Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crisis: yes, baton pass carries over perish count, which makes it a counter to baton passing.

Link-san: Pikachu is base 90 speed, so a boosting nature makes an inportant difference.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
what are some good physical sweepers for a rain dance team
Toxicroak, due to its Dry Skin ability, and one of the few non-Water types to benefit from the rain (as well as resistance to SR and absorbing Toxic Spikes, its typing is excellent against residual damage). Kabutops is another popular choice with Swift Swim and already semi-decent base 80 speed. Qwilfish is also good, due to it learning Explosion and for the surprise factor, and even perhaps Floatzel.

Does cloning with an action replay mean that a pokemon is considered hacked?

Does a pokemon cloned with an action replay pass the likes of Mr Goodbars hack check?

Now for a more serious simple question.

When are the IVs of an egg locked in? Are they generated upon hatching? Are they generated upon receiving the egg.

I heard that nature gender and ability are locked in the second the daycare man faces the road, but that IVs are locked in at a different time.

Finally why the heck don't gender ability nature and IVs all lock in at the same time? Seems like a stupid decision to me.

Now for a more serious simple question.

When are the IVs of an egg locked in? Are they generated upon hatching? Are they generated upon receiving the egg.

I heard that nature gender and ability are locked in the second the daycare man faces the road, but that IVs are locked in at a different time.

Finally why the heck don't gender ability nature and IVs all lock in at the same time? Seems like a stupid decision to me.
2. Hatching methods

A) Soft reset method

This method is based on the fact that in Emerald, Diamond and Pearl, gender, nature (personality) and ability (trait) are already set (locked) as soon as the egg is created, before you take it. That means that if you save exactly before taking the egg and then soft reset, the Pokémon inside the egg will have the same gender, nature and ability if you load again.

1. Save in front of the Day Care grandpa.
2. Take the egg.
3. Bike on the breeding route.
4. Ignore the next egg proposed to you by the Day Care grandpa.
5. Hatch the egg.
6. Check the newly hatched Pokémn to see whether it does have the desired gender, nature and ability and
a) If it doesn´t have the desired gender/nature/ability, save in front of the Day Care grandpa again (there should be another egg waiting for you, which was produced while you hatched the first one) and repeat the process until you get a suitable baby.
b) If it does have the desired gender/nature/ability, but it doesn´t have the desired IVs, soft reset the game (START+SELECT+A+B) and take the egg again (gender/nature/ability won´t change, only the IVs), hatch and check the IVs, repeat the process until you get the IVs you want.
From the Breeding Guide. The bits in bold seem to answer your question...that is that the IVs are generated upon receiving the egg.

I read that guide, but I didn't read in between the lines apparently.

I wanted to know if IVs were generated upon receiving the egg or upon it hatching. That FAQ implies that they're generated upon receiving the egg because if they were generated upon hatching the SR method would save right before the hatch instead of right before receiving the egg.

They shouldn't. You know how Pokesav gives you the option for first or second "class?" That's really referring to ability 1 or 2 for the pokemon. So if a Magneton bred in R/S/E is "second" class (Sturdy, if I recall correctly), it will remain "second" class upon being transferred to D/P. When evolved, it will keep Sturdy as an ability.

Through Pokesav, you can force a pokemon to have disagreeing "class" and ability. If you change a pokemon's ability without changing what class they are, when they evolve, their ability will reset itself to the correct one.

For pokemon with only one ability, they can still be either first or second class, but both classes correspond with the same ability. So, say, for Machamp, first and second class both have the corresponding ability Guts. However, when you trade a Machoke from R/S/E to D/P and evolve it, if it is second class, the new game uses No Guard as the ability for that slot. So, upon evolving, its ability is reset to No Guard.

Hope that made sense.
No offense, but you're wrong. Pokemon with two abilities in Advance CAN switch abilities upon a DP evolution. I bring up this example every time this argument rears its head, but I had a decent XD Togepi (with Tri Attack) with Serene Grace. I EVd and evolved it in Emerald, and sent it to Pearl. I evolve it, and it gets Hustle. Cue anger. I obviously didn't save afterwards, so I still have it as a Togetic with Serene Grace. If anyone doesn't believe me, I'd be happy to let them borrow it and see for themselves.

A question of my own: What's the deal with the two different descriptions of the Classic Ribbon? It isn't a matter of hacking, as a Manaphy I got from an event had one ribbon description, but later swapped to the other.

I read that guide, but I didn't read in between the lines apparently.

I wanted to know if IVs were generated upon receiving the egg or upon it hatching. That FAQ implies that they're generated upon receiving the egg because if they were generated upon hatching the SR method would save right before the hatch instead of right before receiving the egg.
Yeah I'd look at it the same way you do. I'm sure someone that knows the technical details will answer your question when they see it though just to clear it up!

If you set up safeguard, does it have to be Baton Passed to another pokemon, or can you just switch out and have the effects remain?

Anyone have any tips on planning a Wi-Fi tournament, especially one for a non-standard metagame? I'm trying to plan a doubles tournament--probably not for this site--but I don't know exactly how to go about it.

My biggest concern is that there will be people who won't join due to not having a team. How should I deal with this? Should I give an extended period between sign-ups and battling--like, say, two weeks--so people could build and train teams? If that's the case, what should I do about people who wouldn't show? Should I try to enlist the help of hackers to help me create teams for people who request them? Also, what kind of prize should I offer if I don't have anything, well, worthwhile (Events, non-hacked Shinies, etc)? Should I make some "event" pokemon for the tournament?

Ive been using the pixie/heatran code and the gira/cress rebattle codes. When battling for heatran/crss/gira they are never there but the events still go. Like i see buck and have to go back to stark mountain, etc. How do i make them work?

When a shiny Ditto transforms, does it turn into a shiny version of whatever it copies? This just occurred to me. O_o

Did spore not work on grass types last gen? Last I remember, my smeargle's spore on netbattle didn't work on grass types, but on shoddy brelooms spore my roselia left and right. Is it like that in game? (I don't have any pokes with spore).

How do you make a succesful team? If some one could just point me to the right direction I'd be very thankful. I tried to use a new team on Shoddy and preceded to drop about 20 spots...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)