Unpopular opinions

Just like Electric. Amazing defensive type, but a purely defensive Electric-type has yet to be created.
Zapdos more or less has evolved to fill that role, but anyways they'd have to be very careful not to create an overpowered monstrosity that only goes down to earthquake, and nothing else (at which point it would be banned to ubers where Pdon would ensure it got no usage)

The problem with types like Electric, Ice and Rock is that their capabilities don't match their flavor.

Ice and Rock have characteristics that go well with glass cannon Pokemon, but their "flavor" is "slow and bulky" even though both types are poor defensively.
Electric has nice defensive traits but its flavor is "glass cannon".

I agree regarding the capabilities of Ice, Electric, and Rock matching really poorly with the flavor.

Even though CAP is non-canon, the CAPs of the Ice, Rock, and Electric types actually make the flavor quite believable. Syclant is a fast Ice-type, and the one we need (but not sure about deserving it); Stratagem and Crucibelle are relatively quick Rock-types, the former of which is as fast as Aerodactyl's base form. In the meantime, Cyclohm, Krilowatt, and Plasmanta are Electric-types that are quite tanky in either Defenses or HP, even if only Cyclohm can perform as a wall.

Zapdos more or less has evolved to fill that role, but anyways they'd have to be very careful not to create an overpowered monstrosity that only goes down to earthquake, and nothing else (at which point it would be banned to ubers where Pdon would ensure it got no usage)
Or something like Eelektross, where Levitate ensures it's only weak to Thousand Arrows unless they've a means to suppress its ability... but its stats are mediocre at best.

Or something like Eelektross, where Levitate ensures it's only weak to Thousand Arrows unless they've a means to suppress its ability... but its stats are mediocre at best.
And yet, it's themed towards attacking.

There's a very low amount of Electric-type Pokemon whose defenses are higher than their attack stats. And if we filter them a little more through Pokemon with defensive moves, we end up with the Rotom Appliances, Stunfisk... and pretty much nothing else.

The quality of a generation's postgame is directly proportional to how good its OU metagame is. Take a look:

RBY - No postgame, OU is basically a glorified hax-fest
GSC - I don't consider Kanto to be the postgame, which limits it to the Battle Tower. Still, a step in the right direction, and OU is far more balanced than in gen 1, since now at least you have the illusion that the game doesn't come down to who plays their Snorlax better.
ADV - Some people consider this to have the best postgame, and gen 3 OU is widely considered to be either the best or the second-best, along with gen 4. Coincidentally, these two gens are the only ones with a Frontier.
PtHGSS - Some people consider this to have the best postgame, and gen 4 OU is widely considered to be either the best or the second-best, along with gen 3. Coincidentally, these two gens are the only ones with a Frontier.
BW(2) - This would be the best postgame in the series if it had a Frontier. At least we get Black Tower / White Treehollow, which play similarly to the Pyramid. This was also when Smogon started to come close to how it is today (to think that people were scared of complex bans back then), and gen 5 OU, while not as balanced and loved as gens 3 and 4, was still fun to play.
XYORAS - XY's postgame was terrible for casual players, but the Maison was amazing for hardcore players, thanks to Triples enabling pretty much anyone to get 500+ wins effortlessly. ORAS fixed this casual problem. I think XY OU was kind of mediocre, but ORAS was an amazing expansion pack.
SMUSUM - The worst postgame since gen 2, and the worst OU since gen 1.

I never once noticed DPPt being slower than the other games in the series until someone mentioned it to me. It's not that bad.
Less story = better game imo, the games are about you and your own journey, so weighing you down with a whole bunch of text boxes never really worked for me.
BW1 are my least favourite games primarily for the above reason. The plot besides N never really worked for me, you spend most of the game mashing A so you can continue with the game rather than watching a movie, and having new Pokémon is a nice concept but the number of them I actually like goes into single digits.
Gen 5 is aesthetically the best the series will probably ever get, now that we're in 3D. The sprites are much more vibrant and fluid than the 3DS games, and seasons were amazing and made the world feel real.
The PWT is the best battle facility. The Battle Factory and its variants are the second-best.

