Resource VGC 16: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it worth running bulky P.Don on this meta? Lets say 252HP/252ATK/4DEF adamant? I dont wanna invest in speed because it will work under tailwind or some icy wind/fake out support

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Is it worth running bulky P.Don on this meta? Lets say 252HP/252ATK/4DEF adamant? I dont wanna invest in speed because it will work under tailwind or some icy wind/fake out support
You might want to check out this thread as it has a good number of bulk benchmarks for surviving different things: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/primal-groudon-benchmarks.3561169/

A popular spread is 252 HP / 4 Def / 60 SpD (with the rest dumped in Atk), as it lets you live an earth power from opposing timid groudons and also lets you live a single target precipice blades from opposing jolly groudons.

i started running Enosh's groudon

that thing ohkos other PGs most of the time.

how well does special PG do against geomancy set-up xerneas.

ideally, you'd want a physical primal groudon to actually chunk xern after it has set up; earth power does pretty pitiful damage after a geomancy:

252+ SpA Primal Groudon Earth Power vs. +2 4 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 49-58 (24.2 - 28.7%) -- 97.4% chance to 4HKO

and xern 2hko's with moonblast / 3 hko's with dazzling gleam, so it doesn't fare that well.

e: if you happen to catch it with an eruption, it has a chance to ohko, so that's that i guess

i started running Enosh's groudon

that thing ohkos other PGs most of the time.

how well does special PG do against geomancy set-up xerneas.
Couldn't really find this supposed Enosh set and don't know what geomancy Xerneas runs so I just went with the cliche 252/252/4 spreads.

252+ SpA Primal Groudon Overheat vs. +2 4 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas in Harsh Sunshine: 103-123 (50.9 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Primal Groudon Earth Power vs. +2 4 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 49-58 (24.2 - 28.7%) -- 97.4% chance to 4HKO

So not great but not bad either if you wanna try and double on Xerneas.

So guys. I run a 252 HP 252 Attack and 4 def groudon.

But I was thinking it might be better to run 4 speed instead to outspeed other groudons like mine by one point.

Yay or nay?

I have soft resetted this Yveltal: Calm Nature 31/31/31/31/31/31
What is a good EV spread for it?
As an actual helpful response, with that nature you'd want to stick to a bulkier/move supportive Yveltal. 244 HP / 4 Atk / 28 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe is an EV Spread that was recommended to me on my RMT (with a Jolly Nature though), that hits some impressive benchmarks in terms of surviving hits. If you could figure out a spread to hit the same bulk with a Calm Nature, that'd be a good start. You'd probably have more EV's left to dump into Speed and SAtk too. As for a moveset, you'd want to be looking at a combination of Taunt / Protect / Tailwind / Snarl / Foul Play / Dark Pulse maaaybe Oblivion Wing depending on what your team needs.

As for a question of my own, anyone have any advice as to how to play around Mega Salamence? What sets are commonly run that I can expect? I'm using a team of Yveltal / Ferrothorn / Mega Kanga / Talonflame / P-Don / Thundurus

As an actual helpful response, with that nature you'd want to stick to a bulkier/move supportive Yveltal. 244 HP / 4 Atk / 28 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe is an EV Spread that was recommended to me on my RMT (with a Jolly Nature though), that hits some impressive benchmarks in terms of surviving hits. If you could figure out a spread to hit the same bulk with a Calm Nature, that'd be a good start. You'd probably have more EV's left to dump into Speed and SAtk too. As for a moveset, you'd want to be looking at a combination of Taunt / Protect / Tailwind / Snarl / Foul Play / Dark Pulse maaaybe Oblivion Wing depending on what your team needs.

As for a question of my own, anyone have any advice as to how to play around Mega Salamence? What sets are commonly run that I can expect? I'm using a team of Yveltal / Ferrothorn / Mega Kanga / Talonflame / P-Don / Thundurus
I feel that for example hp ice on Thundurus could be a good thing for mega salamence :)

I feel that for example hp ice on Thundurus could be a good thing for mega salamence :)
I do have it, but Salamence always switch out against it, I don't know how everyone predicts it all the time. Then they just back in and re-intimidate me, which usually costs me the game because I'll have my physical attackers in by then.

