All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

kjdaas

this girl rly slapped some letters together huh
is a Community Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Whats the HP Softboil mechanic for chansey in RBY? Can anyone briefly explain it too me
I can pm you a very detailed link with why it happens and at which hp's for all mons, but for chansey soltboiled fails at these HP numbers:
703 - 255 = 448 (64%)
703 - 511 = 192 (28%)
In general the rule is: Every HP recovery move fails when your current HP lost equals 255 or 511. This includes Rest, Softboiled and Recover.

I’m developing a revamped RBY metagame. Would I try to get a thread approved here in “ruins of alph”? Or in “other metagames”?
When I did it, I went through the 'Pet Mods' section in 'Other Metagames.' It didn't get very much attention there though. Also they didn't like that it wasn't continuously being updated (I considered it finished so I didn't really have any reason or excuse to keep posting) so they ended up archiving it. I feel like OMs/Pet Mods are more popular/accepted when they're constantly being changed around, but that's just my whiny self.

I was always too scared to ask if I could post a Violet thread in RoA because I'm
timid.png
It might be worth asking a mod about it though (or just doing it tbh) since I really think it's hard to get attention in OMs. Either way good luck with your mod, I hope people try it and it goes great~!

When RSE (or ADV or whatever) OU stall teams don't have Skarmory, how do they deal with setup sweepers?
Normally another phazer of some sort. Suicune, Swampert, and Zapdos are the most common, although other Pokemon may also carry Roar, such as Swampert or Tyranitar.

Normally another phazer of some sort. Suicune, Swampert, and Zapdos are the most common, although other Pokemon may also carry Roar, such as Swampert or Tyranitar.
When I was looking through the sample teams, I noticed that Draco Malfoy's stall team had no roar or whirlwind anywhere. How does that team work?

Celebi's Perish Song can also force switches in a pinch, as can Leech Seed, and generally serve similar purposes to Roar/Whirlwind, only delayed.

I am asking about the exact rules of Pokémon Yellow's Link Battle mode on the original Gameboy, as I wanted to replicate it with a friend on Pokémon Showdown. I have been searching all over the Internet all week and have not been able to find the answers.

1. Is 'Colosseum 1' simply 'anything goes'?
2. Does your opponent see your team beforehand like in Pokémon Stadium?

I know that 'Colosseum 2' has 3 sets of rules; Pika Cup, Petit Cup and Poké Cup with a maximum of 3 Pokémon per battle.

3. Do you bring a 6 Pokémon team to choose from into the match, or only 3?
4. Do you see your opponents Pokémon and their levels before selecting your 3 Pokémon like in Pokémon Stadium?

Thank you for your time and help.

Hello. In this replay, my Zam is slower than the opposing Exeggutor while the two mons are paralysed: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-787347962

Does somebody know why?
For the future, please indicate what turn number you want us to look at. But, I'm guessing that at some point your Zam's special dropped. Special drops, if you're paralyzed, also lower your speed in Gen 1. In fact, if your opponent makes ANY status change and you are paralyzed, your speed drops. So if you are paralyzed, and your opponent ...

Uses Kinesis (lowering your accuracy), your speed drops
Uses Amnesia (raises his own special), your speed drops
Uses Psychic and gets a drop (lowers your special), your speed drops
Uses Bubblebeam and gets a drop (lowers your speed), your speed drops even more
Uses Agility (raises his own speed), your speed drops

Etc etc.

For the future, please indicate what turn number you want us to look at. But, I'm guessing that at some point your Zam's special dropped. Special drops, if you're paralyzed, also lower your speed in Gen 1. In fact, if your opponent makes ANY status change and you are paralyzed, your speed drops. So if you are paralyzed, and your opponent ...

Uses Kinesis (lowering your accuracy), your speed drops
Uses Amnesia (raises his own special), your speed drops
Uses Psychic and gets a drop (lowers your special), your speed drops
Uses Bubblebeam and gets a drop (lowers your speed), your speed drops even more
Uses Agility (raises his own speed), your speed drops

Etc etc.
Oh thank you.
Yea myb should have indicate the turn. ^^'
And how does it drop? Is that divided by 3/2 then 2 etc.?

Hi I would like to know the mechanics of encore in gsc. I feel fairly certain that in later gens what happens is you use the move after your opponent's pokemon has performed a move himself, thus forcing a switchout. The description of encore on smogon forums and even bulbapedia seem adequate and essentially say that the move fails only if the target uses struggle or mimic etc. or runs out of PP.

YET in a battle with jumpluff against a sleep talking ampharos when I used encore it failed, even though it didn't say anything about sleep talk or status in general.
Hence I was wondering: "in gen 2 does the Encore user have to be present on the same turn the target does the move for it to work?"

