Format Discussion Pokemon Sun/Moon Random Battle sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firium Z Cherrim, Weather ball, Sunny Day, Giga Drain, HP Ice. Weather ball can't be boosted by Firium so it's pretty much completely useless (z sunny day is not worth a z slot)

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Firium Z Cherrim, Weather ball, Sunny Day, Giga Drain, HP Ice. Weather ball can't be boosted by Firium so it's pretty much completely useless (z sunny day is not worth a z slot)
it's got firium specifically for z-sunny day because it doesn't have chlorophyll and really wants the speed boost.

Purugly with Return, Sucker Punch, Quick Attack and U-Turn, Quick Attack is completely useless when it gets Fake Out

Pickup Ambipom is pointless when it gets Skill Link Tail Slap and Technician Fake Out

I noticed a lot of pokemon in general no longer have Fake Out and Defog, and the moves they use instead are almost always inferior

Reactions: pqs

breh

強いだね
Own Tempo Ludicolo is worse than either ability; the chance that you will be confused is next to nothing and the chance something else sets rain is higher. If the Pokemon doesn't have a thrash clone it is worthless.

this is intentional, physical mons with 3 attacks + defog can get scarf
JavaScript:
else if (counter.Physical >= 3 && hasMove['defog'] && template.baseStats.spe >= 60 && template.baseStats.spe <= 108 && !counter['priority'] && !hasMove['foulplay'] && !isDoubles) {
            item = 'Choice Scarf';
Pokemon that can have this occur:

Pidgeot
Shiftry
Flygon
Skuntank

As far as I know, it is only these 4. I can't really see Pidgeot appreciating it and scarf Skuntank is just straight up bad. Flygon is ok (levitate + rock resist makes it a good defogger in general, scarf u-turn is nice too but it can get eq / outrage / fire punch which is... less ideal) and Shiftry can only get it with specifically Leaf Blade / Low Kick / Knock Off / Defog, which is honestly not bad either since Shiftry is of middling speed and Knock Off from above is nice. Arbitrarily, there could be an attack cutoff for this of ~100 atk.

On the topic of Defog, something I never knew - Chimecho gets it. The CM set can be kind of clutch, but Recover + Defog + Levitate + rocks neutral could be really quite good in a meta starved for hazards removal.

pisxel

when my star shines, will you think of me? ☆
I know most people play Gen 8 Random Battle but I think it's note-worthy, and worth fixing since some people go to the Gen 7 ladder to avoid dynamaxing and other Gen 8-exclusive features.

If the Pokemon has their respective Mega Stone, force the generated ability to something that goes well with said mega Pokemon prior to Mega Evolving.

Since that can be confusing, allow me to explain: I've seen Gyarados many times with Moxie + Gyaradosite, which doesn't make sense as the player is going to most likely want to Mega Evolve to K.O the target since Gyarados-Mega's attack stat is 155 vs Gyarados' 125, so Moxie would be completely useless.
Instead, Gyarados should be forced to have Intimidate since it's absolutely more useful than Moxie prior to Mega Evolving.

Here's some more abilities that should be forced when the given Pokemon is holding their Mega Stone. (Excluding normally useless/'harmful' abilities such as Klutz)

Banette: Frisk / Cursed Body ; Insomnia is only good in situations where the opponent is well, trying to put you to sleep, but due to Sleep Clause no more than 1 Pokemon on your team may be put to sleep by the opponent, so it is very situational.

Heracross: Swarm / Guts ; Again just like Gyarados, Moxie is useless as you're absolutely going to Mega Evolve Heracross, no explanation needed.

Mawile: Hyper Cutter / Intimidate ; You're going to want to immediately Mega Evolve Mawile if you're attacking, making Sheer Force useless.

Pidgeot: Keen Eye ; Tangled Feet is only applicable in very little situations, and Big Pecks is even less applicable than Tangled Feet.

Pinsir: Hyper Cutter ; Another Moxie Pokemon, you know the drill. Also Hyper Cutter can be used in more situations than Mold Breaker, primarily to ignore Intimidate.

Salamence: Intimidate ; Same exact reason as Gyarados.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I know most people play Gen 8 Random Battle but I think it's note-worthy, and worth fixing since some people go to the Gen 7 ladder to avoid dynamaxing and other Gen 8-exclusive features.

If the Pokemon has their respective Mega Stone, force the generated ability to something that goes well with said mega Pokemon prior to Mega Evolving.

