Metagame 1v1 Metagame Discussion

They have also made subs dissapear when you dynamax. Both of these lower the 50/50 matchups(which you kept mentioning) alot.
That's for the dynamax user, makes it slightly better but doesn't fix shit.

The larger issue with dynamax isn't the abusers, it's the stale gameplay and 50/50s. Having a 19 move metagame is boring and overcentralizing to simply the best stated pokemon. Status moves are barely relevant, and when they are - like in the case of Corsola-G - they counterplay is limitted by the mechanic itself and creates more 50/50s with Dynamax providing offensive capabilities to them with Taunt not even being a reliable check. GMax Alcremie is problematic, but that's not the reason Dynamax should be banned - even if the bug gets fixed the mechanic itself is still at fault.

pqs

Banned deucer.
To ban Dynamax for Sword/Shield would be akin to banning Z-Moves in Sun/Moon, or Mega Evolutions in X/Y.
No. Not at all.
Mega Evolutions: A select amount of Pokemon, usually not as good before it had the mega before, only have access to it.
Z Moves: You need to give up an item slot to use it.
Dynamax: Every Pokemon gets it, and it lasts for 3 turns, NOT akin to Z moves which are 1-turn moves and mega evolutions which last the whole game.
However, since Dynamax is ingrained in the gym battles, the trainer battles, the Raids, and the in game battles, removing it would essentially remove the soul of the Pokemon Sword and Shield games.
Okay we don't take in consideration the "soul" of the Pokemon Sword and Shield games, we try to make our own, seperate type of metagame, as balanced as possible.

pqs

Banned deucer.
But again, I'm not debating whether something is given up to make it balanced. Mega Evolutions made X/Y, just like Z-Moves made Sun/Moon. It's a valid point that needs to be made that you shouldn't remove the feature implemented in the new game because you don't like what it's done to the meta.
That still isn't valid
Just because something MADE a generation, doesn't push away that in the eyes of some it is conceived as broken, and shifting the metagame in a way that makes about 5 Pokemon tops viable. We are looking for balance, not keeping the flagship features of a generation just because.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
**As intended**

Pokemon's main competitive direction/intent is towards VGC, not even singles battling.
Dynamax is much more balanced in those settings since two pokemon can aid in killing it.
I won't dabble too deep into this, but this is a pokemon simulator.
Dynamax is hitting every single metagame, but 1v1 is in my opinion the most affected, since the number of turns in a game is drastically reduced and it limits different playstyles that can be afforded to run in OU because of the number of pokemon.

We're building different metagames with different key components, the game's "intension" isn't a factor to disregard the competitive aspect of the 1v1 metagame.

Cantius

I COULD BE BANNED!
We play to the best of our ability with the mechanics given to us on the cartridge. We keep the game as intended in one way: we don't change the code. We don't set the cover legendaries to 600 BST to make them "balanced," of course.

The intents of the developers only go insofar as the mechanics that are programmed. For elements that can be turned on/off, we rely on gentleman's rules. Reveal an OHKO move? You automatically lose, although nothing in the actual game is preventing you from doing that.

The tiering policy is about skill. REad https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tiering-policy-framework.3628026/ if you need to.

Then in that instance ban those 5 broken Pokemon at the top. Balance the feature, don't just remove the feature.
But that right there is an empty statement. You're making that claim with no actual statistical proof that there will be a mon abusing this. Would it be hard to balance? Sure, but it doesn't mean it's not worth a shot to keep Sw/Sh as intended.
Where are your statistics for the former statement
But again, I'm not debating whether something is given up to make it balanced. Mega Evolutions made X/Y, just like Z-Moves made Sun/Moon. It's a valid point that needs to be made that you shouldn't remove the feature implemented in the new game because you don't like what it's done to the meta.
It's not just an "I don't like it"; it's a "it's so good relative to other mechanics that it makes skillful play irrelevant." Something special? Also takes away the skill component? We pull out the banhammer.
keep Sw/Sh as intended.
"Game Freak made something not to be banned; therefore, it shouldn't be banned." Try saying that it's "especially made to not be banned"; it's still the same reasoning just with rhetorical fluff
My opinion is but a simple one which has probably already been stated. Each new generation of Pokemon brought us something different. To ban Dynamax for Sword/Shield would be akin to banning Z-Moves in Sun/Moon, or Mega Evolutions in X/Y. I see a lot of people claiming that battles become 50/50 or that it's hard to kill bulky offense, but that at it's core is what Game Freak set as the combat system for the entire game, even if people don't like it (I myself didn't like Z-Moves, but wasn't campaigning to get them removed.) If Dynamax was a one-off to fight Eternatus then I would be more inclined to remove it. However, since Dynamax is ingrained in the gym battles, the trainer battles, the Raids, and the in game battles, removing it would essentially remove the soul of the Pokemon Sword and Shield games.
You make no statement as to how Dynamax affects skill versus Z-Moves/Megas.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Aight, so dynamax is banned now, so here are a few thoughts:

