2011 Music

Aside from Black Keys' new one, I think 2011, for me, is officially finished with new music. At least, upcoming stuff... There are still a few albums I probably want to check out.

I'm already getting hyped for next year though. Reign Of Terror by Sleigh Bells and TBA by Frank Ocean :heart:

RED had a great album that came out in February, that might have been my favorite album this year. Maybe hoping for a new Three Days Grace album soon? :D

Nujabes - Spiritual State

I am genuinely surprised that I didn't find out about this before today, or that it hadn't (that I saw anyway) been mentioned in this thread yet. By all means, this should be one of the most high profile releases of the year. Haven't finished listening to it yet, just wanted to get this out there.

Aside from Black Keys' new one, I think 2011, for me, is officially finished with new music. At least, upcoming stuff... There are still a few albums I probably want to check out.

I'm already getting hyped for next year though. Reign Of Terror by Sleigh Bells and TBA by Frank Ocean :heart:
FRANK OCEAN and drake gonna kill it

Stereogum's list is really awesome. I liked almost everything except Destroyer. But in whole it's one of the best!

sooo, what's everyone's top ten from 2011?

I have still a lot of albums to listen to, but mine:

La Dispute - Wildlife
Tom Waits - Bad As Me
Esoteric - Paragon of Dissonance
The Antlers - Burst Apart
Big K.R.I.T. - ReturnOf4Eva
Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver
Giles Corey - Giles Corey
Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact
Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise
Wild Beasts - Smother

my 4's are actually much more interesting

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

http://the-weeknd.com/

And we end the year with, arguably, the best mixtape of them all. For fans of The Weeknd's first two mixtapes, this final installment of his trilogy was not only worth the wait, but completely exceeds any expectations you may have had. Enjoy.
nice :)

i certainly did enjoy the weeknd's first mixtape, i wasn't even aware of a second

1. Blue Sky Black Death - NOIR
2. Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning
3. Opeth - Heritage
4. Agora - Regresa al Vértigo
5. The World/Inferno Friendship Society - The Anarchy And The Ecstasy
6. *Shels - Plains Of The Purple Buffalo
7. Necro Deathmort - Music Of Bleak Origin
8. Blut Aus Nord - 777 - The Desanctification
9. Fovea Hex - Here Is Where We Used To Sing
10. Nujabes - Spiritual State

the rest of my list

I might be way too generous of a rater, but man this year was incredible, and I still have like 40 more albums that I have yet to listen to

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I haven't listened to a whole lot of new albums, but:
1. Machine Head - Unto The Locust
2. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events
3. Unexpect - Fables of The Sleepless Empire
4. Mastodon - The Hunter
5. The Devin Townsend Project - Ghost
6. The Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction
7. Thrice - Major/Minor
8. Trivium - In Waves
9. Fair To Midland - Arrows And Anchors
10. Symphony X - Iconoclast
Sadly no band on this list released what I think to be their best album (i.e. every album on this list is inferior to another of the same band's albums).

I also listened to the new Opeth but it's terrible.

What I'm hitting from this year:

Machine Head - Unto the Locust (my favorite from this year)
Megadeth - Th1rt3en
This Is Where It Ends - All Shall Perish
Surtur Rising - Amon Amarth
Worship Music - Anthrax
Khaos Legions - Arch Enemy
Ritual - The Black Dahlia Murder
Blunt Force Trauma - Cavalera Conspiracy
Relentless Reckless Forever - Children of Bodom
The Age of Hell - Chimaira
Day of Reckoning - Destruction
Beast - DevilDriver
A Dramatic Turn of Events - Dream Theater
Five Serpent's Teeth - Evile
The Hunter - Mastodon
Quarterpast - Mayan
Kairos - Sepultura
Forever Abomination - Skeletonwitch
Conjure and Command - Toxic Holocaust
Welcome to the Morbid Reich - Vader
Fallen Angels - Venom

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
Antediluvian - Through the Cervix of Hawwah
Mastodon - The Hunter
Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
CunninLyinguists - Oneirology
Kendrick Lamar - Section.80
Author - Author
tUnE-yArDs - w h o k i l l
Klātu - Mutual
La Dispute - Wildlife
Vektor - Outer Isolation
Panopticon - Social Diservices
Disma - Towards the Megalith
Chelsea Wolfe- Ἀποκάλυψις
CIVIL CIVIC - RULES

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure I missed a few big ones.

