Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Here's a novel idea. How about we don't speculate what we're getting with regards to next year, and get this thread back on topic of simple and relevant questions, with some helpful answers from other users. I don't particuarly think what we MIGHT get next year is relevant, so let's nip that one in the bud, and look back to VGC 2012, which hasn't even reached fever pitch yet.

Does anyone know whether or not renamed event Pokémon (done by RNGing a game with the same trainer ID as the event Pokémon) are considered legal by the hack checks? I know that OmegaDonut's shiny Manaphy is considered hacked even though it's not, and this seems like a similar situation.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's legal (yellow) on Pokécheck, but I have no idea what would happen if you tried to use it in an official event. Probably better not to risk it.

It should be legal but I don't like to take risks at all and even less if it is something as insignificant and no-battle related like a nickname.

In the worst case scenario, if they tell you it is hacked you can explain what you did and if the referee is knowledgeable there shouldn't be any problem but you are taking unnecesary risks. That's up to you

MattJ had an RNG'd worlds 09 weavile. He got caught on the hack check a couple times, but Mike Liesik let it go because it was a false positive.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
MattJ had an RNG'd worlds 09 weavile. He got caught on the hack check a couple times, but Mike Liesik let it go because it was a false positive.
I think what they're talking about is RNGing the Weavile to have your Trainer ID so you can nickname it, which would result in a Weavile with the OT: WORLDS09 with a nickname, which it isn't supposed to have. (pretty sure that's what they mean).

In any case, I certainly wouldn't risk that, because I'd be willing to bet an event Pokemon with a nickname will come up flagged. I was lucky (I was one of the two that had a problem with the Weavile; I explained it and moved on while another member was disqualified) because Marriland was at my event and in the area-he was doing the hack check-and I was able to tell him what the deal was. RNGing is already frowned upon, and doing that wouldn't help your case at all.

EDIT: That's not what made it come up as hacked, though, because the Weavile wasn't nicknamed

I think what they're talking about is RNGing the Weavile to have your Trainer ID so you can nickname it, which would result in a Weavile with the OT: WORLDS09 with a nickname, which it isn't supposed to have. (pretty sure that's what they mean).
That is what i meant. MattJ rng'd his ID/SID to be able to nickname the weavile.

if the referee is knowledgeable there shouldn't be any problem but you are taking unnecesary risks. That's up to you
Sound advice but just gonna stress this to everyone: don't put yourself in the mercy of the staff or indeed anyone else. WHO READ MY GUIDE?!?! (that got me banned lol) YOU SHOULD KNOW TO DO THAT ALREADY!!

Anyway the staff, while usually nice and helpful, definitely aren't always versed in pokémon very well if at all. SO DON'T DO IT :O

I need to contact Mike Liesik or any VGC representative, and I was wondering if any of you have their contact details and how to contact him/them. If anyone has their email id(s) it will be much appreciated if they can tell me here!

Anyway the staff, while usually nice and helpful, definitely aren't always versed in pokémon very well if at all. SO DON'T DO IT :O
Oh dear god do I know that.

The staff this year was all TCG people, leaving this old guy who obviously only got the instruction "Slide their cartridge into this thing and see if it says positive or not" to be our hack check.

That's why I do believe that next year, hack checking should be at the registration desk. It would only take a few seconds, and make controversy with other players less frequent than it has been this year.

I need to contact Mike Liesik or any VGC representative, and I was wondering if any of you have their contact details and how to contact him/them. If anyone has their email id(s) it will be much appreciated if they can tell me here!
http://support.pokemon.com/ is where you will need to go. Mike Liesik and the others who are in charge quite often answer these emails so you should be able to get an answer from them soon enough.

FYI - Mike Liesik is no longer in charge on the VGC. He got moved to the PTCGO team.

Im not really sure where you are supposed to post this, so if this isnt the place, please inform me of where to post this question. Thanks. =)
What is a good bulky status inducer? (Sleep, Paralysis, Posion, Ect...) For VGC 2012 Doubles

Im not really sure where you are supposed to post this, so if this isnt the place, please inform me of where to post this question. Thanks. =)
What is a good bulky status inducer? (Sleep, Paralysis, Posion, Ect...) For VGC 2012 Doubles
Amoonguss is pretty great for Sleep. Takes forever to go down, has some decent resists, and can draw attacks over with Rage Powder. Cresselia is good at offering Paralysis, as it is very bulky and can heal itself off with ChestoRest.

This is indeed the place to post your question!

Cresselia is the first thing that comes to mind for paralysis since it gets access to Thunder Wave. Thundurus can also be used, and is especially annoying since it has Prankster. Amoonguss is probably the most reliable sleep inducer with Spore. For burn, there might be a better one but Sableye is incredibly annoying since you can almost never OHKO it, it has access to Will-o-Wisp, and can use Recover over and over again with Prankster. Poison is the least useful status out of the four in VGC 2012, and I haven't seen any use for it but I guess Cresselia could utilize Toxic.

