Are aesthetics important to you? (Pokemon)

There happens to be a lot of competative discussion occuring within the world of Pokemon, but I was wondering if people could enjoy the game by playing it in a more creative way.

For example; I don't really like the idea that Blastoise is faster than Wartortle, and aesthetically, Wartortle is my favorite Pokemon; but: I can't realistically imagine Wartortle using moves like Scald and Ice Beam, I prefer to imagine him using other moves like Withdraw, Aqua Tail, Skull Bash, Bubble, and Ice Punch; and considering how the competative spirit rules out most of any Pokemons abilities, I believe, at least in theory, that it would be more preferable to purposely handicap myself for the sake of aesthetic.

I also couldn't imagine Wartortle being level 100, and my theory here is that if we choose to battle all of our Pokes at level 100, what are the other 99 being used for? I would rather set up my Wartortle at a hefty level 25-50, depending on how badass that particular Wartortle is.

Throughout my Pokemon experience, I have chosen to forfeit competition for the sake of significance, in D/P for example, in my battle against Flint, rather than opting to KO his Driftblim with my Palkia, I chose to use Earth Power instead, which became a metaphor for some artistic interaction; most people wouldn't be able to enjoy this kind of experience, but I chose to view Pokemon battles as a form of artwork, and I believe that Flint admired that trait about myself.

Imagine, for example, several Pokemon entering battle, they are Bellossom, Lilligant, Roserade and Maloetta, and what do they do? Instead of battling, they dance! Pretty retarded/gay, right? Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If you are enjoying yourself man, then do whatever pleases you. Video games often have limited ways to play them, but even if you choose not to do the standard, as long as you are having fun, I don't think you are wrong, I guess.

Just know that what you are saying might sound dumb to majority of us 'cause you posted this on a competitive Pokemon community, where aesthetics isn't the most important thing, generally.

I really wished other people thought more along these lines, because then I would be able to endulge in the hobby, but there is really no interest in it.

I got around to thinking about it though, and a Wartortle shooting Ice Beams out of its hands would be really cool.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
i used to think that level 50+ pokemon were really really strong, despite there being 50 more levels to go until the cap. I guess the RBY E4 left a strong impression on me for the rest of the pokegames, especially when you start running into WILD level 50+ pokemon. kinda scary??

i'm not too keen on aesthetics when it comes to competitive play, but i do find that i have to have my moves in a certain order, especially since all the moves are colored by type, too. i wouldn't forfeit skill for aesthetics when i'm trying to become the CHAMPION though, i will fuck flint up from every direction whenever we meet again. :doom:

If you battle with a pokemon like Ferrothorn instead of Venusaur you have sold your soul. Aesthetics all the way.

Idunno, Wartortle and Blastoise are both turtles/tortoises, so they're both gonna be pretty slow. If anything Blastoise should be faster just because I assume he would be able to cover more distance with each step.

...I don't get it...how is Palkia using Earth Power on Driftblim "a metaphor for some artistic interaction"? Seriously, that statement is confusing to me...not to mention I don't think a string of 0s and 1s really admire traits about anything.

I don't get this topic entirely, the closest thing I've done along this line is never evolving my Pikachu back in RBY (especially Yellow), always kept it as a Pikachu...must've been the influence of the anime at a young age.

That's the fundamental difference between us, I live in a world full of fantasy, impossibilities and supersticians; where I can see beyond the face of reality, you are stuck in a world full of disbelief, left with no ingenuity or creativity.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
I thought that was really cute actually. Like, palkia slaps the earth and makes the ground shoot up, but driftblim floats out of the way and stuff.
I don't know. I like it op.

Thanks, that is what it was like, he was throwing the balloon around while sprinking Soft Sand around the arena.

That's the fundamental difference between us, I live in a world full of fantasy, impossibilities and supersticians; where I can see beyond the face of reality, you are stuck in a world full of disbelief, left with no ingenuity or creativity.
And insulting me makes you so much better right? Well here's a bit more of real world disbelief for you, screw off.

