2011 Music

This is something I didn't expect.....Drake's new album is actually really good. I mean legitimately good.

Quality Artists in 2011:

Nero
Mistabishi
London Elektricity
Loadstar
Fresh
Chase & Status
Camo & Krooked
Calibre
Brookes Brothers

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
For those that don't know Childish Gambino released his album. The site doesn't seem to let you listen to it anymore, so you'll probably have to find other means of hearing it before you download, or just buy it if you have the money. Overall, I think it's a pretty solid album, Fire Fly, Bonfire and Heartbeat would have to be my favorite songs on it.

New Esoteric is my album of the year.
Will for sure check out, I love funeral doom.

I've been meaning to write up this post for like a month now, but I was too lazy to do it. Here is the 2011 stuff I have been digging recently (most of it isn't actually RECENT, but whatever).

CIVIL CIVIC: RULES

Pretty much anyone I've talked to about music recently I've recommended this to. The melodies on this album just worm your way into your mind and don't let go. The genre is kind of hard for me to describe, I want to call it electronic rock, but that isn't a real genre >_>. The album is completely instrumental, so if you have an issue with that, this probably isn't the album for you, but I LOVE this thing.

CIVIL CIVIC - Run Overdrive

Woods of Desolation: Torn Beyond Reason

One thing I love about black metal is it's ability to lock into one feeling or emotion and just EMOBDY it through the course of an album. Sometimes it is ice cold northern winds, sometimes it's self loathing and depression, but whatever it is, black metal can grasp a feeling and completely become it like few other genres can. I'll be damned, but the feeling Woods of Desolation have captured here is pretty fucking uplifting, not exactly a feeling captured in black metal often. It's wonderful, and maybe the lyrics are all about trv kvltness or killing yourself or some shit, I haven't looked at them, but all I know is when I listen to this album I feel uplifted.

Woods of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason

Johnny Foreigner: Johnny Foreigner Vs Everything

This one was a grower on me. I thought it was just decent at first, but something about it drew me back to it and as I gave it more spins the more I grew to like it. I honestly think this is an album that is greater than the sum of it's songs. Everything comes together to make one great experience. The genre is "indie rock", but as I'm sure you know that pretty much means squat in terms of actually defining a sound. The group sounds like it's about to fly off the handle at certain points, but not so much that it sounds random. At others it's more mellow, and the mellower songs here give good contrast to the more upbeat ones. It sounds immediate, but intimate as well. Even if you don't like this on the first play, if you do decide to DL it, give it a chance to grow on you, and it might like it did for me.

Johnny Foreigner - (Don't) Show Us Yr Fangs

2011 example of stuff I'm in now :

After Light Rustie is a young UK producer doing big stuff, you must hear this at least once

They Notice LA rapper spiting over cool samples, FFX samples in this song, for examples (I love this game)

Ocean Bed Ginger Morrison defending his colours

Escape another LA pearl with a cool name imo

Starfox Kuedo is an ex-member of Vex'd so its obvious that his music is good

Out Of This World A$AP Houston star

new nemesea is sort of disappointing; sad to see they went to the poppy side of symph. oh well, i grabbed a few other new albums to check out:

absu - abzu
owl - owl
vildhjarta - mässtaden
xerath - ii

also new mournful congregation is pretty good funeral doom, which makes me think i'll check out esoteric sometime soonish.

This is something I didn't expect.....Drake's new album is actually really good. I mean legitimately good.
Drake's album is good. I had the album sitting inside my CPU for weeks before finally listening to it yesterday after reading this post. Way better than his first album where there weren't as many good songs. I personally like Over My Dead Body, Headlines, Take Care, Under Ground Kings, Marvin's Room, Lord Knows, Doing It Wrong, The Real Her, HYFR, Look What You've Done.

I hope I'm not the only one here that thinks Drake's album was no good. It's a very feminine album. It makes sense, since Drake's fanbase is largely female so the slower-paced, relationship-y songs hit the target audience. I also feel like the album is full of recycled Drake lines and that the collaborations on the album were nothing but unremarkable (besides Andre 3000, but I'm biased). I went so as far as to say that Carter IV is a better album than Take Care.

But, enough of Aubrey. Lupe Fiasco's mixtape Friend Of The People (FOTP) will be released on Thanksgiving. I've already heard the first song released from the mixtape, titled Lightwork and am very excited for the rest of it.

Literally just discovered this guy, was listening to his music on Spotify, and suddenly this song came up and FUCK what just happened to my ears it's so amazing. He makes classical music so if you aren't into that, oh well. But this song THIS SONG It's a classical/electronic fusion song and it's so perfect

EDIT: doom, I listened to that Civil Civic album and it is really phenomenal

I promised I was gonna post this in the metalheads thread but it seemed pretty much dead at this point so I'm just gonna post it here. It's just a quick review of all of the November metal albums I've been listening to, but I felt there was some really good stuff this month.

