Headlines “Politics” [read the OP before posting]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect Biden to implement about as many progressive policies as Obama did when the Democrats had full control of Congress in 2009

Obama didn't do shit and protected the banks from failing, despite running on a very progressive platform including things like universal healthcare. It's called lying, and politicians do it all the time. They will say anything to get elected.

If you actually care about these policies and think Biden is the best way to get them implemented, I really suggest you go look at what the Dems have actually done in the past 40+ years. How they vote. What they do when they have the power to make change. Where their money comes from. It makes it quite clear where their loyalties lie and what they really care about.
This is the usual bullshit right wing talking points. For starters, the President does not make legislation. Obama had a (non-filibuster proof) Democratic trifecta for only 2 years. That time was almost entirely spent saving the economy from the Bush recession and trying to pass the Affordable Care Act. For the final six years, Republicans controlled the House, thus the legislative agenda.

It’s convenient to complain about how little the Democrats accomplished in the last forty years without any context or respect for the importance of holding congressional power. Only four of the last forty years had Democratic Trifecta’s, both examples followed disastrous Republican economies (the exact situation Biden is walking into). At some point, liberals, progressives, and Democrats have to take responsibility for not doing what it takes to hold power to make more legislative achievements. What can be accomplished with unified Democratic control is on display currently in a number of states (California, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, Virginia to name a few). Progressive agenda will be second to rescuing this country from COVID-19, the recession, and Trump’s corruption. If by some miracle the trifecta survives the 2022 midterm, we can push for more transformative policies. How about we do less bitching and more voting?

Last edited:

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
the american capitalist miracle: creating a fanatical and deranged reactionary flank that engages its leadership in a process of whipping and being whipped by chains in turn and setting it in opposition to a quiescent and timid majority who worship slavishly at the feet of the leadership who are the very reason they cannot have the modest gains they claim to want. a long network of scams to sell snake oil put against a voting-industrial complex designed to keep a class of faceless wonknerds in patagonia vests toddling fatly from coffeeshop to yoga studio to chipotle.

I honestly love how this recent thread of discussion started with someone saying "haha I wonder how long it'll be before libs tell us that we have to be nice to biden until the midterms are over." Based on the responses to that itt, the answer seems to be "they're already telling us that and he hasn't even been elected"

Yawn. The moment liberals stop being useful for the left, the left will instantly create a coalition with republican rural types and hang the liberals in the city squares for yet other "communist utopia".

Isn't it the time to stop tolerating the blatant intolerance coming from the left?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yawn. The moment liberals stop being useful for the left, the left will instantly create a coalition with republican rural retards and hang the liberals in the city squares for yet other "communist utopia".

Isn't it the time to stop tolerating the blatant intolerance coming from the left?
These leftists types don't actually exist in real life. Some of the people posting in this thread don't even vote in America. Vast majority of voters are old people who have raised a family and have more important things to do in their life. Just ignore them and move on. Bernie Sanders got destroyed in the primary by a person who didn't even run a good campaign lol

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yawn. The moment liberals stop being useful for the left, the left will instantly create a coalition with republican rural retards and hang the liberals in the city squares for yet other "communist utopia".

You mean like, its time to hang the leftists in city squares or something?

I dunno, if it was me I would probably look at trying not murdering black people. That does seem to be the primary motivator behind the uprisings.
That would stop that particular leftist uprising, but ultimately it will simply recur in different form for whatever popular progressive cause is. What I'm saying is that the liberals need to stay on their course or leftists will overtake.

View attachment 281920
I think that's what the leftists are saying as well.

[edit] - you caught me with that edit there...
Not my intention to catch anyone with edit. I reworded it to capture my thought better. My goal was to point out these specific existing policies that are liberals' key to maintaining the course.

Of course, it just happens to be Trump who is against these specific policies. It's an unfortunate thing that leftists consistently vote against their own self interest.

Reactions: pqs
orch has never maintained a coherent politic in this thread, or any thread for that matter. it is either ignorance, sophistry, or casuistry. don't be fooled by people who repeatedly double down on bigotry, yet fearmonger that the scary leftists are going to come behead all the liberals in tandem with their republican besties. like come on bro.

