Pokémon Bisharp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm now testing a spread with 76 Hp / 252 Attack / 180 Spe like I mentioned before so I will use that for what Assault vest helps handle

I'd say the main use Assault Vest adds is against the Latii twins, especially Latios. AV allows you to pursuit trap and live with enough HP to brawl with another mon. Usually the next pokemon Bisharp brawls with it will lose too, but knock off will cripple and give me a very favorable switch in. After a kill and a half Bisharp has always done its job on the teams I build it with. If you need Bisharp to consistently plow through multiple pokemon then don't use this set. If your team has multiple pokemon that don't care about the latii then this set isn't necessary. Assault Vest is the only item that gives Bisharp the bulk to take on the Latii with any coverage and still run enough speed to threaten bulky waters/faeries and things like that. I'd say that along with the surprise of pursuit are the important strengths of this Bisharp over others.

After that, AV helps against Goodra and Heatran allowing it to survive one fire attack. Greninja can still kill with a combo of ice beam+hydro pump, which is where the 168 HP ev's helped with my old build. More bulk makes it a semi viable counter to Greninja, although it's relegated to a single use with no wish support. Its usefulness dries up a lot after that

AV has limited uses but I've found the ones it does to be interesting options for Bisharp. It's a hard set for the opponent to play around with the addition of pursuit.

Last edited:
i feel you, and that actually sounds good, considering my team runs a Zard Y, and Lati is one of the things that gives Zard problems due to fire resist and speed advantage

latios specs draco is still 2hko with the EV's given, so pursuit is not necessarily best course of action with AV bisharp...

Last edited by a moderator:
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 142-168 (48.9 - 57.9%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

After that latios is at -2 and won't 2hko without a crit.

The real deal winner is that latios is really scared by sucker punch and since pursuit is rare on bisharp, switching out almost always seems like the smart play to win a free switch

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
When looking into AV Bisharp, you have to consider what you're giving up. Not only do you lose the much-needed power of Life Orb, but you also give up the boosting potential of Swords Dance, or the scouting/prediction benefits of Sub.

In return you can take special hits much better, but even then Bisharp can only take one or two. Bisharp still isn't going to fare very well against most special attackers, but Assault Vest is most notable for guaranteeing that Bisharp can freely switch into Lati@s and remove them from the match with Pursuit. If trapping the Lati's is a big deal to you, then certainly give AV a try! In general though, Bisharp is best off sticking to an offensive item.

Shroomisaur you're dead on. AV Bisharp is way more niche than LO builds, but so far that niche has been very useful to me. I tend to like fighting types like Conkeldurr and other bulky attackers that are weak to the latii when they get in so AV Bisharp has proven its usefulness over and over again.

yeah i'm probably going to test this out before i take it to the ladders, but it sounds like a decent for for my team, considering i have a zard y, and the lati's are the main kryptonite. i still have a conk to hit things physically

its just that bisharp is one of my two real physical threats. click here for my team and let me know if you think AV would work there better than my current set. i'll test it myself at some point in the near future too

That's a pretty good lookin team. I ran a team with av conk / megaY / av bisharp before and I really liked it. Don't worry about outspeeding Rotom-W with Conk on your team. Try the 168 Hp build. I think that would serve better. I'd love to know how your testing goes.

I don't think Assault Vest Bisharp is worth it because you miss out on quite a few OHKO's, the biggest being Aegislash (which is one of the biggest reasons to be running Bisharp).

i'm not using LO anyway, so i'm not missing out on power using AV. i run max HP on bisharp with substitute and leftovers. i guess i could run AV and still use max hp, or maybe i could throw some of that to speed

That's a pretty good lookin team. I ran a team with av conk / megaY / av bisharp before and I really liked it. Don't worry about outspeeding Rotom-W with Conk on your team. Try the 168 Hp build. I think that would serve better. I'd love to know how your testing goes.
thanks for the advice. i'm getting pretty close to meeting the Req's on the suspect ladder. once i get all that, i'll start experimenting with AV bisharp for sure. the ability to eliminate the Lati's from the game would be incredible. the only real stops to zard y are the blobs and dragons (notably lati's, sometimes garchomp)

alexwolf EDIT: Stop double posting.

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Forum Moderator
I am really a fan of this guy. Bisharp is one of the more powerful priority users this gen, as well as probably the second most powerful knock off in the game. Sticky web is pretty powerful if you don't prepare for it, but bisharp can even deter them from placing it, for fear of an instant +2 on switch in.

