Swim unbanned because it was just the tip of the iceberg towards this runaway bantrain's inevitable conclusion- either banning all weathers, or neutering all weathers into worthlessness. YOU WILL CRY ABOUT SNOW CLOAK when Snow Cloak is all that is left to cry about, mark my words. Weather has been in this game for over 10 years, and it will feature prominently in every game to come, so it would be smart of you to buy an umbrella. When there are multiple weather inducers of each type, the argument that team "cores" are restricted to a handful will vanish, and then what? (And the number of weather team cores are still up from 4th gen. Nobody complained about Tyranitar/Hippowdon being on all the sand teams, did they? Or was it okay because it was ALWAYS sand?)

I want you to be careful with Excadrill. Banning SAND VEIL Garchomp made sense [preemptively banning Unnerve Garchomp because you can't be fucked to change an arbitrary definition is ludicrous]. It is true that it removes the speed tiers; why run Choice Scarf on anything else if all it will do is give Excadrill the turn it needs to sweep you? Being useless against one thing is bad if that one thing is everywhere, after all. If only there was another weather condition/ability that boosted speed like Sand Rush does, that might bring Excadrill down a peg. Oh wait, you nerfed it already, for the crime of being the dominant weather and not being sand. Regardless of what happens to Excadrill, sun is next.

Once again I propose a simple solution: A standard tier with all weather (and no bans related to weather), and a standard tier without weather at all (which is the eventual endgame of Smogon's current obsession with finding problems for its solutions). Let both develop independently over the course of a few months and see what happens. You might not like "the weather wars", but frankly, that has about as much relevance to tiering and banning as a handful of sunflowers has to the study of solar flares. Weather isn't going anywhere, and the more study that is done with it at full power, the better prepared we'll be for when it gets even more important next gen. Otherwise, the already long banlist is just gonna get longer.

when i was your age we only had two bans and four clauses, and by gum, we liked 'em. we walked uphill in the snow both ways to get rid of that varmint mewtwo
~Uiru

Guys, you're never going to turn that square into your ideal circle by simply snipping corners. You're just going to ban and ban and ban until nothing is left. You've neutered rain, you're in the process of neutering sand, and when sun finally gets taken seriously it'll be time for all the Chlorophyllers to be run through the suspects too. And I highly doubt that once Hail is the only non-castrated weather left, that people will simply say "Snow Cloak, Ice Body, and 100% Blizzards are healthy for the metagame". There will always be a fatter kid.

hail stinks due to that pathetic defensive type that is ice, and the only even potentially broken part of sun is debatably V-Create Vicitini.

Never mind that pretty much every argument ever made against Drizzle/Drought/Sandstream applies to Stealth Rock but nobody even cares about that. I suggested someone use something with Occa Berry on it to reverse trap ST Chandelure once and was laughed at; I guess I should have said to run a 20 power Normal attack instead. Overcentralizing is bad, right? But Stealth Rock being mentioned on every single analysis ever written is perfectly normal, and entire types being banished out of standard because of this one move is healthy and desirable.

while i agree stealth rock does centralize the crap out of every single tier (even more than weather does in ou by far) people have ajusted and really odn't take much notice of its effects anymore as they have become so common place i don't see it getting a ban.

I don't even want this to be about Stealth Rock because I'm tired of beating that drum. It's not that I even want SR banned- it's just that if we're going to ban everything else, we might as well ban this too. Why not, right? It just baffles me that we can go on this banhappy rampage with our made-up words and unstandardized definitions and completely ignore the worst offender of them all.

Step one: Decide what it is "you" want. You can be you, Smogon, whatever. You can say "a desirable metagame" until you're blue in the face, that doesn't mean anything. What is a desirable metagame? Is it number of usable Pokémon? Is it number of viable strategies? I know my answer- I want a metagame that doesn't have a ban list a mile long. I want "x takes no skill" and "y is cheap" to be bannable offences for utter stupidity. I want Pokémon to be banned if AND ONLY IF their banning means a number of other Pokémon become viable in their place.

