Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Politoed just runs standard bulky water moves, tyranitar well... stuff tyranitars do you should know that and uhh hippowdon's shit, ignore it, and ninetales just dies basically and uses what you'd expect it to. Sometimes people sash them which can be problematic but in all honesty if they're using ninetales you've probably won already.

So basically when you see a weather starter it's probably going to do exactly what you expect it to but it depends on who's using it. I could go into intricacies at worlds level with the likes of tyranitar (protect mindgames with ttar are intense) but that's irrelevant for now since as a general rule everyone plays terribly at regionals. Do not overpredict, ever, because it's why so many people lose. One of the worst aspects of this game is that if you think your opponent's better than they actually are, you're setting yourself up for a massive fall. Not gonna fall for that one again, let me tell you.

Thank you everyone for your help then. Any idea where I can find these analyses? And is Protect required on Tyranitar, and if so, what should it replace? Thanks for helping a noob at this.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
no one knows, but you can expect them by quarter 1 of 2012. If not by then early q2 of 2012.

EDIT: Dope >.<, thought you said april regionals.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
I'm just curious being I havent done swiss for a vgc, but when do they perform hack checks?

Also what is more ideal for toxicroak to have, 252 speed or 252 hp?

They performed random hack checks on us at Nationals, and eventually got through everyone I think. They checked me before R1 even started. At Worlds, we were all hack checked before R1.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I can guarantee they'll check them at every stop. They have those handy DS's that do the job now.

It really depends on what you're doing with the Croak. If you're like, Faking Out and Sucker Punching, you might want to put it in HP instead of Speed. If you're like, Cross Chopping, or Low Kicking, you might want at least some speed. It really depends.

I honestly don't know what I would do if they said my game was tampered with. I would probably cry. Also, what's a better support lead, Cresselia, or a Whimsicott? I just want to pretty much cripple, and then destroy with the other lead, but I also want to change the weather just in case my opponent has weather leads. For example, if they send out Ninetales, I'm gonna use Rain Dance. And vice-versa with Politoed or Abomasnow.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you're worried about the hack check, don't hack. They can't detect cloned Pokémon, and there's no reason to even consider doing anything more than that with so many people giving away VGC mons in the Wi-Fi forum.

If you're trying to cripple stuff, you probably want Whimsicott. Priority Encore is nasty, especially with Fake Out and Protect all over the place.

(I am not going to VGCs but was curious)
What if he passes it? Will we be kicked out for wasting time?

I called for a hack check last year at regionals because of some issue with there mon being faster than mine......They passed however and beat me and moved on to the next round. Basically I did some poor calculations and was wrong, but the judges were completly cool with it.

Was the guy you were battling annoyed with you? I mean, after you after you called the hack check, was he/she ticked or anything?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I called for a hack check in 09 against Mano (JPN). His Zapdos outsped my (paralyzed) Crobat and chose another move. It had only been paralyzed at the end of the turn before and died at the very beginning of the next turn, plus I was (read "still am") a noob, so I didn't notice it was paralyzed and thought something fishy was going on. After Marriland gave the carts back and everything had passed I asked the translator to apologize for me and let him know it was because of my confusion. He understood and wasn't upset. I can't say that every player will be as gracious, but seriously its just a game.

We don't even know if Regionals are going to be there yet.
If you're talking about Nats, this year Canadian Nats (for the TCG) were a week before American Nats which was on July 9th/10th, so I'm guessing around the first week of July.

Don't be hatin on my question if it's already been answerd, cause i can't find it.
How do people breed their pokemon and control their IV without cheating or hacks. Because before i never payed that much attention to IV on great lengths but a while back i saw a vid of a a vgc of a thundurus that was shiny and had a hiddenpower ice....
it wouldn't be possible to be just random luck right ?.....

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Don't be hatin on my question if it's already been answerd, cause i can't find it.
How do people breed their pokemon and control their IV without cheating or hacks. Because before i never payed that much attention to IV on great lengths but a while back i saw a vid of a a vgc of a thundurus that was shiny and had a hiddenpower ice....
it wouldn't be possible to be just random luck right ?.....
RNG manipulation. Short version: the RNG is determined partially by the time on the DS clock when you start the game, so if you start it at the right time, you can control what you get. Long version: see this thread.

It might look complicated, but it's really easy once you get the hang of it.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
I have a question. Lets say i have rotom-w, and gastrodon on my side, and my rotom uses hydro pump, does my own gastro absorb the attack causing gastro to become counter-productive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)