Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

What does it mean for a pokemon to be anti-meta in a certain metagame? And how is Mega Garchomp even considered an anti-meta pick?
As the name implies, anti-meta mons are called that because they either counter or are a good pick against popular cores / trends in the meta without being absolutely niche picks with no other use / relevant quality to their cause (like regular Sableye in the XY meta when MegaKanga was still in OU).

As for MegaChomper, the Zygarde booting allowed old and new balanced cores to become relevant again (CelePex, anything involving Rotom and Heatran, Lando + AV Mag, non-PDef Clefable cores, you name 'em) and Garchomp not only deals with all of these by itself (either by luring in a member by posing as a non-mega variant or by virtue of typing and/or particular coverage move), but it's also a good SR setter with great bulk that can double as a potent SD breaker in conjunction with Sand Force-boosted moves (in case you are not running the mix set). In a way, since Mega slots aren't as crowded as before, it also frees up a Z-move slot for something like Lando or Heatran.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
I have a question about the Teambuilding Workshop (not sure if I have to ask it here or in that thread)
The rules say that I can ask for a team arpund a Pokémon that is from B- rank at least. However, since I've seen people requesting for a team around two mons, I wanted to know if I can ask (to put an example) for a Rain team around Shift Gear Magearna (S Rank) and CB Crawdaunt (C Rank)
You'd have to first ask the host, Lyd, for approval as stated in the rules.

Any checks to normalium z Kartana out there? I find myself doing one of two things. The first is using a Pokemon that can check non-normalium Kartana (often times Salamence), and giving it a chilian berry (halves normal move damage once). This does the job, but makes the Pokemon less useful in other match ups. For example, Salamence is worn down faster without leftovers, and Amoongus can't stay in on Heatran without AV (to use stomping tantrum after a failed move).
The second strategy is to simply use two checks. If one goes down to breakneck blitz, send in the next check. However, beast boost often makes Kartana strong enough to OHKO the next check with a regular giga impact. It will be a sitting duck next turn, but it just put a huge hole in the team, and you still need something that can OHKO Kartana on a third mon before it can attack again.

Am I missing something, or is this mon just too strong?

Any checks to normalium z Kartana out there? I find myself doing one of two things. The first is using a Pokemon that can check non-normalium Kartana (often times Salamence), and giving it a chilian berry (halves normal move damage once). This does the job, but makes the Pokemon less useful in other match ups. For example, Salamence is worn down faster without leftovers, and Amoongus can't stay in on Heatran without AV (to use stomping tantrum after a failed move).
The second strategy is to simply use two checks. If one goes down to breakneck blitz, send in the next check. However, beast boost often makes Kartana strong enough to OHKO the next check with a regular giga impact. It will be a sitting duck next turn, but it just put a huge hole in the team, and you still need something that can OHKO Kartana on a third mon before it can attack again.

If you have a lot of trouble against against Kartana, you can use full def hp fire Tangrowth. Other options are regular Buzzwole, counter Skarmory or flamethrower Cele. A gimmick set is HP Fire Scizor otherwise :blobthumbsup:

From my experience, the most reliable way to stop SD Kart is always having offensive pressure over it: Tornadus-T can take almost any hit from unboosted Kart (except the Z-Move, and a Non-Z Giga after rocks), and secure the kill if you're running the Z-move variant (Rocky Helm, while still 1HKOs with Hurricane, it's simply not reliable enough), Mega Mawile also can sorta "reliably" 1v1 if it's running Fighting/Fire coverage, but nothing stops your opponent from simply switch out; and there's plenty of options for revenge killers. From a more defensive standpoint, bulky Steels that don't fear Sacred Sword are the most "reliable" answers, but as Mega Scizor shifted to more Sp Defensive spread to do what is spected from a Steel type, and Skarmory being non-existant outside of Stall, the list of non-niche defensive answer for SD Kart is pretty narrow. You can try Phys Defensive Tangrowth as long you can check Koko and Ash Greninja with other mons, or Buzzwole (which IMO only fit on Stall teams or extremly fat Balances), as long you are happy with the results.

Last edited:

Max Def Unaware Clef can wall pretty mych every Kart set that lacks Smart Strike although it's not too big a fan of Knock Off which the SD set doesn't often run and has to predict the Z move (it's a guaranteed 2hko of it lands). It can Protect to scout for super effective moves and either Wall and 3HKO it with Moon Blast or switch to an appropriate counter. However, Avoid directly switching into it though until you know the set.

