Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Calyrex is incredibly fascinating. I'm quite a lore fanatic when it comes to stuff like this and I love looking into Legendary Pokemon lore, and since Calyrex is shaping up th be the "mascot" of the expansion pass, it's seemingly shaping up to be a "third legendary" for Galar.

I'm mainly looking forward to seeing if Calyrex has a relationship with Zacian and Zamazenta, the two known major legendaries of Galar (and perhaps Eternatus too). Calyrex from what the official website is saying is the "King Pokemon" and is said to have once been the ruler of all of Galar, and a "king" of Galar was alluded to several times in the original Sword and Shield story, from what I remember, hailing back to the same ancient era that Zacian and Zamazenta were revered as heroes in. Perhaps there is some relation with Calyrex having once been Galar's ruler, and perhaps having a relationship with the known legendaries that we have atm like Zacian, Zamazenta, and even Eternatus. I'm extremely interested in the expansion pass stories and how they will tie in for Galar, and I'm greatly interested in how Calyrex plays into Galarian legends and history, especially if it's related to the other major legends.

By the way, I think some of this has been mentioned before, but having it all in one post is some stuff clarified on the site that wasn't mentioned (or maybe it was and i missed it lol) in the direct:
-Each expansion will have ~100+ pokemon in it. Expected but I saw some not sure.
-You have to reach the Wild Area for the first time in order to go to the DLC locales
-Kubfu, Ushifu, Calyrex are all explicitly Legendary Pokemon
-Kubfu's ability is Inner Focus, Urshifu's is a new one called "Unseen Fist" for both forms, Calyrex is Unnerve
-Mustard was champion for 18 years and never beaten. I'm underlining this not just because it's neat lore but we know there's post-game battles....
-The Islands and the Tundra will have their own specific pokedexes
-The section for Move Tutors specifies "New moves that have never been available in past Pokémon series games will appear in this expansion!" and I'm really curious if this is a bunch of brand new moves or new for move tutors
-Armor will introduce "Restricted Sparring" described as "you’ll be limited in what types of Pokémon you can use and forced to battle under set conditions! "
-Crown won't introduce any additional items (or at least, the special items like apricorns and the exp charm since obviously Slowpoke needs it sslowking item), battle styles or move tutors
-A bit obvious I guess but underneath their chart they specify there will be additional "new & appealing" features that they havent shown off yet

-Each expansion will have ~100+ pokemon in it. Expected but I saw some not sure.
-You have to reach the Wild Area for the first time in order to go to the DLC locales
These two are curious to me right off the bat.

The reason I was assuming the 35 coded in would be included in their 200+ count was because they never specified when those 200 would all be coming. But if they’re specifying each expansion will introduce 100+ each way after we’re supposed to know about and receive the 35, I think we can safely say 635+.

That other note is strange though as I swear they explicitly stated they would become available in the aftergame.

These two are curious to me right off the bat.

The reason I was assuming the 35 coded in would be included in their 200+ count was because they never specified when those 200 would all be coming. But if they’re specifying each expansion will introduce 100+ each way after we’re supposed to know about and receive the 35, I think we can safely say 635+.
I mean they could just let you access to, say, the starters & Mew but just flag the legends as not available for transfer until Crown. Stupid, true, but possible until we get more information on Home.
That other note is strange though as I swear they explicitly stated they would become available in the aftergame.
They state in the direct that it's designed to be something you could access no matter if you've already beaten the game, are currently going through it or just started (with the caveat of gotta get to the wild area first, as specified by teh website). They later went out of their way to specify that there would be special stuff to do after you've completed the main story.

Wasn’t that Zacian and Zamazenta were the royals actually?
The kings actually existed and they called on the wolves to stop the darkest day. Hop & the player character are stand ins for the former Kings who held the sword & shield aloft.

The crux of the royal twins' argument is that, actually, the wolves were bad and evil and dumb and there's no WAY their very good and smart and strong kingly lineage would ever call on their help to stop the darkest day and you're all liars for believing the wolves were the true heroes!!

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
So I know a lot of people are meming right now about "oh no Lando-T/Chansey/possible DDance Garchomp competitive is ruined this gen" but I just wanna draw attention to the fact the Crobat line is confirmed to return. Seeing as it's been explicitly stated to be one of the Pokemon that'll be in the Crowned Tundra and not some transfer-only thing this technically makes this the 8th region in a row it's been a part of the regional Pokedex. Not even Dexit could stop the Zubat line from infesting yet another region, bow down and praise our bat overlords

So I know a lot of people are meming right now about "oh no Lando-T/Chansey/possible DDance Garchomp competitive is ruined this gen" but I just wanna draw attention to the fact the Crobat line is confirmed to return. Seeing as it's been explicitly stated to be one of the Pokemon that'll be in the Crowned Tundra and not some transfer-only thing this technically makes this the 8th region in a row it's been a part of the regional Pokedex. Not even Dexit could stop the Zubat line from infesting yet another region, bow down and praise our bat overlords
Magnemite as well! Now we just need Geodude...