Since that can be confusing, allow me to explain: I've seen Gyarados many times with Moxie + Gyaradosite, which doesn't make sense as the player is going to most likely want to Mega Evolve to K.O the target since Gyarados-Mega's attack stat is 155 vs Gyarados' 125, so Moxie would be completely useless.
Instead, Gyarados should be forced to have Intimidate since it's absolutely more useful than Moxie prior to Mega Evolving.

Here's some more abilities that should be forced when the given Pokemon is holding their Mega Stone. (Excluding normally useless/'harmful' abilities such as Klutz)

Banette: Frisk / Cursed Body ; Insomnia is only good in situations where the opponent is well, trying to put you to sleep, but due to Sleep Clause no more than 1 Pokemon on your team may be put to sleep by the opponent, so it is very situational.

Heracross: Swarm / Guts ; Again just like Gyarados, Moxie is useless as you're absolutely going to Mega Evolve Heracross, no explanation needed.

Mawile: Hyper Cutter / Intimidate ; You're going to want to immediately Mega Evolve Mawile if you're attacking, making Sheer Force useless.

Pidgeot: Keen Eye ; Tangled Feet is only applicable in very little situations, and Big Pecks is even less applicable than Tangled Feet.

Pinsir: Hyper Cutter ; Another Moxie Pokemon, you know the drill. Also Hyper Cutter can be used in more situations than Mold Breaker, primarily to ignore Intimidate.

Salamence: Intimidate ; Same exact reason as Gyarados.
For all of these except Intimidate Mega Mawile I frankly don't see a really strong reason for forcing an ability because they're all situational to some degree. I've found Moxie useful on Mega Gyarados in particular before since Gyarados is often able to grab a KO even without mega evolving.

If anything, you'd want to remove Keen Eye Mega Pidgeot since the ability is absolutely useless when the mega has No Guard. I don't remember ever getting one of these though.

pisxel

when my star shines, will you think of me? ☆
For all of these except Intimidate Mega Mawile I frankly don't see a really strong reason for forcing an ability because they're all situational to some degree. I've found Moxie useful on Mega Gyarados in particular before since Gyarados is often able to grab a KO even without mega evolving.

If anything, you'd want to remove Keen Eye Mega Pidgeot since the ability is absolutely useless when the mega has No Guard. I don't remember ever getting one of these though.
Ah ok, I see what ur saying. Thanks mate

Hello all, I'm new here. First of all, I want to say that I absolutely love your game. I love pokemon, but I love randbats even more. Some people like tetris, some like candy crush, some like Mario kart. For me, it's randbats.

So for me to not be playing randbats and make an account to post here, it honestly takes alot of a motivating issue. And that issue for me is Goth. It's not because I find the pokemon itself is bad(it is) nor because I hate stall(I do), but because I think the reasoning behind the troll set is flawed. I saw some other people already posted about it before, so I'm going to go through those posts first so I can get up to speed on the discussion on Goth.

Gothitelle absolutely sucks at attempting to do anything offensive given its low Speed and Special Attack and middling bulk at best, so this is its most efficient set. The Randbats developer does not want to change it. It won't change.
Ok, I am assuming this is The Immortal saying this. Well, it's quite a statement. I don't even know where to begin.

Lets see, you say that it sucks because it's stats are bad. Correct, there's nothing wrong with that. Then you say that the troll set is the most efficient set.

But what is "the most efficient set". What does efficiency mean to you? How do you define efficiency? Also, how you define efficiency may differ from how someone else defines efficiency. So whose definition is correct? The only way is to collaborate on the issue. Hold a discussion about it. Talk about it to find out the best definition of efficiency for everybody. Why? So you can make a better game.

Then you said something that makes me want to cry. You said that you do not want to change it. You even said that it won't change. Well I don't think it's fair to be so stubborn regardless of whatever it is we are talking about. I can make a case for Goth. But would you be willing to listen?

Last edited:
Can't see the issue here at a glance, looks like standard PP staller gothitelle to me.
I do not believe it should be Gothitelle's default set and its playstyle should not be prominent in randbats.

To be clear, I am NOT advocating against the presence of stall in the game. I have played other formats, and I know that stall is a legitimate playstyle. Furthermore, I believe anything that's possible in the game(such as no attacks stall sets) should be given the opportunity to be played in randbats. So I am NOT a person who needlessly and randomly advocates for bannings or unbannings based on my personal preferences. I only want to see a rule implemented if it actually improves gameplay without affecting or taking away from other players.

