(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Literally the most annoying thing that got me in XY was those freakin' rollerskates..
Sure for the first times it was really fun swinging around in circles with bundles of joy, but it just got plain annoying after a while and for once I just wanted to freely run around in shoes. The thing that got me the most was that you just couldn't un-equip them no matter what.
This was 10x more fun =P

So, like some of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Pokemon, the Nidos get a 10 point increase in base stat. Where does it go? The Attack stat when both of them are Sheer Force-abusing Special Attackers. Well done, Game Freak. (ofc there might be others I missed but these 2 came to my mind first)

To add on to that, Pikachu, the mascot, got a 20 BST increase. Well, it is the mascot so you would expect it to be given special treatment. So, you would expect the points to go to either Attack, Special Attack, or Speed right ?(seeing as Pikachu is known for being fast and frail). Nope, it gets 10 point in Def and SpD. This when its evolution Raichu gets the ever-useful 10 point increase in Speed. Salutes Game Freak for making their mascot more useless than ever.

Furthermore, all the Megas have a 100 point increase in BST. OK, let me reword: All but Alakazam, who gets a 90 BST increase instead. Why? Most likely because whoever designed the new base stats didn't look at the updated BST and use the old BST as base. Oh, and whoever worked on Mega Sharpedo's stats must be having a laugh. Distributing 30 points each to the piss-poor Def and SpD isn't going to make Sharpedo live a hit, Game Freak.

There's something that really annoys me in XY/ORAS, but I find it hart to explain well. I'll try.

When a Pokémon sprite has a certain animation and you let that Pokémon move by tapping it (summary) or using a move (in-battle), sometimes the animation 'starts over again'.

Take Yveltal for instance.

Its animation starts by it flapping its wings down. When using a move, or when tapping it in the summary screen, the animation starts over before it starts doing the move. A lot of Pokémon with bigger movements in their animation have this. It completely changes position in 0,0001 frame, which is visible as a huge stutter, and it looks horrible. I hope you understand it. I might just record it with my iPhone real quick to add some visible support to this post.

On a side note, this is not only in Pokémon, though. A lot of games seem to have this.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I feel like I've mentioned this before, but I hate how you can't get easy PP Ups and Maxes in this Generation. Last gen, it was as easy as camping in front of that one rock, grinding Star Pieces, then getting seven of them from that one guy in that town you can only get to through the Battle Subway. That and you often got Ups and Maxes from people at the Stadiums in Nimbasa. I miss that so much.
They could put them in the BP Shop like the rest of the drugs vitamins. 16 BP for a PP Up, 48 BP for a PP Max.

Literally the most annoying thing that got me in XY was those freakin' rollerskates..
Sure for the first times it was really fun swinging around in circles with bundles of joy, but it just got plain annoying after a while and for once I just wanted to freely run around in shoes. The thing that got me the most was that you just couldn't un-equip them no matter what.
This was 10x more fun =P
The fact that you can't run in grass using the circle pad really annoys me.
Yeah, I wished they let you turn off the roller blades like you can turn off the Exp. Share. I do find the roller blades fun since I like doing the simple tricks with them, but it preventing you from using the circle pad to go through grass or doing anything with some precision.

And bike hopping is fun, especially now that they let you do it in the Hot Springs!

So, like some of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Pokemon, the Nidos get a 10 point increase in base stat. Where does it go? The Attack stat when both of them are Sheer Force-abusing Special Attackers. Well done, Game Freak. (ofc there might be others I missed but these 2 came to my mind first)

To add on to that, Pikachu, the mascot, got a 20 BST increase. Well, it is the mascot so you would expect it to be given special treatment. So, you would expect the points to go to either Attack, Special Attack, or Speed right ?(seeing as Pikachu is known for being fast and frail). Nope, it gets 10 point in Def and SpD. This when its evolution Raichu gets the ever-useful 10 point increase in Speed. Salutes Game Freak for making their mascot more useless than ever.

Furthermore, all the Megas have a 100 point increase in BST. OK, let me reword: All but Alakazam, who gets a 90 BST increase instead. Why? Most likely because whoever designed the new base stats didn't look at the updated BST and use the old BST as base. Oh, and whoever worked on Mega Sharpedo's stats must be having a laugh. Distributing 30 points each to the piss-poor Def and SpD isn't going to make Sharpedo live a hit, Game Freak.
To be fair the Nidos have a higher Attack stat, whoever increase their stats were probably just looking at their stats and not at the metagame. We'll see what they have planned for them if they get a Mega Evolution.

Other Pokemon got an odd BST increase:
Victreebel got its Special Defense increased from 60 to 70 (not really going to protect it from Fire)
Azumarill for Special Attack from 50 to 60 (because **** Huge Power)
Loudred for Special Defense from 63 to 73 (if you weren't going to focus on offense at least increase its defense since its weak to only Fighting)
Staraptor for Special Defense from 50 to 60 (Electric and Ice will still faint it)
Roserade for Defense from 55 to 65 (won't really help and not really the stat is uses for defending anyway considering its type)
Leavanny for Special Defense from 70 to 80 (it maybe 10 points higher, but its still worse off than Victreebel since its quadruple weak to Fire)

There's something that really annoys me in XY/ORAS, but I find it hart to explain well. I'll try.