So all this talk about the kings, I really hope that Crown Tundra dealing with a former poke-ruler of the region also gives more lore details on the wolves because there's some pretty interesting poitns that are brought up once in passing and then never again that feel at least a little important, such as the fact that according to Sonia the wolves are actually from somewhere far beyond the slumbering weald and that these records are available in other regions or how the wolves are like astrally projecting their spirits or this bizarre number in Zamazenta's pokedex
This Pokémon slept for aeons while in the form of a statue. It was asleep for so long, people forgot that it ever existed.
Legendary Pokemon lore supplements don't usually bug me but both these things feel like they should be more important than they actually are

i'd also like more eternatus lore, please

So all this talk about the kings, I really hope that Crown Tundra dealing with a former poke-ruler of the region also gives more lore details on the wolves because there's some pretty interesting points that are brought up once in passing and then never again that feel at least a little important, such as the fact that according to Sonia the wolves are actually from somewhere far beyond the Slumbering Weald and that these records are available in other regions or how the wolves are like asstrally projecting their spirits or this bizarre number in Zamazenta's pokedex

Legendary Pokemon lore supplements don't usually bug me but both these things feel like they should be more important than they actually are

i'd also like more eternatus lore, please

According to the Wiki:
  • Eternatus serves as the source of the Dynamax and Gigantamax phenomena in Galar due to its power leaking out in the form of Galar Particles following its defeat thousands of years ago by Zacian and Zamazenta. Pieces of its body imbued with its power rain down throughout Galar in the form of Wishing Pieces, Wishing Chips and Wishing Stars.
  • 3,000 years ago, when Eternatus attempted to stay alive by absorbing Galar's energy, it caused a red light to appear. This resulted in the Darkest Day. This phenomenon, in the form of a black storm, caused Pokémon to Dynamax and Gigantamax. However, they became berserk in the process, almost destroying the region. The event ended when Eternatus was defeated by Zacian and Zamazenta.
1578689252600.png

According to the Wiki:
  • Eternatus serves as the source of the Dynamax and Gigantamax phenomena in Galar due to its power leaking out in the form of Galar Particles following its defeat thousands of years ago by Zacian and Zamazenta. Pieces of its body imbued with its power rain down throughout Galar in the form of Wishing Pieces, Wishing Chips and Wishing Stars.
  • 3,000 years ago, when Eternatus attempted to stay alive by absorbing Galar's energy, it caused a red light to appear. This resulted in the Darkest Day. This phenomenon, in the form of a black storm, caused Pokémon to Dynamax and Gigantamax. However, they became berserk in the process, almost destroying the region. The event ended when Eternatus was defeated by Zacian and Zamazenta.
View attachment 217889
I'm more curious about things like:
-Eternatus originally came down about 20,000 years ago. It presumably started absorbing energy at that point, but we don't have a lot of context as to what caused it to "overload"; if it just naturally happens then doesnt that make Eternatus a walking, eternal disaster where the Darkest Day is just always going to happen? That's fine if so but maybe like...acknowledge it....please.
-What happened to Eternatus after its defeat by the wolves. It appeared to be in an egg of some sort, why'd that happen then but not now? Because we caught it? Again, fine if so but please acknolwedge the weird giant egg , game, it's a nice set piece.
-Where was Eternatus post-defeat? Considering it's the crux of Rose's plan I feel like finding where this thing came from is pretty important. Even XY had some throwaway lines about Xerneas's tree resting in a forest and Yveltal's cocoon resting in the mountains.
-Wishing stars are still part of Eternatus which is probably why it reacts so strongly when getting overloaded but uhhh why are wishing stars still falling 20k years later?

There's things you can read into each of these, probably even come up with some good headcannons and explanations, but it feels like they put the scaffolding of Deep Lore (TM) but didn't follow through so you just got these weirds odds & ends that seem like they should be at least a little more important than they actually are.

I'm more curious about things like:
-Eternatus originally came down about 20,000 years ago. It presumably started absorbing energy at that point, but we don't have a lot of context as to what caused it to "overload"; if it just naturally happens then doesnt that make Eternatus a walking, eternal disaster where the Darkest Day is just always going to happen? That's fine if so but maybe like...acknowledge it....please.
-What happened to Eternatus after its defeat by the wolves. It appeared to be in an egg of some sort, why'd that happen then but not now? Because we caught it? Again, fine if so but please acknolwedge the weird giant egg , game, it's a nice set piece.
-Where was Eternatus post-defeat? Considering it's the crux of Rose's plan I feel like finding where this thing came from is pretty important. Even XY had some throwaway lines about Xerneas's tree resting in a forest and Yveltal's cocoon resting in the mountains.
-Wishing stars are still part of Eternatus which is probably why it reacts so strongly when getting overloaded but uhhh why are wishing stars still falling 20k years later?