Antediluvian - Through the Cervix of Hawwah
Genre - Death Metal

I wrote up a quick review of this in the metalheads thread and I don't think I really did it justice. I mentioned that it was almost as good as Disma's Towards the Megalith (if you haven't heard that and you like old school death metal you should really check that release out as well btw). With a bit more time to listen to it, I think it's even BETTER than Towards the Megalith. Antediluvian play this rather chaotic brand of death metal, where at first listen it might just seem to be chaos with no structure, but with further listens the album unfolds it's secrets. The album feels like a primitive, lumbering, primordial beast. Very highly recommended.
Rating: 4.5/5

Antediluvian - Luminous Harvest

Vektor - Outer Isolation
Genre - Thrash Metal

One of the most awaited releases of the year for many metalheads, Vektor's Outer Isolation doesn't disappoint. Vektor released their debut album Black Future back in 09 and pretty much overnight became the face of thrash revival. Their sound is hard to compare; they play a brand of proggy thrash that the closest reference point I can find is possibly Dimension Hatröss era Voivod, but even that doesn't quite hit the nail on the head. Of note is their vocalist David DiSanto, who sings with what can only be described as a pterodactyl shriek. So, is Outer Isolation as good as Black Future? I think not, but not for lack of trying. It doesn't hit me as immediately as Black Future did, and they've stripped out a lot of the subtle underlying black metal elements from their last album that I really loved. However, in return they've improved the slower sections; on Black Future they were mostly use to lead in or out a song, now they are really nice sections that can musically stand on their own. Overall, it's a great release, and for sure a highlight of 2011 metal for me.
Rating: 4/5

Vektor - Outer Isolation

Panopticon - Social Disservices
Genre - Black Metal

First of all, If you haven't listened to Panopticon's 2009 album Collapse and have even a passing interest in black metal, please go do so now! It's an epic tale of the collapse and subsequent rebirth of society that includes prominent bluegrass and acoustic guitar sections, but they are included in a way that never feels hokey or forced. It's one of my favorite black metal albums of all time and for sure deserves a listen. Getting back on track, I was interested to see how Panopticon would follow up such a release (he's released one more album in between, but that was just two sides of splits he has done stuck together). Rather predictably for an artist who has always been something of a shapeshifter between releases, he's 100% changed course. There is no bluegrass on this album at all, it is all pure black metal with some ambient interludes from time to time. The concept this time around is the failings of government social services in the US. It might not be his heaviest yet, but it sure is his most bitter, every track seems to spew pent up venom. As always Panopticon crafts great songs with some on the best drum work in black metal. Another metal highlight from a great month for the genre.
Rating 4/5

Panopticon - Resident

Leviathan - True Traitor, True Whore
Genre - Black Metal

Just gonna get one thing clear off the bat for this one, the man behind this project is currently accused of rape with the trial still pending. I figure this is important to mention at the start of this review, because I could completely understand someone not listening to this for moral reasons, but that doesn't change the music inside. Leviathan has for years been the most prominent US black metal act and he's back with his latest album entitled True Traitor, True Whore. I was expecting a very angry Wrest on this release, but in fact, this is probably the least agressive album in Leviathan's catalog. There is strong focus on ambient interludes, or something new to the Leviathan formula, sections where he just lets the instruments break down into this mire of sound. It might not reach his previous highs, especially due to some inconsistency towards the back half of the album, but another pretty good release for this one man USBM band.
Rating: 3.5/5

Leviathan - True Whorror

Bastard Priest - Ghouls of the Endless Night
Genre - Death Metal

Of all of the November releases I was looking forward to, this is the only one that somewhat disappointed me. Bastard Priest play a distinctly swedish brand of death metal, and they play it well. However, in recent years we've seen a ton of bands try to recapture the sound of Entombed and Dismember, and if this album is anything to go by, I'm not sure why I would pick Bastard Priest out of the legion of artists vying for my attention. This isn't a BAD album though; almost every song is played well, and the album is fun. Apparently their last album is more highly rated than this one, so I will have to check that out some time, but as for this album, what I got was a plate of well played, enjoyable, but somewhat generic swedish death metal.
Rating: 3/5

Bastard Priest - Enormous Thunder of the End

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
chevelle's new album, hats off to the bulls, drops december 6th. definitely can't wait for that, been looking forward to some new stuff by them and the leaked track 'face to the floor' has gotten my expectations p high.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)