When a Pokémon sprite has a certain animation and you let that Pokémon move by tapping it (summary) or using a move (in-battle), sometime the animation 'starts over again'.

Take Yveltal for instance.

Its animation starts by it flapping its wings down. When using a move, or when tapping it in the summary screen, the animation starts over before it starts doing the move. A lot of Pokémon with bigger movements in their animation have this. It completely changes position in 0,0001 frame, which is visible as a huge stutter, and it looks horrible. I hope you understand it. I might just record it with my iPhone real quick to add some visible support to this post.

On a side note, this is not only in Pokémon, though. A lot of games seem to have this.
They should always change the camera angle whenever it attacks to give the illusion that between the angle change a second or two has passed which would be enough time for the Pokemon to shift into its attacking pose. Otherwise if they want to make a smooth transition into the attack they'd need to have the player wait until the Pokemon's animation gets to a certain frame so that it can transition (and that would be annoying, we already have to for some reason wait when a Pokemon is afflicted with a status ailment and the ailment's animation is happening).

Admittedly the root of this problem has annoyed me since Gen 5, but Gen 6 seems like it's rubbing it in my face.

The fact that Kyurem doesn't get Icicle Crash. Not even just competitively, one of the major cutscenes in B2W2 depicts it forming Icicles to impale the player with, which could just as easily be dropped on something.

Now, the reason this irritates me now? Because Pikachu, fucking Pikachu, got Icicle Crash before Kyurem did. The latter is a legendary Ice beast of unbelievable mystical power, the latter is a rat that has no in universe logic for how it could use the move and only has the measly real world justification of being the mascot for the franchise and for a sidequest, its own role for that being a gimmick/crutch character at that.

Admittedly the root of this problem has annoyed me since Gen 5, but Gen 6 seems like it's rubbing it in my face.

The fact that Kyurem doesn't get Icicle Crash. Not even just competitively, one of the major cutscenes in B2W2 depicts it forming Icicles to impale the player with, which could just as easily be droppThat makes sense...ed on something.
While I agree wholeheartedly with you, everyone knows about Gamefreak's borked logic for handing out movesets. That's been around since the dawn of Pokemon. Hell, that alone would fill a thread! (Now that's a kinda neat idea...)

P.S. Yeah, silly learnsets annoy me a lot. Rattata with Thunderbolt, really? Nasty Plot to Togepi but not Gengar? Makes so much sense!

1. Mega Salamence
Did this thing really need to get one of the 2 abilities I was predicting (Aerialate or Tough Claws) and a boost to its speed?

2. Mega Rayquaza and Primal Mons
Sure, making broken Pokemon more broken does not affect the official Tournament rules anyways but really? Mega Evolutions without taking a Mega Slot (thats what Primals basicly are) or a Mega that can hold an item and is already without a threat?
Not to mention they got some insane high power moves that have little to no draw backs.

3. Battle Maison instead of Battle Frontier in ORAS

4. No Defog Tutor

5. Soft Resetting is a pain because of in-Game cut scenes and whatever you have to do to fight Landorus, Thundurus, Tornadus, Dialga, Palkia etc.

6. Synchro not 100 % Nature besides Lati@s (I believe)

Keep resetting for Natures wouldn't be a pain with the IVs where right.

7. Looking for TMs because stupid Islands have exclusive ones
I finally got Flash Cannon today.

8. No Mew Island like in Emerald in ORAS

The fact Shaymin-S reverts back at night or when put in the box.
I mean... it's a cute little flavour thing but then when you want to actually use it it becomes incredibly inconvenient, and unless you want to mess around with your 3DS' clock becomes impossible to do if you're up past 8PM, especially if like me you're in a situation where most of your Pokémon-playing friends are 5 hours behind you and hence you can only battle later. It's just a little ridiculous and a bit outdated by now.
And actually what on earth is the point of it reverting when it's put in the box? I mean... what?

While I agree wholeheartedly with you, everyone knows about Gamefreak's borked logic for handing out movesets. That's been around since the dawn of Pokemon. Hell, that alone would fill a thread! (Now that's a kinda neat idea...)

P.S. Yeah, silly learnsets annoy me a lot. Rattata with Thunderbolt, really? Nasty Plot to Togepi but not Gengar? Makes so much sense!
This reminds me, do we have a thread already for moveset oddities?

6. Synchro not 100 % Nature besides Lati@s (I believe)
Keep resetting for Natures wouldn't be a pain with the IVs where right.