I'm expecting a much bulkier metagame overall, strong usage of stat boosts+body press/stored power as well.
Mew is also gonna be a threat, essentially insta winning as long as it lives a hit.
(ez trevenant fodder)
but taunt is inevitably gonna see usage again, so yeah

Morgan

Morgius Sweep
is a Pre-Contributor
So dynamax is gone

Top Threats:
Mew, Dracovish, Mimikyu, Haxorus, Corviknight, Ferrothorn, Dragapult

Mew and Dracovish are probably S tiers, they're so strong.
Mimikyu is super strong and versatile. A+ mon
Corviknight is great, potential for like A or A+

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Resources haven't kicked off yet, but I thought that I'd share a team as a super unofficial sample. I hit a win streak of 22 with this.
Angel (Dragapult) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 220 Def / 252 SpA / 36 Spe
Rash Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Phantom Force

Shadow (Darmanitan-Galar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Giga Impact

Signs (Excadrill) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break

1575263631190.png

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Have a quick team! It's a pretty stally one, but I've enjoyed using it. Corviknight and Type:Null are both criminally underused. I'm excited to get involved with 1v1 more now that Dynamax is gone!!

I also am utterly baffled at why Mew is still around. Imprison + Transform is so blatantly uncompetitive and fucks over way too much to be OK. Please quickban it before I have a heated gaming moment.

pqs

Banned deucer.
bear

Presenting...
bewear.gif

Bewear!

Code:
daymen (Bewear) @ Choice Band 
Ability: Fluffy 
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Atk / 8 Def / 128 SpD / 4 Spe 
Adamant Nature 
- Close Combat 
- Earthquake 
- Giga Impact 
- Darkest Lariat
Overview:

Bewear is criminally underrated in this metagame. 120 HP and 80 Defense can pull through many top-tier threats like Excadrill, Choice Scarf Haxorus, Durant, and physical Dragapult. Though 60 Special Defense isn't very good on its own, its HP helps it take a few special threats, specifically this spread allows Bewear to beat Choice Specs Dragapult.

Moves:
  • Giga Impact is Bewear's go-to move, hitting almost every type other than Rock-, Steel-, Ghost- for neutral damage, though having the setback of recharging every other turn.
  • Close Combat beats the pesky Rock- and Steel-types like Tyranitar and Excadrill, that Giga Impact is resisted by.
  • Earthquake has a chance versus some Fire-types, if they can't KO Bewear even with Fluffy.
  • Darkest Lariat beats Dragapult more effectively.
Set Details:
  • 248 HP and 8 Defense allow Bewear to take a Superpower from an Adamant Choice Scarf Haxorus, while also pulling through threats like Excadrill and Durant.
  • 248 HP and 128 Special Defense along with a nature allows Bewear to tank a Fire Blast from Choice Specs Dragapult, and KO back with Darkest Lariat subsequently.
  • 120 Attack and an Adamant nature is dumped there to beat Durant all of the time with Close Combat. (120+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Durant: 258-304 (100.3 - 118.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO)
  • 4 Speed is to outspeed other uninvested Bewear.
  • Fluffy is Bewear's flagship ability, though the hinderance of being hit 2x from Fire-types is matchup-breaking in some cases.
  • Choice Band gives Bewear more power, allowing it to beat Durant, along other Pokemon.
Notable Moves:

Star (*) means that it just got it this generation.
  • Giga Impact
  • Earthquake
  • Reversal
  • Shadow Claw
  • Dragon Claw
  • Drain Punch
  • Ice Punch
  • Iron Head
  • Zen Headbutt
  • Endure
  • Swords Dance
  • Darkest Lariat (*)
  • Close Combat (*)
Other Options:

Wrath of Alakazam brought up an Endure + Swords Dance + Custap Berry set, I think, if it ever gets released it might be good.

Thank you for reading this post... I might do more of these soon!

edit: updated spread to be more optimized. ty eriey

Last edited:
Doing a mini-analysis on Bewear, putting this here because not many people know about this Pokemon and it's not really fleshed out enough for me to feel comfortable to put in the 1v1 Pokemon Megathread.