At the core I want Trump gone. Biden could literally spend 4 years twiddling his thumbs and I would be content. But that said Biden does have a progressive campaign. If he was as influential as Obama I would be very happy. You say Obama didn't do shit yet he...
Cool. Here, I'm gonna list some things a president has done, and I'll let you determine whether it was Obama or Trump.

Drone strikes, including those that killed American citizens
Having Citibank, a corporation, privately vet his cabinet
Bailed out Wall Street and actively protected them while his party controlled both the House and Senate, and left everyone whose homes got foreclosed with nothing
Expanded and made permanent Bush era policies and tax cuts, despite vowing to end many of them. Pardoned people who performed torture.
Cracked down on whistleblowers and expanded NSA spying
Approved and signed a law that allows the government to remove someone's right of Habeas Corpus if the government determined they're "belligerent"
Deporting Honduran children to send a message to their parents (this was explicitly the reason)
Created internment camps at the country's southern border
Reinstated the use of military equipment by the police in order to suppress BLM protests, including grenade launchers and armored vehicles
Enacted a healthcare plan created by a Republican think tank
Banned immigrants from Muslim countries like Syria and Iran via executive order

If you guessed Obama for all of them, you'd be right. So, if you don't wanna live in a racist, fascist hellhole... well, too late.

If you're well off enough that things like this don't concern you, that's great. Lucky for you. Most people aren't. A lot of people can't afford to wait 4 more years while Biden sits on his hands.

$7.25/hr is a fucking joke and the fact that you praise it is just proof that you've never had to worry about money in your life nor have you ever meaningfully interacted with someone who has. Twice that is barely enough to afford a cheap apartment and other necessities where I live in the midwest, and you're fucked if you have an emergency. If it was an expensive area (like California where I grew up) you'd be living out of your car.

The fact that you'd be okay with Biden doing nothing when climate change is set to destroy our planet if drastic action isn't taken immediately shows you lack perspective. Do you care about your future? That of your children (future or otherwise) or the children of your friends and family?

if only we could all be so lucky

nah just kidding I'm a russian shill right RaikouLover ??? after all, everyone who doesn't blindly agree with you has to be an alt-right troll

The funny thing there is that the first time I saw people use the "shill" and "bad faith actor" arguments to try to deflect away from having to talk about facts was when I was a dumb kid that browsed 4chan and saw the /pol/ crazies using it. Well, except it's not funny. It's tragic that you have such a slavish devotion to a group of people who don't even know you exist and don't care about your well being to the point that you think anyone who would dare criticize your false idols is acting out of malice or deceit

nah just kidding I'm a russian shill right RaikouLover ??? after all, everyone who doesn't blindly agree with you has to be an alt-right troll

The funny thing there is that the first time I saw people use the "shill" and "bad faith actor" arguments to try to deflect away from having to talk about facts was when I was a dumb kid that browsed 4chan and saw the /pol/ crazies using it. Well, except it's not funny. It's tragic that you have such a slavish devotion to a group of people who don't even know you exist and don't care about your well being to the point that you think anyone who would dare criticize your false idols is acting out of malice or deceit
That’s a rather pathetic strawman argument. My support of Joe Biden is not personal. Politics are not about a person or Messiah complex; it’s about power. With Joe Biden, activists and minorities will have a seat at the negotiation table. Joe Biden will have the most diverse and liberal cabinet in U.S. history. With Donald Trump, we get none of that. Zero, zilch, nada. Voting is about way more than any one politician.

Its naive to think that politics aren’t nakedly transactional. That’s what conservatives understand yet a lot of liberals and progressives don’t. LBJ being a racist is inconsequential compared to the civil rights legislation he signed. Vote for who we can negotiate with. In this election there is only one choice.

Last edited:
in a way, this is close to correct. it should be 'who we can defeat,' though, which is a profound difference that liberals do not recognize. in fact, as you've shown, they have no desire to defeat biden at all. which is exactly the problem
How does it benefit liberals and progressives to “defeat” Biden in 2020?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
boo836 Ungrind the axe already. Making wild insinuations does nothing for you but to derail the conversation. I too am curious exactly what lily means, but it does nothing to say the things you just did about them.

Take a break before your next response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)