Metagame Alphabet Cup

Is regigigas any dangerous as he gets role play? Or is it not so strong as he lacks of boosting moves and can only use 3 moves indeed?
Regigigas is one of my favorite meme sets in that it has the potential to be hecka powerful, but that's held back by pretty much what you stated.

Here's the best I've made out of it:

:ss/regigigas:
Regigigas @ Leftovers
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Role Play
- Roost / Recover
- Power-Up Punch / Coverage
- Body Slam / Facade / Strength

This set has less opportunity to build a whole lot of momentum, but it gets recovery and you can drop PuP for coverage to decrease your chances of getting walled by something like a ghost type.

:ss/regigigas:
Regigigas @ Leftovers
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD | 252 Atk / 4SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
- Role Play
- Rapid Spin / Coverage
- Power-Up Punch / Coverage
- Body Slam / Facade / Strength

This set is a lot more aggressive, and you have to drop your healing, but it definitely can put in work as a result.
After just one Rapid Spin, you are safely outspeeding everything up to theoretically base 127 speed mons. After two, you're outspeeding everything but :regieleki:. At +3, you're outspeeding pretty much whatever you want.

+2 252+ Atk Regigigas Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 645-760 (90.3 - 106.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Regigigas Body Slam vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 306-361 (108.8 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Regigigas Body Slam vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Mow: 253-298 (83.4 - 98.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Regigigas Body Slam vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 295-348 (97.3 - 114.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Regigigas: 273-321 (64.3 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Are you going to destroy planets with this? Probably not. Can you? You bet.

So? When will you ban magearna?
It's the most unbrain pkm with so many boost moves and milk drink.. Only crit to kill it..

LatiasDigs

formerly digitalson
It's the most unbrain pkm with so many boost moves and milk drink.. Only crit to kill it..
you can also run stuff like topsy turvy, or a powerful enough physical super effective attack, maybe mag is op still but there is more counterplay than just crits

In addition to what digitalson said, you can also just use Taunt or Haze.

Also stuff like this:
252 SpA Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 320-378 (87.9 - 103.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

252+ SpA Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Magearna in Sun: 384-452 (105.4 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Bisharp Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 496-584 (136.2 - 160.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I could give plenty of other calcs, but I think the point is being made.

I'm not saying Magearna isn't good - she absolutely is - but she's by no means broken.

After playing this constantly the past few days (and even topping the ladder on two different alts) I feel confident enough to share some of my thoughts on the meta. It's pretty fun and doesn't feel super unbalanced. There are some things I feel we should collectively keep an eye on, though. So here they are:

Magearna
The Magearna shitposter has prompted me to action. I am of the opinion that Magearna is currently the best mon in Alphabet Cup, overall. That isn't to say I think it's broken necessarily, but it has a panoply of good sets, even if each individual set can't accomplish everything. Besides all of its standard OU sets, you will also see defensive and CM sets relying on Milk Drink. These usually use Moonblast as their main attacking move and are often running fire coverage (usually Mystical Fire). The standard Draining Kiss set exists too, but I've also seen a mono-Stored Power set which seems a bit too reliant on surprise factor to my liking. Specs sets often opt for Magma Storm which can be very punishing to opposing defensive Magearna. There is also tech like Moongeist Beam which is probably the best two-move neutral coverage with Moonblast on an offensive set (although it misses out on certain key things and has a low PP count), Meteor Beam to get another boost and own things like Moltres (again doesn't help much with coverage) and I've even seen AV Metal Burst which can be a nasty surprise if you predict well. I realize I've made Magearna sound pretty broken, which it arguably is, but it's really not a whole lot better than in standard play. Milk Drink is good, but it is mainly only useful on defensive sets which are not walling the whole meta on their own. Opting for Fire coverage on Specs makes it even more vulnerable to Heatran, and giving up Trick makes it lose to Blissey, not to mention that its choice of Fire coverage can be inconsistent (you need to hit multiple Magma Storms to beat down defensive Magearna which is not happening). The existence of Magmazone can be a nuisance to defensive Magearna as well, even if it faces the same inaccuracy issue (note that Mind Blown can be used instead of Magma Storm which usually OHKOs SpDef Magearna). Adding to all of this is Excadrill being an effective offensive mon, as well as random Spectral Thief and Prankster Topsy-Turvy being able to put a stop to its setup, and it begins to feel possible to check most Magearna sets easily in the course of building a team, even if you have to run your own defensive Magearna to do so. That may be centralizing, but there's nothing wrong with centralization unless it's a "broken checking broken" thing which I'm not sure it is.