Presenting...
View attachment 209496
Bewear!

Code:
Bewear @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Atk / 8 Def / 60 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Giga Impact
- Darkest Lariat
Overview:

Bewear is criminally underrated in this metagame. 120 HP and 80 Defense can pull through many top-tier threats like Excadrill, Choice Scarf Haxorus, Durant, and physical Dragapult. Though 60 Special Defense isn't very good on its own, its HP helps it take a few special threats, specifically this spread allows Bewear to beat Choice Specs Dragapult.

Moves:
  • Giga Impact is Bewear's go-to move, hitting almost every type other than Rock-, Steel-, Ghost- for neutral damage, though having the setback of recharging every other turn.
  • Close Combat beats the pesky Rock- and Steel-types like Tyranitar and Excadrill, that Giga Impact is resisted by.
  • Earthquake has a chance versus some Fire-types, if they can't KO Bewear even with Fluffy.
  • Darkest Lariat beats Dragapult more effectively.
Set Details:
  • 248 HP and 8 Defense allow Bewear to take a Superpower from an Adamant Choice Scarf Haxorus, while also pulling through threats like Excadrill and Durant.
  • 248 HP and 60 Special Defense along with a Careful nature allows Bewear to tank a Fire Blast from Choice Specs Dragapult, and KO back with Darkest Lariat subsequently.
  • 188 Attack is dumped there to beat Durant 3/4ths of the time with Close Combat.
  • 4 Speed is to outspeed other uninvested Bewear.
  • Fluffy is Bewear's flagship ability, though the hinderance of being hit 2x from Fire-types is matchup-breaking in some cases.
  • Choice Band gives Bewear more power, allowing it to beat Durant, along other Pokemon.
Notable Moves:

Star (*) means that it just got it this generation.
  • Giga Impact
  • Earthquake
  • Reversal
  • Shadow Claw
  • Dragon Claw
  • Drain Punch
  • Ice Punch
  • Iron Head
  • Zen Headbutt
  • Endure
  • Swords Dance
  • Darkest Lariat (*)
  • Close Combat (*)
Other Options:

Wrath of Alakazam brought up an Endure + Swords Dance + Custap Berry set, I think, if it ever gets released it might be good.

Thank you for reading this post... I might do more of these soon!
BEWARE...MY EXTREMELY HIGH DEFENSE

Bewear @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Atk / 44 Def or 248 HP / 200 Atk / 60 Def
Adamant Nature
- Giga Impact
- Hammer Arm
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch / Ice Punch

I already posted this in one place but it's probably the best thing I've come up with so far. It is no longer as great a lure as I had thought because Mega Mawile is now nonexistent, but it still fulfills the unique role of a physical wall that can actually do solid damage as an attacker. It inexplicably takes on things like Azumarill and Jirachi. Even stuff that bypasses Fluffy like Kyurem-Black and Mega Charizard X can lose. EVs allow you to avoid a 2HKO from unboosted Mega Gyarados, which also bypasses Fluffy and does a slightly better job. Thunder Punch is probably superior but if your team can handle Water-types and not Dragonite for some reason, switch it around to the other EV spread as well.

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Outrage vs. 248 HP / 60 Def Fluffy Bewear: 186-219 (41.9 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Pair this with a special wall or just something that beats Psychic- and Fairy-types well.

After dynamax/gigantamax have been banned I've found a lot more fun in 1v1. These are two mons I've been abusing to good effect.
mew.PNG

Mew @ Sitrus Berry/Mental Herb
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spe
Timid/Jolly Nature
- Imprison
- Transform
- Overheat/Filler
- Shadow Ball/Taunt/Charm/Filler
EVs for outspeeding Mimukyu.
Imprison prevents opposing mons from using any moves you share with it. In this case, Mew uses Imprison first turn then Transform which means since you share all attacks with your opponent and they will Struggle to death. Imprison isn't overridden by Transform and Imprison comes into effect soon as Transform does meaning as soon as Mew transforms the opponent can't attack.
Imprison+Transform Mew is a pretty solid mon that beats a majority of mons slower than it. If the opposing mon fails to OHKO, put you in range for Struggle, or Taunt it loses. Mew also has the ability to change set to deal with usual counters. Overheat deals with Scarf Darm-Galar which usually beats Mew and Shadow Ball is for special Aegislash, but really all you need is Imprison+Transform and other two slots can be whatever to suit your needs.

