SPOILERS! Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Data Dumps

How does trophy garden work? Apparently it's the only place in BDSP to get an Eevee (which is annoying) but I haven't even found a single one of the trophy garden mons available yesterday or today. Just Roselias, Staravias, and Kricketunes

But Pursuit is ALSO a cut move! Ahhh!!!
Ah that was a mistake on my part, Skitty has Payback, not pursuit. Saw one "P___" move and thought the other.

How does trophy garden work? Apparently it's the only place in BDSP to get an Eevee (which is annoying) but I haven't even found a single one of the trophy garden mons available yesterday or today. Just Roselias, Staravias, and Kricketunes
Speak with Mr Backlot and he'll add a pokemon to the pool for that day and the day after.
They're not super common when they're in there, so it's just luck of the draw. But they're in there.

Ah that was a mistake on my part, Skitty has Payback, not pursuit. Saw one "P___" move and thought the other.

Speak with Mr Backlot and he'll add a pokemon to the pool for that day and the day after.
They're not super common when they're in there, so it's just luck of the draw. But they're in there.
Also, it will take a few days until Eevee gets added to the pool. In BDSP, the special pokémon are in a cycle based on nat dex order, unlike DPPt randomly selecting one of the pokémon each day. So Clefairy is always followed by Jigglypuff, and Jigglypuff is followed by Meowth etc.

I completely forgot, are there any moves that are in SwSh but are not in BDSP? I remember there was a heavy implication that the game will be like Lets Go when Pokemon HOME gets updated and you cannot transfer Pokemon into the game. That would basically confirm it. I honestly wouldn't mind it if for nothing else its to not see some Pokemon with disgusting movepools.

I completely forgot, are there any moves that are in SwSh but are not in BDSP? I remember there was a heavy implication that the game will be like Lets Go when Pokemon HOME gets updated and you cannot transfer Pokemon into the game. That would basically confirm it. I honestly wouldn't mind it if for nothing else its to not see some Pokemon with disgusting movepools.
I believe there's a number of them, if they're not in the learnset (level up, egg, TM) in BDSP the move isn't in the game.

But we also know they want to add a certificate for if you bring a Pokemon from the old games into this one, and I can't see them allow those but not allow those from SWSH (or BDSP itself, that goes to SWSH, then back). So they're going to need to do something, even if that something is "if the move doesnt exist in BDSP, we will specifically disable it in the game" in an update along side Home

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Here's a list from Reddit I found.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
1638603312219.png

It all makes sense now. Once I saw this one snippet of text my man Yoshiblaze shared on Discord, everything clicked for me.

I truly believe that at some point in time, Game Freak lost the source code for Platinum and because of that ILCA was forced to make do with DP as their base. Heck, I'll take it a step beyond that: considering the bugginess at launch I wouldn't be surprised to find out they didn't even have a complete DP build backed up and had to use the most recent beta they had on hand, i.e. Silent Hill HD Collection.

Once you think in these terms, suddenly everything about these games slides neatly into place. The aforementioned and widely documented glitchiness, the slavish DP adherence for the main campaign, the inconsistencies with Game Freak's outlook on Platinum's additions, and so on.

If my hypothesis is correct (especially if it's the more dire "they didn't even have a finished DP build" version), I am even more respectful towards ILCA for doing a genuinely pretty solid job with such a horrendous start that would've gutted many other companies attempting something similar.

Anyway yeah I definitely see it more like
Gamfreak wants to remake DP. They decide to outsource it because they have Legends in the wings and can't split for an entire game. They hire ILCA to do this; ILCA staffs up for the game with further contractors. Gamefreak, wanting to do a DP remake, provides them DP source code as a base to help accommodate them (unfamiliarity, not wanting a third party to go ham on their game, tight schedule, pandemic development, some mix ....there's lots of options here), Gen 7 & 8 learnsets, various other art assets, SWSH battle engine stuff etc etc as well as what I presume are a list of things they can/can't do and also one Masuda to help direct & oversee the project.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were also given Platinum code too, for the record; I can easily see the Gracedia NPC & Rotom room just grabbing directly from there rather than being recreated based on like, the final game and reverse engineering or whatever.

1.0 was probably super buggy not because they were working off ~beta-level source code~ but because even with the source code they'd still have to do a lot of implementation work to get it working on their new engine and making a bunch of edits to the game to accommodate things like camera work, cutscenes, lighting, new events, the various new stuff, etc. Even a 'copy/paste job' is still going to cause new issues that need to be ironed out.

So, I was just catching Gible. Ran from a battle, got an encounter on the same space as soon as I tried to move my bike. I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be impossible, that there's a minimum step count post-battle before you can have an encounter again. Was that not the case in either Gen IV or VIII?
one time that happened to me 3 times in a row
i think it also happened to me when i was just running around

it was a trying time

You can encounter another wild Pokemon as soon as you take another step in the original gen IV. It's just pretty rare.

