Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Thats not correct. A mon with 50/100/100 is significantly bulkier.
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Chansey: 172-204 (50.4 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO This chansey has 100 hp and 50 def.
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Chansey: 100-118 (41.4 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO This chansey has 50 hp and 100 def.
Its actually roughly the same, I think Eviolite influenced the calculations my dude. You also should calulate with EVs, because that matters
0 SpA Mew Genesis Supernova vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 72-84 (23.6 - 27.6%) -- 81.2% chance to 4HKO (50 HP)
0 SpA Mew Genesis Supernova vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 108-127 (26.7 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO (50 SpD)
0 SpA Mew Genesis Supernova vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 99-117 (32.5 - 38.4%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO (50 HP)
0 SpA Mew Genesis Supernova vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 172-203 (42.5 - 50.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO (50 SpD)

Its actually roughly the same, I think Eviolite influenced the calculations my dude. You also should calulate with EVs, because that matters
0 SpA Mew Genesis Supernova vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 72-84 (23.6 - 27.6%) -- 81.2% chance to 4HKO (50 HP)
0 SpA Mew Genesis Supernova vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 108-127 (26.7 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO (50 SpD)
0 SpA Mew Genesis Supernova vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 99-117 (32.5 - 38.4%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO (50 HP)
0 SpA Mew Genesis Supernova vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 172-203 (42.5 - 50.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO (50 SpD)
Oh word you right, good call

So is Autotomize Celesteela still viable? I feel like there are better things to run a Z-move on (SSSS Lando and Torn-T, any of the three or four crazy Z-move options Volc could run, etc.) but it also feels like it isn't very prepared for nowadays. I feel like the last thing I'd want to see when trying to switch in on a defensive variant is that thing staring down everything but my fastest scarfers and ready to blow something up with a Z-move.

I used to see that set every so often. As of recently I've seen literally none and even when I want to run it sometimes I have to ask myself why I'm not running Torn-T instead.

So is Autotomize Celesteela still viable? I feel like there are better things to run a Z-move on (SSSS Lando and Torn-T, any of the three or four crazy Z-move options Volc could run, etc.) but it also feels like it isn't very prepared for nowadays. I feel like the last thing I'd want to see when trying to switch in on a defensive variant is that thing staring down everything but my fastest scarfers and ready to blow something up with a Z-move.

I used to see that set every so often. As of recently I've seen literally none and even when I want to run it sometimes I have to ask myself why I'm not running Torn-T instead.
It's not really anymore as a lot of good, reliable counterplay to the set is really easy to put on teams as of rn. With good, reliable counterplay I'm referring to Pokemon like Zapdos, Toxapex, and Heatran (for example) as they're all really popular right now(though, admittedly, Celesteela can lure all of these with different z-moves, 1 still leaves it walled by another, though). Mew is also starting to pop up more which is a straight up counter to any possible Autotomize Celesteela set if it manages to Soft-Boiled on the turn Celesteela uses its z-move.

Thats not correct. A mon with 50/100/100 is significantly bulkier.
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Chansey: 172-204 (50.4 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO This chansey has 100 hp and 50 def.
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Chansey: 100-118 (41.4 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO This chansey has 50 hp and 100 def.
I think he means base stats, not EVs

General thoughts on using Z-Terrakion sans SR but with EQ? I personally prefer to stick SR on something else because I hate choosing whether to click SR or SD when I expect a free turn.

Calcs:

+1 252 Atk Terrakion Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-Therian: 340-402 (89 - 105.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Terrakion Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 104+ Def Celesteela: 469-553 (118.1 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Terrakion Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth: 372-438 (92.3 - 108.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Terrakion Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 300-354 (99 - 116.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

The only relevant thing nailed by EQ would be Toxapex as far as walls go, but EQ does allow Terrakion to 1v1 other less notable things more reliably without having to resort to CC and its concomitant defense drop (e.g. Tran/Zone/Tar/Volc). The defense drop can be important because Terrakion can 1v1 a lot of unboosted sweepers, provided it had an opportunity to nab a Sword Dance.

Against Koko:

+2 252 Atk Terrakion Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Tapu Koko: 249-293 (88.6 - 104.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion in Electric Terrain: 195-231 (60.3 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Stone Edge also OHKOes but a miss feels bad.

It gets completely checked by Ash-Gren, Kartana, Hawlucha, and M-Latios though. Other than that, Terrakion has the tools to defeat any defensive pokemon in the tier bar unaware Clef and Quag.