I want Moody unbanned because +2/+2 Bibarel is as hilarious as it is unlikely (and how effective would that BE, anyway?). It might not be much fun for you when it happens, but how much fun is it for the Moody user the other 999 times when they get +2 DF against your special sweeper or +6 SA on their Adamant guy? It seems like that nonsense would get old fast and would stop being used- absolutely nobody is going to rely on Moody to win a tournament; battles are won and lost on the strength of far more "reliable" skill-less things like burns, FPs, and crits than God damn Moody doing exactly what you want while your opponent shoves their thumb, hand, and then entire forearm up their own arse while it happens. It's not "broken", but it's unfair or unhealthy? For who, the opponent or the user? You might as well ban Flamethrower. Or Kinesis. Or Focus Blast.

well these last few paragraphs are in complete contrition of one another as moody take absolutely 0 skill to use and can easilly beat any team that doesn't run perish song, haze, or roar/whirlwhind all things very few offensive teams which ran the ladder at the time could find space for.

I want Speed Boost Blaziken unbanned because Blaze Blaziken being banned along with it is God damn ridiculous. Until Smogon grows a pair and stops clinging to their "simple ban" mantra making things stupid and complicated, unbanning SB Blaziken is the only thing that makes sense. I don't care if Blaze Blaziken would be UU anyway; the fact that you're willing to ban completely irrelevant Pokémon is completely unacceptable and sets an absolutely terrible precedent. "Ban Speed Boost Blaziken" is simple and understandable. Explain to somebody why Blaze Blaziken is banned, and why it's "good for the metagame" for it to be banned, in under 12 paragraphs. Go on.

My opinion on this will make itself evident after the next paragraph.

I want Drizzle + Swift Swim unbanned because it was just the tip of the iceberg towards this runaway bantrain's inevitable conclusion- either banning all weathers, or neutering all weathers into worthlessness. YOU WILL CRY ABOUT SNOW CLOAK when Snow Cloak is all that is left to cry about, mark my words. Weather has been in this game for over 10 years, and it will feature prominently in every game to come, so it would be smart of you to buy an umbrella. When there are multiple weather inducers of each type, the argument that team "cores" are restricted to a handful will vanish, and then what? (And the number of weather team cores are still up from 4th gen. Nobody complained about Tyranitar/Hippowdon being on all the sand teams, did they? Or was it okay because it was ALWAYS sand?)

while i do agree the complex ban should be dissolved but for a different reason, there were all of 3 swift swimmers up for suspect Kingdra, Ludicolo, and Kabutops; Kingdra was definitely uber, Ludicolo and Kabutops were debatable but nothing else was even remotely considered. the complex ban should have been if used at all a temporary measure to allow suspect to continue around those 3 and then ban those 3 and dissolve the complex ban as to test rain without the "Broken Trio" as they were being called then reallow kabutops and ludicolo if Swift Swim wasn't found to be broken without them individually for retests and then determine their fate from there. and reason this answers the previous paragraph is due to the fact the banning boostiken is in fact a complex ban as it is banning x+y and not outright banning x.

I want you to be careful with Excadrill. Banning SAND VEIL Garchomp made sense [preemptively banning Unnerve Garchomp because you can't be fucked to change an arbitrary definition is ludicrous]. It is true that it removes the speed tiers; why run Choice Scarf on anything else if all it will do is give Excadrill the turn it needs to sweep you? Being useless against one thing is bad if that one thing is everywhere, after all. If only there was another weather condition/ability that boosted speed like Sand Rush does, that might bring Excadrill down a peg. Oh wait, you nerfed it already, for the crime of being the dominant weather and not being sand. Regardless of what happens to Excadrill, sun is next.

fact check Chomp's DW ability is Rough Skin, also strange how outside of its attack stat it stinks without sand rush and with rain and sun around and excadrill having 4-5 hard non-weather counters (7-8 with) and several more checks besides.