I never once noticed DPPt being slower than the other games in the series until someone mentioned it to me. It's not that bad.
Less story = better game imo, the games are about you and your own journey, so weighing you down with a whole bunch of text boxes never really worked for me.
BW1 are my least favourite games primarily for the above reason. The plot besides N never really worked for me, you spend most of the game mashing A so you can continue with the game rather than watching a movie, and having new Pokémon is a nice concept but the number of them I actually like goes into single digits.
Gen 5 is aesthetically the best the series will probably ever get, now that we're in 3D. The sprites are much more vibrant and fluid than the 3DS games, and seasons were amazing and made the world feel real.
The PWT is the best battle facility. The Battle Factory and its variants are the second-best.
Granted, Ishihara did recently hint that the 2019 Pokemon game(s) will have better graphics than any prior entry to the series, so... perhaps you'll have a change of opinion? Of course, I suppose it depends on if you prefer the Pokemon to be constantly bouncing around or making a dynamic action that's reasonably relevant to the move they're using. (or however things will be set up in the 2019 Pokemon games)

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I think B/W Legendary battle themes are quite overrated. The loops are relatively short and uninteresting pretty uninteresting. They fit pretty well with the tension that comes from the Pokeball shaking after you throw it at the Pokemon, but I just feel that the legendary themes in D/P/Pt was a lot better than these. Doesn't help B/W's case either that D/P/Pt had a bunch of different themes for different legends while B/W only had one theme for Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem and then one more generic theme for all the rest of the legends (even Victini, I think).

I think B/W Legendary battle themes are quite overrated. The loops are relatively short and uninteresting pretty uninteresting. They fit pretty well with the tension that comes from the Pokeball shaking after you throw it at the Pokemon, but I just feel that the legendary themes in D/P/Pt was a lot better than these. Doesn't help B/W's case either that D/P/Pt had a bunch of different themes for different legends while B/W only had one theme for Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem and then one more generic theme for all the rest of the legends (even Victini, I think).
Well, if you don't count the slight variances between Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem's themes...

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, if you don't count the slight variances between Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem's themes...
It's a nice touch, but pretty unnoticeable. I don't particularly mind that theme itself though, it's just that I don't find it as nice to listen to as the themes of mascot legendaries from gen 3-4.

The main gripes I have with the legendary themes in B/W is with this one:

1) I hate Greninja
2) I really like Simisage
3) I hate Mesprit
4) Vileplume, Golduck, Scrafty, and Raticate are some of my favorite pokemon
5)Charmander is my least favorite gen 1 starter
6) Rowlet is my least favorite gen 7 starter
7) Fairy type is stupid
8) Grass is my favorite type
9) I like a lot of Gen 1 sprites
10) I don't like Sun and Moon.
11) I like a lot of unpopular pokemon as mentioned before, other examples being Sandslash, Dewott, Golduck, Flygon MORE than Garchomp, etc.

Last edited:
I don't want a Gen 4 remake. While it would be nice to see Sinnoh in full HD, honestly I just don't feel that we need one. The mechanics of battling hasn't changed that much since DPPt, and while the original RBY games are pretty much unplayable now, DPPt are still perfectly enjoyable now. I just don't think it would bring that much to the table. If we got one, I would still play it, but it's not something I'm pining for or anything like that. I'd rather have a sequel to them than a remake, or perhaps a sequel to X&Y since that postgame was absolute shit.