I do have it, but Salamence always switch out against it, I don't know how everyone predicts it all the time. Then they just back in and re-intimidate me, which usually costs me the game because I'll have my physical attackers in by then.
Because HP Ice on Thundy is extremely obvious, just as obvious as Thunder Wave. Nearly every Thundy set runs HP Ice.
In those situations, I know it sounds bizarre, but I like to toss T-Wave at it if they don't have Pdon in the back. Paralyzed Mence is dead mence if it stays in, and if switches to Khan or something to eat HP Ice, they eat yellow magic.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've seen Ice Beam Mega Kangaskhan once but it isn't that good. If you're feeling like it, use Natural Gift Ice Talonflame lol.
I would definitely second HP Ice Thundurus though, that's worked very well for me in the past but then again I haven't played VGC in a while.

As ProjectTitan said, it's almost rare to see a thundurus that doesn't have hp ice nowadays. If you play some mind games and go with something like t-wave you'll make them think twice about switching again when if you're able to keep your thundurus healthy.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Only 39.1% of Thundurus have Hidden Power, and I'd expect at least a quarter of those to be Water-type. It's probably just that people expect it after last year and don't want a paralyzed Mence when it does so well against Psycho Cut's team.

ProjectTitan313 + nightwolf , that's fair enough I guess. But yeah, I've started simply clicking Thunder Wave since it usually ends up crippling something, it's just annoying having to take an Aerialate-boosted Hyper Voice/Double-Edge on the turn it Mega Evolves.

Normally whenever I see it in Team Preview I usually lead with my only two special attackers since people always seem to lead with it (or any Intimidate Pokemon)

Because other than Groudons that are are 0 speed -speed IV/nature, you're not going to out-speed other groudons as they're going to have some kind of investment in speed.
Oh, I'm the only one who runs 252 Hp 252 Attack? What's the most common spread? But thanks, this is exactly what I needed.

nicholascookie

Banned deucer.
I was about to ask why but then I checked your sig. Anyone have an answer that's actually helpful?
Most Groudons either go max Speed+, max Speed, or min Speed- with investment to survive max SpA+ PDon EPower, you fucking ingrate. Get daddy nightwolf to tell you that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is White Kyurem viable in the current meta? If so, what would be a good spread? I just think it'd be cool to see some white dragon in the meta.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
Most Groudons either go max Speed+, max Speed, or min Speed- with investment to survive max SpA+ PDon EPower, you fucking ingrate. Get daddy nightwolf to tell you that?
First of all, you're the ungrateful one here. Next time try respecting people who put in the effort to write reports instead of hating on them for absolutely no reason.
Secondly, a quick glance at the usage stats shows this:
| Spreads |
| Jolly:4/252/0/0/0/252 11.347% |
| Timid:4/0/0/252/0/252 6.897% |
| Adamant:252/252/0/0/4/0 3.730% |
| Jolly:0/252/0/0/4/252 3.235% |
| Brave:252/252/0/0/4/0 3.068% |
| Timid:0/0/0/252/4/252 1.695% |
| Other 70.027% |
70% of the Groudons you'll see aren't on here, so I think there's some pretty fancy spreads out there; looking at the existing ones, though, it looks like they're mostly max speed (a notable exception being the 252/252/0/0/4/0 spread at #3). I personally think you should run 8 speed to outpace stuff like 252/252/0/0/0/4 which you might run into.
Is White Kyurem viable in the current meta? If so, what would be a good spread? I just think it'd be cool to see some white dragon in the meta.
The most common set for Kyurem-W is something like
Kyurem-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-Blizzard
-Fusion Flare
-Ice Beam
-Draco Meteor
Works especially well on Gravity teams.

Ok I hope this is cleared up but if we learnt anything from vgc 15 it's that meta is better than antimeta, unless the antimeta team is really good.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
Also, I saw someone using a Mega Abomasnow once on a Trick Room team. Would it be better to run mixed (with Wood Hammer for Kyogre) or fully special?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)