SPOILERS! Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Data Dumps

Now, you might tell me "rn you gotta let feint attack go" and to that i say "lol, lmao"

I was very tempted to PP stall Delcatty to see if I could crash the game, since this is the only NPC in gen 8 that acts like this, but provided the move is marked as "can't be used" the game will ignore it & its PP for struggle checks.

Yes I did raise a ditto up to level 57 so it had enough HP to get a transform off, why do you ask

Do we know WHY they removed Feint Attack? Most of the Swift clones stayed, the only ones that got removed are that and Magnet Bomb. Magnet Bomb was basically a useless near signature move*, but Feint Attack has been learned by everything even vaguely clever since Gen II. It seems odd that they'd get rid of that.

*60 BP physical, learned only by 3 families of special attacking steel types

Do we know WHY they removed Feint Attack? Most of the Swift clones stayed, the only ones that got removed are that and Magnet Bomb. Magnet Bomb was basically a useless near signature move*, but Feint Attack has been learned by everything even vaguely clever since Gen II. It seems odd that they'd get rid of that.

*60 BP physical, learned only by 3 families of special attacking steel types
We can only guess. Honestly with SWSH I can just see most of the moves being "we're not going to be able to bring every move back, these are the remaining moves, we need to figure out what to cut". Some were worthless, some were signature moves they could bring back as needed when the Pokemon they're attached to are brought back and some I think just happened to be lower priority. Feint Attack I'd wager was just in that last group, just a lower priority move that they didn't get to.

As for why it wasn't brought back here, well the only snapped moves brought back were signature moves. Hidden Power being available on transfers just being a bonus feature of this aspect. Maybe gamefreak just didn't want to commit to bringing it, or any other move back?

And as for why it's on this Delcatty's moveset, I bet it was something akin to....they brought forward the gen 7 learn sets and worked with those. Gave this ace trainer Play Rough, Double Edge, Attract and Feint Attack. Then later on (or perhaps at the same time, parallel development and all that) when they finally removed the various snapped moves and replaced them with some nearest neighbor they forgot about this Delcatty and to replace it with Payback (which is what they did in the actual level up moveset).

Last edited:
As for why it wasn't brought back here, well the only snapped moves brought back were signature moves. Hidden Power being available on transfers just being a bonus feature of this aspect. Maybe gamefreak just didn't want to commit to bringing it, or any other move back?
Part of me wonders if they might do something similar to Dark Void, Hyperspace Fury, or something similar to Eiscue's ability and make it fail if it's not used by the Pokemon it's exclusive to. Considering it was never an exclusive move until now, compared to the former moves, I doubt it, but I'm still interested nonetheless.

Part of me wonders if they might do something similar to Dark Void, Hyperspace Fury, or something similar to Eiscue's ability and make it fail if it's not used by the Pokemon it's exclusive to. Considering it was never an exclusive move until now, compared to the former moves, I doubt it, but I'm still interested nonetheless.
At present Smeargle can sketch it and you can hack it onto other Pokemon and it works fine, so they'd need to specifically update the move to have that property by the time Home hits.

And as for why it's on this Delcatty's moveset, I bet it was something akin to....they brought forward the gen 7 learn sets and worked with those. Gave this ace trainer Play Rough, Double Edge, Attract and Feint Attack. Then later on (or perhaps at the same time, parallel development and all that) when they finally removed the various snapped moves and replaced them with some nearest neighbor they forgot about this Delcatty and to replace it with Pursuit (which is what they did in the actual level up moveset).
But Pursuit is ALSO a cut move! Ahhh!!!

How does trophy garden work? Apparently it's the only place in BDSP to get an Eevee (which is annoying) but I haven't even found a single one of the trophy garden mons available yesterday or today. Just Roselias, Staravias, and Kricketunes

But Pursuit is ALSO a cut move! Ahhh!!!
Ah that was a mistake on my part, Skitty has Payback, not pursuit. Saw one "P___" move and thought the other.

