Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
*Sees discussion of leaks have been approved*

Ego: Hmm, should I read it?
Id: Go ahead! Leaks are just official announcements not made yet!
Super Ego: Or never will be! You promised yourself you wouldn't read leaks to make this game experience feel more genuine, like the first time you played. It's the 20th Anniversary afterall!
Id: Haven't you ever heard the phrase "it's the journey and not the destination"? So what if he knows a bit more than the average Joe going in, he still needs to play through it. Besides many of the people he talks to probably would have read it already.
Super Ego: But remember how surprised you were playing XY when you found Goomy or Begmite for the first time? Or how much you enjoyed the Looker Mission's story? Also what if these leaks are fake? You'd be setting yourself up for disappointment.
Id: Would you listen to yourself? He'll be both disappointed if he reads it and its true and its fake? If it's fake who cares! Just means he can go into the game blind like you want him to do. And if its real why would it be any less exciting, it'll just be an excitement of finally discovering what he read about.
Ego: Okay enough devil and angel! You know what, I'm just going to look at it.
Id: Score one for the the two letter man!
Super Ego: Well we'll see about that.

1. Fire/Poison, No Context: So the leak just said there would be a Fire/Poison-type. It didn't describe. Red flag already. Also, I feel had this leak known about Salandit they'd also know it more heavily leans on Poison-type so would have said Poison/Fire. If this is right from official sources that would be the way the official source would say its typing is.

2. No League nor Gyms:
Tauros Mulch! Calling it, this is fake. Probably stems from the theory the empty lots all over the map are connected to the Gyms. But let's play with the idea. So you're going to be "building" the League. Well first how were you put in charge of that task? Is there someone who wants to build a League, sees you're from Kanto, and asks to help build one? Well I guess after somehow obtaining the task you'll then look around for local residents to be Gym Leaders.
As for the Elite Four, they'll be like the owner of the islands? Either they are the owners/leaders or they aren't. If they are that means they're strong trainers so wouldn't you want one of them to be a Gym Leader (especially since you'd want them to be on their island doing their leader duties). If they aren't I don't think the native Alola people would be happy about foreigners coming in claiming they're not their leaders.
Finally, who's going to be Champion? It would be anti-climatic just to beat the Elite Four and become Champion then and there.

3. Final Starter Themes: Archer, Wrestler, & Siren. Siren is the Popplio's since its Water/Fairy. But archer and wrestler... well wrestler doesn't fit Rowlet so guess it's archer? But then Litten would be the wrestler, thus Fire/Fighting, and GF would have to be INCREDIBLY STUPID to do another Fire/Fighting starter after the outcry of having 3 in a row. Also I don't see how these themes fit together. Not saying the Starter's final need a theme, but when you're giving them all secondary concepts aside just a stronger version of what they are I kind of expect it to sort of matching. Oh, and once again the siren being Water/Fairy is based on the website having put the Fairy-type logo after the Water, so there's previous existence of the idea.

4. Synchro Diamond: Ugh, you know my opinion on Synchro. I swear if Synchros actually don't exist I'm going to be more furious. Not because I want it, Arceus no, but because it means the anime writers not only made something up instead of giving Ash a Mega BUT then caused everyone wanting the stupid mechanic to exist in the games. Also, this sounds JUST like Mega Evolution except making the Pokemon look like the trainer. JUST STICK WITH MEGA EVOLUTION! I don't want my Pokemon to change its appearance slightly so it resembles me, I want the Pokemon to become the super form of what it is. I want to see its full potential unleashed via my bond with it, not my bond dressing it up and taking away personality from it!