Oh thank you.
Yea myb should have indicate the turn. ^^'
And how does it drop? Is that divided by 3/2 then 2 etc.?
It's a reapplication of the Speed cut by paralysis, so it keeps getting quartered (so from 1/4 to 1/16 to 1/64). The same thing happens to burn's halving of Attack. It's a weird bug caused by the actual stat and the stat modified by status being stored separately. Another fun result of the bug: when a paralyzed mon uses Agility or a burned mon uses Swords Dance, they'll ignore the stat drops from status.

So, let's take Zap vs Bro as an example:

Zap outspeeds initially, so Zap TWaves Bro and Bro Twaves Zap.

Next turn, both are using their stat modified by status, so Zap still outspeeds. Zap uses Tbolt and Bro uses Amnesia.

Both are still using their stat modified by status, but Zap's Speed drop is now reapplied, so Bro outspeeds. Bro uses Amnesia again and Zap uses Agility.

Zap's Speed drop from paralysis is applied a third time (so it's at 1/64), then totally ignored and Zap's Speed becomes double what it originally was (game switches back to using the original Speed, still stored in a separate value, and doubles that). Zap will then usually KO Bro even at +4 Special, always with a crit, shouldn't have stayed in :P

Edit: Bro's Speed, should it happen to survive, will now be quartered again cuz Zap modified a stat. If Bro's fourth move was Blizzard for some reason, it would almost always OHKO that Zap. Last mon BlizzBro, so that's why you stayed in :o

Last edited:
And one final note on the speed drops: they stop at 1, meaning after a few status moves back and forth between paralyzed foes, they'll be speed-tied. Which means sometimes your Zam would go first, sometimes the opposing Egg would go first, etc. Once that starts happening, you can probably assume you're both at 1.

Hi I would like to know the mechanics of encore in gsc. I feel fairly certain that in later gens what happens is you use the move after your opponent's pokemon has performed a move himself, thus forcing a switchout. The description of encore on smogon forums and even bulbapedia seem adequate and essentially say that the move fails only if the target uses struggle or mimic etc. or runs out of PP.

YET in a battle with jumpluff against a sleep talking ampharos when I used encore it failed, even though it didn't say anything about sleep talk or status in general.
Hence I was wondering: "in gen 2 does the Encore user have to be present on the same turn the target does the move for it to work?"
It only fails on Sleep Talk called moves. If you e.g. use Sleep Talk while awake and the opponent uses Encore, it works.
The other moves that can fail against Sleep Talk called moves are Counter and Mirror Coat.
So basically, if a pokemon used Sleep Talk while asleep, Encore (Counter and Mirror Coat) will fail. I believe this are the only ones that would fail in that scenario, at least I'm not aware of more relevant moves that could fail here.
Why they fail? I don't know, probably never was being accounted by the developers of the game when they wrote the games code. Or it was intentional. Anyway that's how it works.

Is there post where I see mechanics for RBY? Also HP for Chansey where it no heal
There have been a few articles on the topic, but p sure nothing beats Crystal_'s post in the Research thread, found here.

I think you're talking about a Soft-Boiled glitch with the latter part. If a Pokemon's health is 255 or 511 HP less than their max, healing moves like Soft-Boiled and Recover will fail. Kinda similar to how 100% accurate moves have a 1/256 chance to miss~

Arceus isn't banned in Gen 4 Ubers, is it? I can't find any mention of it on the site, but when trying to build a team on Showdown, it says that Arceus is banned.

arceus was unavailable for the majority of the generation and thus it is banned. a tier with the 100 max evs in each stat arceus allowed exists, it's called "farceus" but it isn't dpp ubers.

Is there a good thread/article discussing and comparing the pros and cons of OU across different gens?

I'm assuming this is something that has been discussed before, but I find it difficult to search. Haven't played for a few gens, and was looking to find out which gen I'd enjoy most/ "is most consistent".

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The game gets increasing less "consistent" after Gen 3 as increasingly powerful attacks and items continue to get added to the game and so many viable pokemon exist that it becomes literally impossible to build a team that isn't just totally run over by the wrong mon/set. That's about all that can be said that doesn't venture into opinion territory.

Why do almost all RSE OU stall teams have Gengar and Swampert? Is there something in particular that only they can switch into?

Why do almost all RSE OU stall teams have Gengar and Swampert? Is there something in particular that only they can switch into?
Gengar provides a much needed spinblocker to keep spikes up that also has some offensive pressure. The other ghosts in the generation (Dusclops) are rather underwhelming despite having more bulk.

Swampert provides a bulky water and Rock-resist in one slot, along with Roar support, meaning it becomes the main stop to Tyranitar, Aerodactyl, set-up sweepers, and other mons bulky waters generally stop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)