The Dear Hunter's Colors also gets a major shout out from me too, despite being more a collection of EPs than a proper album.

bad year imo. so many bands i like put out really disappointing releases, fuck 2011.

top 10 in no particular order

Ampere - Like Shadows
Giles Corey - Giles Corey
Kashiwa Daisuke - 88
Rome - Die Æsthetik der Herrschaftsfreiheit
The Psychic Paramount - II
Tom Waits - Bad As Me
Astronautalis - This Is Our Science
Tartar Lamb - Polyimage Of Known Exits
13 & God - Own Your Ghost
This Will Destroy You - Tunnel Blanket

agreeing this year was unimpressive
my only standout albums are:
The Strokes - Angles
Justice - Audio, Video, Disco (come at me, bros)
Digitalism - I Love You, Dude
Amon Tobin - ISAM
TV On the Radio - Nine Types of Light
Omar-S - It Can Be Done But Only I Can Do It
Jakszyk, Fripp, and Collins - A Scarcity of Miracles (if only because it's a reminder of the better parts of 80's King Crimson)

edit: ok fuck you Luke Vibert, spontaneously releasing what has potential to be one of my favorite albums of the year after I make a year end list!!
DLing Plug - Back On Time at present

The Wonder Years - Suburbia I've Given You All And Now I'm Nothing
Fireworks - Gospel
Polar Bear Club - Clash Battle Guilt Pride
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
Balance & Composure - Seperation
Frank Turner - England Keep my Bones
Save Your Breath - Vices
Yellowcard - When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes (Acoustic)
Farewell Continental - Hey, Hey Pioneers!
The Dangerous Summer - War Paint
letlive. - Fake History
the Swellers - Good For Me
Twin Atlantic - Free
Lower Than Atlantis - World Record

Those were the albums I liked this year, anyway. Don't have a particular top 10 though, more like top 8.

Just a top however-many-albums-I-thought-were-really-good-from-this-year:

Beirut - The Ripe Tide
Man Man - Life Fantastic
Mister Heavenly - Out Of Love
(Probably my favorite album because how fresh and new the sound was. It is full of hooks and starts off so strong.)

Wild Child - Pillow Talk
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Atlas Sound - Parallax
Real Estate - Days
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
VIRGINS - Red Green Blue
James Blake - James Blake

EDIT: Conveniently that's 10 albums so I guess that is my top 10 in no particular order.

here we go

Nero - Welcome Reality (Dubstep)

Really strong debut album. Nero manages to capture the essence of dubstep without overly diluting it - the melody remains in the low register, contrasted with Alana Watson's piercing vocals for a great listening experience. Stay away if you have no interest in the dubstep/drum and bass scene though, I just feel it was the strongest dubstep album this year.

Nero - Promises

Justice - Audio, Video, Disco (Electro)

Came under a hail of criticism for, essentially, not being Cross, which is quite sad. Although, personally, I would have appreciated Cross 2 more, AVD manages to be a solid Justice album with all the features of Justice music that makes it so loved the world over. The new sound isn't terrible just because it's not Cross - in fact it grew on me after a few listens. Recommend to anyone.

Justice - Civilization

Does It Offend You, Yeah? - Don't Say We Didn't Warn You (Dance-punk)

DIOYY?'s second release is more matured, yet at the same time more wild and grimy than their first. It seems they're attempting to shed the dance tag often attached to them, and moving in a more psychedelic direction. Whatever their intent, this album is still awesome. Recommend to any fans of electronic music.

