Monthly Art Contest Megathread CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hooray, submissions!

Also just letting everyone who is planning to submit know that submissions for mac #30 will end on 23:59 PDT July 13th. Let's keep this train moving! CHOO CHOO!

Regime

the party is December 18th
is an Artist Alumnus
I hate this. I can't be creative when it comes to this. Dammit Elcheeso.

Aromatisse

anundeadboy

Half dead, half boy.
is an Artist Alumnus
MAC #30 | Pokémon Makeover
PROBOPASS

The design of the Pokémon from the 5th generation did break the mold, a lot of discussions were created around it and the polemic still echoes one generation later. I really enjoyed most of the changes, but there is one that always scared me: Probopass. T.T

The evolution of the Pokémon whose nose always point to the north gained a "pinocchio effect" on its trademark, just like the uglying duck, it became longer and more aesthetic. Defending itself pulling objects with its magnetic field, coming from below the body and steel winged arms, is now more effective with its (now more evident) three orbited units, the Mini-Noses. The second evolutional stage of Nosepass opens his eyes releasing its stored power, maintaing the mystical atmosphere of this rock/steel type Pokémon that learned to handle eletric moves and is now able to shortly levitate from the ground and even swift move on sandstorms. :)

Last edited:

This is my remake of the Generation 1 Pokemon, Magneton. I decided to remake this because what is it normally, three Magnemite glued together? Not this time. Through much training a Magnemite evolves, harnessing the power of electricity to make it a powerful electromagnet! With three magnets speeding around its body it constantly generates power, giving it immense speed and special attack for Pokemon of it's level. If it's magnets slow down, it is unable to keep moving and needs to be given power to become active again.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Scan_Pic0001.png

Looking at the other entries I now feel mine might be a little too far from the originals, but tbh I really like these designs and am submitting them anyway.

And as the entry rules said, I am giving a Pokemon line I feel did not live up to their 'base concept' a makeover--namely, the Beldum-Metang-Metagross line, whose base concept was this: a basic pokemon continually fusing together over and over to gain power, intelligence, and bulk. First of all, I never got the whole concept of fusing together in the first place: why are the Beldum fusing together? How does that even work? And of course I never really got what the whole line was based off of aesthetically either so it was super confusing, and still is now.

So that got me thinking: What sort of concept WOULD make more sense? And eventually I got into power: if two bodies of enough power collide, they may overload, and create an entire new being. And this concept of overloading led me to think of batteries, and battery acid--which led to these guys.

If you look closely, you can see that the first stage evolution is in actuality composed entirely of head parts from the basic stage-- the heads of each of the two Basics split apart during fusion and become both a two-part mask and some shoulder-plates for the first stage. The bands holding the power cell of the basic together become a sort of belt helping the gooey plasmic body of the first stage solid. And of course the two batteries of the two basics merge together in the heart of the first stage, producing unimaginable power.

What happens naturally is the first stage, CELLOSIS, are gradually attracted during their lives towards large sources of power... and of course usually the largest source of power in the general area will be another CELLOSIS--so of course when the two meet, they absorb each other and cause a massive burst of energy, combining to form an even more powerful being, a gluttonous soul known only as GLUTASMA which will devour any and all energy in its path.

Additionally, to fit more closely with their theme of fusion and/or absorption to create new stages of evolution, I thought up a new ability, where being hit by a special attack would cause it to recover 33% of the dam,age done to it afterwards, if it survives, that is.

Whoop, 12 hours late, but FUCK THE POLICE I DO WHAT I WANT. MAC #30 is now closed. Poll will go up probably in another 12 hours or something since my connection right now is mega butts.

Poll is up. Just a reminder for artists, it's easier for me to link your art if you upload it to an external image hosting site (like imgur or any of the ones that don't auto delete pictures after X amount of time) and then attach it to your post via the add image button. Smogon attachments sometimes cause issues for other people viewing them.

Alright, poll has been over for awhile (though apparently won't tell me that it is >.>), and brightobject won by 3 votes! Congrats! Goes to show that people aren't put off by something a little bit further out of the box. Also a shoutout to anundeadboy and the mini-noses for coming in a close second!

Now we move onto MAC #31. Our theme this month is... Pokemon cosplay! It's based on cosplay pikachu from ORAS, except extended to all pokemon! Design an outfit for a pokemon! It doesn't have to be based on the outfits used by cosplay pikachu, go wild with whatever ideas you have for pokeclothes. Let's do this.

"Wait! There's another name you might know me by... Star-Lord."

It's a bit late for Comic Con but Infernape won't let that stop it from dressing up as his favorite guardian of the galaxy!

I hope this isn't a miserable waste of space... I swear one night while I was out of the country, I had a dream that the theme of the next MAC would be people dressed as Pokemon, but then I was like, nah Smogon would never do that. Well, this is more or less Pokemon dressed as people, so... close enough?!

I'll also formally ask when the due date is.

I hope this isn't a miserable waste of space... I swear one night while I was out of the country, I had a dream that the theme of the next MAC would be people dressed as Pokemon, but then I was like, nah Smogon would never do that. Well, this is more or less Pokemon dressed as people, so... close enough?!

I'll also formally ask when the due date is.
Due date will be August 26th, because why the fuck not.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I hope my Entry made it. I was informed that the Deadline was August 26th? I was busy at work so I couldn't log in the past weeks. anyway it's good to be back here at Smeargle Studios

TITLE: ARCHAEOLOGIST CUBONE

Well, the deadline was August 26th... of last year ^^''

The contest (and MACs) have been long dead, but still, very nice piece! :)

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Archeologist Cubone is the best thing ever! :D I absolutely love how you did the lighting effects!

PS: I do miss the monthly art contests...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)