5. New Pokemon: Eh, nothing to really say here. They're just stuff people want to see be turned into Pokemon.
Dolphin has always been a popular choice.
Snowman is a bit odd for a tropical region (and I'd imagine they would go for a yeti-like creature which we have in the Snover family), but there are those mountains and Snover family is also part Grass-type so they could want a more pure Ice-type.
Sea Cucumber is okay.
Rockruff evolving into a werewolf, hmm, I'll let the jury decide that one. I guess it sort of fits, though if that was a case I'd honestly would want two evolutions for it. Werewolves are linked to the moon so I'd also would like to see an evolution on something linked to the sun. Or if they do have this maybe make it a form change type of deal.
All I'll say about the mushroom Pokemon is that they need to do something special with it (which they can, I have a few on my Repository List).
Rugby Monkey? Is rugby popular in Hawaii? Or are they confusing Hawaii for Australia again?
Guessing the "Overlords" are referring to Tapu Koko and his fellow guardians.

6. Marshadow Type: Gee, a unique typing, color me impressed. It's not like we've seen any Alola Pokemon with a unique typing yet... Seriously, that's the best they got? If you know its a unique typing then TELL US THE TYPE!

This "leak" has the tall tell signs of being fake. It's VERY vague and I think if someone was leaking information they'd be more specific. It's not like them being vague would save them from being fired since they revealed major news like their being no League. And if their quitting why would they care if they reveal major info (aside it hurting their career in the industry). There's no point in being vague if you also reveal some major info. The only difference between this leak and the hundreds of others that are out there is that this one just so happened to guess there would be a "Fire/Poison" type (but giving no further info beyond that). They just got lucky with one of their guesses, that's all this "leak" tells me.

I'll many another post if I see any comments I want to respond to.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
If it's a free for all I might as well post this, the "other" set of starter leaks that's been floating around for a while

That being said, I absolutely love that archer rowlet evo. Using its wings as a bow is a really clever idea, even if it wouldn't make sense irl.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
In regards to Rockruff evolving into a werewolf, the offical Pokemon site actually hints at this, and their page on Rockruff actually came out only a week ago! http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/pokemon/rockruff/

Granted, it could just be a lucky guess, or maybe the site means that it just.. evolves into a wolf, but I still find that a bit suspcious at least!
Which is why I didn't fully throw out the werewolf idea.

Who says a wrestler needs to be Fire/Fighting though? It can just as easily be Fire/Dark, and we see Litten's evo spitting what appears to be poison of some kind in the art.
Still, the fact that it's a concept that would be connected to Fighting to me is stupid. If its not Fighting-type why make it a wrestler then? Unless the leaker made a mistake on what they meant.

Total speculation on my part of course, but since the E3 footage mentions Tapu Koko "visiting" the protagonist, maybe that's the reason why you're entrusted with forming the league. Maybe in a way, Tapu Koko "choosing you" means that they see potential in you.
Maybe, though why just now choose to make a League? Tapu Koko trusts Hala, why didn't he make the league then with the other strongest island trainers?

Also another thing about making the League: unless they give you a choice of which trainer and type the Gyms would be, if they have it so for all games its the same person you recruit why bother? Now if they give you a choice that's a different story, but at the same time that would mean the designers would need to create a whole set of characters which many would go unused. Plus that would throw continuity out the window as you can't have another game say they were all Gym Leaders (I mean they could, but that would kind of made the player's choice pointless).

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Which is why I didn't fully throw out the werewolf idea.

Still, the fact that it's a concept that would be connected to Fighting to me is stupid. If its not Fighting-type why make it a wrestler then? Unless the leaker made a mistake on what they meant.

Maybe, though why just now choose to make a League? Tapu Koko trusts Hala, why didn't he make the league then with the other strongest island trainers?

Also another thing about making the League: unless they give you a choice of which trainer and type the Gyms would be, if they have it so for all games its the same person you recruit why bother? Now if they give you a choice that's a different story, but at the same time that would mean the designers would need to create a whole set of characters which many would go unused. Plus that would throw continuity out the window as you can't have another game say they were all Gym Leaders (I mean they could, but that would kind of made the player's choice pointless).
The leak actually said fire/ poison lizard, instead of just fire/poison.

But I get what you mean.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The leak actually said fire/ poison lizard, instead of just fire/poison.

But I get what you mean.
Someone needs to tell these "leakers" it's a salamander. :P

Doesn't the art make it official?
There a plenty of good artists out there that can fake concept design pics. A picture means nothing unless from an official or trusted source.

