SPOILERS! Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Data Dumps

I don't think I've seen a general summary of how the movepools are constructed, besides a few tidbits here and there, so I would like to ask about any general patterns that were found. My understanding is that the egg moves are completely copied from Gen 7 for all Pokemon, including those that were in Sword and Shield, but the rest of the learnsets (levelup and TMs) were copy-pasted from Sword and Shield where applicable, with moves that were TM-only in Sword/Shield but not TMs in BDSP just unavailable to the respective Pokemon. Is this understanding correct, and if so, are there any notable exceptions to the rule?
That seems to be the general principle. As a consequence, moves like Psychic Terrain and Pollen Puff are entirely cut from the game because nothing learns them under this philosophy. One oddity we discovered earlier in the thread was Nidoking picking up Sludge Wave by level-up, which is good news for the LO Sheer Force archetype but downright bizarre in light of so many other Pokémon losing historically important moves (e.g. Altaria's Dragon Dance). You may also be aware that Toxic returns as a TM but sees greatly restricted distribution compared to any prior game where it appeared, which we can only assume is a conscious decision. Someone behind the scenes selectively tinkered with these things at their personal discretion, and I doubt we'll learn the full rationale unless that person(s) is identified and interviewed.

Last edited:
That seems to be the general principle. As a consequence, moves like Psychic Terrain and Pollen Puff are entirely cut from the game because nothing learns them under this philosophy. One oddity we discovered earlier in the thread was Nidoking picking up Sludge Wave by level-up, which is good news for the LO Sheer Force archetype but downright bizarre in light of so many other Pokémon losing historically important moves (e.g. Altaria's Dragon Dance). You may also be aware that Toxic returns as a TM but sees greatly restricted distribution compared to any prior game where it appeared, which we can only assume is a conscious decision. Someone behind the scenes selectively tinkered with these things at their personal discretion, and I doubt we'll learn the full rationale unless that person is identified and interviewed.
I would guess it wasn't any one specific person as it was a team and during that they happened to noticed this and that and made a tweak to a few.

But I also assume they didn't have a lot of time or experience in general, so you get significantly more things like not reimplementing the moves Pokemon lost because of TM/TR in SWSH or making up for a lost move.

Do we know how the statues in the Underground actually work?

As in, are the big ones different in any way? Do they stack? Are secondary typings counted?

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Dropping by to post that a cloning glitch has been discovered

Wow... that's really easy. (I think. Can someone translate the instructions or link an English guide?)

As much as I hate to say it, the glitches that lets you get to Shaymin and Darkrai and clone them is making this game more tempting... I want to say, "If Affection is from having Pokemon in the lead and they patch it so Affection is only gained if they're following you..." then I remember those glitches will be fixed by the time a version with the fix I want (if it's even a glitch and they think it's worth fixing) happens. I'd probably get a used V1.1 Brilliant Diamond cartridge if that happens because Affection is the only reason I'm not getting this game. I give into Pokemon way too easily...

Edit: I think my drinks were been spiked with copium... I really need to accept that this game isn't for me and never will me.

Edit 2: You can get soft locked in the Ice Gym and be forced to delete your save. -_- I'm never getting this game.

Last edited:
Wow... that's really easy. (I think. Can someone translate the instructions or link an English guide?)

As much as I hate to say it, the glitches that lets you get to Shaymin and Darkrai and clone them is making this game more tempting... I want to say, "If Affection is from having Pokemon in the lead and they patch it so Affection is only gained if they're following you..." then I remember those glitches will be fixed by the time a version with the fix I want (if it's even a glitch and they think it's worth fixing) happens. I'd probably get a used V1.1 Brilliant Diamond cartridge if that happens because Affection is the only reason I'm not getting this game. I give into Pokemon way too easily...
Every cart out right now is 1.0
I guarantee that by the time they put out a new updated cart, it will likely be 1.2

Also it is almost certainly not just the lead Pokemon and I guarantee it is not seen as a glitch.

Obscure question: How much local (Switch-to-Switch) communication is supported in v1.0.0?

The official patch notes seem to be inaccurate, because they say that v1.1.0 adds both local and online communication to the Union Room, Underground, and Super Contests. But we know local trading (which requires the Union Room, right?) was possible even during v1.0.0, because this was shown off in the first leaks before 1.1.0's release date.

Online is obvious, but did 1.0.0 support local Union Room battling? Local Underground? Local Super Contests?

Also, how did players with leaks even get 1.1.0 on November 11? Wouldn't that force communication with Nintendo's servers and cause an automatic ban? (If it's being distributed to reviewers, surely they have a way to individually track reviewer copies?)