curse.PNG

Corsola-Galar @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Strength Sap
- Iron Defense
-Night Shade
-Light Screen/Will-O-Wisp
Iron Defense buffs defense prevents many 2HKOs and allows Corsola-Galar to Strength Sap and get its health back then kill with Night Shade.
Corsola-Galar checks a large portion of physical attackers, not very many special attackers. It is a nice check to many prevalent mons such as Darm-Galar, Dracovish, Dracovolt, Crustle, Excadrill, and other physical mons. Cursed Body allows you to beat choiced mons if you can't otherwise, however it is unreliable. Light Screen allows you to cheese some victories against special attackers. Overall, a good mon if your team stuggles with any of the mentioned physical nukes. (Plan to add calcs/replays later)

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Togedemaru @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Nuzzle
- Reversal
- Zing Zap/Iron Head
- Substitute

I've been having good success with this, beats a lot of the meta, like Mew, Darm, Dracovish, steel types (that aren't exca or aegi).

Cantius

I COULD BE BANNED!
Again, can we quickban Mew as uncompetitive? Its Imprison + Transform sets can run various techs like Overheat/Shadow Ball for offensive coverage (as pointed out by zioziotrip), Taunt to shut down status users, Agility for increased reliability against Choice Scarf Togekiss, and various weakness berries. Hell, it survives most unboosted super effective attacks without investment. Faster Taunt users lose to Mental Herb, which shakes off the Taunt, and Imprison seals the foe's own Taunt. Due to these various sets, the interaction of player choice with the game's outcome is minimized. Imagine if Gen 7 Smeargle got great bulk and decent Speed.

Edit: Plus it's so unpredictable that you have no consistent counterplay, you can run almost any set of your dreams, both offensive and defensive.

Last edited:

Arai

aka the situation
is a Community Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
1575397100230.png
Mew has received a lot of attention lately and for good reason. Most people are probably aware of this by now, but for those of you who aren't Mew has received a fun little move 'Imprison'. It now has a new set that revolves around using Imprison and then Transform to force the opponent into 'Struggle'. Anything slower that fails to OHKO doesn't stand a chance against it thus making it feel uncompetitive for many and being the reason for why people feel the need to get rid of it.
Mew @ Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Imprison
- Transform
- Taunt
- Filler
Filler can be anything from Sub to an attacking move depending on what you feel you need but attacking moves don't seem as viable on this set.
First, let's look at the different ways to beat Mew:
  • The many faster Sub Users blocking Transform.
  • Faster Pokemon in general.
  • Choice Scarf users either by Trick or OHKO/2HKO moves.
  • Grimmsnarl with Prankster Sub.
  • Super-effective moves from hard-hitting Pokemon.
  • Ditto, who also does not have to worry about Megas.
Also responding to points made by zioziotrip and Cantius:
  • Mew does not deal with Scarf Darmanitan even with Overheat as it only has a 12.5% chance to OHKO, EVing to guarantee a win here is not something Mew can afford.
  • Mew does not actually gain anything from having the ability to "change sets" as most coverage moves you could run aren't gonna hit very hard on anything and change matchup results.
  • Togekiss beats Mew by running Trick to lock Mew into a move, be it Agility as Cantius said or something else.
  • Many Pokemon have viable Choice Scarf sets which are often able to 2HKO Mew, and others like Dark-Types can actually OHKO Mew with a super-effective Knock Off.
The way I see it there are many Pokemon in the tier right now that can run sets that aren't even that weird or off-meta to counter Mew. While it is a dangerous speed trap, it's not like we didn't have plenty of those back in USUM. Sure some were more unreliable than others but still speed traps to consider nonetheless. I simply see it as just another Pokemon one has to consider when building. Despite being "unpredictable" I don't think it changes many matchups enough for it to deserve a ban. Feel free to change my mind though.
Again, can we quickban Mew as uncompetitive?
No. Please don't just ask for a quick ban for something that is not outright broken and still has ways to get countered.