Since Smogon tournaments use only level 100 Pokemon, does that mean I have to train every single Pokemon to level 100 to be able to viably play in Smogon tournaments? Because that's a massive pain in the ass.
Also if they automatically get set to 100 in tournaments no matter their level, how can I do this when playing against people on the Discord channel? I haven't seen this option anywhere in the link battle rule sets, and choosing the level 50 setting locks out "special" Pokemon who are tier viable.

Last edited:
Since Smogon tournaments use only level 100 Pokemon, does that mean I have to train every single Pokemon to level 100 to be able to viably play in Smogon tournaments? Because that's a massive pain in the ass.
Official Smogon tournaments mostly take place on Pokemonshowdown or Smogtours, not on the ds.

Official Smogon tournaments mostly take place on Pokemonshowdown or Smogtours, not on the ds.
Really? How is this done? Is there a way to utilize this outside of tournaments for battling others just to test teams out?

And is the 3DS even relevant to smogon then?

Last edited by a moderator:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
General thoughts on using Z-Terrakion sans SR but with EQ? I personally prefer to stick SR on something else because I hate choosing whether to click SR or SD when I expect a free turn.

Calcs:

+1 252 Atk Terrakion Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-Therian: 340-402 (89 - 105.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Terrakion Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 104+ Def Celesteela: 469-553 (118.1 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Terrakion Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth: 372-438 (92.3 - 108.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Terrakion Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 300-354 (99 - 116.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

The only relevant thing nailed by EQ would be Toxapex as far as walls go, but EQ does allow Terrakion to 1v1 other less notable things more reliably without having to resort to CC and its concomitant defense drop (e.g. Tran/Zone/Tar/Volc). The defense drop can be important because Terrakion can 1v1 a lot of unboosted sweepers, provided it had an opportunity to nab a Sword Dance.

Against Koko:

+2 252 Atk Terrakion Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Tapu Koko: 249-293 (88.6 - 104.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion in Electric Terrain: 195-231 (60.3 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Stone Edge also OHKOes but a miss feels bad.

It gets completely checked by Ash-Gren, Kartana, Hawlucha, and M-Latios though. Other than that, Terrakion has the tools to defeat any defensive pokemon in the tier bar unaware Clef and Quag.
SD Terrakion isn’t unviable by any stretch of the imagination, but often times you’ll find it struggling to obtain many free turns and also not pressuring the defensive threats of the metagame much better than the likes of offensive Landorus-T or other top-tier threats (like Kartana, if you’d like another physically attacking comparison of a more consistent threat atm). I wouldn’t run SR on it, but at the same time I don’t think EQ is necessary either. This set isn’t outright unviable, but there are definitely better Pokemon who fulfill similar roles and can work on more teams!

What are the best resources for understanding the OU metagame at a high level for the last few gens? (V - VII really). Are there any decent articles that do a good 'round-up' of all the major themes, playstyles, common teams for each gen? Perhaps moreso for V/VI as VII is still active. And if it's not an article or two, what would be the best way to understand some major concepts?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What are the best resources for understanding the OU metagame at a high level for the last few gens? (V - VII really). Are there any decent articles that do a good 'round-up' of all the major themes, playstyles, common teams for each gen? Perhaps moreso for V/VI as VII is still active. And if it's not an article or two, what would be the best way to understand some major concepts?
Well, the best place would be the Ruins of Alph subforum at the moment. They have some discussion threads and also viability rankings and check/counter compilation threads. You can also ask questions specific to the old generation metagames in their SQSA thread. As for articles, there are a plethora of old articles in the articles part of the website that can be found on the home page, but I’m not familiar with any that specifically break things down with regards to how to play and build at a fundamental level. I’d advise using the RoA subforum and their SQSA thread for starters while using tournament replays (in that subforum) as resources and reference points for team structures and how to play.

Aside from the points Finchinator made above I’d highly recommend reading analysis, you can find these by making a simple google search or clicking each Pokémon’s link on the Viability Rankings. Analysis can give you a good grasp of how some of the Pokémon fare as well as why you’d want them on your team. I’d also advise reading specifically the ‘Usage Tips’ sections on the analysis as they provide a great way to learn how to use said Pokémon and how the metagame works to some extent. Analysis really helped me grow as a player and I hope they can help you in a similar way, good luck and welcome to Smogon!

So the choice scarf lando-t set posted currently, is that the bulky scarf set, or is there like a separate secret set that I’m missing out on?

Sorry for the noob question!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)