Last edited:
Hey! I´m quite new to competetive and I wanted to ask a question (Sorry for my bad english)
I did not find another place to ask this,sorry in advance!

How do I build a new team?
I got a nice and well working team,but its getting boring to play with and I want to use a new one. The only problem here is that they newer work well enough and even if they work,it´s because I use 4-5 mons from my old team.
Hope you have some tricks that will help! Thanks <3

Hey! I´m quite new to competetive and I wanted to ask a question (Sorry for my bad english)
I did not find another place to ask this,sorry in advance!

How do I build a new team?
I got a nice and well working team,but its getting boring to play with and I want to use a new one. The only problem here is that they newer work well enough and even if they work,it´s because I use 4-5 mons from my old team.
Hope you have some tricks that will help! Thanks <3
I think what you want here is to build an interesting team. The way that I would typically do that is try to build around a pokemon I find fun to use, take Specs Keld for example. Then you should try to find pokemon to lure in that pokemon's checks, say Z-dig prot gren to lure in Pex. Teambuilding isn't easy to explain, it's much easier to learn. You should try to diversify the pokemon you use and create teams around them if your old teams are boring now.

Hey I've been on deployment for 6 mos without internet. Any big changes in USUM OU?

mod edit: I removed the Sword and Shield question. That is a question better left to Orange Island subforum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I've been on deployment for 6 mos without internet. Any big changes in USUM OU?

mod edit: I removed the Sword and Shield question. That is a question better left to Orange Island subforum.
The biggest change is that Zygarde got the boot, which allowed all sorts of BO and Balance cores to come back to life without being labeled "snek bait". These include previously targeted mons like Celesteela, Toxapex, Rotom, etc, whom can now be considered true Ground-immune folk.
Now that you don't need as many ground resists due to the foul reptile leaving, Tangrowth has lost some usage due to Ferrothorn and MegaVenu still being great checks to whatever Tang checked, but with the added benefits of entry hazards / great mixed bulk and ability to run status moves. Tangrowth is still a very good mon though, just less common.
Heatran has risen as one of the most influential mons in the tier, some previously "niche" mons have found their place in the meta because of these new trends (like MeGallade and Mega Garchomp, and Kommo-o literally rising to OU because of this), HO has taken a hit due to the loss of their strongest wincon, and the meta is probably the most balanced it has ever been for a while, with many playstyles and viable mons to choose from.

Hope it helps!

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How did OU handle pre and postbank ou metas for gen 6 and 7? Did we have a side unrestricted ladder + prebank OU or what?
We had pokebank OU as the main metagame with the pre-bank meta as a side ladder for gen 7, unsure about gen 6 as my memory of the very start of XY is pretty hazy.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What teams does Choice Specs Tapu Koko work on?
It works best on Voltturn-type bulky offense teams, commonly used to pivot into breakers such as Kyurem-B and Medicham on the Grass-types that commonly switch into it to apply heaps of pressure to the opposing team.

The biggest change is that Zygarde got the boot, which allowed all sorts of BO and Balance cores to come back to life without being labeled "snek bait". These include previously targeted mons like Celesteela, Toxapex, Rotom, etc, whom can now be considered true Ground-immune folk.
Now that you don't need as many ground resists due to the foul reptile leaving, Tangrowth has lost some usage due to Ferrothorn and MegaVenu still being great checks to whatever Tang checked, but with the added benefits of entry hazards / great mixed bulk and ability to run status moves. Tangrowth is still a very good mon though, just less common.
Heatran has risen as one of the most influential mons in the tier, some previously "niche" mons have found their place in the meta because of these new trends (like MeGallade and Mega Garchomp, and Kommo-o literally rising to OU because of this), HO has taken a hit due to the loss of their strongest wincon, and the meta is probably the most balanced it has ever been for a while, with many playstyles and viable mons to choose from.

Hope it helps!
Thanks. Has flyinum z salamence regained any viability with the loss of zygarde?

Thanks. Has flyinum z salamence regained any viability with the loss of zygarde?
Unfortunately not, mostly because the loss of Zygarde has brought back things like Rotom and Celesteela back into the spotlight and Salamence has a hard time setting up with those in the way, while something like Kommo-o has a much easier time thanks to a much better typing, bulk and and arguably set up move (it can go 3 different ways and even set SR, adding to its unpredictability).
Basically, it still requires too much support to work and has the same issues that plagued it 6 months ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)