Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 24 (READ THE OP)

if i have a t-tar with 0 iv's in all stats i will get a totally different result than a t-tar with 31 in all stats. it makes all the difference.

Yeah, I know that IV's have a huge impact on the overall stat, but shouldn't my tyrannitar have only gained 63 points in both stats (252/4) or maybe 2 or 3 extra points? I can understand 65 speed, but 73 attack? that's an extra gain of ten points. I just don't understand that.
S.B. 25 atk IV's and 3 spd IV's :'(

edit: When I said I didn't think it would make a difference, I meant it shouldn't make such a huge difference in one level. I know it has a total effect of (max) 31 overall, averaged over the 100 levels, but 10 points in one level is just ridiculous.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
if i have a t-tar with 0 iv's in all stats i will get a totally different result than a t-tar with 31 in all stats. it makes all the difference.
Semi-Correct. Do not forget that the Pokemon's Nature also influences how much a stat goes up when leveling up, & also the fact that there is the obligatory x-y point increase whenever one goes up a level too.

Ok, I understand that IV's influence overall stats. I understand that natures have a 10% influence on total stat as well. I just don't understand how it could have gone up 73 atk in one level. EV gain aside (should be 63 points), that's still 10 atk unaccounted for.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
I've just calculated the stats using the stat formula (I'm assuming a +Atk nature, fractions rounded down)

(((25[IV]+(2*134[Base Attack])+0[EV's])*99[Level])/100)+5)*1.1[Nature]=324 Attack
(((25[IV]+(2*134[Base Attack])+252[EV's])*100[Level])/100)+5)*1.1[Nature]=397 Attack

That's a difference of 73. Hope that answers your question.

Thanks, but I still don't understand why it gained such a huge amount. I can account for about 66 of it, but the other 7 points (which is still a lot) doesn't make sense. But thanks anyway, you're help is appreciated.

Edit: I think I have realized exactly why it gained like it did. 63*1.1=70 (because pokemon games round up), plus the three random gain. Could that possibly be it?

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Yes. If you didn't invest EV's, your Tyranitar would have 327 Attack (Fractions rounded down), & then your nature & EV's, which woud be 324+3(No Attack investment)+(63+7(EV investment))=397, which explains the +73 Attack boost. There you go!

@geovanicaon: If you have a DPP game, it's best to just get coins from there ($10000 for 500 coins), since it's infinitely faster. Otherwise, yeah, like Fatecrashers said, only way is to get better at the game, but it's no where as fast as just being able to buy them in DPP.

Ok, so i just finished ev training my Persian, and it has 244 hp. The strategy pokedex on smogon says that it has a minimum of 271 hp. Can someone please explain to my why it dident at least hit the minimum?

Ok, so i just finished ev training my Persian, and it has 244 hp. The strategy pokedex on smogon says that it has a minimum of 271 hp. Can someone please explain to my why it dident at least hit the minimum?
Is it Level 100? Also, the min/max stats on the Strategy Pokédex assume a 31 IV. Yours is probably lower. A 244 HP stat would correspond to an IV of 4.

It's not considered legal to use the Ditto glitch to breed event moves onto Pokémon, such as Extremespeed Zigzagoon or Wish Chansey, is it?

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
If you are just battling, then just tell people and most won't mind. They generally only care about everything being possible within game mechanics. If you are trading, then make sure you say what you did, but many people still won't mind because you are not actually hacking.

When I trade a pokemon to someone, it's happiness is reset to 70. If that person trades it back, will it still have 70 happiness, or it will have the same value that it had before trading?

I'm a big pokemon fan, and this community seems like a very intelligent one filled with people who know what they're doing, and that excites me. However, I'm not all that interested in competitive pokemon battling (I love to build teams, but I don't like "playing to win".) How welcome are people like me here?

I don't know if this is the right thread, but...
Anyways, I RNG'ed this thing here:

-murkrow

IVs: 21/24/31/31/30/31 l ability: super luck
Nature: modest

anyway, I came up with a couple movesets for this guy.

@life orb
252 spA
252 HP
4 spe
~air cutter
~dark pulse
~nasty plot
~roost

The point of this set is basically setup sweeper. Comes in, nasty plots up, roosts off damage, proceeds to kill. Air cutter because with it's ability, super luck and AC's high chance for a crit, is great. also, it becomes a base 82 power attack, which is actually pretty good. dark pulse is alternate STAB, nasty plot to boost spA power.

OR

@burn orb
252 spe
124 spD
100 def
28 spA
~psycho shift
~roost/ substitute
~Air cutter
~Nasty plot

I find this is more of a crippler, especially for a physical attacker. It's purpose is to psycho shift a burn onto enemy pokemon, roost/ sub for protection. Same plan as above for AC and nasty plot. I am unsure about it's EVs.

Okay, on a more directly pokemon note, I want to do a run of SoulSilver with a 3-mon team of Typhlosion, Victreebel, and Umbreon, in honor of my older sister who raised an identical team to Lvl 100 on an Old Gold version. Could I get some advice on good movesets/held items/EV spreads for such a team? I'm not going to be doing any breeding, so Egg moves are out of the question, as is Hidden Power.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
I'm a big pokemon fan, and this community seems like a very intelligent one filled with people who know what they're doing, and that excites me. However, I'm not all that interested in competitive pokemon battling (I love to build teams, but I don't like "playing to win".) How welcome are people like me here?
Everyone is welcome. There are areas of the forums not about competitive battling, like Smeargle's Studio (for art), A Forum (for stuff), and others. There is also the Wifi forum, for things like breeding and battling in-cart.

As for you second question, my only advice is that you don't need any. You'll find it reasonably easy with just three Pokemon in-game. Just try to get reasonable coverage and power behind your moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)