I don't want a Gen 4 remake. While it would be nice to see Sinnoh in full HD, honestly I just don't feel that we need one. The mechanics of battling hasn't changed that much since DPPt, and while the original RBY games are pretty much unplayable now, DPPt are still perfectly enjoyable now. I just don't think it would bring that much to the table. If we got one, I would still play it, but it's not something I'm pining for or anything like that. I'd rather have a sequel to them than a remake, or perhaps a sequel to X&Y since that postgame was absolute shit.
Sequels instead of remakes would honestly be brilliant.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think I've come up with an opinion that may actually be unpopular: I kind-of like the idea behind Kalos Route 13, also known as Lumiose Badlands.

To refresh your memory, this is the Kalos desert route with Pokémon burrowing underground, and near-constant wind. The Pokémon home in on you when you move, but they move slower than you, so you can avoid them. In theory.

You see, I find it plausible that somebody wanted to expand this concept for overworld encounters, and used this one route in Kalos as an experiment. After all, a very similar system seems to become the norm in Pokémon Let's Go, and it makes sense that it was used in X and Y to collect player feedback - doing it in SM or USUM would be too late compared to PLG's development cycle.

However, it looks like somebody tried to actively ensure that the player feedback from Lumiose Badlands would be as negative as possible. Or it was implemented in the stupidest way possible. For whatever reason, the route has constantly blowing wind that makes traversing it a nightmare, half the times you have no way to avoid the encounters. Said encounters pit you against Dugtrio and Trapinch too, both of whom may have Arena Trap to make the battles inescapable unless you lead with a Flying-type. The effect is that the route bombards you with encounters you can neither avoid nor escape, which really puts a damper on the experience and makes Route 13 the most infamous location in Kalos.

It was pretty botched, but I think the idea was solid. The traditional encounters in tall grass or sandy locations feel really random and arbitrary, when you pass through those types of terrain you don't have a reliable way to avoid encounters, and no reliable way to initiate them. Homing Pokémon in the overworld address both issues. When you stand still, so do the Pokémon, so you can sneak away from them once you realize their movement pattern. Rarely, the wind over Route 13 abates, and it becomes a much more tolerable location to visit. Time will tell how its PLG implementation will be to play with.

I feel like being able to catch a Gible that evolves next level almost made up for it. Of course, I question the judgment of whomever decided to fill out the encounter table with both Arena Trappers and give the player an 80% chance of the encounter being inescapable (without a Flier, of course).

Related: I enjoy the idea of nicknaming routes. It helped give each one a bit more personality, especially considering that Kalos would be the second (of three) regions to have its route numbering restarted.

Oh, and there's another underutilized mechanic in there: Natural objects. Remember how using certain spread moves when certain background objects were present in a battle could give you items? Bring that back, too. I know "Kalos was stupidly underdeveloped" is not only popular but an objective fact, but XY had all these little features that could've been kept.

Related: I enjoy the idea of nicknaming routes. It helped give each one a bit more personality, especially considering that Kalos would be the second (of three) regions to have its route numbering restarted.
All the "routes" should probably have real names, like those, and not be numbered. (And obviously the bigger issue is the implausible coincidence that the numbers go in the exact same order as the order the player happens to progress through each region.)

I feel like being able to catch a Gible that evolves next level almost made up for it. Of course, I question the judgment of whomever decided to fill out the encounter table with both Arena Trappers and give the player an 80% chance of the encounter being inescapable (without a Flier, of course).
Not quite; we often forget because it's bad but Dugtrio can also have Sand Veil -- so it's more a 60% chance. Still really atrocious tho.

All the "routes" should probably have real names, like those, and not be numbered. (And obviously the bigger issue is the implausible coincidence that the numbers go in the exact same order as the order the player happens to progress through each region.)
I would point out that there are multiple examples where you don't find routes in the exact same order they're numbered - especially Kanto; where even if you don't do a lot of sequence breaking Nugget Bridge is the last two numbered routes in the region - but semantics and pedantry aside, if they're just going to nickname routes anyway, I don't see much of a reason to number them anymore. Much like evolution levels and methods never changing, it seems like another thing that's just stuck around for no real good reason other than it's what's always been done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)