Excadrill
Probably one of the best offensive mons you can use that just cleans up very easily. The best set is probably SD, EQ, Diamond Storm, Extreme Speed, but DD (or SD + Rapid Spin) sets can fuck over some of the other set's usual counterplay (revenge killers like Specs Pult or Zamazenta-C for example). Excadrill is also a respectable hazard setter, with tech like Explosion or Endeavor giving it a surprising amount of unpredictability for a suicide lead. As a sweeper, it is resilient to usual anti-sweep tech like Thundurus or Unaware. What's more, Diamond Storm has a lot of utility in that the defense boosts it can provide allow it to beat some things it would not normally be able to. For example, Corviknight can only 3HKO with Body Press if Excadrill gets a defense boost, which is why many Corviknight opt to run Cotton Guard to beat it more consistently. Generally, if you pack fat Lando-T, you won't have a whole lot of troubles with Excadrill, but I feel like this thing's list of counters is otherwise jarringly small. I forgot to mention, this thing is a great Sticky Web abuser, too, dispensing with the need for speed that DD or Rapid Spin provide.

EDIT: It's also good on sand of course, forgot to mention, although it's perfectly workable without sand since it doesn't need the speed boost as much.

Stored Power Abuse
The addition of Cotton Guard, Cosmic Power, No Retreat and Clangorous Soul to various mons' movepools allow for some very annoying, and potentially unexpected, setup sweepers. Magearna is here too despite not gaining any of those moves; its Stored Power sets are still very good. These things can be very annoying late game when you don't have the juice to break through them anymore. If it wasn't for Spectral Thief being such a splashable move, these would feel more oppressive, but you also need to consider that Spectral Thief only has half the PP that Calm Mind does, meaning often times your Spectral Thief user can be outlasted. Topsy Turvy is useful for preventing these (except Xatu) from getting out of hand, but that can sometimes feel like a stopgap method, especially if your Topsy Turvy user is pressured to handle multiple mons in a match. Lastly, random Haze users (usually Blissey) can put a stop to this, but that's not the sort of thing that fits on every team. IMO, this is the most disrupting form of "random setup moves" you can encounter in this meta.

Sticky Web
Sticky Web teams are pretty effective, largely because there's a lot more viable Sticky Web setters. Being spashable on so many defensive mons like Slowbro, Swampert, or any Silvally lets your webs setter stick around for a lot of the game. Sticky Web also finds itself on more suicide leads like Accelgor or Sceptile; the fact that they also get other hazards makes them much more viable. And there's some real hard hitters that appreciate the webs, like Excadrill who I've already mentioned, but also boosting sweepers like Bisharp, Mamoswine, and Nidoking which can decimate slower teams. This meta doesn't feel super starved for hazard control as it is, so I don't presently feel Sticky Web is too annoying, but we should keep our eyes out.

That's it. I don't really feel like anything else listed in the Watchlist in the OP is too problematic personally (yes even Scolipede), but I'd like to hear what others think. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Lol it's absurde.. Topsy-turvy also counter blaziken or scolipede and you ban then.. No logic on your bans there are easier to kill and counter and no Recover moove

LatiasDigs

formerly digitalson
In addition to what digitalson said, you can also just use Taunt or Haze.

Also stuff like this:
252 SpA Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 320-378 (87.9 - 103.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

252+ SpA Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Magearna in Sun: 384-452 (105.4 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Bisharp Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 496-584 (136.2 - 160.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I could give plenty of other calcs, but I think the point is being made.

I'm not saying Magearna isn't good - she absolutely is - but she's by no means broken.
to be fair those sets are only used because they have access to moves that are currently on the watchlist, the first 2 dont even account for if magearna is already set up

bp scrub

rub a dub dub one scrub in a tub
Lol it's absurde.. Topsy-turvy also counter blaziken or scolipede and you ban then.. No logic on your bans there are easier to kill and counter and no Recover moove
The bulkiest Topsy mons with recovery like Tangrowth, Bulu, and Pex take a shit ton or are straight up ohkoed from +2 Scoli/Blaze.
Thundy and Torn obviously can't switch into even unboosted moves so they clearly don't counter it and even a -2 hit from Scoli/Blaze deals up to 60% with Life Orb and after they get topsied they can just switch out without Thundy/Torn even getting a chance to hit them lol

Eldegoss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpA / 56 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Giga Drain
- Eruption
- Eerie Spell / Earth Power / Glaciate

I've found this to be a really good utility mon. Great special bulk boosted by assault vest, keeps itself healthy with Regenerator which also keeps Eruption at usable BP and provides Rapid Spin utility. It's doesn't hit super hard with only 80 base spattk, but it's enough vs the threats you answer to and to bop with super effective coverage. The last slot is a tossup based on what you want help with - Eerie Spell is handy considering most mons are using very low PP moves in this meta and also helps wear down recovery moves, Earth Power helps vs Heatran and Magearna switches and Glaciate punishes Dragonite switches and helps temper set up threats.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
I've been having a lot of fun with this set:

Bisharp @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Behemoth Bash

Mainly use it on webs and if you read the switch, it's essentially game over from there.

