Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Mannat

Miyabi Gang
is a Tutor
Won SPL Predictions
How did OU handle pre and postbank ou metas for gen 6 and 7? Did we have a side unrestricted ladder + prebank OU or what?
We had pokebank OU as the main metagame with the pre-bank meta as a side ladder for gen 7, unsure about gen 6 as my memory of the very start of XY is pretty hazy.

Mannat

Miyabi Gang
is a Tutor
Won SPL Predictions
What teams does Choice Specs Tapu Koko work on?
It works best on Voltturn-type bulky offense teams, commonly used to pivot into breakers such as Kyurem-B and Medicham on the Grass-types that commonly switch into it to apply heaps of pressure to the opposing team.

The biggest change is that Zygarde got the boot, which allowed all sorts of BO and Balance cores to come back to life without being labeled "snek bait". These include previously targeted mons like Celesteela, Toxapex, Rotom, etc, whom can now be considered true Ground-immune folk.
Now that you don't need as many ground resists due to the foul reptile leaving, Tangrowth has lost some usage due to Ferrothorn and MegaVenu still being great checks to whatever Tang checked, but with the added benefits of entry hazards / great mixed bulk and ability to run status moves. Tangrowth is still a very good mon though, just less common.
Heatran has risen as one of the most influential mons in the tier, some previously "niche" mons have found their place in the meta because of these new trends (like MeGallade and Mega Garchomp, and Kommo-o literally rising to OU because of this), HO has taken a hit due to the loss of their strongest wincon, and the meta is probably the most balanced it has ever been for a while, with many playstyles and viable mons to choose from.

Hope it helps!
Thanks. Has flyinum z salamence regained any viability with the loss of zygarde?

Thanks. Has flyinum z salamence regained any viability with the loss of zygarde?
Unfortunately not, mostly because the loss of Zygarde has brought back things like Rotom and Celesteela back into the spotlight and Salamence has a hard time setting up with those in the way, while something like Kommo-o has a much easier time thanks to a much better typing, bulk and and arguably set up move (it can go 3 different ways and even set SR, adding to its unpredictability).
Basically, it still requires too much support to work and has the same issues that plagued it 6 months ago.

Is there any Poke that doesn't suffer from 4mss?
Ash Gren seems pretty content with just Hydro + Shuriken + Pulse + Spikes. Sure, stuff like Ice Beam, Gunk Shot, and U-turn would be nice, but they aren't really necessary.

EDIT: Also, while it's no longer OU, Naganadel only needed Draco, Sludge Wave, Fire move, and Nasty Plot.

Last edited:
Ash Gren seems pretty content with just Hydro + Shuriken + Pulse + Spikes. Sure, stuff like Ice Beam, Gunk Shot, and U-turn would be nice, but they aren't really necessary.

EDIT: Also, while it's no longer OU, Naganadel only needed Draco, Sludge Wave, Fire move, and Nasty Plot.
If that's the case, is there really any point in bringing it up in a viability discussion if more than 90% of mons suffer from it?

• Sad
Reactions: amg
Can cm Sableye be a sufficient check to cm Keldeo? I often have a hard time getting a keldeo check on a team without losing checks to several other mons.

Finchinator

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis the defending BW Circuit Champion
OU Forum Leader
Can cm Sableye be a sufficient check to cm Keldeo? I often have a hard time getting a keldeo check on a team without losing checks to several other mons.
I would not say so; +1 Z Hydro Pump does plenty and Sub Calm Mind variants burn pretty quickly and then get plenty of chances to fish even if you should win the 1v1 barring RNG. I think Calm Mind Sableye is best to avoid at all costs currently.

Finchinator

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis the defending BW Circuit Champion
OU Forum Leader
What are some of the best team archetypes in USUM OU?
Hyper offense, rain. bulky offense, balance, and stall to put it generally. Feel free to ask more specific follow up questions if you want more of an inside perspective or consult the viability rankings to see common pokemon that may fit on these archetypes.

I read about the no national dex thing for SwSh, if that ends up being final then would gen 8 showdown have rules disallowing all pokemon except those that exist in the gen 8 dex? Seems like an unestablished precedent so maybe there are no thoughts by the Smogon on it yet.

Finchinator

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
OU Forum Leader
I read about the no national dex thing for SwSh, if that ends up being final then would gen 8 showdown have rules disallowing all pokemon except those that exist in the gen 8 dex? Seems like an unestablished precedent so maybe there are no thoughts by the Smogon on it yet.
This is not the place to discuss this for future reference, but we will only allow Pokemon that can be legally obtained in the games given my understanding.

How's Gengar in the current meta and what's his best set?
As reflected by its position in the VR, Gengar is a viable, but incredibly niche special attacker that abuses the lack of Ghost resists in the tier. The tiers main forms of Ghost management—Tyranitar and Chansey—are dealt by Focus Blast and Taunt. Gengar’s ability to deal with the former as well as its higher Speed tier and Willo/Hex separate it from the tier’s other Ghost-type, Blacephalon. Not all is good for Gengar, though. It is very frail, and brings zero defensive utility to the team barring Normal resist, Fighting resist and ability to absorb Toxic Spikes (the former two don’t really matter when the strongest mons of those types—Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny—have other ways of managing it). Also, remember Blacephalon? It’s stronger, actually fully capable of breaking non-Kommo-o stalls with SubCM, can boost its Speed whilst maintaining wallbreaking prowess, and can cripple its checks with the correct lure (HP Grass for Ttar and Trick/Knock for Chansey/Mantine). Overall, I’d recommend using Blacephalon, but be my guest if you want to bring out Gengar’s qualities.

Tramuntana

formerly SJMistery
As reflected by its position in the VR, Gengar is a viable, but incredibly niche special attacker that abuses the lack of Ghost resists in the tier. The tiers main forms of Ghost management—Tyranitar and Chansey—are dealt by Focus Blast and Taunt. Gengar’s ability to deal with the former as well as its higher Speed tier and Willo/Hex separate it from the tier’s other Ghost-type, Blacephalon. Not all is good for Gengar, though. It is very frail, and brings zero defensive utility to the team barring Normal resist, Fighting resist and ability to absorb Toxic Spikes (the former two don’t really matter when the strongest mons of those types—Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny—have other ways of managing it). Also, remember Blacephalon? It’s stronger, actually fully capable of breaking non-Kommo-o stalls with SubCM, can boost its Speed whilst maintaining wallbreaking prowess, and can cripple its checks with the correct lure (HP Grass for Ttar and Trick/Knock for Chansey/Mantine). Overall, I’d recommend using Blacephalon, but be my guest if you want to bring out Gengar’s qualities.
Blacephalon is much more vulnerable to hazards and likely only will have one chance to do his job.

Is Blaziken Uber even if he doesn't have Speed Boost? I wanted to use him on an OU team with Blaze, but he was still banned. I thought sometimes pokemon are re-tiered if they do not use the ability that made them broken in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 2)