Cantius

I COULD BE BANNED!
Offensive sets can block Substitute/Trick, like you can use Flamethrower to beat Whimsicott
You only need 160 SpA EVs to be guaranteed to beat GDarm, Mew has so much natural bulk that it can afford to take EVs out of its bulk. It only needs 232 Spe EVs with Timid to outspeed Jolly Haxorus, you can use 240 to outspeed Hydreigon with Colbur Berry (you beat Nasty Plot naturally)
You're not OHKOing Mew with an unboosted Knock Off, that has 97.5 effective base power, you need a Choice Band / Life Orb boost

No. Please don't just ask for a quick ban for something that is not outright broken and still has ways to get countered.
Claiming it can be countered without considering the offensive sets? Give me the paste of a team that can't be c-teamed by one Mew set. For example, let's start with Mace's team that he shared:
Angel (Dragapult) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 220 Def / 252 SpA / 36 Spe
Rash Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Phantom Force

Shadow (Darmanitan-Galar) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Giga Impact

Signs (Excadrill) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break
The countering set:
Mew @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Close Combat

Survives any hit from Dragapult and OHKOes:
252+ SpA Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 240-284 (70.3 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Dragapult Phantom Force vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 228-270 (66.8 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Mew Outrage vs. 0 HP / 220 Def Dragapult: 350-414 (110.4 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Outspeeds Galarian Darmanitan and OHKOes:
252+ Atk Choice Band Mew Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darmanitan-Galar: 578-682 (164.6 - 194.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Tanks any hit from Excadrill and OHKOes, crit lol:
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew on a critical hit: 279-328 (81.8 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Mew Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 542-638 (150.1 - 176.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This is a testament to both Mew's offensive capabilities and its bulk

Arai

aka the situation
is a Community Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Claiming it can be countered without considering the offensive sets? Give me the paste of a team that can't be c-teamed by one Mew set.
Using specific moves just to counter a specific team does not make a new viable set and like pqs said it loses out on many other threats Mew normally beats. Dragapult could simply resort to haban to c-team that Mew for example.

As stated by Arai and pqs Mew is not some unbeatable mon because of its coverage. While its coverage is very good it lacks the stats to become a bannable issue. Every Mew set will have a counter that is not tailored to beat it. Every time you change the set to deal with one counter another pops up. Mew is a pokemon that can effectively tailor a set to deal with certain types of mons (ex:Imprison+Transorm is a good speed trap, Band deals with many Scarf mons) however this is nothing new or broken. Also, I believe Mental Herb is inferior to Sitrus as Mew needs two turns anyway and if you really want to beat slow Taunt mons just run it yourself then Imprison will prevent it, the health Sitrus gives is necessary for some matchups, most notably gives you a better chance against Scarf Darm.
Edit: To avoid making a post that just reiterates previous points I'll drop what I believe is its actual best set and two teams I've had success with.
Mew @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Power Whip/Thunder Punch
- Close Combat /Flare Blitz
- Earthquake/Ice Punch/Poison Jab
The coverage is just a suggestion and you should tailor it to your team but Outrage is meant for Dragapult that fails to kill you and Earthquake has the potential to beat Aegislash. WP Aegislash and Physical still beat Mew. Other than that Mew's coverage deals with a lot of scarf mons that fail to kill it and various others. I'll go more in-depth in another post but this set is solid.
Eiscue @ Salac Berry
Ability: Ice Face
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Endure
- Icicle Crash
- Liquidation

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head

Mew @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Power Whip
- Fire Punch
- Poison Jab

A team that utilizes Band Mew to check what beats Eiscue and WP Aegislash. By no means a broken team but it's pretty fun.
Mew @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Imprison
- Transform
- Substitute
- Overheat

Sylveon @ Throat Spray
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 12 SpA / 244 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Yawn
- Wish
- Hyper Voice

Darmanitan-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
Darm checks Dragapult and the rare Gengar. Sylveon can beat other fast mons that Darm can't kill and Mew speed traps anything under 97 speed. The issue with the team is no way to deal with Darm outside of a speed tie. Still, a solid team that lures in slows and fasts then can deal with them.

Last edited:

Jabiru

formerly ThatCabbageGuy
First, let's look at the different ways to beat Mew:
Let me preface this by saying that I don't feel Mew as at a point where it should be considered banworthy, (I'll go further into my reasoning for this at the end of my post) however I do think Araii oversimplifies Mew's versatility. In talking about an imprison, transform set its probably going to look something like this:
Mew @ Filler
EVs: Filler / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Imprison
- Transform
- Filler
- Filler
Within these filler slots, Mew actually has a lot of options to beat a large number of its counters, albeit some of them being quite niche.
Mental Herb: allows Mew to beat faster taunters.

Colbur/Kasib/Tanga Berries in combination with 100/100/100 bulk do allow Mew to bulk a lot of shit that it couldn't otherwise, further establishing Mew as a 100 base speed speed trap as with the relevant berry, it can bulk one hit from pretty much anything neccesitating its opponents to outspeed it. Just for a bit of reference: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Vikavolt Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tanga Berry Mew: 262-310 (64.8 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Then even if they do outspeed they then need to deal pretty relevant damage: 252+ SpA Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Kasib Berry Mew: 94-112 (27.5 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO.

