Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark III: Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does king's rock works with multi-hits, like rock blast?
Please see here.

As for the guy with the breeding issue, RNG is pretty much the only way you're gonna get a decently powered Hidden Power Ice along with good IV's quickly.
It's possible to do it without RNG, but that will take a LOT of time.

I'm trying to learn about breeding IVs onto a baby pokemon, and I've read through the entire breeding guide on this site, but I'm still not quite understanding it.

Here's my situation: I want to get the All-out Attacker Mienshao set with Naive nature, Regenerator, 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe, HJK, U-Turn, HP Ice and Fake Out. I've managed to breed a Naive Mienfoo with Regenerator easily, and by chance it had an Attack IV of 31 so I've put a Power Bracer on it to carry it over. From there I've basically been breeding 5 Mienfoos at a time and taking them to the guy in Mistralton city to tell me the HP type, and I've bred like 60 of them and no luck. What's the best way to ensure I get the right IVs onto Mienfoo so that I get HP Ice with a decent base power, while still retaining the 31 Atk IV I've got?
Trying to get good IV's and Hidden Powers without RNG abuse is pretty futile. You want to do RNG abuse to get this, and the easiest way to get HP Ice Mienshao is to catch it while RNG abusing outside Dragonspiral Tower. I got one that way, and it was actually pretty easy for an RNG abuse.

I'm trying to learn about breeding IVs onto a baby pokemon, and I've read through the entire breeding guide on this site, but I'm still not quite understanding it.

Here's my situation: I want to get the All-out Attacker Mienshao set with Naive nature, Regenerator, 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe, HJK, U-Turn, HP Ice and Fake Out. I've managed to breed a Naive Mienfoo with Regenerator easily, and by chance it had an Attack IV of 31 so I've put a Power Bracer on it to carry it over. From there I've basically been breeding 5 Mienfoos at a time and taking them to the guy in Mistralton city to tell me the HP type, and I've bred like 60 of them and no luck. What's the best way to ensure I get the right IVs onto Mienfoo so that I get HP Ice with a decent base power, while still retaining the 31 Atk IV I've got?
Basically, you can't purely breed specific IVs without RNGing. If you're trying to get HP Ice (or any specific HP) you're pretty much going to have to RNG (I think, I haven't read those guides on RNG manipulation just yet!).

You CAN breed for overall high IVs with a bit of patience, as I have done in the past. Basically, check the IVs of the offspring and replace the parents when you find one that is better. When trying to breed DW abilities and natures onto it as well, make sure that you only replace the female with ones that have said nature and ability. Power items can be used to "lock" ideal IVs, such as that 31 attack. If you put a power item on both parents, you can lock two IVs, but at the expense of not being able to lock the nature. Since you can only lock one or two IVs at a time, guaranteeing a specific combination for a HP is impossible without RNG abusing.

As for checking IVs, Ii you have two DS', a wifi connection and two B/W cartridges (or just a friend with a DS, catridge and connection willing to help you) you can check IVs reliably by doing battles where the levels are scaled up to 100 and using any number of online calculators. If that's not an option, I recommend seeing the guy in the battle subway, who will tell you generally how good the IVs of you Pokemon are, and if you have any 31s. This allows you to screen out duds quickly. Anything that meets your satisfaction at that stage can then be checked more deeply by entering one at a time into a battle subway match and using their lv 50 stats to calculate their IVs within a couple points.

I hope that answers your question. I've IV bred quite a bit myself, but it does take a LONG time to get decent IVs; anywhere from 60-300 offspring depending on how high your standards are. Patience is the key, but if you want to skip out on all that, there's always RNG abuse...

@cRAZYtALK: Breeding the Hidden Power the traditional method (mass hatching eggs) takes a very long time (like probably a week or more IF you have parents with 3 correct IVs each), and to have even more restrictions (i.e. mixed attacking IVs) will pretty much triple that time ... assuming you want decent special attack and speed. The ideal IVs for Hidden Power Ice are:

31/30/30/31/31/31 or 30/31/30/31/31/31

You probably want to have 31 Speed IV. If you don't care too much about the other IVs other than attack, then you need to have:
EVEN number for Defense IV
ODD number for Special Attack and Special Defense.

To get at least 65 Base Power for your Hidden Power, your Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed IVs, when divided by 2 and then rounded down, should be ODD (i.e. 31 / 2 = 15.5 = 15 = odd, and 30 / 2 = 15 = odd).

If you really want to keep Attack at 31 and do not want to learn how to RNG (which is probably the faster way to do all this since learning takes a few hours max and you can capture a HP Ice flawless naive Mienfoo in less than half an hour), I would suggest trying to breed until both of your parents have 3 good IVs. In this case, 31 in attack, special attack, and speed seems ok (usually you should try for SpA, SpD, and Speed to ensure Base Power is at least 65).

