Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 24 (READ THE OP)

Hey, guys. Something's been bothering me lately (actually, a few things have)...

1. I've been brainstorming a Battle Tower Team lately, and in it, Uxie, Heatran and Latias are viable choices. The problem is, due to the fact that our computer can't download an ant or it'll have a heart attack, I can't RNG them. Worse, I've already caught Uxie, and it's not pretty. (To give you a rough idea, it's Niave. NIAVE!!!!) As for Latias, I haven't beaten the E4, so it's not wandering yet, and Heatran is still waiting for me in that one Mountain, so all hope isn't lost. So, that brings me to my questions: If I realease Uxie, will go back to that cave so I can try to catch it again with better results?

2. Is there any way I can give some information about my games to you guys so you can RNG for me? Or is that too much work/impossible? (Particularly for Latias...)

3. (This is a completely different question) In the Battle Factory, the AI switched Pokemon before it fainted. Why would the AI switch so I can be prepared for it to do so in the future?

Edit: Aw... Well, I suppose you can't ask for everything. I'll work around it. What sucks, though, is that I had something really brilliant going on... Oh, well. Thanks for your honesty!

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
No.

Yes, but it would be a huge pain. I'd ask over in Wifi, but it would be a huge nuisance.

There are a few instances programmed into the game in which Battle Frontier Pokemon will switch, such as being choice-locked into an immunity. Mostly, though, you don't need to bother with it, because there are so few times that it will.

What is the best non smogon EV spread for a bulky dragon dance dragonite. I want it to be a non smOgon spread since max hp is not needed on my team.

In the battle castle in SS if I rank up my pokemon during a streak and then lose the next time I start a streak over do I lose any rank ups that I got the previous streak?

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Lazy 800th Post...

In the battle castle in SS if I rank up my pokemon during a streak and then lose the next time I start a streak over do I lose any rank ups that I got the previous streak?
Yes you do. All your Castle Points, All your Rank Ups All gone if you lose.

Need help completing team

Need help completing Battle Tower team
Hello, I have found two Pokemon that should be great at the battle tower but I need help finding the third Pokemon to nail the 100 win streak. Could someody please help me?
My team for now is

Metagross (adamant)
Evs 252HP 252Att 4Def
Moves Earthquake, Explosion, Bullet Punch, Rock Slide
item: Life Orb
I was thinking using Metagross as my lead since he doesn't have many weakesses and can hit pretty hard with a simple bullet bunch.

Latios (Timid)
Evs 252 Spa 252 Spd 4 Hp
Moves: Thunderbolt, Surf, Ice beam, Psychic
item: Lum Berry
I really want to use this Pokemon since he can get rid of nearly any Pokemon thanks to his various moveset.

And Pokemon number three, I have no clue... Everything I've tried failed, I lost pretty early in the battle tower, around the 40th trainer.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

You want something that can reliably beat ghosts/dark/bug types which Latios is weak to and Metagross is only neutral to. I'd use Ice Punch or Iron Head over Rock Slide on Metagross as well. Ice Punch goes well with EQ (yes, so does Rock slide, but ice punch has higher Base Power and accuracy and OHKOs most dragons and Gliscor). Plus, Ice goes well with Latios' Thunderbolt as well.

Latios might be better off with Expert Belt. Otherwise, I'd actually even go with Latios @ Life Orb and Metagross @ Lum Berry instead. Why? Latios is fast and often OHKOs opponent before taking a hit, while Metagross is slow and would often have to take a hit before moving, meaning that it might be paralyzed/burnt/asleep before being able to attack, so lum on Metagross might be better.

As for what last pokemon to use. First thing that came to mind is Togekiss which resists Bug/Ghost and has Aura Sphere for taking on dark types (Metagross can take on Weavile). Twave/Air Slash/Aura Sphere/ Roost or Wish @ Leftovers seems fine. It does make team have 2 ice weaknesses.

Alternatively, if you want more assurance in getting to the 100 win streak mark, you should consider using a Trick-Scarf team. Look on the first page of this thread and click on the various Battle Tower team descriptions to have an idea of how those types of teams work: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52858

According to the "Competitive Clauses" section of Smogon's "Introduction to Competitive Pokémon (D/P)" article, the "Self-KO Clause" is as follows:

If both players have only one Pokémon left, moves which KO both the user and the opponent are not allowed (e.g. Explosion, Destiny Bond). If recoil damage would cause a tie, Self KO Clause does not activate, and the player who last attacked is the winner.

By "not allowed," does this mean that Selfdestruct/Explosion will fail (as if there was a Pokémon on the field with the Damp ability) if used, or would a game-tying Selfdestruct/Explosion result in a loss for the user (like in Nintendo tournaments)? What about Destiny Bond and Perish song; do they simply fail if both players are down to their last Pokémon (like in Nintendo tournaments)?