If those leaked concepts are anything close to the final product, than it looks like we're in for another decent slate of final evos this generation.

I'm pretty neutral on the Green Arrow, but I see that the overall response has been positive.

I love the Were Tiger. That is one buffed tiger, and I love the expressions he has in the concept art! I think overall, this is my favorite of the concepts!

And then we have the beautiful selkie. Okay, so maybe if this is real, then you'll want to go for the female option, and if you want to IV breed for one, it will be like breeding for a Combee (not fun), but there is no doubt the design fixes everything that was wrong with Popplio.

A sea cucumber sounds interesting. And how many people have wanted a Dolphin Pokémon for a long time? And finally, a snowman Pokémon sounds interesting.

And it looks like they want to really break up the monotony if YOU are responsible for founding the Alola League!

I look forward to seeing if these leaks are actually real.

I'm not a fan of neither picture leaks of the evolved starters, although one can't really be sure what to think until you get to see the official final stuff, eh?

So, free for all weekend? Time to bring in some other stuff that I haven't seen around:
http://sylveon.tumblr.com/image/147035012580

Transcipt (shamelessly copy-pasted from another forum):
- The supposed new mechanic involving the crystals is called a "Soul Bond"
- Your Pokemon can use a new ultimate move when the Soul Bond meter is full
- The crystals (in the Japanese logo and player's bracelet) are called Bond Gems, that are acquired in the main story
- Two supposed new Pokemon are mentioned - a Water/Normal beaver named Copybara and a Ground/Fighting gorilla named Georilla
- Descriptions of the final starter evolutions - Rowlet becomes an archer that stays Grass/Flying, Litten becomes a muscular bipedal tiger that is Fire/Dark, and Popplio becomes a mermaid-like seal that is Water/Fairy. Seems to likely match this artwork: http://imgur.com/a/xbYQ9
- Lillie is apparently the daughter of the main villain who led a rich company who built an artificial island and has a goal of trying to catch the four island guardians of Alola (one of which we know is Tapu Koko)
- There will be 90 new Pokemon introduced in this generation
- The leaker mentions some of this content will likely get revealed in the trailer due to come out on July 16th

To me this looks like we have got ourselves quite an overlap of stuff going on.
At first, I was really sceptical about the whole "no gyms" thing, but putting both supposed leaks together:
-> You try to build a league with gyms whereas the evil team wants to make Alola into a touristic paradise opposed to a league? Definitely sounds catchy and intriguing - although very, very unusual of course.

The trailer is arriving on July 16th!? That's one day after my nineteenth birthday! Man, I feel old. Even better if the Japanese trailer receives an official post a day early.

Also another thing about making the League: unless they give you a choice of which trainer and type the Gyms would be, if they have it so for all games its the same person you recruit why bother? Now if they give you a choice that's a different story, but at the same time that would mean the designers would need to create a whole set of characters which many would go unused.
That can be partially sorted out by you only choosing the leaders, while they pick everything else. Also, there would be only so many possible combinations given the tipically VERY linear nature of Pokemon main stories.

About the potentially unused designs... maybe some kind of WiFi feature where you can fight in other players' leagues?

Wait, that sounds good.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Game-wise, the idea of building your own league is nice, but I really don't want to see them pull a Green Oak with Hala.
That can be partially sorted out by you only choosing the leaders, while they pick everything else. Also, there would be only so many possible combinations given the tipically VERY linear nature of Pokemon main stories.
It's a neat idea, though I wonder a few things:

1. Maybe its a bit too grand thing to do at first. Like I had the idea of in one game you move into a small town and you help build it up by gaining notoriety, inviting people, helping it expand, etc.. Same idea but with only one town and makes it more personal. Making a whole league though sounds like a later idea, something bigger.

