Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the most common item for Politoed in people's experience? My guess would be Scarf, but Wacan and Water Gem can also be good.
I see wacan most of the time online, but scarf sees some use as well. Water and Ice Gem are more rare because Toed is super slow and will often die before it can move.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Lagging Tail doesn't alter speed, just priority on attacks. You may be thinking of Iron Ball.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Idk if this was asked here already or not, but I may as well post it.

When Keldeo gets released, is it allowed in VGC play this year?

Two pokemon are on your side of the field. One of them uses Protect. The opponent uses a multitargetting move like Heat Wave. The one that didn't Protect, will it take 100% normal damage or 75% because the move was supposed to have 2 targets?

Does a partner take 100% or 75% when you hit them with something like Earthquake?

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Two pokemon are on your side of the field. One of them uses Protect. The opponent uses a multitargetting move like Heat Wave. The one that didn't Protect, will it take 100% normal damage or 75% because the move was supposed to have 2 targets?

Does a partner take 100% or 75% when you hit them with something like Earthquake?
-75%, since there were two targets for Heat Wave to hit.
-An ally will take 75% from Earthquake, unless both of the opposing Pokemon have fainted before using the attack.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ban list for official metagames has always included event-only mons (even in VGC 2010), I'm 100% certain Keldeo will be banned. Pretty sure it's only not on the current list because it wasn't revealed at the time, and official policy is unrevealed = doesn't exist.

Ban list for official metagames has always included event-only mons (even in VGC 2010), I'm 100% certain Keldeo will be banned. Pretty sure it's only not on the current list because it wasn't revealed at the time, and official policy is unrevealed = doesn't exist.
Okay here's what I was mainly trying to say, to avoid confusion. Keldeo is released in approximate 1 week (aka jap BW2 time). But say we get a legal version of it in the U.S. before nats, if they don't change the rule-set and include Keldeo in banned (They specifically only list pokemon instead of categorizing) we should be able to use it right?

I don't care too much but I'm just pointing out a possible new threat if the tournament organizers in U.S. overlook this. I mean it's a Japanese Pokemon so those organizers will most likely notice. But if it's not American there's always a chance organizers may not realize

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay here's what I was mainly trying to say, to avoid confusion. Keldeo is released in approximate 1 week (aka jap BW2 time). But say we get a legal version of it in the U.S. before nats, if they don't change the rule-set and include Keldeo in banned (They specifically only list pokemon instead of categorizing) we should be able to use it right?

I don't care too much but I'm just pointing out a possible new threat if the tournament organizers in U.S. overlook this. I mean it's a Japanese Pokemon so those organizers will most likely notice. But if it's not American there's always a chance organizers may not realize
You can only use Pokemon with Pokedex numbers between 1 and 646. Keldeo is 647. It is banned.

Whenever I'm introducing people to the VGC metagame, they're often surprised and astonished whenever I say Hitmontop is one of the biggest threats all teams should watch out for. They often question me as to why, but I've never really been able to provide a solid, concrete answer other than "He supports well." I mean, I know he's an amazing Poke, but I have to try an convince other people that he's actually threatening.

So I question this, so I can explain to them well: for what exact reasons is Hitmontop insanely popular in the VGC metagame?

Whenever I'm introducing people to the VGC metagame, they're often surprised and astonished whenever I say Hitmontop is one of the biggest threats all teams should watch out for. They often question me as to why, but I've never really been able to provide a solid, concrete answer other than "He supports well." I mean, I know he's an amazing Poke, but I have to try an convince other people that he's actually threatening.

So I question this, so I can explain to them well: for what exact reasons is Hitmontop insanely popular in the VGC metagame?
Intimidate, Fake Out, Mach/Sucker Punch, strong fighting-type attacks (very useful attacking type), somewhat bulky, etc.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'd say because he's so versatile even with just a handful of moves. Good priority with Fake Out/Mach Punch/Sucker Punch, good team support with Intimidate and Wide Guard, and good KOing ability with Close Combat, not to mention enough bulk to take almost any neutral hit.