I think it's supposed to be the same here but what counts as a step is kind of weird in this game, especially when on bike, so it can appear like you didn't really move when the game counts you as taking a step. If they used gen IV's encounter logic but changed things to allow free movement then I can see why it's kind of janky like that.

You can encounter another wild Pokemon as soon as you take another step in the original gen IV. It's just pretty rare.

I think it's supposed to be the same here but what counts as a step is kind of weird in this game, especially when on bike, so it can appear like you didn't really move when the game counts you as taking a step. If they used gen IV's encounter logic but changed things to allow free movement then I can see why it's kind of janky like that.
Yeah, I couldn't find anything specific about which gens block encounters after battles and which don't, but I knew for sure it's a thing in some of them, so I figured I'd add the info here.

I also had the fun time of jumping over a ledge about 4 times because moving on a grid was placing me wrong to walk along it. I ended up having to center myself using a wall in order to finally get through. I also couldn't pick up an item once because the game was thinking I wasn't next to it when I clearly was, I had to walk away and reset my position. They should have either gone back to the grid or spent a LOT more time getting the movement code working.

So, I was just catching Gible. Ran from a battle, got an encounter on the same space as soon as I tried to move my bike. I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be impossible, that there's a minimum step count post-battle before you can have an encounter again. Was that not the case in either Gen IV or VIII?
I know Werster's original run definitely had an encounter after 1 step at some point.

View attachment 389462
It all makes sense now. Once I saw this one snippet of text my man Yoshiblaze shared on Discord, everything clicked for me.

I truly believe that at some point in time, Game Freak lost the source code for Platinum and because of that ILCA was forced to make do with DP as their base. Heck, I'll take it a step beyond that: considering the bugginess at launch I wouldn't be surprised to find out they didn't even have a complete DP build backed up and had to use the most recent beta they had on hand, i.e. Silent Hill HD Collection.

Once you think in these terms, suddenly everything about these games slides neatly into place. The aforementioned and widely documented glitchiness, the slavish DP adherence for the main campaign, the inconsistencies with Game Freak's outlook on Platinum's additions, and so on.

If my hypothesis is correct (especially if it's the more dire "they didn't even have a finished DP build" version), I am even more respectful towards ILCA for doing a genuinely pretty solid job with such a horrendous start that would've gutted many other companies attempting something similar.
Counterexample: In v1.1.1 at least, Darkrai does not appear without the Member Card, but Shaymin does appear without Oak's Letter. It also looks exactly like ILCA chose to copy Platinum's Darkrai event scripts and DP's Shaymin event scripts for whatever reason (Darkrai is level 50 and you hear a voice after the battle; Marley does not show up during the Shaymin event). This would not have been possible without Platinum's source code (it's impossible for me to believe that ILCA deliberately went "oh let's look up and reverse-engineer Plat Darkrai's event lockout behavior but let's not do the same for Shaymin because DP"). Copy-pasting code is far more likely.

This is actually completely possible in vanilla dpp, but man, is it so much more viable in an environment where Pokémon Home exists. Playing with a grand underground totally unbound from the Sinnoh dex makes for some wildly different in game playthroughs. Getting to play through with janky mixed up teams like Cacturne, Cloyster, and Typhlosion all at once seems really neat. This is a real nice chunk of replay value I hope they don’t end up changing for some reason before Home compatibility arrives.

This is actually completely possible in vanilla dpp, but man, is it so much more viable in an environment where Pokémon Home exists. Playing with a grand underground totally unbound from the Sinnoh dex makes for some wildly different in game playthroughs. Getting to play through with janky mixed up teams like Cacturne, Cloyster, and Typhlosion all at once seems really neat. This is a real nice chunk of replay value I hope they don’t end up changing for some reason before Home compatibility arrives.
I mean, it's nice that it's possible... but... are you really going to go through the effort of manually transfering and then moving back 200 Pokemon on every NG just for the potential to have a couple weird pokes in your team?

I mean, it's nice that it's possible... but... are you really going to go through the effort of manually transfering and then moving back 200 Pokemon on every NG just for the potential to have a couple weird pokes in your team?
150, but either way I've definitely done that a ton of times on extra files to get the shiny charm early. It takes a few minutes since you're just drag-selecting 5 boxes and opens up a bunch of great options, I can see why people would go for it

Requires a paid Home subscription though.
It actually doesn't if you're willing to invest a bit of extra time in moving to and from Sword and Shield 30 pokes at time.
Only scenario where it wouldn't be possible would be if there were more than 30 pokemon in BDSP that wouldnt be available in SwSh / Let's Go / Arceus / gen 9 / whatever other compatible game there is around.

...Still looks like a complete waste of time to me, but hey, to each their own

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)