Once again I propose a simple solution: A standard tier with all weather (and no bans related to weather), and a standard tier without weather at all (which is the eventual endgame of Smogon's current obsession with finding problems for its solutions). Let both develop independently over the course of a few months and see what happens. You might not like "the weather wars", but frankly, that has about as much relevance to tiering and banning as a handful of sunflowers has to the study of solar flares. Weather isn't going anywhere, and the more study that is done with it at full power, the better prepared we'll be for when it gets even more important next gen. Otherwise, the already long banlist is just gonna get longer.

Gen 5 is a weather meta deal there is no sense in fighting that but nor is there any sense in allowing the most dangerous and broken things in the game run around and destroy everything and leave the meta a colossal mess.

when i was your age we only had two bans and four clauses, and by gum, we liked 'em. we walked uphill in the snow both ways to get rid of that varmint mewtwo

good for you gen 1 is long gone there are more things that constitute broken in far more ways than they could have then so get with the times.

~Uiru

responses in BOLD

i agree with uiru, but i've played with stealth rocks and blaziken(both teams peaking in the top 20 at the time) speed boost blaziken was just amazing, and i barely see stealth rocks. Also on the subject of chomp:
The reason 4 banning him was bracause he was too “luck based”. i know how it feels to miss a key move, and then watching a swords dance sweep of your entire team, but isnt everything in pokemon luck based? Also if he was so slow how did he sweep whole teams?

K, while you have a point with everything else, I'm pretty sure you've never actually dealt with Moody in any legitimate way. It's called abusing Protect, Substitute, and free switch-ins after something in your party dies, which pretty much guarantee that you're going to get several boosts in the stat you want(appropriate atk, appropriate def, speed, and evasion = 4/7 success chance PER turn, and Protect, Sub, and free switch ins grant you at LEAST 12+ free turns in a match).

And no, the -1 never matters because their stats are initially so low that the drop doesn't actually change anything, and if they get it in an important stat, they just switch out.

Hail sucks, bro. That's why it won't be banned and what you ignored in your post. 100% Blizzard isn't a big deal and the Pokemon with SNow Cloak or Ice Body, frankly, suck.

Except you're completely wrong. Stealth Rock isn't that over-centralizing, while Sandstorm requires you to either run weather or Conkeldurr. Venusaur in Sun has even less counters. Thundurus says a massive "screw you" to counters and uses priority Thunder Wave.

We're not very ban-happy. All the bans we've done have a lot of reason in them. God, you sound like a Gamefaqs user.

This is probably the only part in this post that I agree with.

This paragraph is complete bullshit. Moody creates a 1/7 chance in winning (raising Evasion). What happens if I run two Moody Pokemo? Or three? Heck, just having a 1/7 chance of winning is way too much. Look at what we did to OHK moves.

You're a hypocrite. First you want simple bans, now you want complex ones. The point with banning all of Blaziken was to prevent slippery slopes. If we just banned Speed Boost, what's to say we just ban Dark Void from Darkrai? Or Draco Meteor from Rayquaza? Or Earthquake for Garchomp?

If all weather is broken, then ban them. Simple as that. Is there a problem with banning all weather?

Except that Excadrill isn't as centralizing as you say. It can be stopped by changing the weather and priority. It's not getting banned. There have been five rounds with it being nominated nd it still isn't banned.

TThere's already been a proposition for that. Just look into Policy Review.

I think I like an OU with 60 Pokemon than an OU with 10 Pokemon. Even if it means a bigger banlist. Although, to be honest, I find 5th Gen competitive Pokemon to be one of the worst.

Except you're completely wrong. Stealth Rock isn't that over-centralizing, while Sandstorm requires you to either run weather or Conkeldurr. Venusaur in Sun has even less counters. Thundurus says a massive "screw you" to counters and uses priority Thunder Wave.
Colkeldurr is a good Pokémon, and weather is a complete playstyle. Rapid Spin is...? That anyone who wants to use a Rock weak Pokémon should be expected to waste two turns and a moveslot that does NOTHING ELSE every time rocks are laid getting rid of them is absurd.

