Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Pleasantly surprised to see all this. Hoping Psyduck makes the cut this time (how on earth did it not?!) and that the new story content is good. While it's a little disappointing this probably means Sword and Shield's base story will never get fleshed out (imagine if the game even remotely earned that super dramatic battle intro for Rose), overall I think this is a much better way forward than the typical third version stuff.

I was wondering earlier how they are going to ruin them.
There's already the high spatk/spdef Regice, high atk/def Regirock, lowoffensehighdefenses Registeel...

What sort of weird atrocity will they produce? o_o
Given their types(at least what we can guess from their design), maybe these will be the offensive regis as opposed to the defensive regis of old. Dragon and electric are more notoriously offensive typing.

Given their types(at least what we can guess from their design), maybe these will be the offensive regis as opposed to the defensive regis of old. Dragon and electric are more notoriously offensive typing.
Honestly, I think of both Electric and Dragon as fairly mixed types, with few types they're good and bad against. Ironically, The big offense types I think of are Rock and Ice.

Exiting this tangent, there is still something that bothers me about the extended dex. In gens 6/7, I mostly got extra mons I needed over GTS, rather than using Bank. I imagine trading mass-bred rare mons is going to be a lot less efficient since it can't be done in the background.

Pleasantly surprised to see all this. Hoping Psyduck makes the cut this time (how on earth did it not?!) and that the new story content is good. While it's a little disappointing this probably means Sword and Shield's base story will never get fleshed out (imagine if the game even remotely earned that super dramatic battle intro for Rose), overall I think this is a much better way forward than the typical third version stuff.
Yeah, the lack off an updated Sword / Shield campaign is probably my biggest disappointment. IMO Sword and Shield really needed a campaign overhaul because key scenes weren't properly fleshed out, and the difficulty balancing is poor. Still, considering how much bad PR Ultra Sun and Moon got, this is a much better direction for the series to be moving towards in the future.

I'll never understand complaints like this. Game Freak is a company, out to make money?
As for the accusation of greediness: What GF is doing is nothing new: make a whole product, then divide it up into parts so they can charge more. They count on the playerbase being too addicted to Pokemon to realize they're either paying more for less (no DLC) or more for the same (yes DLC)

As for the accusation of incompetence: Most companies I presume would be able to port their own damn models that were made specifically to be forward-compatible.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Maybe I'm jaded, but I'm not really all that excited for this DLC. The game has been out for literally 2 months and already they're telling me I need to buy more, in order to access content that honestly feels like it was cut from the base game. Even then, they're only really hitting the industry standard in terms of DLC expansions. I much prefer a good game from the start rather than one that slugs out content periodically. While I am hopeful for the DLC and I do think its a neat step forward for what SW/SH should've been mechanically, its frustrating that we're in this place with the series in the first place. But, idk. Maybe I'm just jaded. I'm excited to fool around with the new stuff on Showdown, though.

I was definitely not expecting this! It's definitely more like what I was hoping for in terms of the future of the series' releases -- no third versions, but adding on to the main titles through DLC. Hopefully they'll feel more worth the price tag in terms of content than SwSh. Adding some cut mons is also very welcome, though expected. It's not the full dex, but if we can't have them all every gen, 2/3's of the mons feels like a much better fraction than 2/5. At least there will be a free patch to add the added forms and mons to the titles without the expansion; not having the new forms added to the original versions was always one of the irritating aspects of third versions.

One of the less-critical fan requests that the expansions address is the return to mythicals (if they are mythicals?) having a story. I guess Kubfu still gets handed to you, but the website says that which form it evolves into is dependent on choices you make throughout the story, so we might still have to do something to get the particular form we want (though it could just be something super simple like being given the choice of tutoring Kubfu a special dark vs. water move). It would be cool if the other mythicals could be given small stories too, like a simple quest to find them in a raid den or something.

I especially like that the new maps will essentially be new wild areas. I definitely got very used to the wild area camera and am constantly catching myself trying to move it around on other routes.