I think what makes Bisharp great is his ability to apply pressure to the opponent. He is one of the only physical attackers to take on aegislash and come out without losing momentum. He threatens those who stay in with powerful priority, while punishing switches with knock off, sub, or SD. Sixth gen is a meta where momentum means a lot. Aegislash, Talonflame, Genesect, Mega-Venusaur: these are all pokemon who can stop the opponent in their tracks or steal the show and go on the offensive. I think Bisharp fits into this category nicely.

one thing about bisharp is too many people bluff sucker punch but don't follow through with it. if i were you i would use sucker punch the first time he's in, just to show you will. the first time somebody has a lati against your bisharp, go for the sucker punch. you might think the switch is obvious and go for a SD, sub, or knock off, but lots of players are catching onto this and are going to hit you with a tbolt or something that hurts. be wary

update: here is an example of AV Bisharp at work. took out latias on turn 2, and megazard Y dominated from there on out. the AV itself didn't come into play, but the pursuit set shines, and i know i could have taken a hit if i needed to

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-84520834

alexwolf EDIT: Use the edit button next time and stop double posting.

so ive noticed a lot of people eving for min speed rotom, but I have been running into a lot of rotoms with 44 speed evs to outspeed jolly azumarill. I am wondering if 176 speed evs is worth using so that you still outspeed both of these threats?

Bisharp @ Leftovers/Lum berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 176 Spd / 252 Atk / 80 HP
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Has anyone tried lum berry on the swords dance set? I liked the idea behind using substitute and swords dance but Feel like Bisharp needs all of those attacking moves. Ive been able to get swords dances off on things that try to put me to sleep or burn me and then proceed to wreck their team

Personally I've discovered talonflame to be a great partner for him, offensively speaking. Could someone recommend a good partner for this core?

Personally I've discovered talonflame to be a great partner for him, offensively speaking. Could someone recommend a good partner for this core?
You'd also want to also consider Bisharp's weakness to Fire and Ground types so I'd also consider something like Azumarill or Starmie.

one thing about bisharp is too many people bluff sucker punch but don't follow through with it. if i were you i would use sucker punch the first time he's in, just to show you will. the first time somebody has a lati against your bisharp, go for the sucker punch. you might think the switch is obvious and go for a SD, sub, or knock off, but lots of players are catching onto this and are going to hit you with a tbolt or something that hurts. be wary

update: here is an example of AV Bisharp at work. took out latias on turn 2, and megazard Y dominated from there on out. the AV itself didn't come into play, but the pursuit set shines, and i know i could have taken a hit if i needed to

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-84520834

alexwolf EDIT: Use the edit button next time and stop double posting.
That was great. Definitely going to use this as an example.

HELL YEAH! So glad to see AV Bisharp put in some work. Latii could start running HP Fire, which hurts in the sun, but both pokemon generally have better things to do than HP fire with its nerf. So far in my playing with the set on numerous teams I have never been hp fire'd by a latios or latias, so I think it's safe for now.

Thanks for posting the replay raiderrocker8

If you really want the latii dead, use AV Bisharp

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
I'd also assume AV Pursuit has the advantage when running DeoSharp, because assuming you get off that +2, you can either deal some extra damage with Pursuit or smack the switch-in with Iron Head/Coverage.

Anyone else notice how handy low kick can be? One shotting unsuspecting Heatran is extremely satisfying. I feel as though it deserves some recognition.

Anyone else notice how handy low kick can be? One shotting unsuspecting Heatran is extremely satisfying. I feel as though it deserves some recognition.
low kick sounds great, but i just can't find room. its the infamous 4 move move slot syndrome. this gen, knock off, sucker punch, and iron head are necessities. low kick is an option, but i think sub/SD/pursuit are all more useful

So, I decided to make a Bisharp. What is the generally reccomended EV distribution? Mostly on the speed, and what notable poke it can outspeed with it >_>

Gyarados is a perfect partner for Bisharp as it resists all of Bisharp's weaknesses.
Yeah Gyarados covers all the bases, Zapdos is a good partner too, though he doesn't resist fire. Zapdos also helps in that he isn't redundant as far as being another physical attacker, in case you wanted to diversity your team. He could also be your designated hazard remover, although defog is less desired for a bisharp team, as you want to put the pressure on your opponent to defog. I've been running Bisharp on my Megazard Y team, and they synergize ok too. Not that you want Zard to be switching in and taking hits, but he does also resist fighting and fire while being immune to ground, making him a natural fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)