I have questioned Hitmontop's power recently myself. Like people have said, he makes great support with Intimidate, Fake Out, etc. then kills stuff with Gem Close Combat. Remember, though, there are 3 Psychic types in the VGC's Top 10 most used who don't even need to put ketchup on Top before eating him. Cress has an easy 2HKO and isn't hurt much by Sucker Punch, which Cress needs to be attacking for. Meta doesn't even take half from non-Gem Close Combat and OHKO's with Zen Headbutt(I think Meteor Mash also if Top is at -1). Latios can Sub around Sucker Punch then OHKO with Psychic. Way more then just those won't have real trouble with Top. The versatility is just great, though.

On another note, Hitmontop seems to be particularly good against teams staying away from popular stuff because they lack particularly solid counters.

I have lost my ds and am having to use a different system for the upcoming competition. I know that when you use a different than original system some wifi things change like friend code. Will this affect anything related to VGC like POP ID?

Re: Hitmontop

I would say it's because a strong Fighting-type move is almost mandatory for a well-balanced team, and Hitmontop comes to mind most often because of its extra doubles utility, as mentioned above.

(Conkeldurr and Infernape need more love though)

Dumbsun 9.9

He said it's important to have a fighting type move, not just hitmontop. Top just happens to be a good fighting type for doubles. And guess what he's right l0l.

As a bit of a note from me as well, top is very useful against bad players but awful when you're against good ones. That's basically how it works.

(so yeah if you're getting beaten regularly by hitmontop you do suck sorry)

I have questioned Hitmontop's power recently myself. Like people have said, he makes great support with Intimidate, Fake Out, etc. then kills stuff with Gem Close Combat. Remember, though, there are 3 Psychic types in the VGC's Top 10 most used who don't even need to put ketchup on Top before eating him. Cress has an easy 2HKO and isn't hurt much by Sucker Punch, which Cress needs to be attacking for. Meta doesn't even take half from non-Gem Close Combat and OHKO's with Zen Headbutt(I think Meteor Mash also if Top is at -1). Latios can Sub around Sucker Punch then OHKO with Psychic. Way more then just those won't have real trouble with Top. The versatility is just great, though.

On another note, Hitmontop seems to be particularly good against teams staying away from popular stuff because they lack particularly solid counters.
Well against Latios and psychic type whom are top 10 you really wouldn't use hitmontop unless you have to. For example your starting 2 and backup 2 are solely what you see on your opponents team like if I see 1 good pokemon that can kill my hitmontop and like the rest who are prioritize on attack i'd be tempted to use hitmontop just for the sole purpose of slowing their pokemons down. I mean it's great versatile and takes lot of strategy on how to use him right. Not an argument more of a point I want to make lol

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion
Dumbsun 9.9

He said it's important to have a fighting type move, not just hitmontop. Top just happens to be a good fighting type for doubles. And guess what he's right l0l.

As a bit of a note from me as well, top is very useful against bad players but awful when you're against good ones. That's basically how it works.

(so yeah if you're getting beaten regularly by hitmontop you do suck sorry)
Haha, I had just woken up! Sorry Six. In that case, yes, of course he's right, I meant to state the importance of a strong fighting type move in my post.
Good players can almost always beat him. That is entirely true.

Alright hopefully this is a simple question. My Garchomp is sitting on a Choice Scarf with 252 speed and atk evs, 31 speed ivs, and an adamant nature. My question is how many speed evs can I safely give up and still out speed most major threats, such as 1 speed boost blaziken, non choice swift swim kingdra, latio/as, salamence, and anything else that'd be a major threat? I just feel he's unnecessarily too fast and those evs could go else where.

Alright hopefully this is a simple question. My Garchomp is sitting on a Choice Scarf with 252 speed and atk evs, 31 speed ivs, and an adamant nature. My question is how many speed evs can I safely give up and still out speed most major threats, such as 1 speed boost blaziken, non choice swift swim kingdra, latio/as, salamence, and anything else that'd be a major threat? I just feel he's unnecessarily too fast and those evs could go else where.
I don't think you will be able to outrun max speed timid kingdra unless it's a more bulkier spread, but I think 252 speed adamant is necessary, since you get that small speed drop. Don't change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)