Format Discussion Pokemon Sun/Moon Random Battle sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ability is only chosen after the moves, so the set was already chosen and the script chose Reckless due to the presence of Wild Charge. Maybe Fire Blast should be scrapped entirely on Emboar but I need to make sure that's a wise decision first
Fire Blast has its uses against some Pokémon that have high defense but average/low special defense. Steelix, Aggron, Staka, Cloyster, Groudon (not primal), Gliscor, Weezing, etc. from the top of my head. I wouldn't scrap it from it.

However, when the moves are chosen, if wild charge is chosen before fire blast/flare blitz, and that wild charge alone forces reckless, I don't know if it would be possible to code it so that flare blitz would get priority over fire blast. In the same way, if fire blast ends up being chosen first, maybe it could be possible to lock moves that benefit from reckless, although even without reckless, wild charge can be useful.

And while I'm talking about Emboar, is it possible that Head Smash is scrapped? I think it could be great on a scarf reckless set. Pretty sure that would give it perfect neutral coverage, even though the recoil would be massive.

Last edited:
I got a Torterra set with overgrowth, but it didn't have any grass move to use it with:
Screenshot_2018-06-07-15-05-27.png
In case Torterra has no grass type attacking moves, wouldn't it be better to have shell armour?

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pretty sure that Shell Armor is rated so low in the code that the set generator just says “whatever” if a no-use-given-the-moveset ability is picked over it.

is there a way to ensure that mono-attacking sableye-mega has dark pulse and not shadow ball? or is dark pulse not an option in the first place?
sableye-mega randbats.png

However, when the moves are chosen, if wild charge is chosen before fire blast/flare blitz, and that wild charge alone forces reckless, I don't know if it would be possible to code it so that flare blitz would get priority over fire blast. In the same way, if fire blast ends up being chosen first, maybe it could be possible to lock moves that benefit from reckless, although even without reckless, wild charge can be useful.
Moves don't have any particular "priority" that lets them get chosen before others. I tried to do that kind of thing a while back but it was a mess and it got scrapped. The only things that happen is that after moves are chosen, some moves are taken out if they don't fit with others.

That said, you've helped me notice that currently, fire blast and flare blitz on the same set causes flare blitz to be removed if the user does not have swords dance or another attack boosting move. I can add a provision to keep the move if the Pokemon also has reckless to fix that.

And while I'm talking about Emboar, is it possible that Head Smash is scrapped? I think it could be great on a scarf reckless set. Pretty sure that would give it perfect neutral coverage, even though the recoil would be massive.
I don't know what the situation is for this one. Rock moves are never really mentioned in any of its recommended sets so I can't comment on why it has stone edge as an option instead of head smash.

1528713920949.png

Although i understand that this isnt the worst set this is probably the worst combination? sure having a fire and dragon move gives coverage but having both flame thrower and draco meteor along with sword dance and multi-attack being the only boosted attack feels bad to me

i think if he has sword dance he should have flame charge instead of flame thrower (one is supported by sword dance, the other has disynergy with draco meteor)

i would also prefer iron head to draco meteor (good speed for flinch chance as well as fairy coverage) but i understand the desire for something to hit through physical walls

Question, are pokemon species up for discussion for removal from the Random Battle team pool?

There are some pokemon I find completely useless time and time again, most notably Delibird, Luvdisc, Far-fetch'd, Castform. Unown is always level 100 right? So I think for those trash pokemon, whoever gets one is at a severe disadvantage in any random battle, and anyone who gets 2 of them should basically just resign because there is no point in playing.
So in my opinion, those trash pokemon should either be removed or get the Unown treatment - all of them should be level 100.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks!

duck

duck
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Question, are pokemon species up for discussion for removal from the Random Battle team pool?

There are some pokemon I find completely useless time and time again, most notably Delibird, Luvdisc, Far-fetch'd, Castform. Unown is always level 100 right? So I think for those trash pokemon, whoever gets one is at a severe disadvantage in any random battle, and anyone who gets 2 of them should basically just resign because there is no point in playing.
So in my opinion, those trash pokemon should either be removed or get the Unown treatment - all of them should be level 100.
Thanks!
no, i don't think so. Also, even if i love this tier, randombattles is not fair. It never was and it never will.

Thanks!
The Pokemon mentioned are not even anywhere close to the level of trash that is Unown, so they will definitely not be level 100. Other level adjustments may be considered but it's pretty unlikely, and as mentioned already, random battle is simply not fair

Also I like farfetched lol, because it's a critical hit machine so if you have sticky web support or something you might be able to do something fun

Screenshot_2018-06-21-16-45-21-1.png

Does Mower Rotom usually not run Leaf Storm? Or is this actually ok?
Screenshot_2018-06-21-16-50-57-1.png

Doesn't Trevenant learn Shadow Claw?
Screenshot_2018-06-21-17-30-25-1.png

I'm kinda sure that double hazards shouldn't be happening on Roserade and Rest without Sleep Talk

SaturnZelda

formerly TylerWithNumbers
So, about a month and a half ago I suggested giving Rayquaza Dragon Ascent and adding the Mega Rayquaza Clause, but I haven’t gotten any response while I’ve seen you ascriptmaster responding to other people’s things

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-771605327

If you check the turns 20-21, you can see the Celesteela gets a special attack boost after getting a kill, while its 4 revealed moves are Leech Seed, Protect,Earthquake and Heavyslam. This could be an error and probably worth reporting I guess as it doesnt make any sense.
evs are all 84 in each stat so that means its special attack is naturally higher than the others and that can’t be changed by code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)