Athenodoros

The interpretation that Pokemon Online uses is that they do happen, except that you lose afterwards if you activated the clause. I don't know about the Wifi community: I believe they count draws, but you'd have to ask there. It also doesn't mean as much now that tournaments generally do not use Self-KO clause and laddering doesn't enforce it either.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If I rank up during 1 streak, win, then start another streak do the rank up's carry over to that next streak or do I start over again but I just get to keep the CP I had?
During your Streak, you don't have to have the same Pokemon for each round of 7. So all Rank Ups & Castle Points you have remain for the rest of the streak. The only real possible way to start a new streak as far as I can see is by either retiring or losing, & that makes your Castle Points & Rank Ups disappear. In other words, If you start a new streak, all rank ups & Castle Points are gone.

Staraptor or Togekiss

Thanks for the reply. I will do what you said concerning Metagross and Latios. But I don't really like Togekiss so I was thinking of using Starraptor instead to sweep tje rests of the team with Close Combat, Brave Bird, Aerial Ace, what third attack should I teach it? What item should I give it?

Athenodoros

I'd go with Quick Attack. It is very useful to have priority in the battle tower. It might also be worth holding focus sash, to stop hax involving setup sweepers or Quick Claw.

I'm playing Heart Gold...
I'm trying to breed an adamant technician Scizor, using a Male Adamant Scizor obtained from a Japanese event (A friend traded it to me) and a Female Adamant Scyther as parents
The female Scyther holds an EverStone, and the male one the training item that passes the attack IV to the children
Out of 20 eggs, no Adamant Scyther come out, I'm clueless...
I've tried to swap the hold items (Male with the everstone and Female with another item) and breed more eggs, but again, no one was adamant
Any help?
I'm tearing my Hair out...

@chiefzelda: If you are going with Staraptor:
- I wouldn't use Focus Sash because that totally goes against Brave Bird and its recoil. However, if you want to use sash, then use Endeavor+Quick Attack+CloseCombat+Aerial Ace/Brave Bird... I personally wouldn't though.

- U-Turn for last slot with Choice Scarf and lead off with it is fine. In that case, you can use Adamant instead of Jolly and only needs to have 142 speed for outspeeding +Speed Electrode, with the scarf.

- Choice Band might be better off with Quick Attack (but U-Turn still works. Just use Jolly).

- If you don't like choice items, use Life Orb, but if life orb is taken up already, Silk Scarf with Quick Attack and Double-Edge (+Brave Bird+CloseCombat, no aerial ace) will be ok I guess.

Alternatively use Toxic/Flame Orb Swellow, but that thing won't be able to switch in on anything other than Ghost and Ground moves (Staraptor can switch into a bit more but it's not like it's bulky either).

EDIT: I suppose you can use Sharp Beak if you have both Brave Bird and Aerial Ace.

I'm playing Heart Gold...
I'm trying to breed an adamant technician Scizor, using a Male Adamant Scizor obtained from a Japanese event (A friend traded it to me) and a Female Adamant Scyther as parents
The female Scyther holds an EverStone, and the male one the training item that passes the attack IV to the children
Out of 20 eggs, no Adamant Scyther come out, I'm clueless...
I've tried to swap the hold items (Male with the everstone and Female with another item) and breed more eggs, but again, no one was adamant
Any help?
I'm tearing my Hair out...
I could be wrong, but IIRC the everstone trick does not work with international parents. So i guess that kinda blows for you.
Get yourself another parent, or continue doing it in the long way.Cause it becomes a matter of luck now.

So I have a question about rules of Pokemon battle and I'm not sure where to ask it.

I battled my friend (off of Smogon, Serebii, or any other Pokemon Website or simulator) and I used a Latias with a choice scarf. She used to be OU here on Smogon, and is allowed in the battle tower and at all Nintendo tournaments (as long as she has no Soul Dew). Basically my question is whose rules supersede? Nintendo's or Smogon's? Or can this question even be answered?

The answer is it depends on where you are battling. If you are just battling with your friend, then just battle your friend with pre-agreed upon rules. It could be OU, it could be UU, it could be Ubers, or no legends or no EV trained pokemon or whatever with whatever clause.

Otherwise, it's just Nintendo rules for Nintendo tournaments and Smogon rules for Smogon tournaments, obviously.

Is there a good guide out to EV training spots on HG/SS, I can't seem to find out and it would make training a lot easier? Or does anyone know a good spot for Atk/Spd/HP?

Hutch3 said:
Is there a good guide out to EV training spots on HG/SS, I can't seem to find out and it would make training a lot easier? Or does anyone know a good spot for Atk/Spd/HP?
The 4th Gen EV training manual contains a handy list, which can be found here.

ok, that's my first post ever... If I raise, for example, a charmeleon, up to level 99 and then evolve it, will it's evolution be weaker than a charizard evolved at level 36? Sorry, if i'm being noobish...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)