7. Looking for TMs because stupid Islands have exclusive ones
I finally got Flash Cannon today.

8. No Mew Island like in Emerald in ORAS
6. THIS SO MUCH! I just don't get what the point of introducing that mechanic was if it's not going to be 100%. The only people who would even potentially be irritated by a 100% mechanic are people who play competitively in the first place and would probably only be using a Synchronize mon for the express purpose of finding that nature.

7. I don't mind the evolution item freebies, but yeah. I can't complete so many Pokemon because I cant find the damn Substitute TM.

8. I think Gamefreak might just be phasing in-game captures for Event Pokemon out at this point. We went from all the events bar Manaphy being "catchable" in Gen 4, to only Victini in Gen 5 (the rest were distribution only), and at this point, I think the only possible event encounter they could do is Volcanion, since there's no real place to put Hoopa and Diancie could've been in that shiny spot near the Alakazite by wasn't. Heck, Deoxys becoming a "regular" capture inidcates they may be moving some mons away from event exclusivity altogether (which I personally wouldn't mind).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^No, I'm pretty sure it was an older thread. Discussing things such as why the heck Primeape got Iron Tail, or why Bagon had Hydro Pump as an egg move, or why Mismagius could learn Nasty Plot while Gengar couldn't. Pretty sure it was in OI, but my search has been fruitless.

I'm sure that they just wanted Thunderbolt on Rattata for coverand who am I kidding?! They probably didn't want to give Gengar Nasty Plot because Focus Sash Nasty Plot Gengar would then be very difficult to beat, and even then, let alone without loosing at least half the team.

I've said it before, but I think Nasty Plot should be at least as well-distributed among special attackers as its physical counterpart Swords Dance is among the physical ones.

Discussing things such as why the heck Primeape got Iron Tail...
Incidentally Primeape points this out in PokePark Wii, observing that it's very strange that he can teach you to use Iron Tail despite not having the appendage himself.

(Anyway, it's pretty obvious why Primeape gets Iron Tail. Mankey has a tail.)

I've said it before, but I think Nasty Plot should be at least as well-distributed among special attackers as its physical counterpart Swords Dance is among the physical ones.
No, it shouldn't, because it is way easier to lower a mon's physical attack than its special. It seems that physical is meant to be a much more fluctuating stat than special, which is pretty stable. Hmm, this might also explain the special nerf, even though it wasn't all that noticeable in battle...

Here's something: why does Kadabra specifically get to evolve if traded while holding an Everstone?

I assume GameFreak wants to keep that as a feature (they could've fixed it by now), and it actually sounds like a pretty sweet two-for-one special--here, have a Pokemon and something to help out with breeding or to make getting Spore Breloom easier. (Even if trade-based evolutions are typically handled by touch-trade.) So why not just make that a feature for everything?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
If we're going to bitch about stuff involving design choices and whatnot, the least we can do is bitch about stuff that was intentional on Game Freak's part. The Kadabra thing is a glitch, and even then I believe it was fixed by X and Y.

If we're going to bitch about stuff involving design choices and whatnot, the least we can do is bitch about stuff that was intentional on Game Freak's part. The Kadabra thing is a glitch, and even then I believe it was fixed by X and Y.
It is. However, they keep it in for the entirety of Gen 4 and 5.

I will never understand why Nidorina and Nidoqueen are sterile though.

Oh, and NPC dialogues rarely make sense. I remember in Gen 2 and 4 that Eusine went on and on about Suicune being fast (it is the manifestation of the North Wind after all) but in practice, it had a base Speed of 85.

There was another one about how Lugia accidentally caused storms so you would presume it to have considerable offensive presence. However, it's offensive stats are its lowest and it only had 90 in both, which is actually pretty underwhelming.

Last edited:
No, I'm pretty sure it was an older thread. Discussing things such as why the heck Primeape got Iron Tail, or why Bagon had Hydro Pump as an egg move, or why Mismagius could learn Nasty Plot while Gengar couldn't. Pretty sure it was in OI, but my search has been fruitless.
Then perhaps we can make a new one? If yes, do I need to ask permission to the mods?

Another thing: Zapdos not getting Lightingrod. It fits so well, a legendary storm bird getting its power from thunderstorms, and it would be a good ability in general. But no, let the bird take neutral damage from Thunderbolts and give it frikkin' Pikachu-tier Static. And good chap Chandelure, did you want Shadow Tag? No, no, you'd be way overpowered with it. Better give it to poor Mega Gengar. It's not like it has absurd stats or anything.

Well, sort of. Kurona already asked, and got my permission (albet vaguely worded), but didn't make any thread yet.
O-oh, I didn't realize that counted as me getting permission to make it
fuck it, doing it

ANYWAY.
Something else that kind of annoys me is the Camerupt and Sharpedo you get from those grunts in the aftergame. Aside from maybe the berry they hold, they... don't really have anything special to them. No particularly good IVs, no special move, not even their hidden ability... it sort of makes me question the point. I think they might have had good natures, I guess???

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 13, Guests: 13)