There's things you can read into each of these, probably even come up with some good headcannons and explanations, but it feels like they put the scaffolding of Deep Lore (TM) but didn't follow through so you just got these weirds odds & ends that seem like they should be at least a little more important than they actually are.
I agree, and I hope the DLC gets into it more since we'll have 2 new legendaries. Maybe the birds and new Regis will come into play as well.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
power herb geomancy xerneas with double hp, and 130 bp stab that summons misty terrain, which 'goes through' protect
and can't be flinched, phazed, encored, disabled, or destiny bonded
perfectly balanced, as all things should be
+1 252 Atk Zacian Behemoth Blade vs. 0 HP / 168 Def Xerneas: 1056-1248 (134.3 - 158.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Good thing we have Zacian, at least!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Before I begin, now that I'm also taking a look at the main site for more info, just want to add some more thoughts and make a correction on the new Legendaries we were told about:

Kubfu & Urshifu:
  • It's mentioned that Kubfu isn't actually from the Galar Region (its species might have originated from Galar, but no Kubfu live in Galar today) but from a faraway, mountainous land. Considering it's the "Wushu Pokemon", this sounds like maybe there's a region based on China? Maybe a hint the next region will be Poke-China?
  • And now a correction: previously I mentioned the Styles were version exclusive. That's wrong, the Style it'll become is said to depend on choice we make during our adventure. Not sure if this means decisiosn we make in Mustard's Dojo or there's factors outside that like moves it learns or what it does during battle (like how Galarian Farfetch'd keeps track to how many Critical Hits it lands during a battle).
Calyrex:
  • So Calyrex's appearance may not be as random as I throught, or rather it looks thrown together because it's probably based on a mythical creature that's several animals thrown together: the German Wolpertinger (and its similar cousins the Swedish Skvader or, probably the better known, American Jackalope). It's usually a rabbit with deer antlers and wings, obviously Calyrex mixes some details up but the parts are all there.
  • Also Calyrex is Galar's ancient ruler and can see every past, present, and future event... so wouldn't that mean it saw it losing its rule over Galar yet did nothing about it? Didn't quite think that one through methinks.
Now onto the ones I haven't shared my thoughts on yet:

Gigantamax Galar Starters:
  • Just in general they all share an interesting theme where the Pokemon itself doesn't grow much in size but rather parts of it. It's an interesting way of going about Gigantamax of having the Galar Starters Gigantamax stand out.
  • For Rillaboom it's its wooden drum and hair that grows and become a small forest, also using its hair to hold drumsticks to reach the additional drums and cymbals. It's the most creative of the three.
  • For Cinderace its ears grow longer but, more importantly, it's now standing on a GIANT FIREBALL (that's of course in the shape of Cinderace's face). I award it the most ludicrous of the three.
  • Finally for Inteleon they go to their standby "look how TALL we can make things now" by having Inteleon's tail grow so long it uses it as a sniper nest, it's finger also growing long to become a sniper rifle (bet you thought you'd never see that in a Pokemon game!). I'd say it's the most reasonable of the three.
Galarian Slowpoke Family:
  • I feel Galarian Slowpoke is kind of lazy in design (maybe that's the joke?). Only thing that changed about it was its forehead and tip of its tail turned yellow and is pure Psychic-type now (and its stats and movepool didn't change).
  • I'm going to guess the major differences will be in its evolutions. We've got a sneak peak at them and most interesting is that Galarian Slowbro doesn't have anything on its tail. We don't see its face, which is a theme as they showed us all of Galarian Slowking except its face was scribbled out (though we can still see that its head is covered by some hood which has what looks to be eyes on the inside lining).
  • To evolve Galarian Slowpoke you need items from the expansion locations: Galarian Slowbro's item is in the Isle of Armor and Slowking's item is in the Crown Tundra (which is kind of strange they're going to release one a few month before the other). Anyway, I wonder if the expansion you get the item may have a role in playing what changes happen with the evolutions?
Gigantamax Kanto Starters:
  • Because it just wouldn't be fair if Charizard got all the fun (at this point I'm surprised they all didn't get Signature Z-Moves last gen).
  • Gigantamax Venusaur, well I guess it makes sense though still think they could have done more or something else. Like Charizard becomes a giant, glowing, burning dragon with wings and horns of flames! Venusaur... has its flower grow so big it covers it like a big hat. Not sure what they could have done that hasn't been done by another Gigantamax, maybe if they want to go with the flower idea have more big flowers layered on top like a flower evergreen tree?
  • Gigantamax Blastoise is much better as, while its cannons are removed, its exchanged for changing its shell into an armed fortress! While plenty awesome... still gotta say Charizard is better as, aside from its shell, nothing else about Blastoise changes.
  • Also I think it goes without saying their Mega Evolutions were better.

Gamexplain pointed out there is a brief frame where we see artwork of Slowbro's head. It's the same except it has purple tipped just like its arms and tail. It's possible there's something weirder going on in the brief part of the body we dont' see, but it very well could just be a slowbro minus shellder deal.

Magnemite as well! Now we just need Geodude...
Let’s not forget Psyduck and Golduck. Geodude was not in Unova.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)