Dragon Darts has 100% accuracy like Dragon Hammer, but has 10 more BP, so there's no reason to run Dragon Hammer really.

:swsh/barraskewda:

Barraskewer (Barraskewda) @ King's Rock
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Beat Up
- Liquidation
- Bolt Strike
- Flip Turn

Here, have a Barraskewer!
the difference is that hitting two 80% hits is harder to do than hitting one 80% hit. hustle applies to each hit independently i think

Been getting mean messages about my team being crap but I keep winning. I like being a little off meta.

Espeon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eerie Spell
- Eruption
- Calm Mind
- Earth Power

Psychic has more oomf, but Eerie Spell beats stall. Magic Bounce+Eerie Spell takes out the Unaware staller that was lured out by Calm Mind. Eruption is fun but feel free to take energy ball.

Nihilego @ Power Herb
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- No Retreat
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Night Daze

Sweeper. If their counter is still alive, you know that's what they're switching too. Don't commit to No Retreat too soon, this thing is enough of a threat with Sludge Wave and Beast Boost.

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Nuzzle
- Super Fang
- Shadow Sneak

Big move pools are actually small move pools. This thing forces switches and now has the tools to punish them: Nuzzle from Ninjask is a nice debuff, Super Fang is solid damage on whoever has something to take him down. Spectral Thief is a great STAB pickup and combines with focus sash to save you from a set up. Shadow Sneak probably has replacement but also can be clutch.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Court Change
- Body Press
- Cotton Guard
- Roost

You didn't think Espeon was the only one keeping Shedninja safe from Hazards did you? Court Change is enough to make some people forfeit and CS+BP is another sweeper.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Strength Sap
- Spectral Thief
- Super Fang
- Earthquake

Generally good at covering for Shedninja. Does surprisingly well with Spectral Thief/Earthquake, but he's more of a glue guy than a threat.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Sacred Fire
- Storm Throw
- Outrage

Swings hard and has options for rewarding a great prediction.

:ss/frosmoth:
Frosmoth @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Scales
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Freeze-Dry
- Scorching Sands
- Strength Sap

Frosmoth is fun. Doesn't normally learn Freeze-dry but here we are. Freeze-dry+Scorching Sands is essentially perfect coverage on everything but like Bronzong. Ice Scales facilitates setup. You've gotta be careful since everything has fire coverage in this meta, but after a QD you can live some special Fire moves. Last slot can also be Shore Up for reliability or Fire Blast, but you honestly don't need Fire coverage on this.

this is a Funny Metagame it brings me Fun

Sharpedo @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Stealth Rock / Spikes / Sticky Web
- Sticky Web / Stealth Rock / Spikes

Fun suicide lead, most Spectral Thief leads end up getting outsped the following turn and you can just click Destiny Bond if they get too close to beating you. Gives most Prankster leads a big middle finger since it's a Dark-type.

Dracozolt @ Dragon Fang / Expert Belt / Eject Pack / ???
Ability: Volt Absorb / Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bolt Beak
- Dragon Darts
- Diamond Storm/Earthquake/???

Really good cleaner, after 2 DDs few things outspeed it. Bolt Beak is Bolt Beak and Dragon Darts is Dragon Darts. You could use Eject Pack if you don't want to lose momentum after you get hit by Topsy-Turvy, but random Def/SpD drops can mess it up. I don't like Hustle, and after a DD you'll be OHKOing everything anyway, so Volt Absorb is great for the extra utility.

Exploud @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe (you can run a better spread probably)
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Explosion
- Earthquake / Waterfall / Low Kick / Wood Hammer
- who cares at this point

What if Swellow had coverage, Quick Attack 2 and slightly better Attack but no Speed?

Been getting mean messages about my team being crap but I keep winning. I like being a little off meta.

Espeon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Eerie Spell
- Eruption
- Calm Mind
- Earth Power

Psychic has more oomf, but Eerie Spell beats stall. Magic Bounce+Eerie Spell takes out the Unaware staller that was lured out by Calm Mind. Eruption is fun but feel free to take energy ball.

Nihilego @ Power Herb
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- No Retreat
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Night Daze

Sweeper. If their counter is still alive, you know that's what they're switching too. Don't commit to No Retreat too soon, this thing is enough of a threat with Sludge Wave and Beast Boost.