With the correct Attack, SpA, and Speed IVs, even if you get Hidden Power Ice, you will only be guaranteed that it is 46 Base Power though (Special Defense counts for A LOT in determining Base Power). In comparison, if you have 31 Attack, SpA, and Speed and your SpD is odd and SpD divided by 2 rounded down is also odd, then your base power will be guaranteed to be at least 66.

I'm not sure why I went about explaining so much, but basically you should probably learn how to RNG if you want to breed for Hidden Power. You should still need to know how IVs determine Hidden Power type, so I recommend reading a guide like this one: http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/breeding_guide_part4 (Read it a few times while testing things out if you don't get it).

To learn about how to RNG for your pokemon, go to the Wifi forum and click on one of the stickies about RNGing.

If you "cannot" learn how to RNG and must then breed it the traditional way, here are the steps you should take. Now here I am going to assume that you want HP Ice more than you want 31 Attack IV, so here are the steps to get Hidden Power Ice first:

1. (Beginning Phase) Find a Mienfoo that has as close to x/x/30/31/31/31 as you can, most emphasis on the last 3 IVs. If you have nothing, then just catch a few random Mienfoos or breed for them until you have at least one of those IVs. If you have a male pokemon breedable with Mienfoo that has one of those IVs (i.e. 31 in SpA/SpD/Speed), then of course you can attach the appropriate Power Item and breed with Mienfoo too.
2. (Replacing Parent Phase) Keep note of the breeding parents' IVs (mainly just which ones are 31s, or 30 for Defense). When you have a male hatched Mienfoo whose IVs are better than the IVs of the current male parent, then replace the male parent with your current one. Same for female. If you have a female naive, then sure, attach everstone. Male parent should hold appropriate Power Item too.
3. Repeat Step 2 until you have both parents having x/x/x/31/31/31 or better with female being naive holding everstone and male holding Power Lens/Band/Anklet. With those parent IVs, you now have a 1 in 16 chance in getting a Hidden Power Ice pokemon with base power of 65+ (actually higher chance than 1/16 with Power Item). Keep at it and you will eventually get a x/31/x/31/31/31 pokemon with HP Ice 66+.

EDIT: (Assuming you have no other means of calculating IVs) It helps to have about 30+ Rare Candies in storage so you can save before checking IVs, and then rare candy up while putting stats in an online IV Calculator (don't tell me you can't find one). Alternatively, another slightly faster way is, after the initlal phase, when you know for sure that you have at least one flawless IV, you can go to the person in Nimbasa City inside the Subway. Talk to the first person you see when you do down those stairs and he will tell you what your pokemon's best stats are. If he says your pokemon is amazing (or whatever he says) in more than one stat, then you know that your pokemon has at least 2 flawless. This is OK for when breeding for HP Ice since you want 31 in SpA, SpD, and Speed anyway. For other Hidden Powers where you want some 30s mixed with 31s this way won't work so well.\

EDIT2: I forgot to mention (though it is sort of implied). I would not recommend holding Power Bracer throughout this whole process, because retaining 31 Attack stat will only delay your process of getting those good HP Ice IVs. It's much faster to get those HP Ice IVs first for SpA/SpD/Speed, and then just chance your 31 in Attack. *Much Faster* meaning it'll maybe take a few hundred eggs instead of a thousand or something like that if you are lucky.

Is the Smogon server down? I can't access it and I'm pretty sure I'm not banned 0_o
I even tried the Advanced Connection but nothing works ._.

Is there a place where i can ask for "legal hacked" pokemon? I tried asking someone in the trade thread, but i was pretty much shunned for even mentioning "hacks". Transfer programs like Pokemon Selector and Pokecheck dont work with my router, and I would love to get my youtube channel going. If there is no place for this, is there someone who would be willing to generate my pokemon for me and trade them to me? Ive been looking for an answer to this for about 4 months so any help would be appreciated.

How do you people train your pokemon to lvl100?? I actually training my first competitive team against the elite four (yeah lol) I have 2 lucky egg on my pokemon that fight and exp. share on my defensive pokemon so they can get exp without fighting. But this is long as fuck and I was wondering if there is not a faster way to reach the maximum level.

How do you people train your pokemon to lvl100?? I actually training my first competitive team against the elite four (yeah lol) I have 2 lucky egg on my pokemon that fight and exp. share on my defensive pokemon so they can get exp without fighting. But this is long as fuck and I was wondering if there is not a faster way to reach the maximum level.
It's not all a giant easy cakewalk, if you can't beat the elite 4 at your current level you can put your stuff in the day care and hop on the bike for a few hours XP.