I am suggesting a change to Goth in its current state. I would like to see Goth's previous versions in the randbats pool. My personal preference however, is to never see the troll set again. This is because of 1 very important reason: It has no attacks. Without attacks, it cannot reduce the opponent's HP. Additionally, in order to use Goth effectively(through stalling), you're increasing your game's turn count by an unreasonable amount. I like Randbats because of its fast-paced gameplay. The troll set ruins this, and makes the game UNFUN.

I think the solution would be to put the choice sets and calm mind sets back into the randbats pool. Also, I hope that dedicated, hardcore stall sets(troll sets) are removed from randbats or at least appear in a very, very small amount of games(like 1 in 1000).

yeah that set is intentional and will not be changed
Look, it's fine to have a joke set. It's fine to make impatient players salty. It's fine to have a set that noobs don't understand. However, Goth is crossing the line. It ruins the game not just for myself, but many other people.

There's no rule against it, no
Else Randbats Smeargle wouldn't exist in the way it does
Smeargle makes a much more tangible impact than goth does.

[/QUOTE]
The point of the set isn't just to pp stall, you can simply use it to get something to -6 in order to go out into a sweeper to get a free turn of set up that you may not normally get. As far as giving it attacking moves it had an attacking set prior to this one and it was very underwhelming even with Calm Mind to help it.
This is a use that I hadn't thought of. I guess the reason why I hadn't thought of it is because I never got the chance to actually pull it off without goth dying. Goth is too frail to reliably debuff with. I've played the 1v1 format, and you honestly need something bulkier to make this strat work. Attacks on the other hand always reduce damage. Even if it's a pitiful amount, some damage is always better than no damage and brings you that much closer to victory.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
I'm asking nicely to please stop. nothing will be done about this still. I understand that you're angry, but this is an old random metagame and singular set changes aren't really happening for this anymore.

That is Goth’s best set. You can see many people agree so. We’re not intentionally giving Pokémon nerfed sets. You can make a case about why it isn’t the best set, but what is fun or unfun has no place in the argument.

I'm asking nicely to please stop. nothing will be done about this still. I understand that you're angry, but this is an old random metagame and singular set changes aren't really happening for this anymore.
Thanks for responding, but I'm really just interested in the game. If the game was fine, I'd be playing it instead of posting here. I honestly meant to post about it before sword and shield, but I thought that since sword and shield was coming out, goth wouldn't be an issue again. But look where we are at now.

That is Goth’s best set. You can see many people agree so. We’re not intentionally giving Pokémon nerfed sets. You can make a case about why it isn’t the best set, but what is fun or unfun has no place in the argument.
It is not the best set because it does not do damage. The win condition of a Pokemon battle is to defeat all Pokémon on the opposing team first. Pokemon are defeated by reducing HP to zero. Without attacks, Goth does not have a use. Therefore, literally any other set with an attack is better than the current one.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Thanks for responding, but I'm really just interested in the game. If the game was fine, I'd be playing it instead of posting here. I honestly meant to post about it before sword and shield, but I thought that since sword and shield was coming out, goth wouldn't be an issue again. But look where we are at now.

It is not the best set because it does not do damage. The win condition of a Pokemon battle is to defeat all Pokémon on the opposing team first. Pokemon are defeated by reducing HP to zero. Without attacks, Goth does not have a use. Therefore, literally any other set with an attack is better than the current one.
Struggle

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
Causing the foe to use Struggle by depleting their PP is a competitively viable way to deal damage to and KO a trapped foe and is, in fact, the most consistent way Gothitelle can KO foes given its stats, typing, and level. This is the set it runs in Ubers in Gen 7, for this same reason. Such a method allows Gothitelle to trap and KO not only Psychic-weak Pokemon, but also almost any Pokemon lacking setup or intense wallbreaking ability.

My apologies, it seems that either I'm not making a good enough argument or I'm not understanding something that everyone else seems to get. Feel free to tell me why confide/charm/rest/taunt is the best set.
Pokémon have different roles. It’s not optimal for all Pokémon to inflict damage via attacking moves. You can read about roles here.

RSB

Dreaming of a shore bordering another world
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Assuming this is Goth's best set, should this be its only set? This is random battles after all. The sets should be different.
Sets in random battles are generated based on a pool of moves to pull from and goth only has those 4 moves in its pool making it the only set. If we were to add more moves it would mess up the role it's supposed to fill so we keep it with only 4 moves.

Sets in random battles are generated based on a pool of moves to pull from and goth only has those 4 moves in its pool making it the only set. If we were to add more moves it would mess up the role it's supposed to fill so we keep it with only 4 moves.
Not that you actually should do this, but why can't we just make a second set of moves?

Not that I want Gothitelle to have another set of moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)