Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

I'm going to try and not theorymon here. Species clause reduces matchup dependancy. Is your team prepared to deal with 4 Zygardes with different sets? How about two Pexs? I think there are some notable casualties of this clause like running multiple rotoms and silvallys or arceus or hoopas but for the most part species clause prevents many cheese strategies. Perhaps one day there could be more nuance at how it treats obviously different forms like Hoopa (ie Hoopa-C is 720-A and Hoopa-U is 720-B from the perspective of the team checker and therefore different) but it's definitely one of the most important clauses after sleep clause.
Hmm, doesn't banning overcentralizing pokemon also increase matchup dependency by making the meta more diverse? I would love for there to be a supect test for this, now that I think about it

Outspeeding shouldn't be of your concern. CB Ttar is a Wallbreaker, it's supposed to take out, or heavily dent the defensive backbone of the enemy team, because there are no real switchins to it (except for some memes like Cartoon's defensive Keldeo). Bringing it in via slow Volt Switch/U-Turn is the easiest way, but predictions and double switches work just as well.

About which move to use... there's no real answer, you just need to look at your opponent's team and think about what he will most likely switch into your Ttar, and then you click the move that will dent that mon the most. If there are no moves with which you can really hurt it, or if you are in vs a mon you already threaten out, then click Pursuit.
hmm ok

You can see movesets and most common teammates used by the top players here: https://www.smogon.com/stats/2018-03/moveset/gen7ou-1825.txt
ty much appreciated :>

I noticed in the useage stats that Marowak Alola is being used with Careful/Impish nature and a bulky ev spread. Can anyone tell me how people are utilizing Marowak currently other than trick room?

I noticed in the useage stats that Marowak Alola is being used with Careful/Impish nature and a bulky ev spread. Can anyone tell me how people are utilizing Marowak currently other than trick room?
there was a fat marowak set with stealth rock shadow bone fire punch wisp/knock off floating around in the first month of sm that ran leftovers but that set is hot garbage atm. i think you could maybe run like sub 3 attacks or sub sd but marowak-a is generally only good on trick room cause stuff like zardx just do its job better.

Z-Heal Bell Magearna, meme or dream? I think AV Mag is kind of underwhelming and I'd like to check out some less common sets.
It can work situationally, I am surprised you find AV Magearna underwhelming seeing as it is probably the best specially defensive pivot in the tier.

This is a small question of passage (out of curiosity). Since the advent of the Over Used in gen 7, eight mons have been banned in Uber: Zygarde-C, Aegislash and Landorus-I are quickbans at the end of 2016. Then, we had the suspects of Genesect, Pheromosa, Mega-Metagross and Arena Trap (after a first attempt) running 2017. The last change is the quickban of Naganadel last November. Most of these decisions are certainly irreversible (for good reason) and are effective until a possible gen 8, but I come back to the example of
Sprite_6_x_645.png
Landorus-Incarnate. Since its quickan in December 2016, the main change is the distribution of Mega-Latias (and by extension Mega-Latios, which are the rare counters of this mon). The latters are apparently much strongers and playeds in the USUM metagame that during ORAS (the time they appeared), suggesting that the current OU meta is much better prepared to host a monster like Landorus-I. Can we therefore reasonably imagine (in the manner of Aegislash in April 2015) that Landorus-I will be retested in OU the time still available for gen 7?

Last edited:
This is a small question of passage (out of curiosity). Since the advent of the Over Used in gen 7, eight mons have been banned in Uber: Zygarde-C, Aegislash and Landorus-I are quickbans at the end of 2016. Then, we had the suspects of Genesect, Pheromosa, Mega-Metagross and Arena Trap (after a first attempt) running 2017. The last change is the quickban of Naganadel last November. Most of these decisions are certainly irreversible (for good reason) and are effective until a possible gen 8, but I come back to the example of View attachment 112452Landorus-Incarnate. Since its quickan in December 2016, the main change is the distribution of Mega-Latias (and by extension Mega-Latios, which are the rare counters of this mon). The latters are apparently much strongers and playeds in the USUM metagame that during ORAS (the time they appeared), suggesting that the current OU meta is much better prepared to host a monster like Landorus-I. Can we therefore reasonably imagine (in the manner of Aegislash in April 2015) that Landorus-I will be retested in OU the time still available for gen 7?
I think the obvious answer here is no, and even more specifically, definitely no until Zeraora is released (which is the last unreleased mon for Gen 7 other than Floette-E). For better or worse even if Landorus has a few good checks (I mean Cresselia is a thing that was out when it was banned that beats most varients) it's just too versatile and strong for OU. Even the shittiest Ubers hypercentralize the metagame and lack sufficient counterplay to be healthy. You're more likely to see bans (also unlikely) than drops imo.

Last edited:
This is a small question of passage (out of curiosity). Since the advent of the Over Used in gen 7, eight mons have been banned in Uber: Zygarde-C, Aegislash and Landorus-I are quickbans at the end of 2016. Then, we had the suspects of Genesect, Pheromosa, Mega-Metagross and Arena Trap (after a first attempt) running 2017. The last change is the quickban of Naganadel last November. Most of these decisions are certainly irreversible (for good reason) and are effective until a possible gen 8, but I come back to the example of View attachment 112452Landorus-Incarnate. Since its quickan in December 2016, the main change is the distribution of Mega-Latias (and by extension Mega-Latios, which are the rare counters of this mon). The latters are apparently much strongers and playeds in the USUM metagame that during ORAS (the time they appeared), suggesting that the current OU meta is much better prepared to host a monster like Landorus-I. Can we therefore reasonably imagine (in the manner of Aegislash in April 2015) that Landorus-I will be retested in OU the time still available for gen 7?
Council most likely won't suspect anything for the long foreseeable future. OU meta right now is highly stable and council exists to maintain the stability so freeing stuff that can potentially destroy the stability isn't in their interest.

Hmm, doesn't banning overcentralizing pokemon also increase matchup dependency by making the meta more diverse? I would love for there to be a supect test for this, now that I think about it
Although I know smogon voted on this clause in the past (and obviously decided to keep it), this is one of Nintendo's own rules, and I don't think it will ever be changed by them or us. Not to mention that a suspect for something like this would be very chaotic and would take months if not years to truly ascertain all the effects it would have on the meta, which is far too long.

Although I know smogon voted on this clause in the past (and obviously decided to keep it), this is one of Nintendo's own rules, and I don't think it will ever be changed by them or us. Not to mention that a suspect for something like this would be very chaotic and would take months if not years to truly ascertain all the effects it would have on the meta, which is far too long.
months/years is an exaggeration

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
ok let’s drop this “species clause test xDD” discussion please, not only does it make very little sense to remove an essential element of the game as we know it but this is also not the place for tiering policy discussion, PM council member Finchinator with any concerns regarding this instead

What ev spread does AV amoongus run?
Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb / Clear Smog
- Stomping Tantrum
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Defense EVs ensure you always take a +2 Knock Off from Kartana after rocks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)