Official MLB 2012 Season Thread

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
Obligatory staff best pitcher does not imply ace (or #1)
it implies #1 because that's what the pitcher is on the staff. #1. maybe not a #1 on a world class rotation but still.

ace, however, is the term is thrown around way too casually in baseball these days considering there are only ~10 or so true "aces" in all of the sport (and neither Beckett or Lester are one of them).

it implies #1 because that's what the pitcher is on the staff. #1. maybe not a #1 on a world class rotation but still.

ace, however, is the term is thrown around way too casually in baseball these days considering there are only ~10 or so true "aces" in all of the sport (and neither Beckett or Lester are one of them).
Halladay, Sabathia, Hernandez, Price, Cueto, Strasburg, Kershaw, Cain, Weaver, Verlander?

I've always considered it as a #1 guy that would be the #1 pitcher on basically any pitching staff in the league.

Top 10 wouldn't be a stretch, but any more is probably too much.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There's no exact definition, it's mostly an environment thing. Not necessarily the best guy stats-wise (even though it usually is), but the one with the combination of experience, skill, and "stuff" that inspires confidence in the clubhouse. People say baseball is a game of averages but it more often comes down to performance in one game mattering the most, who are you going to put out there in that one game for your season?

Obligatory staff best pitcher does not imply ace (or #1)
In the context, Jon Lester was definitely the best pitcher and the ace of the Red Sox since he won the clinching World Series game and kept rolling. Beckett has been second-fiddle for a couple seasons here and his name constantly pops up in trade rumors.

In the context, Jon Lester was definitely the best pitcher and the ace of the Red Sox since he won the clinching World Series game and kept rolling. Beckett has been second-fiddle for a couple seasons here and his name constantly pops up in trade rumors.
I never said the point particularly to you. Generally agreed upon by most non team based beat reporters is that not every team has an ace. This isn't to say that Lester never had that level (his 2008-2010 were fantastic) but the term is thrown around so loosely it devalues it entirely (imagine people saying Felix Doubront was the Red Sox ace midway through the season due to W/L)

Now a days when using #1 as a scouting term it's moreso synonymous to the true ace ideology, though. You'd agree with that, right? If you look at it from #1 in rotation, obviously what you said is valid.

and in response to Wikey, it's just kinda ambiguous, with everyone having their own definition. Generalization time, but high level starter capable of consistently operating at that level for 200+ IP over the year.

aamto

Halladay, Sabathia, Hernandez, Price, Cueto, Strasburg, Kershaw, Cain, Weaver, Verlander?
to me: Sabathia, Price, Verlander, Felix, Grienke, Haren (healthy), Strasburg, Halladay (healthy), Lee, Hamels, and Kershaw.
I've always considered it as a #1 guy that would be the #1 pitcher on basically any pitching staff in the league.

Top 10 wouldn't be a stretch, but any more is probably too much.
this is very contingent on the league and overall quality of pitching but it is probably the closest way i'd describe an ace, too. generally, look for durable pitchers that have a wide range of plus pitches (or a god tier single pitch -- Felix's change for example), strike batters out, keep the ball down, and have upper tier command/control.

Haren (outside of this year due to injury) has much better peripheral stats than Weaver, meaning that his performance when performing well was much less due to luck.

If you look at it, Weaver's K per nine has gone down for the past two years (it's under 7 now!) and his BB/9 hasn't improved enough to make up for the loss. If anything, his increased performance may in large part be due to the type of defense (with Bourjos and Trout providing great defense in center being the anchor) and the Angel's ball park.

The only thing to wonder about Weaver is if he is the type of almost mythical pitcher that somehow manages to continually generate weak contact. But if you look at it this year, Weaver's line drive rates are at 21%, 3% higher than his career average. If anything, his ability to prevent runs is most likely due to a fair bit of dumb luck. (indeed, look at his over 80% LOB, under .235 BABIP, and his HR/FB ratio).

This isn't to say that he's not a good pitcher, and though I'm gonna assume the crap out of this but my thought is that aamto probably thinks of him in the tier right under ace, but the past couple of seasons his peripherals haven't matched his ERA at all.

aamto

Weaver is a guy who benefits tremendously from his home ballpark and defense. his fastball is sub 90mph and he pitches up in the zone (this is where his home ballpark and defense come into play). of course, he has incredibly good offspeed stuff to compensate and his fastball does move quite a bit. but if you took him out of LA and put him in a pitching neutral environment, his stats would be much worse (indeed, his ERA is over 2 runs higher away from home this season). i actually shouldn't have put Cain on that list either, as he suffers from the same "issues" Weaver does -- huge advantage when pitching at home because AT&T park is death to flyballs. however, Cain strikes more batters out, throws harder, and pitches in the weaker league, so i'd consider him a top tier NL pitcher and borderline ace guy.

of course, you can't take Weaver's (or Cain's) home park away from him (especially because he's signed long term) but if a guy is only an ace is his own ballpark, i wouldn't consider him among the top 10 or so pitchers in the league; he's in the very good tier. i amend my post to move Cain there as well.

Do not disrespect the bats of the Nats pitchers.

Galarraga plunked Suzuki with two outs to bring up Gio Gonzales. Gio went yard on the first pitch fastball.

7 in a row and 9 of the last 10 to put us 3 games better than anyone else in the majors. Strasburg looked good and should have 4 wins left in him if he can pitch like he did last night.

7 in a row and 9 of the last 10 to put us 3 games better than anyone else in the majors. Strasburg looked good and should have 4 wins left in him if he can pitch like he did last night.
aaaaaand then the playoffs start and your season ends in a hilarious fashion. thank your "brilliant" manager

You keep saying this. The team owner and GM are the ones who made the plan to shut down Strasburg. Not Johnson. And it is also a good idea. Why ruin a 23 year old who has the best stuff in the majors? He just had Tommy John's and has already pitched more innings this year than he's ever pitched.

Besides, Zimmerman has been our best pitcher this year and Gio could be the #1 guy on any team this year as well. With Zim, Gio, and Edwin Jackson we'll be scary in the playoffs. The only concern is our offense. Even though our runs scored has gone up it has mostly come off home runs which we probably will have trouble getting off the Reds/Giants staff.

Why ruin a 23 year old who has the best stuff in the majors? He just had Tommy John's and has already pitched more innings this year than he's ever pitched.
You won't ruin him. Pitchers are so babied nowadays it's ridiculous. Go look at how many innings Nolan Ryan etc pitched and then get back with me. Stephen Strasburg is a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE MAKING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO PLAY A GAME. LET HIM PLAY IT.

...and now Will Middlebrooks is on the DL. I try not to whine, but god damn, we just can't catch a break at all. Fortunately I think Ortiz is supposed to come back pretty soon, so maybe we can get by by putting Aviles or Ciriaco at 3B? Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.. I know middle infielders can often switch back and forth pretty handily, but how well do shortstops transition to 3B?

...and now Will Middlebrooks is on the DL. I try not to whine, but god damn, we just can't catch a break at all. Fortunately I think Ortiz is supposed to come back pretty soon, so maybe we can get by by putting Aviles or Ciriaco at 3B? Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.. I know middle infielders can often switch back and forth pretty handily, but how well do shortstops transition to 3B?
E.G.: Hanley Ramirez.

That didn't work out very well :X

Mike Aviles is a super utility guy and original 3rd baseman for KC. He switches all the time back and forth, it's his job. Move him to 3rd base and put Pedro at short stop. Problem solved, no other thought needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)