Virtualkaraokecircusact at last gives me an answer though, so that's what the ideal is. Almost akin to those coordinator competitions in the anime, always thought those were amusing.

I can't communicate through the barrier with you,
and you can beat on it all you want and it won't break.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Come to Pokemon Showdown (I assume I can link to sites that are associated with Smogon), I swear half our userbase is just like you in this sense.

I have a tendency to split my pokemon life into competitive and flavor. If I'm online, I play to win and tend to discuss aesthetics on the side.

Insofar as Wartortle versus Blastoise, one thing to consider is that as bulky as Blastoise is, one Blastoise step accounts for 10-20 Wartortle steps.

Wartortle has that big windy tail and ears to help him control his movement during high speed encounters.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Blastoise is faster because it's an evolved version of Wartortle. You are missing out on the fundamental aesthetics of Pokemon if this is a big deal to you, and bigger does not always mean slower.

Anyway, when you have a franchise that is marketed on the strength of its characters, yes aesthetics is important and it is why I don't give a rat's ass about gen 5. If I did play comp, I'd play to win but you can do that without ugly pokemon like Salamence.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Eh sorry, I can appreciate your love for aesthetic, and they way you think about things is very interesting to me, but I could never share it. I'm too much of a hard, logic kind of guy. But keep on keeping on if thats what makes you happy, its a very interesting and unique hobby you have.

Blastoise is faster because it's an evolved version of Wartortle. You are missing out on the fundamental aesthetics of Pokemon if this is a big deal to you, and bigger does not always mean slower.

Anyway, when you have a franchise that is marketed on the strength of its characters, yes aesthetics is important and it is why I don't give a rat's ass about gen 5. If I did play comp, I'd play to win but you can do that without ugly pokemon like Salamence.
...how is Salamence ugly? I always thought it looked the closest to your stereotypical European/western dragons (Rayquaza being your stereotypical Eastern/Asian dragon design). Now Shelgon, there's something weird...

Something else I find funny is how short all of these Pokemon are for the most part...most aren't even at the average male height in a given country.

Also for what it's worth if you're talking non-stat characteristics, Wartortle I think would have more of an advantage in swimming with the tail and all, but on land realistically both would move fairly slow regardless.

re: salamance discussion

everything about it is pretty great save for the super stylized wings. they sort of look like they were just thrown on there, especially with the flat red colour. also considering how flat they are i couldn't imagine it actually flapping them.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
He always struck me as a very stupid kind of fat looking.

like just how wide his body is. Dragonite pulls off the chubby/fat look pretty well imo, but salamence always looked way too rotund for how quick he's portrayed in the show/his speed stat.

like just how wide his body is. Dragonite pulls off the chubby/fat look pretty well imo, but salamence always looked way too rotund for how quick he's portrayed in the show/his speed stat.
I blame the Shelgon phase. But yeah, he does appear a tad too rotund I guess (barrel chested? Looks like he thins out a bit in the back)...then again, considering Dragonite apparently can circle the world in 16 hours with its tiny wings and pear body, yeah lol...weirder stuff does happen.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think it is just charitable that Gamefreak would hire someone colorblind to design a single pokemon is all.

Primitive-ass dragon. He doesn't even have an erect gait.

Guess I must be one of the few who like Sally's design lol...I always thought it looked nice, as we had a dragon Pokemon that actually looked like a dragon for once, not a pear (Dragonite) or ancient seahorse (Kingdra). Or the ostrich (Altaria) or overgrown bug (Flygon) in Gen 3.

Also, Mewtwo > Garchomp if you want strongths Pokemonz. Nothing oozes power like a homicidal Frankenstein creation instead of a land...shark...thing.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'd do competitive battling with my favorites, but there are too many for me to pick 6.

All base-stage non-Legendary Electric types are adorable except for Voltorb, Rotom, and Stunfisk, for the record.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)