Also, how did players with leaks even get 1.1.0 on November 11? Wouldn't that force communication with Nintendo's servers and cause an automatic ban? (If it's being distributed to reviewers, surely they have a way to individually track reviewer copies?)
People are able to download the patch separately off the server and just apply it to the game without actually going online.
This has been a solved thing since the wii u era

People are able to download the patch separately off the server and just apply it to the game without actually going online.
This has been a solved thing since the wii u era
I thought Nintendo's servers would've behaved something like this:

Client: "Hi I'm requesting a download of the BDSP v1.1.0 patch"
Server: "Give me both your unique Switch ID and your unique cart ID/unique digital download ID first"
Client: "Here they are"
Server: "This game ID doesn't match a reviewer copy's ID; your Switch ID is now banned"

I thought Nintendo's servers would've behaved something like this:

Client: "Hi I'm requesting a download of the BDSP v1.1.0 patch"
Server: "Give me both your unique Switch ID and your unique cart ID/unique digital download ID first"
Client: "Here they are"
Server: "This game ID doesn't match a reviewer copy's ID; your Switch ID is now banned"
They're probably not running "is this a reviewer copy??" checks because they need it to apply to any copy of the game (or any game, really) at any time, especially including the preloads. Likely patch checks are just on an entirely different thing than "hey wait a minute this is onlien when it shouldnt be!!!" checks...I think that applies to other systems too?

Anyway all that aside people are literally able to download the file off the eshop servers and apply it to their game without needing to even communicate with the server.

I guess you could probably track down one of the usual dataminers and ask them about express details of how this all works on their end.

Here's a silly thing: you know those set ups where 1 trainer is static but a trainer across from them shifts between also looking at them (so you can get a double battle) or looking away (so you can fight them separately)?
In this game it's not an either or thing, they literally turn meaning you can (and in m ycase has happened THREE TIMES) activate a battle a frame early and only fight one because the other is looking at a diagonal
Then you IMMEDIATELY get into a fight with the other when the battle is over, because you dont have enough frames to move anywhere out of their range before they finish the rotation to you

Now, you might tell me "rn you gotta let feint attack go" and to that i say "lol, lmao"

I was very tempted to PP stall Delcatty to see if I could crash the game, since this is the only NPC in gen 8 that acts like this, but provided the move is marked as "can't be used" the game will ignore it & its PP for struggle checks.

Yes I did raise a ditto up to level 57 so it had enough HP to get a transform off, why do you ask

Do we know WHY they removed Feint Attack? Most of the Swift clones stayed, the only ones that got removed are that and Magnet Bomb. Magnet Bomb was basically a useless near signature move*, but Feint Attack has been learned by everything even vaguely clever since Gen II. It seems odd that they'd get rid of that.

*60 BP physical, learned only by 3 families of special attacking steel types

Do we know WHY they removed Feint Attack? Most of the Swift clones stayed, the only ones that got removed are that and Magnet Bomb. Magnet Bomb was basically a useless near signature move*, but Feint Attack has been learned by everything even vaguely clever since Gen II. It seems odd that they'd get rid of that.

*60 BP physical, learned only by 3 families of special attacking steel types
We can only guess. Honestly with SWSH I can just see most of the moves being "we're not going to be able to bring every move back, these are the remaining moves, we need to figure out what to cut". Some were worthless, some were signature moves they could bring back as needed when the Pokemon they're attached to are brought back and some I think just happened to be lower priority. Feint Attack I'd wager was just in that last group, just a lower priority move that they didn't get to.

As for why it wasn't brought back here, well the only snapped moves brought back were signature moves. Hidden Power being available on transfers just being a bonus feature of this aspect. Maybe gamefreak just didn't want to commit to bringing it, or any other move back?

And as for why it's on this Delcatty's moveset, I bet it was something akin to....they brought forward the gen 7 learn sets and worked with those. Gave this ace trainer Play Rough, Double Edge, Attract and Feint Attack. Then later on (or perhaps at the same time, parallel development and all that) when they finally removed the various snapped moves and replaced them with some nearest neighbor they forgot about this Delcatty and to replace it with Payback (which is what they did in the actual level up moveset).

Last edited:
As for why it wasn't brought back here, well the only snapped moves brought back were signature moves. Hidden Power being available on transfers just being a bonus feature of this aspect. Maybe gamefreak just didn't want to commit to bringing it, or any other move back?
Part of me wonders if they might do something similar to Dark Void, Hyperspace Fury, or something similar to Eiscue's ability and make it fail if it's not used by the Pokemon it's exclusive to. Considering it was never an exclusive move until now, compared to the former moves, I doubt it, but I'm still interested nonetheless.

Part of me wonders if they might do something similar to Dark Void, Hyperspace Fury, or something similar to Eiscue's ability and make it fail if it's not used by the Pokemon it's exclusive to. Considering it was never an exclusive move until now, compared to the former moves, I doubt it, but I'm still interested nonetheless.
At present Smeargle can sketch it and you can hack it onto other Pokemon and it works fine, so they'd need to specifically update the move to have that property by the time Home hits.

And as for why it's on this Delcatty's moveset, I bet it was something akin to....they brought forward the gen 7 learn sets and worked with those. Gave this ace trainer Play Rough, Double Edge, Attract and Feint Attack. Then later on (or perhaps at the same time, parallel development and all that) when they finally removed the various snapped moves and replaced them with some nearest neighbor they forgot about this Delcatty and to replace it with Pursuit (which is what they did in the actual level up moveset).
But Pursuit is ALSO a cut move! Ahhh!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)