How does trophy garden work? Apparently it's the only place in BDSP to get an Eevee (which is annoying) but I haven't even found a single one of the trophy garden mons available yesterday or today. Just Roselias, Staravias, and Kricketunes
Speak with Mr Backlot and he'll add a pokemon to the pool for that day and the day after.
They're not super common when they're in there, so it's just luck of the draw. But they're in there.

Ah that was a mistake on my part, Skitty has Payback, not pursuit. Saw one "P___" move and thought the other.

Speak with Mr Backlot and he'll add a pokemon to the pool for that day and the day after.
They're not super common when they're in there, so it's just luck of the draw. But they're in there.
Also, it will take a few days until Eevee gets added to the pool. In BDSP, the special pokémon are in a cycle based on nat dex order, unlike DPPt randomly selecting one of the pokémon each day. So Clefairy is always followed by Jigglypuff, and Jigglypuff is followed by Meowth etc.

I completely forgot, are there any moves that are in SwSh but are not in BDSP? I remember there was a heavy implication that the game will be like Lets Go when Pokemon HOME gets updated and you cannot transfer Pokemon into the game. That would basically confirm it. I honestly wouldn't mind it if for nothing else its to not see some Pokemon with disgusting movepools.

I completely forgot, are there any moves that are in SwSh but are not in BDSP? I remember there was a heavy implication that the game will be like Lets Go when Pokemon HOME gets updated and you cannot transfer Pokemon into the game. That would basically confirm it. I honestly wouldn't mind it if for nothing else its to not see some Pokemon with disgusting movepools.
I believe there's a number of them, if they're not in the learnset (level up, egg, TM) in BDSP the move isn't in the game.

But we also know they want to add a certificate for if you bring a Pokemon from the old games into this one, and I can't see them allow those but not allow those from SWSH (or BDSP itself, that goes to SWSH, then back). So they're going to need to do something, even if that something is "if the move doesnt exist in BDSP, we will specifically disable it in the game" in an update along side Home

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Here's a list from Reddit I found.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
1638603312219.png

It all makes sense now. Once I saw this one snippet of text my man Yoshiblaze shared on Discord, everything clicked for me.

I truly believe that at some point in time, Game Freak lost the source code for Platinum and because of that ILCA was forced to make do with DP as their base. Heck, I'll take it a step beyond that: considering the bugginess at launch I wouldn't be surprised to find out they didn't even have a complete DP build backed up and had to use the most recent beta they had on hand, i.e. Silent Hill HD Collection.

Once you think in these terms, suddenly everything about these games slides neatly into place. The aforementioned and widely documented glitchiness, the slavish DP adherence for the main campaign, the inconsistencies with Game Freak's outlook on Platinum's additions, and so on.

If my hypothesis is correct (especially if it's the more dire "they didn't even have a finished DP build" version), I am even more respectful towards ILCA for doing a genuinely pretty solid job with such a horrendous start that would've gutted many other companies attempting something similar.

Anyway yeah I definitely see it more like
Gamfreak wants to remake DP. They decide to outsource it because they have Legends in the wings and can't split for an entire game. They hire ILCA to do this; ILCA staffs up for the game with further contractors. Gamefreak, wanting to do a DP remake, provides them DP source code as a base to help accommodate them (unfamiliarity, not wanting a third party to go ham on their game, tight schedule, pandemic development, some mix ....there's lots of options here), Gen 7 & 8 learnsets, various other art assets, SWSH battle engine stuff etc etc as well as what I presume are a list of things they can/can't do and also one Masuda to help direct & oversee the project.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were also given Platinum code too, for the record; I can easily see the Gracedia NPC & Rotom room just grabbing directly from there rather than being recreated based on like, the final game and reverse engineering or whatever.

1.0 was probably super buggy not because they were working off ~beta-level source code~ but because even with the source code they'd still have to do a lot of implementation work to get it working on their new engine and making a bunch of edits to the game to accommodate things like camera work, cutscenes, lighting, new events, the various new stuff, etc. Even a 'copy/paste job' is still going to cause new issues that need to be ironed out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)