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Nuzzle
- Super Fang
- Shadow Sneak

Big move pools are actually small move pools. This thing forces switches and now has the tools to punish them: Nuzzle from Ninjask is a nice debuff, Super Fang is solid damage on whoever has something to take him down. Spectral Thief is a great STAB pickup and combines with focus sash to save you from a set up. Shadow Sneak probably has replacement but also can be clutch.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Court Change
- Body Press
- Cotton Guard
- Roost

You didn't think Espeon was the only one keeping Shedninja safe from Hazards did you? Court Change is enough to make some people forfeit and CS+BP is another sweeper.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Strength Sap
- Spectral Thief
- Super Fang
- Earthquake

Generally good at covering for Shedninja. Does surprisingly well with Spectral Thief/Earthquake, but he's more of a glue guy than a threat.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Sacred Fire
- Storm Throw
- Outrage

Swings hard and has options for rewarding a great prediction.
I tried this out and tweaked a few things to my PERSONAL liking. I won't tell you my edits are better, since we might play differently, but something I'd like bringing to your attention is that Shedinja should be running Nature's Madness from Nincada instead of Super Fang. The big differences between them are that nothing is immune to fairy AND Nature's Madness isn't a contact move.

Edit: Shedinja shoulds always be minimum defense to maximize damage done to Dittos.

Last edited:
alaserdolphin I see your Quiver Quag and raise you a Power Trip Pyukumuku!

:swsh/pyukumuku:

Purgatory (Pyukumuku) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Power Trip

Pyukumuku's are usually seen as passive, non threatening pokemon that just sit there.

BUT NOT TODAY!

Now you can unleash Purgatory on your opponents and watch them face the Ragnarok that is Pyukumuku!

Jokes aside, I don't think this set really needs much explaining, but it can sweep quite nicely thanks to Unaware.
You CAN use Psycho Shift and recover over RestTalk, but in testing i usually got sat on by steel types, or a mon that had a status condition.
This set doesn't like Koko or Fini's terrain as they both prevent sleep, but Koko wrecks him regardless.

Ok no one is gonna talk about the goat the sableye
Sableye has got some fantastic new toys the dual hazards and self destruct to keep up them up + prankster taunt to keep away opponents from using them.
Toxtricity is also a fantastic Pokemon in this meta with shift Gear trop kick for water ground types thunder punch as basic stab and technician boosted triple Axel .
The humanoid ultra beast was also blessed with new fantastic moves like boom burst blue flare and more importantly bug Buzz for those dark types.

LatiasDigs

formerly digitalson
I'm gonna be honest, bdrum users are kind of insane in this mode, between barraskewda, bisharp, and even eiscue (a natural bdrum user) being pretty hard to deal with, with barraskewda having blistering speed, bisharp having strong priority as well as being immune to prankster topsy turvy, and eiscue having easier setup and espeed, with those said i think belly drum is one of the more threatening things in this tier

Bbrump is a strong moove but only one is immune to Topsy turvy.
Also with a little predict you also can use spectral thief the turn where the opponent use bdrum. I already deal a lot of this user's with my swamper (full HP full def) spectral thief.. They can't touch me without set up so...
To finish with my post I don't see a lot of ditto in this meta but you can copy a Mon already set up and finish it.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
Rock Rocks (Silvally-Rock) @ Rock Memory
Ability: RKS System
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Thousand Waves
- Parting Shot
- Stealth Rock

EdgeQuake coverage is good, so the last two slots can be whatever. I made this an offensive rocker/pivot, but you can do whatever. SD is probably good too.

Rock one is not allowed, have to replace thousand waves with stomping tantrum looks like (still decent enough, tbh.) Could also go the route of making it Silvally-Ground and using stone edge/multi-attack

Ground also has some other advantages: more obvious it has ground moves , and also having more power behind them, but the biggest one is that it gives a ground type to the team, which is useful to avoid getting stomped by electrics

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
(Apologies for the double post- just thought of something)

Screens feel like they should be super good, with all the new mons getting No Retreat or Nasty Plot or hell, clangorous soul etc etc... the list goes on.

HO in general feels like it should be good.

Teleport being more widely distributed means that cores like BlissPex are gonna be better

BlissBro is even better now with spikes on bro.

Rock one is not allowed, have to replace thousand waves with stomping tantrum looks like (still decent enough, tbh.) Could also go the route of making it Silvally-Ground and using stone edge/multi-attack

Ground also has some other advantages: more obvious it has ground moves , and also having more power behind them, but the biggest one is that it gives a ground type to the team, which is useful to avoid getting stomped by electrics
All Silvally types are supposed to have access to T moves. I've asked about this almost 2 weeks ago and it's just not implemented (I think).
Can we get some confirmation?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)