We're not very ban-happy. All the bans we've done have a lot of reason in them. God, you sound like a Gamefaqs user.
The entirety of gens 1 through 4 saw a grand total of TWO non-legendary Pokémon banned, and no abilities, and no moves past the original five (six). In 5th gen, you've now got your third non-legendary on the chopping block (along with a standard legendary), a hard ban on one ability and a "complex" ban on two more, with a worryingly large number of further abilities waiting in the wings. And I don't have the words to describe how far back in my head my eyes rolled when someone decided it was a good time to dick around with Baton Pass in gen 3, six or seven years after the fact. Bans are accelerating, each (other than Chomp) more nonsensical than the last.

This paragraph is complete bullshit. Moody creates a 1/7 chance in winning (raising Evasion). What happens if I run two Moody Pokemo? Or three? Heck, just having a 1/7 chance of winning is way too much. Look at what we did to OHK moves.
A +2 in evasion is winning now?

You switch in Octillery, I hit it, and it dies. In comes Glalie.

Let's jump back a post for a bit.

And no, the -1 never matters because their stats are initially so low that the drop doesn't actually change anything, and if they get it in an important stat, they just switch out.
What is your opponent doing while you are constantly switching and very obviously going to spam Protect and Sub? Do all these Moody Pokémon have leftovers? You switch in [awful Pokémon here] after a death and I'm going to go straight for a sub/booster of my own, for starters, and then it's a race- only my guy isn't drunk at the wheel. Switch out of my Volcarona, Raikou or Thundurus and now I've got a sub. Will Protect/Sub and Lefties last forever? Can Smeargle, Bibarel, Octillery or Glalie get perfect coverage with two attacks, even if they do survive that long?

I'd like to point out that Smeargle's attack stats after +6, assuming full EVs and +nature, is 608. Metagross reaches that after one Hone Claws. Lots more dudes beat the hell out of that with one turn.

And as for the possible Evasion bonuses, three of the four users happen to be weak to Aura Sphere, and none of them like Thunder in the rain. Rock Blast and other multi-hit moves will make mincemeat out of anything that tries to sub, as will Roar/Whirlwind. Worry Seed exists, and there's always Role Play/Trace/Psych Up/Entrainment/Feint to fill out the 'reaching' quota. Your Bibarel Protects (or Subs) as I switch in Skarmory. Is Moody gonna stop me from Spikes and then Whirlwind? Pseudo-hazers aren't out of fashion, are they?

Of course, there will be times when the stars align and you get exactly what you need, when you need it, and enough of the enemy team is dead to ensure no remaining counters. I simply can't imagine this "strategy" being consistent enough to be viable. Are we actually concerned that if Moody was unbanned, that people would try to use it? I'm certain that after a brief novelty phase, the number of times it leads to a crashing defeat will dissuade usage even considering the occasional laughable victory.

You're a hypocrite. First you want simple bans, now you want complex ones. The point with banning all of Blaziken was to prevent slippery slopes. If we just banned Speed Boost, what's to say we just ban Dark Void from Darkrai? Or Draco Meteor from Rayquaza? Or Earthquake for Garchomp?
Not at all. First, I don't want simple bans, I simply want less bans. And second, my argument here is that how we have defined "simple" and "complex" bans is flawed, and that the end result is that the "complex" Speed Boost Blaziken ban is less confusing than the "simple" Blaze/Speed Boost Blaziken ban. Banning Blaze Blaziken makes absolutely 0 sense- you cannot explain it or argue for it without appealing to the "definition" of simple and complex bans- and we should not be content with a system that allows for completely unrelated Pokémon from being removed from play for reasons of convenience for policy makers.

Note that all three of your counter-examples are attacks, and not abilities. Blaze Blaziken CANNOT have Speed Boost under any circumstances (and the inverse is also true). Any Darkrai can forget or relearn Dark Void; Blaziken's ability is set when it is created and cannot be changed. Note also that Rough Skin Garchomp cannot have Sand Veil, which is another problem waiting to happen with the current ban definition system. [As for Unnerve Garchomp, I'm sure someone else said that earlier in the thread, but in the end it's not the point.] Appealing to wanting to prevent complex bans is kind of foolish now that we already have one.

