Some sort of Egg 'RNG' Abuse (Read the first post!)

What about the randomly generated IV, that is not inherid from any parents? Does that IV change or stay the same?

If it stays the same:
Lets say that I breed some Pokemon where both have less than 31 IV in Atk. Still I get an offspring with 31 Atk, meaning that the RNG generated 31 Atk as the random non-inherid IV. If I now switch parents to two 5x31 IV parents lacking Atk IV, will they generate a 6x31 flawless baby (since 5 31 IVs are inherid, while Atk is "random")?

What about the randomly generated IV, that is not inherid from any parents? Does that IV change or stay the same?

If it stays the same:
Lets say that I breed some Pokemon where both have less than 31 IV in Atk. Still I get an offspring with 31 Atk, meaning that the RNG generated 31 Atk as the random non-inherid IV. If I now switch parents to two 5x31 IV parents lacking Atk IV, will they generate a 6x31 flawless baby (since 5 31 IVs are inherid, while Atk is "random")?
So far, in my experiments, the random IV stayed the same as well. So yeah, you would be able to get a 6x31 baby, flawless.

EDIT : Also, I have a question. If I breed a Male pokémon with a Ditto, is the Ditto still considered the Male in the passing of IVs? Or since the other one is male, it inherits IVs from that one?

Last edited:
EDIT : Also, I have a question. If I breed a Male pokémon with a Ditto, is the Ditto still considered the Male in the passing of IVs? Or since the other one is male, it inherits IVs from that one?
Ditto assumes the female position (that sounded weird) in this case. Tested it already.
And I'm also getting the same random IV every experiment. So I guess it's safe to say it stays the same. Now to roll for a 31!

So what you're telling me is that, in theory, I could catch a couple of 3 and 4IV ditto. Then get a synchronize pokemon and catch a stack of pokemon I want (say petilil for example) with the nature I want. Then when I figure out the way the destiny knot works, i can go right from a 2 or 3IV pokemon to a 5IV one?

Sounds like a great idea when dealing with pokemon with low female rates (like Lucario for example).

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
Can someone answer this please?
Kazo tested and found that the PID is kept too, but if the species of the egg has a different gender ratio than the previous breed, it may be changed to fit the predetermined gender. So for shiny 50/50 things, breed Magikarp one at a time, saving before the egg is generated each time. If it hatches shiny, reset, swap parents, done.

I may have hit a snag.

I tried to bag me a flawless adamant Beldum using these steps, but the judge in Kiloude gave a review of it that didn't match the IV combination I was aiming for. I think the cause is the parent Beldum I used: it has a different OT from mine. Will edit this post later with results after I breed for a beldum with parents that are both under my OT.

edit: Yeah this method doesn't seem to work consistently...or at all if both parents are genderless. I keep getting mixed results, none of which is the result I want.

Last edited:
I may have hit a snag.

I tried to bag me a flawless adamant Beldum using these steps, but the judge in Kiloude gave a review of it that didn't match the IV combination I was aiming for. I think the cause is the parent Beldum I used: it has a different OT from mine. Will edit this post later with results after I breed for a beldum with parents that are both under my OT.
Actually, genderless Pokémon have been giving me problems and inconsistent results. I will do more testing in regards to genderless stuff tonight.

Kazo tested and found that the PID is kept too, but if the species of the egg has a different gender ratio than the previous breed, it may be changed to fit the predetermined gender.
I don't know if this solves the issue for the above two posters, but are you using a test pairing that are ditto/genderless?

Also yea this is pretty interesting, thanks for the info. Not a HUGE help in most cases since if you had the right parents you could breed 1-2 flawless Pokemon in the same amount of time it takes to check a test egg but it gives you the option to produce any 1 thing you want with 100% results.

Now for the wildcard IV - does that stay the same if you reset as well or is it randomly generated the next time?

Alright, I have to be doing something wrong here. So I:
1. Put a Male Mawile with 31 in everything and a female Flabebe holding Destiny Knot with no 31 IVs in the daycare.
2. Biked around till the guy had an egg for me.
3. Rejected the egg
4. Saved
5. Soft Reset
6. Biked around till he had another egg.
7. Hatched it and took it to the IV checker

The IV checker said the hatched Flabebe had 31 in Attack and Speed, so I think cool! Now I'll just replace the Flabebe with a female Mawile that has 31 in everything but speed to see what the inheritances are. Since the baby is inheriting attack and speed from the father, one of HP/Def/Spa/SpD is the wildcard and the other three are inherited from the mother.

