Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Anyone has replays with krook putting work? All the other newly ranked mons have put in work in ou at some point so i get how they work but krook was surprising to see

But the Manaphy set he asked for doesnt carry HP Fire so Shedninja is a Counter for this set. In addition, forgoing psychic means there is no way to break Pex without the Z move (if you play it right) so it would be a rather poor choice.

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
On top of that, HP Fire’s power is reduced in the rain which makes it deadweight outside of Ferrothorn. Might as well nuke it with WaterZ at that point.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Manaphy never even runs HP Fire in 2019. Sometimes, it runs Toxic for Pyukumuku, Gastrodon, and Sheddy with mono-Surf, but that’s the only common alternative to Psychic really seen atm, at least on the OLT ladder where Manaphy is running rampant.

saw these in the threats to ou cores thread and i really enjoy using rain and wondered what these ev spreads are for
Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Roost

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
saw these in the threats to ou cores thread and i really enjoy using rain and wondered what these ev spreads are for
Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Roost

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
I believe the peli evs are for ash gren and the ferro defense evs take eq from lando with the rest in spdef for gren as well

Why is it that on the OU analysis for Kartana, the SD set puts the extra 4 EVs into Defense, while Scarf and Band put them into HP? Also, why not Special Defense?

Katy

Banned deucer.
Why is it that on the OU analysis for Kartana, the SD set puts the extra 4 EVs into Defense, while Scarf and Band put them into HP? Also, why not Special Defense?
Hello,
Kartanas special defense is very low from the beginning anyway and the 4 EVs in the SpDef won't make any difference on it, so they rather invest the rest 4 EVs in HP on the Scarf and Band-set, to give it some overall bulk. Speaking of bulk, Kartanas PhysDef is pretty high so it is the best to give it the $ remaining EVs into the PhysDef on the SD-set so it is able to tank some certain physical hits on the set-up with its Swords Dance.

Hello,
Kartanas special defense is very low from the beginning anyway and the 4 EVs in the SpDef won't make any difference on it, so they rather invest the rest 4 EVs in HP on the Scarf and Band-set, to give it some overall bulk. Speaking of bulk, Kartanas PhysDef is pretty high so it is the best to give it the $ remaining EVs into the PhysDef on the SD-set so it is able to tank some certain physical hits on the set-up with its Swords Dance.
Except adding a little bit to Kartana's already high Defense makes little difference, while a little bit to its low Special Defense makes more of a difference. Investing in HP helps a bit with physical attacks, but helps less with special attacks, and I would think taking less damage from a stray HP Fire would be more preferable.

252 Atk Mew Sacred Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 292-344 (112.7 - 132.8%)

252 Atk Mew Sacred Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kartana: 292-344 (112.7 - 132.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Mew Sacred Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 292-344 (112.3 - 132.3%)

252 SpA Mew Searing Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 876-1032 (338.2 - 398.4%)

252 SpA Mew Searing Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana: 864-1020 (333.5 - 393.8%)

252 SpA Mew Searing Shot vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 876-1032 (336.9 - 396.9%)

On showdown I’ve played lots of games on a test account in the middle of the ladder, if I want to try and ladder high with a good team should I make a new account or does it not matter?

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On showdown I’ve played lots of games on a test account in the middle of the ladder, if I want to try and ladder high with a good team should I make a new account or does it not matter?
For laddering high, your previous games won't matter and won't affect how much ELO you gain or lose, so you don't need to make a new account. The only thing your previous games will affect is your GXE, which is only used for the purposes of suspect tests right now which require new accounts anyway.

What's currently the best EV spread for a Calm Mind, T-Wave, Moonblast, Softboiled Clef (Magic Guard)? Is it still 252HP / 252Def Bold like in the Zygarde days or is another EV spread more popular now?

What's currently the best EV spread for a Calm Mind, T-Wave, Moonblast, Softboiled Clef (Magic Guard)? Is it still 252HP / 252Def Bold like in the Zygarde days or is another EV spread more popular now?
A spread of 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD Calm is the more popular EV spread atm since it lives 2 Mega Alakazam Psychics even if you lose Leftovers and it still lets you check Pokemon like Mega Lopunny and Kyurem-B decently. Although 252/252 Bold is still usable if you need a sturdier Mega Lopunny, Garchomp, and Medicham switch-in.

EDIT: 12 EVs should be removed from defense and put into Speed should Clefable have Twave so it can outspeed paralyzed Tapu Lele.

Last edited:
Is there a reason that Telepathy is technically a better pre-MEvo ability than Pure Power for Medicham? I remember an analysis stating something about a Ditto switching in and copying Telepathy instead of Pure Power or something?? Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Is there a reason that Telepathy is technically a better pre-MEvo ability than Pure Power for Medicham? I remember an analysis stating something about a Ditto switching in and copying Telepathy instead of Pure Power or something?? Does this ring any bells for anyone?
It's a way to mess with Dittos if there is ever a Lead Medicham into Lead Ditto scenario (or even just an U-turn / Volt switch kill into Medicham switch-in), it makes sure Trace users can't abuse the free SD (not that any can, but you never know), and also deals with the extremely rare Skill Swap shenanigans.

Basically, it's mostly for these very minor benefits since you'll be mega-evolving asap (same reason to why Mega Scizor prefers Light Metal as base ability, or Mega Blastoise and Rain Dish for example).

I'm not sure where to ask this (it's about competitive play in general, not just OU), but is it necessary (if one is to do well) to have hazards on every team? If so, why? Otherwise, in what case(s) are they not necessary? I never did question it, but stealth rock has been such a big part of competitive play that I just assumed it to be necessary.

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I'm not sure where to ask this (it's about competitive play in general, not just OU), but is it necessary (if one is to do well) to have hazards on every team? If so, why? Otherwise, in what case(s) are they not necessary? I never did question it, but stealth rock has been such a big part of competitive play that I just assumed it to be necessary.
To put it simply, chip damage. In this game, every point/percentage of health matters. Stealth Rock, while not needed on all teams, is a top priority because that 12% makes a number of 3HKOs into 2HKOs and a number of 2HKOs into OHKOs. All teams generally appreciate hazards, and there’s a rare case where adding more hazards is a detriment to team success. This also applies to generations before Stealth Rock, just with Spikes and Toxic (and in gen 3, Sand).

When Im using 4 attacks life orb Keldeo do I have to run Jolly in order to out speed Base 100s and pokemon slightly above it or is it fine to run modest? I lose out on outsoeeding alot of things but the extra power is really nice.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
When Im using 4 attacks life orb Keldeo do I have to run Jolly in order to out speed Base 100s and pokemon slightly above it or is it fine to run modest? I lose out on outsoeeding alot of things but the extra power is really nice.
I have my doubts about that set but yes, it is generally recommended to run max speed on Keldeo (which should be Timid, not Jolly).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)