Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What are some good pokemon on bulky offense teams? Hydreigon and scizor seem nice to pair with gastro, but I can't figure out the rest. Any suggestions?
Type wise, Gastrodon has incredible synergy with Skarmory, as Gastrodon can easily absorb Electric and Fire-type attacks aimed at Skarmory, while Skarmory quad resists Grass-type attacks aimed at Gastrodon, and can provide support in the form of Spikes. Gastrodon can sometimes struggle with powerful wallbreakers such as Safeguard Volcarona, Specs Kyurem, Hatterene, and Hydreigon. Blissey does very well against all of these mentioned threats, so its certainly another team member to consider. Togekiss also gets a special mention, being able to take on Hydreigon, and does nicely versus Rillaboom, Gastrodon's biggest weakness.

Best of luck! :toast:

Are there any substitute setup or substitute sweepers in the meta(haven't played for years so not sure what to call them) to be weary of? I sack monns on some turns just because I know if a gengar/alakazam/volcarona sets up sub that turn i'd lose. I'm just not familiar with the meta coming back and if these mons run this set so if anyone is informed id love if you could lmk.

Are there any substitute setup or substitute sweepers in the meta(haven't played for years so not sure what to call them) to be weary of? I sack monns on some turns just because I know if a gengar/alakazam/volcarona sets up sub that turn i'd lose. I'm just not familiar with the meta coming back and if these mons run this set so if anyone is informed id love if you could lmk.
Primarina is a good example. It is able to set up Calm Mind behind a Substitute to feel neutral damage to every OU-viable Pokemon except Toxapex. Since then, it has become extremely dangerous, and can crush any unprepared team.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
As previously pointed out, Primarina is a SubCM sweeper, but Dragapult and Kommo-o (though far less common) can both run Substitute + boosting move

:psysly:

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Calm Mind Primarina, mixed Aegislash, Roost Kyurem, Dragon Dance or Hex Dragapult, Gengar, Iron Defense Magnezone, Nasty Plot Togekiss, Hawlucha, Calm Mind Keldeo, Bulk Up Corviknight, Gyarados, and Belly Drum Kommo-o are some Pokemon that you can often expect to run Substitute, though of course you can't exclude other Pokemon running it on some more fringe sets as well.

For suspect testing. If we create a new alt account but fail to meet the requirement and want to start fresh rather than try to grind on the existing account. Should we create another new alt or just hit reset on the existing alt?

If cinderace gets banned, is there any idea of how long it will take once DLC2 drops to re-test it down? It's likely it will be balanced in the new meta, but will we probably first test any new drops that are deemed problematic before testing down stuff that was banned in these 'pre' meta-games? Is it just too early to tell?

Katy

Banned deucer.
If cinderace gets banned, is there any idea of how long it will take once DLC2 drops to re-test it down? It's likely it will be balanced in the new meta, but will we probably first test any new drops that are deemed problematic before testing down stuff that was banned in these 'pre' meta-games? Is it just too early to tell?
hey
it definitely is too early to tell how the metagame will be as soon as the DLC pack 2 will come out, there are many new Pokemon and we have to basically wait and see how OU will turn out when DLC pack 2 is out. Many legendaries will come back, new forms of old legendaries. So it'll be too early to tell now.

hey
it definitely is too early to tell how the metagame will be as soon as the DLC pack 2 will come out, there are many new Pokemon and we have to basically wait and see how OU will turn out when DLC pack 2 is out. Many legendaries will come back, new forms of old legendaries. So it'll be too early to tell now.
Well my question is more about what priorities will be then what the actual meta will look like. But it's probly the same answer ye.

edit: ok thanks, and lemme say i wasn't trying to agitate in asking, i think smogon has done an admirable job maintaining stability dealing with GF's slow, piecemeal release of the game this time around.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
The retest now will have no impact on the timing of a retest then. Beyond that, I cannot speculate, but I can promise you that one does not impact the other and it is too early to tell beyond that.

Well my question is more about what priorities will be then what the actual meta will look like. But it's probly the same answer ye.
I think we can estimate that re-testing Cinder won't be high on the list of things to do post DLC. There's going to be a LOOOOOOOOT of crazy things added post DLC like Aura Sphere / Mystic Fire Lati twins, Tapus with improved movepools, all the ultra beasts, boots Dragonite, Lando, Torn, Blaziken, and Genesect that will all make tiering... interesting to say the least.

What pokemon pair well with rocky helmet Corviknight? I’ve been enjoying using it but I don’t know where to start in terms of building a team around it.