Sitrus Berry: Allows Mew a little more survivability against non-super-effective opponents: 252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 214-253 (52.9 - 62.6%) would win otherwise but the 25% heal is enough to swing this.

Taunt/Substitute: I've put these two together because they function fairly similarly, their key purpose on the set is not for use but so Mew, through use of imprison, can prevent opponents from using them against it.

Offensive moves: I'm not going to list these individually because they all function almost identically and help serve three different objectives:
  • To, in combination with also running substitute, allow Mew to beat faster substitute users. Peep
  • To serve as a wincon in and of itself, for example Scarf Hydreigon will almost always beat an imprison transform Mew but carrying dazzling gleam will allow the Mew to win this. However without the support of Band/Specs, there are very limited matchups which Mew can win in this way, often simply lacking the offensive presence to OHKO these threats.
  • To in a similar manner to taunt/substitute prevent the opponent from using these moves (as niche as it sounds, for shadow ball and dark pulse it is relevant enough to be a consideration and both moves can still function to complete the first objective) Peep
Aight hear me out on this one, Magic Room: Bops scarf trick shenanigans, also blocks the speed boost from scarf and since the majority of pokemon carrying scarf are below 100 base speed you don't actually lose out clicking magic room over turn 1 if they are scarf and don't happen to click trick Peep

On top of this, Mew can run Band/Specs sets that can allow it to beat out a lot of the scarf mons that threaten its imprison/transform set.
252 SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 284-336 (83.2 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Mew Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Chandelure: 262-310 (100.3 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

However having said all this, most of these sets/options are quite niche in what they beat, there is a relatively large opportunity cost for running a lot of these other options and to that extent I would probably liken Mew this gen far more to something like Greninja in SM, than to Mimikyu or Kyub which whilst sharing the trait of being rather versatile were able to beat out a much larger portion of the metagame with each of their sets which is to my mind what pushed them beyond the point of balance and subsequently resulted in their ban from the metagame.

Mew is definitely suspect-worthy at the very least right now.
Through imprison-transform, it can beat almost any slower poke excepting Grimmsnarl with the help of berries as Cabbbages as mentioned (yes, including Aegislash) .
Scarf Trick users and other faster pokemon lose to the quite potent offensive sets. I've had a good experience with Specs although as others have mentioned Scarf and Band are viable
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mew Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 340-400 (107.2 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Darmanitan-Galar Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 241-285 (70.6 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Looking at Arai's list of "counters"
Only one of these is valid when it comes to Mew as a whole: faster substitute users like Cinderace and Inteleon can outmuscle Mew by OHKOing even offensive sets. Let's look at the rest of these: Faster pokemon in general usually fold to offensive attacks from Specs or CB sets, many others have demonstrated this. Scarf users just lose to specs or band, again, they don't have the offensive ability while running scarf to get past Mew's insane bulk. Grimmsnarl dies to Sludge Wave or Gunk Shot from offensive sets, Super-effective moves are eaten up by berries, and Ditto not only loses to harder-hitting specs sets that it fails to OHKO but is also unviable in 1v1.

Morgan

Morgius Sweep
is a Pre-Contributor
Mew is definitely suspect-worthy at the very least right now.
Through imprison-transform, it can beat almost any slower poke excepting Grimmsnarl with the help of berries as Cabbbages as mentioned (yes, including Aegislash) .
Scarf Trick users and other faster pokemon lose to the quite potent offensive sets. I've had a good experience with Specs although as others have mentioned Scarf and Band are viable
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mew Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 340-400 (107.2 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Darmanitan-Galar Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 241-285 (70.6 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Looking at Arai's list of "counters"

Only one of these is valid when it comes to Mew as a whole: faster substitute users like Cinderace and Inteleon can outmuscle Mew by OHKOing even offensive sets. Let's look at the rest of these: Faster pokemon in general usually fold to offensive attacks from Specs or CB sets, many others have demonstrated this. Scarf users just lose to specs or band, again, they don't have the offensive ability while running scarf to get past Mew's insane bulk. Grimmsnarl dies to Sludge Wave or Gunk Shot from offensive sets, Super-effective moves are eaten up by berries, and Ditto not only loses to harder-hitting specs sets that it fails to OHKO but is also unviable in 1v1.
inteleon and cinderace can also BOTH lose to speed control + taunt (Electroweb/Rock Tomb)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)