Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Read FAQ in First Post Before Asking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a timid Hydreigon (252 s.at 252 spe 4 hp) with the moves:
Dragon pulse
Dark pulse
Flamethrower
Surf

It will see most usage in the battlesubway as a life orb sweeper, but i reccon it could do well as a life orb/scarf/specs user in wifi battles aswell, especially in my level of competition.
My question is this, i'm thinking about replacing either flamethrower or surf with U-turn.
Any advice on what move should get shafted? And please explain why aswell :)

I have a timid Hydreigon (252 s.at 252 spe 4 hp) with the moves:
Dragon pulse
Dark pulse
Flamethrower
Surf

It will see most usage in the battlesubway as a life orb sweeper, but i reccon it could do well as a life orb/scarf/specs user in wifi battles aswell, especially in my level of competition.
My question is this, i'm thinking about replacing either flamethrower or surf with U-turn.
Any advice on what move should get shafted? And please explain why aswell :)
Toss Dark Pulse. Surf and Flamethrower have coverage you need; Dark Pulse doesn't do anything useful.

aaw :( that was the hardest move to get on him :< Gonna have to think about this.. thanks for the advice
I personally like dark pulse on him. With a scarf he can flinch hax things to death and duel stab is nothing to laugh at. Also Jellicent will wall you without it.

Hum, so what move would you skip then?
Well that's up to you with the abundance of steel types I would recommend keeping flamethrower and swapping out surf as fire and ground types will take decent damage from dragon pulse or dark pulse anyway.

It really is up to you though.

This has probably been asked before, but does Quick Ball grant 4x catch rate on the first turn only then 1x thereafter (as it states on bulbapedia) or 4x on the first time, then 3x, 2x and finally 1x after that (as stated on pokemon wiki)?

Well that's up to you with the abundance of steel types I would recommend keeping flamethrower and swapping out surf as fire and ground types will take decent damage from dragon pulse or dark pulse anyway.

It really is up to you though.
I'd have to agree with Misty, flinch hax has been really helpful and it's a fairly decent stab attack, my favorite dark one at that (besides taunt) but it's up to your team really and I'd have to say surf/flamethrower.

Need help finding a Lead

Hello Smogon,
Could somebody please indicate me a couple of leads and their movesets/EVs please for 5G?
I have tried many different things and nothing seems to work... In my team I want to have Latias wish support, Metagross and Salamence. The other two I'll find on my own but the last and lead Pokémon I really need help please.
I've tried deoxys-S, Hydreigon, Conkeldurr, Machamp, Politoed, aerodactyl, metagross
Chiefzelda

I think im gonna start out with removing surf then, both surf and flamethrower can be relearned realy easy...

thanks for all the help :)

Hello Smogon,
Could somebody please indicate me a couple of leads and their movesets/EVs please for 5G?
I have tried many different things and nothing seems to work... In my team I want to have Latias wish support, Metagross and Salamence. The other two I'll find on my own but the last and lead Pokémon I really need help please.
I've tried deoxys-S, Hydreigon, Conkeldurr, Machamp, Politoed, aerodactyl, metagross
Chiefzelda
There is a reason for none of them work in a reliable way. The very basic idea of lead does not exist in Gen V, thanks to team preview.

I suggest that you build a complete team first and using team preview yourself you choose in every different battle which poke is better to lead with;

Example: after seeing your opponents team there is nothing really threatening to your Stealth rocker, so lead with it. Or you see the hippondow and you know it has SR so you lead with a taunter and etc.

There is a reason for none of them work in a reliabe way. The very basic idea of lead does not exist in Gen V, thanks to team preview.
I guess there are still some fundamentals of lead left. That being that if you wanted to have stealth rock up then you would lead with a Pokemon capable of guaranteeing that it's other three moves being things that could deal with magic mirror types etc.. That would seem like the most basic idea for a lead this gen.

You are right however most standard variation leads are pointless and more creative ideas are needed in their wake.

EDIT: You edited with my point. Oh well.

I'm building my first Gen V team, and this is for battling with friends only (so no Ubers, but Aldaron's proposal can f*** off as none of us like it). We do tend to stay away from weather, though that's not a 100% rule, just something we as a collective are not fond of. I know my main threats are generally Curselax and non-Scarf Starmies, so I need ways to get around both of them.

Anyways, I'm wanting a U-turn spamming team, with powerful physical attackers and the odd special in case I get walled. With that in mind, what's a good team revolving around:

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Adamant

HJK
U-turn
HP Ice

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant

Bullet Punch
U-turn

They are the main users of Uturn jumping to mind that I like, but I have no idea what to put with them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This has probably been asked before, but does Quick Ball grant 4x catch rate on the first turn only then 1x thereafter (as it states on bulbapedia) or 4x on the first time, then 3x, 2x and finally 1x after that (as stated on pokemon wiki)?
To my understanding, its 4x in the first five turns, and then 1x after that.

@Treadshot: first of change mienshao nature to jolly; being able to outspeed Scarfchomp is great, specially with hp Ice, that i think you put primarly for gliscor but still.

If you have problems with starmie, Ferrothorn basically wall hers to no end and also gives you leech seed and hazards support , something like U-turn spam teams will enjoy, since it force switches.

But that give you a crippling weakness to fire pokes, so maybe a variation of heatran.

On the U-Turn team, I'd recommend running your own Starmie in there, personally, if only for some solid Spin support, since entry hazards will otherwise shred you completely.

Also helps deal with the Fire types that Cotton mentioned you being weak to otherwise.

Currently breeding a special Kingdra for Battle Subway, after hours of breeding I got the right combination of Nature and Abiity, but the Power items didn't work that well...

Modest, Swift Swim
31/31/31/26-27/10-11/26-27
Moveset will be entirely special.

Keep it or try again for hours to get Modest Swift Swi with better SpA und SpDef? I won't lose on anything in Battle Subway with this little speed loss, I think, so that's not that much of a problem. But the lack of SpDef hurts.

Currently breeding a special Kingdra for Battle Subway, after hours of breeding I got the right combination of Nature and Abiity, but the Power items didn't work that well...

Modest, Swift Swim
31/31/31/26-27/10-11/26-27
Moveset will be entirely special.

Keep it or try again for hours to get Modest Swift Swim?
Since it's for the Subway, the Speed doesn't have to be perfect.

If I have an Air Balloon Excadrill and I use Rapid Spin versus Ferrothorn, will Iron Barbs pop the Balloon?

thanks in advance

If I have an Air Balloon Excadrill and I use Rapid Spin versus Ferrothorn, will Iron Barbs pop the Balloon?

thanks in advance
I.. kinda wanna test that out in Double Grass.

Edit - Excadrill & Ferro against Sawsbuck & Mienfoo

Excadrill used Rapid Spin on Ferrothorn, Iron Barbs activates, nothing else happens. Then, Sawsbuck pops the Balloon proving that Iron Barbs does nothing to it.

Confirmed that Iron Barbs doesn't pop its Air Balloon.

Anyone know of a good pokemon to counter for a Water/Ice weakness on a Sandstorm team?

Preferably in a single pokémon, as I've got 5/6 who fit in beautifully.

Blazin Kickin Chicken, Virizion:

That effect is correct; my description for Air Balloon reads, in part:

"If a non-holder hits the holder with a damaging attack, this item is consumed."

Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs is an Ability, not a "damaging attack"; thus Air Balloon is not affected by that Ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)