So I:
8. Soft Reset
9. Take the female Mawile out of the daycare.
10. Take the Flabebe out of the daycare.
11. Swap the Destiny know over the the female Mawile.
12. Put the female Mawile in the daycare.
13. Run around till an egg pops out.
14. Hatch it.
15. Take it to the IV checker

And I end up getting a 31/xx/31/31/31/31 Mawile. What happened?

I "set" an Egg with HA using Moxie Female Gyarados + Ditto, then swap parent for Hidden Ability Male Lucario + Ditto and the egg comes with the Hidden Ability, so it doesn't matter if it is Male or Female when u swap (well just remember that Male HA+Female non HA doesnt produce an Egg with HA), it just check for HA and produce an egg with it, i dont know if this was posted before.

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
I "set" an Egg with HA using Moxie Female Gyarados + Ditto, then swap parent for Hidden Ability Male Lucario + Ditto and the egg comes with the Hidden Ability, so it doesn't matter if it is Male or Female when u swap (well just remember that Male HA+Female non HA doesnt produce an Egg with HA), it just check for HA and produce an egg with it, i dont know if this was posted before.
Seems like gender is kept, and because of it, it can modify the stored PID.

3. Rejected the egg
4. Saved
5. Soft Reset
There. Don't soft reset after rejecting eggs. Continue biking until he has a new one for you. Idk if that's why you've received your error, but SRing right after rejecting the egg isn't something you're supposed to do.

I don't think the soft reset would have changed anything. We specifically save after rejecting the first egg because at that point the RNGs are fixed. Any soft reset after that won't change anything. The best I can come up with is that the attack was actually the RNG, and it happened on 31. But because of the fixing, it should always be 31, and he should have produced a 6/6 baby. On a slight side note, this is why I use two pokes that I all have different IVs that I know exactly, helps eliminate a little of that 'hoping it didnt random 31'. But, anyhow, if he didn't produce a full 6/6, then he's missed telling us something. Might want to double check your poke's you are using. Using a pair of pokes that you KNOW all the IVs and are all different makes this a lot easier.

On a slight side note, this is why I use two pokes that I all have different IVs that I know exactly, helps eliminate a little of that 'hoping it didnt random 31'.

i do things sightly differently myself i use parents that between them cover every possible max IV but for the stat i want to be random i make sure both parents have the 31 for it this way as soon as i take them to the IV judge im very likely to know if the stat i wanted to be random is (unless it happened to roll a 31) as if the judge doesn't comment on it that means it is the random this time

as an example im breeding for a Adamant Hidden ability Dratini with 31/31/31/?/31/31 so i have a Female adamant Hidden ability Dratini with
31/31/?/31/31/31 and a Ditto with ?/?/31/31/?/? so should i not see the judge mention Sp.attack i know it was inherited from neither parents and its my random

Last edited:
So what I'm getting is when you dump the parents, Destiny Knot immediately chooses which 5 ivs will be chosen for the next egg you receive? Like I can reject egg, check ivs, and if its the five I want for any random mon, I soft reset and can put in literally any parents I want that fit the bill? I.e. find out dad gives HP/Def and mom gives Atk/SpD/Spe and I swap both for completely different egg group parents (Magikarp + Something else for Abra and Mienfoo, for example) and same ivs should be passed down?

Maybe that's whats causing inconsistencies in Genderless Pokemon, maybe this RNGing needs to be the same egg group for it to work?