2. That all said, if any place wouldn't have a League it probably would be a secluded location like Alola. Never had a region for a League but for some reason they are making one now and you just so happened to come at that time. But at the same time I do feel maybe Alola is too "established" to do this with. While they may not have a League they may have something close enough and you're just getting them together to make it an official Pokemon League. I mean there are Starters and I doubt you and your rival are the first trainer to be getting them, what do they expect new trainers to do? There has to be some base, though at that point it's just another Pokemon League with a different name.

And as I pointed, even if you're given a choice to name a Gym Leader that means they'd need to create a batch of potential candidates on whom many won't get picked. But what if in a future game they want to have the Alola Gym Leaders cameo? Will they just say all the candidates at some point became Gym Leaders? Well that kind of makes your choices pointless. Sure they can do a Memory Link thing for your personal experience but what if you don't?

Can you point that at the people who told me it was a Salamander as a reason it was fire type. It's either a lizard (thus not explaining the Fire-type) or a salamander (which goes against what its Category name).

I have a feeling that Salandit will be used by the evil team alooot ...and that we'll be needing alooot of Antidotes.

I do like the design though. Kinda reminds me of that other bandit/crook reptile of this series.
If this happens i can read the IGN review in my mind: Too much poison 7,5/10

Reactions: JES
Can you point that at the people who told me it was a Salamander as a reason it was fire type. It's either a lizard (thus not explaining the Fire-type) or a salamander (which goes against what its Category name).
Toxic Lizard Category = Poison Type.
Salandit = Salamander + Bandit. Salamander = Fire Type.

And even if we just use Lizard, Dragon are big lizard = Fire.

Also what Count Bleck said.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Salamander means "fire lizard" in greek. Its both a mythical dragon and an amphibian. So its actually both :P
Alright, got me beat there. Though would you try to convince me otherwise if I say it doesn't look like a salamander (honestly I thought it was a crocodile/alligator at first)?

that wrestler final evo looks like it's shooting flames from its' wiener

In regards to Rockruff evolving into a werewolf, the offical Pokemon site actually hints at this, and their page on Rockruff actually came out only a week ago! http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/pokemon/rockruff/

Granted, it could just be a lucky guess, or maybe the site means that it just.. evolves into a wolf, but I still find that a bit suspcious at least!
What if there is an evolve mechanic that makes you evolve a pokemon after releasing it??

I'm not buying any of these leaks. A large amount of it matches up too closely to the current speculation. It seems like a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts. Considering how much the Smash Bros community has been burned by leaks lately (Tower of Smash, Rayman, etc.), I'm not too thrilled to get back into them. I will say that Rockruff evolving into a werewolf along with the bipedal starters matches up with the hint at Syncro in CoroCoro. That said, I hate the idea of Syncro. I already dislike humanoid Pokemon as it is, and this seems really fan-fiction-esque.

EDIT: Wait a minute... They're warming a teapot on Litten evo in a err strange spot in that artwork.

What if there is an evolve mechanic that makes you evolve a pokemon after releasing it??
That's been a proposed theory for a while. There's just way too much that could go wrong there, imo. Also we have to consider that you're probably not just gonna get One Single Rockruff, Forever™. You're gonna be able to breed them and stuff and it'd just be too frustrating to release and retrieve them. Especially if it happens at inopportune times/takes a long time, because the text says Rockruff just comes back on its own.
At best, it's probably just a nighttime thing and it's possibly related to the moon. Maybe it actually does leave your side briefly, but it's just gonna be extremely short if anything.

Also, on the topic of the starter art I just don't like the fur-bait art style of Litten's evolution there, nor the fact that it's shaping up to be easy r34 material another bipedal, possibly fire/fight mon. I know people will argue it's for synchro evolution, but see also: Popplio has no legs.

I also don't see:

1. just how Tapu Koko liking you makes you destined to build an entire Pokemon league. (please don't mention Suicune and Mespirit; they react to you once you've already been a trainer for a while and if anything notice how far you've progressed compared to others. they also have acute perception and likely see you as worthy of their trust)

2. how the box legendaries tie into the game at all (reminder: official site says they hold a "key").

3. how Zygarde fits.

The presumptive leak is right about one or two little things but it still leaves a lot more questions than answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)