Katy

Banned deucer.
What pokemon pair well with rocky helmet Corviknight? I’ve been enjoying using it but I don’t know where to start in terms of building a team around it.
hello,

first of all Rocky Helmet is a rather weird choice of item, as Corviknight rather enjoys the longevity it gains due to Leftovers, to have the long-term in its hands during the game. I would change Rocky Helmet for Leftovers quite frankly.
There are plenty of good teammates, first of all Corviknight enjoys Zeraora as teammate as it is an electric-immunity, which Corviknight desperately needs, and they can forme a volt-turn core (Zeraora using Volt Switch and Corviknight U-turn) to bring other teammates in safely. Corviknight also enjoys a sturdy fire-resist such as Toxapex, Gastrodon, and Rotom-Heat as they are able to help with fire-attacks.
Furthermore Corviknight likes Rocky Helmet Tangrowth as a partner as it is also able to check opposing Zeraoras pretty well with chipping them down with its item Rocky Helmet, Tangrowth can also check Rhyperior which Corviknight struggles with especially after a +2 due to Swords Dance as its Rock-type STABs are neutral to Corviknight.
Blissey also serves as an excellent check to non-safeguard Volcarona variants, as Corviknights which run Body Press to check Excadrill and Bisharp rather than Brave Bird to dish out damage on Volcarona are prone to Volcarona, therefore Blissey is an excellent partner here.
Crawdaunt is also a great choice as Partner as Corviknight can bring it in safely due to a rather slow U-turn and Crawdaunt has thus the capability to set-up a Swords Dance and dish out adaptability-boosted STAB-attacks like Knock Off and Grabhammers.

Last edited:
If cinderace is banned, there will be another suspect test less than a week after finishing the current? To test what the council thinks that deserve it. If not, why would we wait more time?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
If cinderace is banned, there will be another suspect test less than a week after finishing the current? To test what the council thinks that deserve it. If not, why would we wait more time?
We do not know.

The council is constantly talking about the metagame and the metagame may change drastically if Cinderace is added back to the tier, which means all bets are off. If a top tier Pokemon is added to the metagame in an official capacity, holding a suspect within the next week borders on irresponsible honestly -- there is no way to gauge all of the ramifications this event may have on the metagame in such a brief period. I personally play dozens of games every day and even I could not fathom that quick of a turnaround.

Even if it is voted to remain in Ubers, the tier is still changing and we are still discussing our opinion. Personally, I would like another suspect before DLC2, but saying it should happen within a week of the prior suspect without accounting for metagame shifts, a potential addition of a top tier Pokemon, and the process behind it (having a suspect requires lots of work) is unfair.

The answer to your question is simply that we do not know right now. I'd say that within a week is a firm "probably not", but overall before DLC2 is a "hopefully, but let's wait and see".

Hello, this is a question that I've been thinking this days with Ace suspect.
Is there a posibility that, when the 2nd DLC comes, to take all suspected Pokemon: Magearna, Dracovish, Melmetal and Cinderace (if it goes back to Ubers) to OU at the beggining oa the Crown Tundra metagame, just like when we start a new generation metagame (like what you did with Aegishlash this gen or Protean Gren in SM)
I think that this is a good option to just re-test all and, if they're still broken for the metagame you can ban them again (just like UU did with some Pokemon when the first DLC came)
There are a lot of powerful Pokemon that will come in this DLC, which most of them will end in OU (Tapus, some of the UB, Victini, Latios, the genies, Zapdos, Garchomp...) so the metagame will change drastically (more than it changed with the 1st DLC imo)
It's just an opinion, but I would like to know what the council thinks about this.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Is there a posibility that, when the 2nd DLC comes, to take all suspected Pokemon: Magearna, Dracovish, Melmetal and Cinderace (if it goes back to Ubers) to OU at the beggining oa the Crown Tundra metagame, just like when we start a new generation metagame (like what you did with Aegishlash this gen or Protean Gren in SM)
It is still being discussed and we will reach a conclusion once we finish with the pre-DLC2 tiering. I think it would be fair to add at least some of them to the tier as it is a completely clean slate. The old metagame will not resemble the new one whatsoever.

However, coming to a conclusion on this right now would be premature and it is not my place alone to determine this.

It is still being discussed and we will reach a conclusion once we finish with the pre-DLC2 tiering. I think it would be fair to add at least some of them to the tier as it is a completely clean slate. The old metagame will not resemble the new one whatsoever.

However, coming to a conclusion on this right now would be premature and it is not my place alone to determine this.

That having said. I think every mon should be looked at individually. For example Dracovish will not get any new (viable) checks that aren't water absorbers. However I agree with most of the opinion, but I think the council should look at potential checks first before retesting something.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
That having said. I think every mon should be looked at individually. For example Dracovish will not get any new (viable) checks that aren't water absorbers. However I agree with most of the opinion, but I think the council should look at potential checks first before retesting something.
We are not going to come to one universal opinion. It, much like most other things when it comes to tiering individual Pokemon, will likely be done on a case-to-case basis. We are yet to have these discussions yet, but I imagine we examine every single relevant Pokemon that was banned and that is being released individually. Cannot say we do not come to a similar consensus for a group of Pokemon, but there will be discussion on everything we have alluded to.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
What are some good teammates for a Hydriegon Aegislash core?
A reliable Stealth Rock setter like Clefable or Hippowdon could be helpful. In addition, speed control like Zeraora or Dragapult help round teams like this out. You’ll also want some defensive pivots to help check common threats that you may not cover with these pokemon starting your team! I’d check the viability rankings for a good list of things to account for and if you have more questions, feel free to ask here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)