Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Is there any Poke that doesn't suffer from 4mss?
Ash Gren seems pretty content with just Hydro + Shuriken + Pulse + Spikes. Sure, stuff like Ice Beam, Gunk Shot, and U-turn would be nice, but they aren't really necessary.

EDIT: Also, while it's no longer OU, Naganadel only needed Draco, Sludge Wave, Fire move, and Nasty Plot.

Last edited:
Ash Gren seems pretty content with just Hydro + Shuriken + Pulse + Spikes. Sure, stuff like Ice Beam, Gunk Shot, and U-turn would be nice, but they aren't really necessary.

EDIT: Also, while it's no longer OU, Naganadel only needed Draco, Sludge Wave, Fire move, and Nasty Plot.
If that's the case, is there really any point in bringing it up in a viability discussion if more than 90% of mons suffer from it?

• Sad
Reactions: amg
Can cm Sableye be a sufficient check to cm Keldeo? I often have a hard time getting a keldeo check on a team without losing checks to several other mons.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Can cm Sableye be a sufficient check to cm Keldeo? I often have a hard time getting a keldeo check on a team without losing checks to several other mons.
I would not say so; +1 Z Hydro Pump does plenty and Sub Calm Mind variants burn pretty quickly and then get plenty of chances to fish even if you should win the 1v1 barring RNG. I think Calm Mind Sableye is best to avoid at all costs currently.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What are some of the best team archetypes in USUM OU?
Hyper offense, rain. bulky offense, balance, and stall to put it generally. Feel free to ask more specific follow up questions if you want more of an inside perspective or consult the viability rankings to see common pokemon that may fit on these archetypes.

I read about the no national dex thing for SwSh, if that ends up being final then would gen 8 showdown have rules disallowing all pokemon except those that exist in the gen 8 dex? Seems like an unestablished precedent so maybe there are no thoughts by the Smogon on it yet.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
I read about the no national dex thing for SwSh, if that ends up being final then would gen 8 showdown have rules disallowing all pokemon except those that exist in the gen 8 dex? Seems like an unestablished precedent so maybe there are no thoughts by the Smogon on it yet.
This is not the place to discuss this for future reference, but we will only allow Pokemon that can be legally obtained in the games given my understanding.

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
How's Gengar in the current meta and what's his best set?
As reflected by its position in the VR, Gengar is a viable, but incredibly niche special attacker that abuses the lack of Ghost resists in the tier. The tiers main forms of Ghost management—Tyranitar and Chansey—are dealt by Focus Blast and Taunt. Gengar’s ability to deal with the former as well as its higher Speed tier and Willo/Hex separate it from the tier’s other Ghost-type, Blacephalon. Not all is good for Gengar, though. It is very frail, and brings zero defensive utility to the team barring Normal resist, Fighting resist and ability to absorb Toxic Spikes (the former two don’t really matter when the strongest mons of those types—Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny—have other ways of managing it). Also, remember Blacephalon? It’s stronger, actually fully capable of breaking non-Kommo-o stalls with SubCM, can boost its Speed whilst maintaining wallbreaking prowess, and can cripple its checks with the correct lure (HP Grass for Ttar and Trick/Knock for Chansey/Mantine). Overall, I’d recommend using Blacephalon, but be my guest if you want to bring out Gengar’s qualities.

As reflected by its position in the VR, Gengar is a viable, but incredibly niche special attacker that abuses the lack of Ghost resists in the tier. The tiers main forms of Ghost management—Tyranitar and Chansey—are dealt by Focus Blast and Taunt. Gengar’s ability to deal with the former as well as its higher Speed tier and Willo/Hex separate it from the tier’s other Ghost-type, Blacephalon. Not all is good for Gengar, though. It is very frail, and brings zero defensive utility to the team barring Normal resist, Fighting resist and ability to absorb Toxic Spikes (the former two don’t really matter when the strongest mons of those types—Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny—have other ways of managing it). Also, remember Blacephalon? It’s stronger, actually fully capable of breaking non-Kommo-o stalls with SubCM, can boost its Speed whilst maintaining wallbreaking prowess, and can cripple its checks with the correct lure (HP Grass for Ttar and Trick/Knock for Chansey/Mantine). Overall, I’d recommend using Blacephalon, but be my guest if you want to bring out Gengar’s qualities.
Blacephalon is much more vulnerable to hazards and likely only will have one chance to do his job.

Is Blaziken Uber even if he doesn't have Speed Boost? I wanted to use him on an OU team with Blaze, but he was still banned. I thought sometimes pokemon are re-tiered if they do not use the ability that made them broken in the first place.

Is Blaziken Uber even if he doesn't have Speed Boost? I wanted to use him on an OU team with Blaze, but he was still banned. I thought sometimes pokemon are re-tiered if they do not use the ability that made them broken in the first place.
Smogon strays away from complex bans, and looks at the whole Pokemon when deciding to ban something. Banning part of a Pokemon only happens on rare occasions, and when it happens, it applies to all Pokemon, not just the one mon (for example, Arena Trap).

Because Speed Boost isn't banned on all Pokemon, and because it would be absurd to ban Speed Boost just to make Blaziken not broken, Blaziken remains banned.

Smogon strays away from complex bans, and looks at the whole Pokemon when deciding to ban something. Banning part of a Pokemon only happens on rare occasions, and when it happens, it applies to all Pokemon, not just the one mon (for example, Arena Trap).

Because Speed Boost isn't banned on all Pokemon, and because it would be absurd to ban Speed Boost just to make Blaziken not broken, Blaziken remains banned.
That makes sense. Thanks for the help.

Hey is the odds for the amount of sleep turns you have when you get slept by spore or something the same? For example are you just as likely to sleep 1 turn (33%) as you are to sleep 3 turns? Or are there unequal odds for getting longer sleep amounts? I feel like the odds are even but I'm not sure

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Hey is the odds for the amount of sleep turns you have when you get slept by spore or something the same? For example are you just as likely to sleep 1 turn (33%) as you are to sleep 3 turns? Or are there unequal odds for getting longer sleep amounts? I feel like the odds are even but I'm not sure
Equal odds.

I have a question about Smogon's banning philosophy. If Smogon bans abilities that are broken (Moody, Shadow Tag), I'm curious about the state of other broken abilities (Protean, Huge Power, Tinted Lens, basically abilities that are almost always banned in AAA, Balanced Hackmons, etc.).

Huge Power is an obviously broken ability, but it's given to Pokémon with terrible stats (Mega Mawile, Azu, Mega Medi) strong enough to make most of them at the very least BL. Yet it is still not banned because the right Pokémon don't have them. Are you just waiting for Huge Power to have a good enough distribution to just ban the ability (ex. if 20+ Pokémon with good stat distribution like Weavile, Aerodactyl, Metagross, Infernape, etc. suddently get Huge Power)? If that's the case, I wonder why Pokémon like Gothita, Wobuffet, Trapinch and Diglett are still banned. Are they really that unmanageable with Shadow Tag/Arena Trap since they are way less efficient than other Shadow Tag/Arena Trap Pokémon.

Trapinch and Diglett
I can't speak for the other trappers, as I wasn't around when Shadow Tag was banned, but early in SM, Dugtrio (not Arena Trap) was suspected, and people legitimately used Diglett to decent effect. Diglett still OHKO'd Heatran. It still did a ton to Lele and Pex with Tectonic Rage, and speed tied with the former. Dugtrio was ultimately decided to not be banworthy the first time around, but several months later, Arena Trap was suspected and deemed uncompetitive, and thus was banned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)