If all weather is broken, then ban them. Simple as that. Is there a problem with banning all weather?
Kind of sort of, in that it's a very substantial part of the game. I don't enjoy the thought of anyone wanting to build a team around weather (there are several different kinds, plus mixes and anti-styles to consider) being forced out of standard and into uber. This is why I think the best solution is to make Standard Weather and Standard Non-Weather.

Except that Excadrill isn't as centralizing as you say. It can be stopped by changing the weather and priority. It's not getting banned. There have been five rounds with it being nominated nd it still isn't banned.
I would have thought Drizzle+Swift Swim got stopped by changing the weather too. But at any rate, I don't care if Excadrill is banned or not; there are some excellent arguments for and against it. I am more concerned with so much banning and ban discussion in a metagame that will change constantly for its duration as more DW abilities are released (among other changes that are surely incoming). First and foremost, something needs to be done about the most definitely not broken Blaze Blaziken being banned, and the probably not quite so terrible Rough Skin Garchomp being auto-banned upon release. These are like Game Freak banning Phione from Battle Tower, plain and simple.

while i agree stealth rock does centralize the crap out of every single tier (even more than weather does in ou by far) people have ajusted and really odn't take much notice of its effects anymore as they have become so common place i don't see it getting a ban.
So why not wait for people to adjust to constant Rain vs Sand? Leaving Stealth Rock alone because "it's always been there" is not much of an argument. Tradition is no excuse.
~Uiru

Colkeldurr is a good Pokémon, and weather is a complete playstyle. Rapid Spin is...? That anyone who wants to use a Rock weak Pokémon should be expected to waste two turns and a moveslot that does NOTHING ELSE every time rocks are laid getting rid of them is absurd.

Rapid Spin is a SUPPORT move FYI and you have 24 moveslots to pack it into. Stealth Rock is actually fine right now, in fact if SR is broken, why the fuck is Volcarona in OU? Clearly we have ways and means to deal with SR.

The entirety of gens 1 through 4 saw a grand total of TWO non-legendary Pokémon banned, and no abilities, and no moves past the original five (six). In 5th gen, you've now got your third non-legendary on the chopping block (along with a standard legendary), a hard ban on one ability and a "complex" ban on two more, with a worryingly large number of further abilities waiting in the wings. And I don't have the words to describe how far back in my head my eyes rolled when someone decided it was a good time to dick around with Baton Pass in gen 3, six or seven years after the fact. Bans are accelerating, each (other than Chomp) more nonsensical than the last.

*checks DPPT* its 4. Wobb, Wynaut, Mence and Chompy. ADV Baton Pass was old, and that was before Smogon was even created. Lol.

A +2 in evasion is winning now?

You switch in Octillery, I hit it, and it dies. In comes Glalie.

Let's jump back a post for a bit.

What is your opponent doing while you are constantly switching and very obviously going to spam Protect and Sub? Do all these Moody Pokémon have leftovers? You switch in [awful Pokémon here] after a death and I'm going to go straight for a sub/booster of my own, for starters, and then it's a race- only my guy isn't drunk at the wheel. Switch out of my Volcarona, Raikou or Thundurus and now I've got a sub. Will Protect/Sub and Lefties last forever? Can Smeargle, Bibarel, Octillery or Glalie get perfect coverage with two attacks, even if they do survive that long?

Do you even KNOW how to use Moody? It's freaking simple: switch in, and use Protect for 2 potential boosts. And if it gets an Evasion boosts, not even +6 Volcarona will ever be able to hit. Smeargle doesn't use Moody to sweep FYI, it uses Moody to gain boosts and LOLBATONPASS to something else.

I'd like to point out that Smeargle's attack stats after +6, assuming full EVs and +nature, is 608. Metagross reaches that after one Hone Claws. Lots more dudes beat the hell out of that with one turn.

who the fuck uses Smeargle to attack again? It can do MUCH more, it can SPORE. oh wait, MORE FREE TURNS to get boosts. my bad.