Always stoked for the news mons and forms; hopefully there's a lot more that haven't been teased. Slowpoke being pure psychic is a little bit odd, but hopefully that sets it up for some interesting dual types for its evo. From what we can see of Slowking, it looks to be dark or ghost or maybe poison. Also cool that they added Galarian forms of the birds -- I half expected some regional legendary variants after Galarian forms were revealed, neat that they are arriving after all. Looks like at least Zapdos and Articuno could be new type combos -- electric/fighting and ice/steel? (Or maybe ice/psychic)

Nice that Venusaur and Blastoise get gigantamax forms now, along with the Galar starters, although so far the trend has been that the G-Max moves are inferior to the regular dynamax moves, so they probably won't be much more than trophies. On the other hand, if Venu & Blastoise's G-Max moves have the other pledge effects (speed-lowering swamp and serene grace rainbow), those could be pretty useful.

...now give Marshadow a G-max to make up for its Z-move being snapped?

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Galarian Form distribution prior to update:
5 Kanto origin families, 6 Pokemon
1 Johto origin family, 1 Pokemon
1 Hoenn origin family, 2 Pokemon
3 Unova origin families, 4 Pokemon

Galarian Form distribution after update (currently known):
8 Kanto origin families, 10 Pokemon [+3/+4]
1 Johto origin family, 2 Pokemon [+0/+1]
1 Hoenn origin family, 2 Pokemon [+0/+0]
3 Unova origin families, 4 Pokemon [+0/+0]

Gigantamax distribution prior to update:
10 Kanto Pokemon
1 Unova Pokemon
1 GO(???) Pokemon (currently unavailable)
14 Galar Pokemon (1 currently unavailable)

Gigantamax distribution after update (currently known):
12 Kanto Pokemon [+2]
1 Unova Pokemon [+0]
1 GO(???) Pokemon [+0]
18 (19) Galar Pokemon (Urshifu has two forms)[+4 (5)]

These numbers may change as we get more information about the DLC, but right now Kanto and Galar are increasing their already significant lead in regional/gigantamax form distribution.

E: might as well do this as well

Currently confirmed returning Pokemon by region (as shown in the released infographics):
11 Kanto (Horsea, Seadra, Chansey, Magnemite, Magneton, NidoranM, Nidorino, Nidoking, Zubat, Golbat, Electabuzz)
6 Johto (Kingdra, Blissey, Crobat, Elekid, Marill, Azumarill)
7 Hoenn (Azurill, Beldum, Metang, Metagross, Spheal, Sealeo, Walrein)
6 Sinnoh (Magnezone, Happiny, Gible, Gabite, Garchomp, Electivire)
5 Unova (Zorua, Zoroark, Larvesta, Volcarona, Cryogonal)
3 Kalos (Dedenne, Amarua, Aurorus)
2 Alola (Rockruff, Lycanroc)

If we include the "obvious counterparts" which are currently unconfirmed, the numbers are as follows (counterparts added in parentheses):
15 Kanto (NidoranF, Nidorina, Nidoqueen, Magmar) [+4]
7 Johto (Magby) [+1]
7 Hoenn [+0]
7 Sinnoh (Magmortar) [+1]
5 Unova [+0]
5 Kalos (Tyrunt, Tyrantrum) [+2]
2 Alola [+0]

Jynx was not included as it is no longer an "obvious counterpart" to Magmar and Elekid.

Legendary Pokemon were not included as we don't have a confirmation of which will be returning, they will obviously increase these numbers. Similarly, Kanto Slowpoke, Slowbro, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and Johto Slowking were not counted because iunno i felt like it. Oh also I didn't do the ones already known to be programmed into the game (like Bulbasaur and Squirtle) because we knew about those months ago and they'll likely be releasing with Home, not with the DLC.

Last edited:
Is there a list of confirmed returning pokes?
Including ones previously confirmed but not in the Galar dex:

Bulbasaur family
Squirtle family
Horsea family
Slowpoke family
Nido families
Magnemite family
Chansey family
Zubat family
Electabuzz family
Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres
Mewtwo
Marill family
Raikou
Entei
Suicune
Lugia
Ho-oh
Celebi
Spheal family
Beldum family
Regirock
Regice
Registeel
Latios
Latias
Groudon
Kyogre
Rayquaza
Jirachi
Gible family
Uxie
Azelf
Mesprit
Cresselia
Heatran
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Zorua family
Cryogonal
Larvesta family
Tornadus
Thundurus
Landorus
Cobalion
Terrakion
Virizion
Keldeo
Fletchling family
Aurorus family
Dedenne
Xerneas
Yveltal
Zygarde
Rockruff family
All four Tapus
Cosmog family
Necrozma
Marshadow
Zeraora