Is there any one single mon that partially at least, counters Flash Fire Arcanine and DDance Gyarados? My wi-fi sun team is doing pretty well but I run into a massive brick wall everything I ran into either of these two or worse, both at once. I don't need a perfect counter, just wondering if a check exist for both on a single mon since I don't want to shake up my team too much.

It's not all a giant easy cakewalk, if you can't beat the elite 4 at your current level you can put your stuff in the day care and hop on the bike for a few hours XP.
if you ask me, training at them one at a time, holding an EXP share, is easier than it looks... getting an entire team of 6 from level 1 to 100 only took me 2 days... which seeing i went up 594 levels in 48 hours its actually not that bad

on another note: i may or may not have accidentally formed a portion of a rain team... what would be better, a drizzle politoad or a bulky rain dancer to set up rain seeing as i technically cant use my kyogre for it

haunter

Banned deucer.
Is there any one single mon that partially at least, counters Flash Fire Arcanine and DDance Gyarados? My wi-fi sun team is doing pretty well but I run into a massive brick wall everything I ran into either of these two or worse, both at once. I don't need a perfect counter, just wondering if a check exist for both on a single mon since I don't want to shake up my team too much.
Eviolite Porygon-2 with trace counters both quite easily, just watch for choice banded close combats from Arcanine. Other options may be Lati@s and Rotom-W.

if you ask me, training at them one at a time, holding an EXP share, is easier than it looks... getting an entire team of 6 from level 1 to 100 only took me 2 days... which seeing i went up 594 levels in 48 hours its actually not that bad
Dude if you played 48 hours in 2 days I guess it's easy to train them to lvl100. I'm around 90 now but it took me something like a week, playing around 5 hours a day. Maybe I just dont play enough hahaha

Hey guys, I'm trying to RNG in my English White game on my family's DS Lite, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have a clock syncronized, my sincronizer in the lead, and the IV's entered correctly using Serebii's IV calculator. The MAC adress is in there, but yet I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated.

on another note: i may or may not have accidentally formed a portion of a rain team... what would be better, a drizzle politoad or a bulky rain dancer to set up rain seeing as i technically cant use my kyogre for it
Is that even a serious question? Permanent weather should always be used over temporary weather in any environment that allows it, no exceptions. And Politoed has pretty good bulk anyway

That is fair enough, and certainly a...controversial question. Personally, I would say it highly depends on your Dancer, and whether or not it can really pull enough weight to make up for endless rain (which is a saving of one turn for every time the weather is changed). I would say that generally, for a HO team (which I assume is what you want given you want SS'ers), it's not a huge loss to run a Dancer, as last I calculated, it only costs you an extra turn before you really should be about done.

With Drizzle:
Turn 0: Rain is up (I.e. it's up before any moves)
Turn 1: switch Toed for something else.
Turn 2-x: attack under Rain.

Without Drizzle:
Turn 1: Set up Rain
Turn 2: switch for a Swimmer.
Turn 3-10: Attack under Rain.

Without Drizzle, using a Dancer that can attack well under Rain (E.g. Double Dance Kingdra?)
Turn 1: Set up Rain.
Turn 2-9: Attack under Rain.

Really, you only slow by one move, but you also don't have to worry about making Toed slow (slower than other starters to ensure your Rain is set up). Running a Dancer that can also ause Rain itself actually saves you a turn as compared to using Drizzle (and was the main reason i was against Aldaron's proposal, but thats discussion for another time). And really, if a Rain HO team hasn't wreaked havoc by turn 9, you're either up against very effective stall or very unlucky. I'd say most of the time by turn 9 you'd have hit hard enough to not be absolutely reliant on rain.

Let's not forget either that this is all assuming one could even use Drizzle plus SS. Now that Aldaron's proposal is up, that's not even possible. I'd say it's worth trying, to use a Dancer, but you'd need to pack something that can work outside of Rain, something bulky enough that the speed boost isn't a necessity but a bonus. Perhaps a...Bulky Kingdra? I don't know, just something which you can fall back on should Rain cease after turn 9 and the opponent hasn't been ripped to shreds yet.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
The simple answer is get good at another tier.

since suspect "testing" is closed now for OU, I believe it will work in a similar fashion to PotM of the suspect threads. Obviously only a mod can really answer this but i'm pretty sure that's how it'll work.

or maybe they just wont hand it out

okay so I have this UU hail team, pretty standard. My problem is that I want to fit a CB Snorlax on it and I haven't the foggiest on who to replace. Seems like all my members serve a purpose. Here's the team:

SubSeed Abomasnow
Scarfed Glaceon
Late-game cleanup Hail Raikou - Expert Belted with tbolt, hp grass, weather ball, aura sphere
Bulkyish Froslass - sets up spikes for Glaceon and Raikou
Donphan with rapid spin, pretty necessary..
Slowbro to take on Victini, Darm, etc

wat do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)