Amoonguss is pretty great for Sleep. Takes forever to go down, has some decent resists, and can draw attacks over with Rage Powder. Cresselia is good at offering Paralysis, as it is very bulky and can heal itself off with ChestoRest.
Amoonguss is good but kind of slow...
I was using this for a rain team which is pretty fast.
Cress could be good, Something that heals defiantly helps.

This is indeed the place to post your question!

Cresselia is the first thing that comes to mind for paralysis since it gets access to Thunder Wave. Thundurus can also be used, and is especially annoying since it has Prankster. Amoonguss is probably the most reliable sleep inducer with Spore. For burn, there might be a better one but Sableye is incredibly annoying since you can almost never OHKO it, it has access to Will-o-Wisp, and can use Recover over and over again with Prankster. Poison is the least useful status out of the four in VGC 2012, and I haven't seen any use for it but I guess Cresselia could utilize Toxic.
Thunderous doesnt have the greatest defenses though...
Rock and Ice are kind of common type moves

But Prankster is a great ability. I think I might go with Sableye or Cress

Thanks!!

What do you think is a good Moveset and Nature for a Rotom-C?
He's going on my Rain Team and he wants to try to counter threats like Gastrodon and such...

Also whats some other good pokemon to put on a Rain Team? I want to look out for Sun Teams becuase they cant be big threats...
I've Goten beaten plenty of times by them Sun Teams lol

Rotom-C@Sitrus Berry
Modest
Levitate
252 HP/252 SpAtk/6 SpDef

Thunder/Thunderbolt
Leaf Storm
HP Ice/Thunder Wave
Protect

Very simple set here, much like a standard Rotom-W. Thunder takes advantage of its perfect accuracy under Rain, and has boosted power over Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is only if you are worried enough about opposing weather, the power boost between them allows Thunder some 2HKO's on common threats like Metagross. Leaf Storm is just common sense, deals with Gastrodon. Without HP Ice some Dragons like Latios or Hydreigon will wall you, not having to use Leaf Storm and lower Sp Atk is also important in Garchomp's case. Thunder Wave will make opponents slower, yet Rain Mons tend to be a bit on the fast side anyways. If Rain isn't up lowering the opponent's speed will be a very helpful tool. Protect is Protect.

Rotom-C@Sitrus Berry
Modest
Levitate
252 HP/252 SpAtk/6 SpDef

Thunder/Thunderbolt
Leaf Storm
HP Ice/Thunder Wave
Protect

Very simple set here, much like a standard Rotom-W. Thunder takes advantage of its perfect accuracy under Rain, and has boosted power over Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is only if you are worried enough about opposing weather, the power boost between them allows Thunder some 2HKO's on common threats like Metagross. Leaf Storm is just common sense, deals with Gastrodon. Without HP Ice some Dragons like Latios or Hydreigon will wall you, not having to use Leaf Storm and lower Sp Atk is also important in Garchomp's case. Thunder Wave will make opponents slower, yet Rain Mons tend to be a bit on the fast side anyways. If Rain isn't up lowering the opponent's speed will be a very helpful tool. Protect is Protect.
Good Set there, Thanks!
I hope this will help the team...
This Set seems like it has pretty good coverage

So I sent email to playe cordinator about my 1st placement at regionals. They give me the hotel confirmation number. So now should I expect another email from them or no? Because I also don't know if for my friend what day he should go and pick up his allowance for VGC is it day before nats?

Also for the gas expense and such do I claim it day before nats? on the 29th (Canadian)

Has anyone tried using a Harvest Exeggutor with a Starf Berry?
Do you think it is any good?
Although that seems tempting, the stat that's raised is completely and utterly random. Outside of the sun, Harvest will only activate 50% of the time, so if you feel like you want to use it, you have to use it on a sun team. Even so, Chlorophyll Exeggutor outclasses it anyways, and Exeggutor is extremely easy to KO, so it can't even utilize the Harvest combo that well anyways.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Although that seems tempting, the stat that's raised is completely and utterly random. Outside of the sun, Harvest will only activate 50% of the time, so if you feel like you want to use it, you have to use it on a sun team. Even so, Chlorophyll Exeggutor outclasses it anyways, and Exeggutor is extremely easy to KO, so it can't even utilize the Harvest combo that well anyways.
There's also the issue that for a Starf berry to activate, Exeggutor must be below 25% HP. It probably won't live very long, even if it gets the boosts that it is looking for.

What's the most common item for Politoed in people's experience? My guess would be Scarf, but Wacan and Water Gem can also be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)