Does It Offend You, Yeah? - We Are The Dead

Architecture in Helsinki - Moment Bends (Indie pop)

It's no In Case We Die, but Moment Bends really gets to you at some points. There's a lot of emotion in the songs, and the vocal harmonies are a great listen. Gets quite repetitive, but it's catchy in the places that matter. Recommend to any pop listeners.

Architecture in Helsinki - Escapee

Sparkadia - The Great Impression (Alt rock)

I'm impressed whenever an Australian group manages to release something good, because to be honest, our music is pretty shitty in general. Sparkadia manages to channel other similar Australian bands in the catchiness of Little Red and Ball Park Music, while evoking emotion like The Panics. I couldn't describe The Great Impression's sound too easily without doing it justice, so please have a listen to it.

Sparkadia - Talking Like I'm Falling Down Stairs

The Strokes - Angles (Alt rock)

Angles really brings back the sounds of 80s rock while still retaining modern characteristics. It's foottapping, relaxing and psychedelic at the same time. Fans of The Strokes have been holding out for a while for this album, and for good reason. I wouldn't suggest it as your first venture into The Strokes, but the New York band does not disappoint. Recommend to fans of alt rock. I had to link two songs because I feel while Under Cover of Darkness is by far the most popular song on the album, it doesn't accurately represent the album as a whole.

The Strokes - Under Cover of Darkness

The Strokes - Metabolism

The Wombats - This Modern Glitch (Indie rock)

This Modern Glitch is catchy, almost unfairly so, and it might be because of its catchiness that you'll never see it on any Pitchfork list. However, I guarantee you won't feel guilty listening to it - the band has done a good job of creating quality music that's easy and fun to listen to. Recommend to all fans of lighter rock.

The Wombats - Jump Into The Fog

The Glitch Mob - We Can Make The World Stop (Glitch)

I cheated - this release is an EP, not a full length album. However, The Glitch Mob has been active lately, touring and releasing remixes. The three songs within this EP are great, and should be a good gateway into their LP, Drink The Sea which was released last year. Recommend to all fans of electronic music.

The Glitch Mob - Warrior Concerto

Los Campesinos! - Hello Sadness (Indie pop)

Every time Los Campesinos! releases a new album, I get scared. I get scared that they're rushing things, and that they'll rush a poorly constructed album that's regressive in their development as a band. And every time they release a new album, I breathe a sigh of relief, because Hello Sadness retains some features from their older stuff - the toe tapping melodies and cheery vocals, but also shows some maturity, just like Romance is Boring before it. Recommend to all fans of indie music (the genre, since no band is really 'indie' any more).

Los Campesinos! - By Your Hand

The above albums haven't been placed in any particular order, but number 10 I feel has been my favourite album of 2011, and probably the strongest in a year that was otherwise pretty ordinary.

Florence + the Machine - Ceremonials (Indie pop)

Ceremonials is an amazing album, with the soaring vocals, light harps and pounding drums that shot her to fame back when Lungs was released. It definitely shows her maturity as a vocalist, although one common criticism is that the album, to people listening to it for the first time or that aren't fans of Florence and her machine, sounds like one high note being held for about an hour. For this reason, I won't recommend it if you have no interest in this sort of music, but if you do, it is probably the best of its kind in 2011.

Florence + the Machine - Shake It Out

1. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
2. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Belong
3. The Dear Hunter - The Color Spectrum
4. Explosions in the Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
5. Wilco - The Whole Love
6. Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver
7. The Antlers - Burst Apart
8. M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
9. Toro y Moi - Underneath the Pine
10. Radiohead - The King of Limbs
11. Drake - Take Care
12. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
13. Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes
14. Cunninlynguists - Oneirology
15. Adele - 21

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just want to say that Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah's album this year was actually pretty awesome and if you didn't get to check it out maybe you should???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)