It's not ambiguous at all, but I'll try to explain it better. Put your Skarmory and Pidgeot in the Day Care, one holding the Destiny Knot, one holding the Everstone. Wait for the Day Care Dude to hand you an egg. Reject the egg. Save the game. Wait for another Egg to pop out. Get it, and check the IVs. Because of the Destiny Knot, 5 IVs will have been passed down from either parent. Now let's say your newly bred Skarmory has 31 HP, 0 Atk, 31 Def, 31 SpA, 12 SpD, 31 Speed. This mean it got its HP and Def from the mother, and its Atk, Spa and Speed from the father, while the SpD was the "wildcard" stat. But you knew this already. The point is that the game's RNG is now fixed in that spread: HP and Def from the mother, Atk, SpA, Spe from the father. So now you can reload your save (from after you rejected the first egg) go to your box and, for example, get a 0/31/0/31/0/31 female Spritzee (just an example) and breed it with your 31/0/31/31/0/31 Ditto. Yes, I mean, swap the Skarmory and the Pidgeot for the Spritzee and Ditto. The newborn Sprtizee will certainly inherit the Ditto's Atk, SpA and Spe and the female Spritzee's HP and Def. That's because the game has already pre-determined which IV values will be borrowed from which parent with the Destiny Knot mechanic. So if you want another spread of IVs to be passed down, just refuse the egg again and repeat the process until you get the desired inheritance. Is that clear now?

(prole paras is what I was calling the offspring paras)

Edit;
I'll try to illustrate it again, and in a way that shows how useful this is.
So I have a [18/x/23/x/31/x] male Larvitar and a [21/x/x/30/8/31] female Bagon. These are the only IVs I know of them, and they suck. I give Larvitar a Destiny Knot, and an Everstone to Bagon, and take them to the Day Care Center. When the dude tries to hand me an egg, I decline. I save my game. Then I get another egg, but this one I accept and hatch it. Now it's time to check the newborn Bagon's IVs. Let's say it got 21/x/x/23/30/31/31. This means the male Larvitar passed down its Def and SpD, while the female Bagon passed down its HP, SpA and Spe. So let's take a note of that:
Male: Def, SpD
Female: HP, SpA, Spe
Now I reload my save. Instead of getting a second LarvitarXBagon egg, I change the male Larvitar for a male Zubat with x/x/31/x/31/x and a female Swanna with 31/x/x/31/x/31. One of them must have the Destiny Knot equipped, of course. I then accept the egg. What will happen? The baby Ducklett will have, with 100% certainty, the father's Def and SpD and the mother's HP, SpA, Spe -- that is, all the 31 stats I wanted.
With this method I turned two useless, shitty IV'd Pokémon into a way to get the IVs I wanted in my baby Ducklett.

...does this make any sense now?
Yes, this makes a lot more sense now. It involves "locking" the IV's the game will pass down from either parent and whatnot. Worst way for me to rephrase that, ever. Thank you for clearing it up. :)

Does the HA stay locked too? Like, rattled female karp passes it on to the child, will another HA female be guaranteed to pass down the HA?

And would this also work for pokemon with multiple abilities, assuming you use a scout with them? (not just HA) As in, thick fat(1st ability) gets passed down by female marill scout, would it be guaranteed to be sturdy(1st) on sudowoodo?

So is the IV inheritance locked forever, or will the inheritance of IVs change with what pokemon is stored in the daycare?

Also, do you only have to reject the egg the first time, or rejecting another egg changes up the RNG?

So is the IV inheritance locked forever, or will the inheritance of IVs change with what pokemon is stored in the daycare?
I'd also like to know if it ever gets reset without actually getting another egg.

Could you trade after a reset, take the pokemon out, then ideally get a proper breeder traded to you to take advantage of it? I'd imagine this could be helpful if you find a child inherited a random 31, 30 iv(for hidden powers) or 0 iv.

This is probably good for having 3x31 IV dittos and a random 2iv pokemon from the safari, then pretty much getting an easy 5x31 IV Pokemon.

Kazo tested and found that the PID is kept too, but if the species of the egg has a different gender ratio than the previous breed, it may be changed to fit the predetermined gender. So for shiny 50/50 things, breed Magikarp one at a time, saving before the egg is generated each time. If it hatches shiny, reset, swap parents, done.
Can confirm or at least back up gender ratio affects egg rng abuse. Spent a couple of hours wondering why the hell a Kangaskhan wasn't inheriting the IVs breeding with my Bulbasaur that was predicted by my pair of Magikarps. Someone on IRC said that gender ratio might be affecting it, so I swapped out Kangaskhan for a female Bulbasaur and bam, it inherited the IVs predicted by my Magikarps.

So yeah, kinda messes up breeding for Kangaskhan it looks like, possibly other 100% male/female Pokemon? I don't have a Ditto atm so can't test that out, but I dunno, maybe that would let it inherit the IVs since genderless breeding works with Ditto using this method I thought I heard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)