And as for the possible Evasion bonuses, three of the four users happen to be weak to Aura Sphere, and none of them like Thunder in the rain. Rock Blast and other multi-hit moves will make mincemeat out of anything that tries to sub, as will Roar/Whirlwind. Worry Seed exists, and there's always Role Play/Trace/Psych Up/Entrainment/Feint to fill out the 'reaching' quota. Your Bibarel Protects (or Subs) as I switch in Skarmory. Is Moody gonna stop me from Spikes and then Whirlwind? Pseudo-hazers aren't out of fashion, are they?

Check again. Only Mienshao, Togekiss and Luke has access to Aura Sphere. Mienshao and Togekiss NEVER use Aura Sphere. As for the others? Rock Blast, Roar, Feint, etc. all have accuracy, which is pretty much LOL in the face of evasion. NOBODY uses Role Play or Entrainment, only Porygon2/Gardevoir ever runs Trace, and Psych Up is terrible. Moody WILL not stop from Skarmory spiking up on you, but an evasion boost WILL make Skarmory have problems p-hazing you.

Of course, there will be times when the stars align and you get exactly what you need, when you need it, and enough of the enemy team is dead to ensure no remaining counters. I simply can't imagine this "strategy" being consistent enough to be viable. Are we actually concerned that if Moody was unbanned, that people would try to use it? I'm certain that after a brief novelty phase, the number of times it leads to a crashing defeat will dissuade usage even considering the occasional laughable victory.

Surprise surprise, it actually is! Moody wasn't banned from UBERS without a reason.

Not at all. First, I don't want simple bans, I simply want less bans. And second, my argument here is that how we have defined "simple" and "complex" bans is flawed, and that the end result is that the "complex" Speed Boost Blaziken ban is less confusing than the "simple" Blaze/Speed Boost Blaziken ban. Banning Blaze Blaziken makes absolutely 0 sense- you cannot explain it or argue for it without appealing to the "definition" of simple and complex bans- and we should not be content with a system that allows for completely unrelated Pokémon from being removed from play for reasons of convenience for policy makers.

I pray that this silly opinion wasn't because the Ubers in Gen IV all had only 1 ability. Banning Speed Boost Blaziken only simply opens up a path to MANY more complex bans and end up screwing the meta all together. "Hey, let's make Kyogre available in OU, but the only attack it can use is Water Pulse!" No.

Note that all three of your counter-examples are attacks, and not abilities. Blaze Blaziken CANNOT have Speed Boost under any circumstances (and the inverse is also true). Any Darkrai can forget or relearn Dark Void; Blaziken's ability is set when it is created and cannot be changed. Note also that Rough Skin Garchomp cannot have Sand Veil, which is another problem waiting to happen with the current ban definition system. [As for Unnerve Garchomp, I'm sure someone else said that earlier in the thread, but in the end it's not the point.] Appealing to wanting to prevent complex bans is kind of foolish now that we already have one.

Garchomp doesn't have Unnerve. Even then, if you want abilities, sure: ban Sand Rush on Excadrill. Ban Multiscale on Dragonite. Ban Guts and Iron Fist on Conkeldurr. Ban Iron Fist and No Guard on Golurk. There are so many ways to nerf a Pokemon by banning its ability, its NOT even funny.

Kind of sort of, in that it's a very substantial part of the game. I don't enjoy the thought of anyone wanting to build a team around weather (there are several different kinds, plus mixes and anti-styles to consider) being forced out of standard and into uber. This is why I think the best solution is to make Standard Weather and Standard Non-Weather.

no comment

I would have thought Drizzle+Swift Swim got stopped by changing the weather too. But at any rate, I don't care if Excadrill is banned or not; there are some excellent arguments for and against it. I am more concerned with so much banning and ban discussion in a metagame that will change constantly for its duration as more DW abilities are released (among other changes that are surely incoming). First and foremost, something needs to be done about the most definitely not broken Blaze Blaziken being banned, and the probably not quite so terrible Rough Skin Garchomp being auto-banned upon release. These are like Game Freak banning Phione from Battle Tower, plain and simple.

