Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Hope I can get some advice for this question: What's a reliable Rapid Spin user in the OU metagame? I often use my Starmie, which I know is placed in the UU category, but honestly works really well for me as a utility spinner, even in OU. With Natural Cure as its ability and Recover as another one of its moves I find it very easy to bring it in multiple times in a fight to clear out entry hazards on my side of the field. But I was wondering if there's a possible bulkier replacement for it. Not looking for a Defog user, as I like setting hazards myself, and would like it if they stayed on the field.
It's really hard to fin some good rapid spin user in OU. Excadril comes to mind if you're using some HO builds, as it works well there as a suicide lead, but that's all. I don't see Starmie with a clear niche in OU, but I think its defensive set can put some utility in balanced hazard stack teams. Currently, defog users are the most common and there are a lot of options

E: sniped :pirate:

Thanks for the replies guys. I've tried Excadrill before, but honestly it didn't fit well into my team. Or maybe I was just not using it right. Still relatively new to competitive and getting used to it. You guys guessed correctly that I like to stack hazards, but my team is somewhat vulnerable to hazards itself (eg: Volcarona on my team) so I currently keep the Starmie just to remove them. I ran Mega Sableye quite a lot (and still do sometimes) as he deters hazard setup, but I found that with many Fairy types around he will get bullied out of the field eventually so it's not a reliable strategy.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've tried Excadrill before, but honestly it didn't fit well into my team. Or maybe I was just not using it right. Still relatively new to competitive and getting used to it. You guys guessed correctly that I like to stack hazards, but my team is somewhat vulnerable to hazards itself (eg: Volcarona on my team) so I currently keep the Starmie just to remove them. I ran Mega Sableye quite a lot (and still do sometimes) as he deters hazard setup, but I found that with many Fairy types around he will get bullied out of the field eventually so it's not a reliable strategy.
Try defog if you are running Volcarona on your team (which as you said is very vulnerable to hazards). There's no need to force rapid spin on your team when defog does the same job. Also, with the USM move tutors, many OU viable pokemon now learn defog so it should be easy to find one that fits well on your team. Good luck!

Well in that case, could you please recommend some good Defog users I could give maybe give a whirl? My team isn't hyper offensive; most of my Pokemon have some sort of stall or recovery moves, and I somewhat rely on walling in foes and stacking hazards onto them before planning a potential sweep.

What’s the reasoning behind Naive being the primary nature for mixed Defiant Thundurus while Hasty isn’t even mentioned as an alternative in the analysis (nor is it explained why Naive is preferable to Hasty)?

What’s the reasoning behind Naive being the primary nature for mixed Defiant Thundurus while Hasty isn’t even mentioned as an alternative in the analysis (nor is it explained why Naive is preferable to Hasty)?
Naive is better because there is more physical priority than special that Thundurus can tank (i.e Bullet Punch from M-Scizor and Quick Attack from M-Pinsir)

Last edited:
What is the difference between av bulu and av tang, it seems like av bulu outclasses av tang, but I was wondering if av tang had any reason to be used over av bulu

What is the difference between av bulu and av tang, it seems like av bulu outclasses av tang, but I was wondering if av tang had any reason to be used over av bulu
The main reason you would use av tang over av bulu is because of access to Knock Off and Earthquake aswell as Regenerator, which is a really good ability in general. Which lets Tangrowth form very potent 'Regenerator cores' with Pokemon like Toxapex and Tornadus-T.

I enjoy building teams around under rated pokemon. What, in your guys opinion, is/are the best pokemon to build around that aren’t ranked on the viability list?

Edit: I am leaning towards CB Entei at the moment. Any suggestions for teammates/cores or better ideas of pokemon to build around?

Last edited:
Any viability associated with HP Ice on Celesteela? I'm RNG'ing one and was just wondering if it's worth the effort to get one with HP Ice

Felixx

I'm back.
I enjoy building teams around under rated pokemon. What, in your guys opinion, is/are the best pokemon to build around that aren’t ranked on the viability list?

Edit: I am leaning towards CB Entei at the moment. Any suggestions for teammates/cores or better ideas of pokemon to build around?
Specs regular Kyurem is pretty okay, basically you just need to predict with Earth Power so you can hit Pex/Mag. Other ideas would be Diggersby, who has a small niche of being a strong Ground-type that can break Stall without taking your Landorus slot, and Specs Primarina, which can bust holes into teams since it's really strong and can check Ash-Gren.

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader

if you want to build around Entei, you need a solid answer for Ground- and Water-types like Lando, Toxapex, Gastrodon, and Greninja, since all of those can threaten Entei out pretty easily. I would advise pairing it with Pokemon that can provide VoltTurn support. Tapu Koko can deal with the majority of the Water-types that prevent Entei from spamming its Fire STAB, while Mega Scizor baits in Steel-types and can U-turn into Entei to take advantage of them. I would also definitely recommend some sort of hazard control (Torn-T, Zapdos, etc) as Entei can be easily worn down by hazards and Fire isn’t the best type in finding opportunites to switch in freely.

Any viability associated with HP Ice on Celesteela? I'm RNG'ing one and was just wondering if it's worth the effort to get one with HP Ice
Unless your team is severely very weak to Zygarde and/or Gliscor, then I’d say no. Celesteela can handle any other Ground-type pretty comfortably due to Leech Seed, and missing out on Slam / Flamethrower / Protect or even EQ seems suboptimal.

Last edited:
Is it better for a Pokemon to have high HP and low defenses or vice-versa?

This is for all generations and formats, really. A high 100/50/50 pokemon will be just as bulky as a 50/100/100 one, while "using" less BST. But lower HP pokemon tend to benefit more from HP drain effects and such, and also get a bigger relative boost while using 252 HP EVs. What do you think?

A high 100/50/50 pokemon will be just as bulky as a 50/100/100 one
Thats not correct. A mon with 50/100/100 is significantly bulkier.
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Chansey: 172-204 (50.4 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO This chansey has 100 hp and 50 def.
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Chansey: 100-118 (41.4 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO This chansey has 50 hp and 100 def.

Even if they were equally bulky, it's more efficient to invest EVs when your Pokemon has HP and high defenses. The higher a base stat is, the less of an effect EVs have, and vice-versa.. Look up the sets for high-HP Pokemon like Snorlax, Guzzlord and Alomomola and you'll notice that almost none of them max out their HP EVs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)