Pokémon Design Misconceptions

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Today is a day of revelations!

Despite pupitar being covered in metal it is NOT steel type but rather ground! Just... why!?

breh

強いだね
Look down.. down.. further. Until you find lilligant's feet. It has 3 of them!? I never knew that, and I have used lilligant on 3 runs of black! It should have 2! It is a freakin' plant lady, but ladies have 2 feet (I think) so it would make sense for lilligant to as well!
It actually has 4 "feet" all arranged at right angles from one another.

Geodude6

Look at my shiny CT!
Okay, so like I am a big Rhyperior fan, but for the longest time I really hated him because of this misconception springing from his Generation 4 backsprite.

-snip-
Anyone else think it looks like Rhyperior is giving the Nazi salute?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
This is another one of those "can't be unseen" threads. Ditto to the Diglett nose/mouth. And oh my goodness R/B Ditto really is a severed giraffe head what the heck nintendo.

Also, Pokemon has always been 99% consistent with typing / coloring / design, so they really need to stop throwing curveballs.

etc

I seriously have to remind myself over and over again, yes these look like X, but no they are not, and no Y move will not be SE on them.

Also, Pokemon has always been 99% consistent with typing / coloring / design, so they really need to stop throwing curveballs.

*Pocket Monsters*

etc

I seriously have to remind myself over and over again, yes these look like X, but no they are not, and no Y move will not be SE on them.
Sounds more like an issue with the way you manage your data than a "GaemFrak wai u do dis" situation to me. Try organizing Pokémon's types by their concepts and ideas rather than their face-value appearances. Of the Pokémon you listed as examples, Gliscor is probably the most difficult to categorize this way, but I'll explain it: Many scorpions live in deserts, and this Pocket Monster in particular can fly - therefore, it's a Ground/Flying type. The only trouble here is that scorpions are more commonly known for their poison. :P

My own mind pulls associative stunts that reach far and beyond this on a regular basis, though, so please forgive me when I say I can't sympathize at all with anyone that has trouble remembering Pokémon types. When I see a list of Pokémon, be they as images or names, I see a secondary list just behind it that reads (in the example case here) "Water/Flying, Rock, Rock/Bug, Ground, Electric, Ground/Flying, Dragon." Then again, it doesn't really "read" as anything, since I think of types and their mach-ups on an ideological scale, which results in the ease I find in saying matter-of-fact-ly things like, "Sudowoodo is weak to Water-type attacks, and gets STAB on Stone Edge." Then when it comes to Pokémon's stats, I think of them as relative, i.e., "Luxray's Attack is higher than its Special Attack, and it's slower than Electivire." I only really remember specific stats if they're particularly unique ("Shedinja has a base HP stat of 1"), common ("Salamence has a base Speed of 100"), or if I've been researching the Pokémon in question recently ("Gyarados has a base Special Attack of 65").

tl;dr: I'm pretty much a PokéDex for iPhone in human form. :nerd:

On-topic: I believe it's already been mentioned in this thread, but I used to think Gardevoir had a pointy nose and lips with an emo hair-do:

You know, looking left.

As a result, I found it absurdly ugly, and hated it. Now that I've seen its true face reflected in artwork from different angles and 3D models in games like Battle Revolution, Gardevoir is one of my favorite 'mons. :3

Well I thought it was fighitng and steel (SO COOL!) but many others think it is bug type because it is green with some kind of antennae things reaching round the head.

"its green" is extremely poor reasoning to determine something as a bug type. There's like 10 or so green bug-types and about half of those are also Grass...

Haxorus is closer to yellow imo anyway, and aside from maybe the "antennae" I don't see how any part of it could be construed as bug-like.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Dark. I mean, how can it not be dark. I know there's already a dragon/dark in gen 5, but look at haxorus, that thing looks like a dark type.

the black and the red and the jagged points

It just makes me think of dark every time I see it, even though cognitively I know it's not. I don't have this problem for 99% of pokemon. You can usually just look at them and know, oh, it's very light colored. It's normal. Oh, it's purple, it's poison. Oh it's green, it's grass. Or if there's a questionable coloring, you can look at it's design and make the connection. But, and maybe it's just me, but those few I listed before just throw me for a loop every time I see them. Something about them just doesn't click for me.

I got surprised by Delibird's bag being its actual tail when someone pointed it out in another thread I think. Woah.

Also Mankey's back sprite in RBYG was a total mess. I actually thought it was standing on its head. Another thing is that it looked like a Mew.

I got surprised by Delibird's bag being its actual tail when someone pointed it out in another thread I think. Woah.

Also Mankey's back sprite in RBYG was a total mess. I actually thought it was standing on its head. Another thing is that it looked like a Mew.
Most the backsprites in RBY were disgusting looking.

I don't even know how that's a Venusaur.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)