Excadrill doesn't have its STAB boosted by rain though. Swift Swimmers have an auto-Agility boost in addition to their attacks being doubled in BP FOR ABSOLUTELY NO COST. Yeah, LO is out of fashion now. Deal with it.

So why not wait for people to adjust to constant Rain vs Sand? Leaving Stealth Rock alone because "it's always been there" is not much of an argument. Tradition is no excuse.

People have already adapted to Stealth Rock. The answer is simple: pack a spinner. It is simply an essential part of the metagame now, and the only problem is on how much support do you need to give your sweeper.
~Uiru

Stealth Rock is actually fine right now, in fact if SR is broken, why the fuck is Volcarona in OU? Clearly we have ways and means to deal with SR.
I don't think this should be used as an argument, as Ferrothorn and Tyranitar was top tier OUs even with Blaziken around.

The only part that i agree is that Stealth Rock is way more over centralizing than weather, bad to the metagame (it makes too much mons unplayable), but its hardly broken and doesn't deserve a ban.

To the rest, the rise in bans is simply a product of GF trying to please the player releasing stupidly powerful mons (in comparison with previous gens), thats the power creep, here we try to make a balanced metagame. Thing so blatantly overpowered like speed boost blaziken need to be banned and while blaze ken is underwhelming the criteria for a ban is to consider a pokemons best moveset, and in his case that involves speed boost (sand veil in chomps case).

Although it is true that Smogon is currently way too ban happy: the lax incense ban objectively didn't make sense, but also didn't affect the metagame in the slightest.

The real problems here were the moody and drizzle-ss bans with moody being on the same vein as the lax incense ban, but with more impact and the complex ban that is the only ban i disagree with, complex bans are not the way to go simply as that.

But these are just my thoughts feel free to disagree (lol)

It could be that there are just more usable spinners and less usable ghosts to block said spin. Starmie is probably the most used as a Spinner; but there's also Excadrill who punishes any Ghosts preventing the spin, Hitmontop who has a niche in being able to Spin against Ghosts with Foresight, or just killing them with SuckerPunch/Bullet Punch, Tentacruel who can also lay hazards and Donphan who is arguably the worst although still not entirely a dead-weight.

Just commenting on that last point. I actually agree almost entirely. (Almost).
People adapted to Stealth Rock, despite it possibly being the most over-centralising thing we've ever seen. People may, with time, adapt to weather - I know many have already, so why are we still banning things?
Personally, I'm thinking there needs to be a nice wait after this round of testing to let people adapt to what's here.

The problem with stealth rock is that only weak some pokemon types and limit the use of someone (not always), only things like Moltres, Ninjask and Scyther are too weaked by SR.
Volcarona have 4x rock-weakness and he is see many times in the team preview.

The problem with Weather is that limit the pokémon use to a little bunch (not counting the power up/down of certain attack, the accuracy-boost, passive damage [that can be seeing as a sort of stealth rock] and the ability-actived.).

That's my point.

Although it is true that Smogon is currently way too ban happy: the lax incense ban objectively didn't make sense, but also didn't affect the metagame in the slightest.

The real problems here were the moody and drizzle-ss bans with moody being on the same vein as the lax incense ban, but with more impact and the complex ban that is the only ban i disagree with, complex bans are not the way to go simply as that.
moody was an odd case where it was so broken most good players wouldn't use it for very long due to its sheer brokenness being an insult to their abilities as competitive battlers (that is sure as hell how i felt) and since very few if any people of real note were using it when it got banned its leaving had little to no impact on the meta.

Lax incense/brightpowder we're kinda stupid i agree as 1 in 10 is nothing especially since chomp was 1 in 5.

Drizzle + Swift Swim i've already stated my opinion on and i'm not in the mood to retype that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)