Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Yeah, I'm not expecting too much barring the generic stuff. Maybe the region name, a handful of new Pokemon, and a showcase of the game's main gimmick (which from what I hear, will be some item that changes / adds a type to some Pokemon). Don't think we'll get a character showcase yet, though if this game places higher emphasis on its narative (which the leaks suggest) I could see it happening.

Wishlist:
- Eelektross, Gliscor, and Aegislash are shown off in the trailer, indicating they'll be coming back
- New item showcase (I think Sword & Shield did this w/ items like Room Service)
- Ruleset toggle (it was a big complaint in Gen 8 so I'd imagine they'd address it sooner or later)
- Gameplay overview segment (possibly showing some new options the player can do from Legends Arceus)

Reminder that unlike SwSh which had a full-blown Direct for its second announcement, SM had a very bare-bones second announcement that was only 2 minutes long.

SM second announcement:
  • Starters and typings
  • Name of region
  • Release date
  • Designs of box legendaries (unnamed)
  • (Indirectly reveal Trainer customization)
That's it. Nothing about game mechanics, the generation's gimmick, or even new named characters. Imagine a Direct that's only 2 minutes long and set your expectations accordingly.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Reminder that unlike SwSh which had a full-blown Direct for its second announcement, SM had a very bare-bones second announcement that was only 2 minutes long.

SM second announcement:
  • Starters and typings
  • Name of region
  • Release date
  • Designs of box legendaries (unnamed)
  • (Indirectly reveal Trainer customization)
That's it. Nothing about game mechanics, the generation's gimmick, or even new named characters. Imagine a Direct that's only 2 minutes long and set your expectations accordingly.
Yes, but SM's first announcement was just "Hey, this year there will be new games named Sun and Moon. We're planning to put a bird in them. Bye!" (trailer here). The amount of information we already have on SV roughly corresponds to that of the first two announcements for SM.

Last edited:
Yes, but SM's first announcement was just "Hey, this year there will be new games named Sun and Moon. We're planning to put a bird in them. Bye!" (trailer here). The amount of information we already have on SV roughly corresponds to that of the first two announcements for SM.
SM's third announcement was only 1.5 minutes long and contained the following:
  • Box legend names, typings, signature move names, and "new" abilites
  • Prof. Kukui, Lillie as "Kukui's assistant", and Hau as the rival
  • Rotom Pokedex

SM's third announcement was only 1.5 minutes long and contained the following:
  • Box legend names, typings, signature move names, and "new" abilites
  • Prof. Kukui, Lillie as "Kukui's assistant", and Hau as the rival
  • Rotom Pokedex
That is true, but SM was a while ago. Since USUM and more importantly in latest games, GF / TPCI have realized how important it is to give a (moderate) amount of exposure to their games to create hype.

Times have changed :P

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Not getting my hopes up for anything with this game if I'm being perfectly honest. I enjoyed the more traditional RPG style of Legends much more than I thought I would, to the point where I think more conventional Pokémon games are something I've just kind of grown out of. I don't care about "what the new battle gimmicks are" nearly as much as the things that leave more of an impact on the game's quality, like the soundtrack and whatnot. I'll see you guys back here in an hour as we discuss the inevitable disappointment that is a rushed product with miniscule new information actually given. I do apologize for being such a pessimist, I really do. But at the end of the day, Pokémon's repetitive nature of re-using the same ideas every 3.25 years (that's an accumulative average) no longer gets me excited with smaller reveals.

That is true, but SM was a while ago. Since USUM and more importantly in latest games, GF / TPCI have realized how important it is to give a (moderate) amount of exposure to their games to create hype.

Times have changed :P
Although I feel like generally the "moderate exposure" just felt like a drought of information so it would be nice if they like

did better, on that front.

In other news, seems like Masuda is semi-retiring?
i have seen numerous articles about this an no one wants to explain what a "Chief Creative Fellow" even does

Leaning towards violet with that legendary design, though Scarlet's is not bad too. They're looking like they might be the mons partly inspired by Gaudi's le drac statue.

The regular new mons are neat, though nothing as cool as Corviknight so far.

Art style is just ok. I prefered Swsh's shading.

4 player mode sounds interesting.

Edit: with a clearer look at the prof designs from the website, along with the legends, these really are leaning into some sort of past/future theme.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)