Edit: forgot some, added

Something I thought of: If every single legendary is coming back, I feel like there's a pretty decent chance every starter could return as well. They're just as, if not more iconic to their regions as the respective legendaries.
Worth noting that we don't yet have confirmation of Regigigas (weird exception given the Regis' prominence), any previously unannounced Mythicals, or any of the UBs. I know the latter groups aren't technically legendaries, but still worthy of note.

(That means Ubers is losing Primals, Megas, Arceus, Darkrai, Deoxys, Genesect and Shaymin-S.)

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I don't think it is out of the ordinary for Game Freak to launch events from time to time, and every legendary is coming back even if we thought it didn't before S&S was released.

Furthermore:
- Two new Regi's were introduced, which are Electric & Dragon types respectively
- New forms of the legendary birds.

So I have some questions.

1. Do you think the new Regi's will have inversed stats of their physical and special attacking stats, or will they be completely different stats entirely? What do you speculate they will be?
2. For the 3 new forms of the legendary birds, what do you speculate their typing to be, I've already made my guesses which I will reveal later on.
3. Out of the mons I've just mentioned, who has your favourite design?

I can't wait for the full DLC to come out to I can play around with it on PS. Have a nice day everyone! :psyglad:

To people complaining it's "hurr durr laziness", I'd like to point out to the fact that both new areas combined are bigger than the Wild Area (if I heard it right on the trailer). You're getting basically the best part of the game back in two new Areas full of dens, NPCs and two new story chapters. That's basic DLC practice. And at the same price you pay for 5 fighters on Smash, I'm sold.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
1. Do you think the new Regi's will have inversed stats of their physical and special attacking stats, or will they be completely different stats entirely? What do you speculate they will be?
2. For the 3 new forms of the legendary birds, what do you speculate their typing to be, I've already made my guesses which I will reveal later on.
3. Out of the mons I've just mentioned, who has your favourite design?

I can't wait for the full DLC to come out to I can play around with it on PS. Have a nice day everyone! :psyglad:
1. If these new Regis are offensively inclined like some have speculated, they could be interesting and very powerful too. 150 Special Attack Regidrake pls

2. Moltres freaking HAS to be Fire/Dark, what else could it be?! Zapdos and Articuno are a little more debatable, but I could see Ice/Dark or Ice/Ghost for Articuno, no idea what Zapdos might be.

3. I never thought we'd get a more metal as fuck regional variant than Alolan Marowak, but Galarian Moltres is something else. Regidrake (I'm calling it this until official name is revealed fuggit) and Galarian Zapdos are tied, they look just as sick

Do you think the new Regi's will have inversed stats of their physical and special attacking stats, or will they be completely different stats entirely? What do you speculate they will be?
Different stats entirely. Possibly even not the same BST -- I can see 600. Offensively inclined.

Incidentally, I suspect Urshifu will be 600 BST and Calyrex will be 680 BST.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Since the PMD discussion has been kinda overshadowed, I wanna bring up something interesting about it: The fact they feature Mega Evolution in Rescue Team DX rather than, say, Dynamax.

This could mean one of two things:

1. This game has been in development for a long time, at least before Dynamax was conceived and decided to be pushed as a centerpiece of Gen 8.

2. TPC and co. are fully aware of how popular they are and want to keep them relevant parts of the franchise going forward.

I'm personally more inclined to Option 2. Don't lose hope, Mega Evolution fans!

Since the PMD discussion has been kinda overshadowed, I wanna bring up something interesting about it: The fact they feature Mega Evolution in Rescue Team DX rather than, say, Dynamax.

This could mean one of two things:

1. This game has been in development for a long time, at least before Dynamax was conceived and decided to be pushed as a centerpiece of Gen 8.

2. TPC and co. are fully aware of how popular they are and want to keep them relevant parts of the franchise going forward.

I'm personally more inclined to Option 2. Don't lose hope, Mega Evolution fans!
Or

3. It uses Super Mystery Dungeon as a base.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)