Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any other phone apps that are pretty useful? I have my iPhone but have not come across any reputable ones
There is an app called AAA Pokedex, it's a sort of bulbapedia for iphone and ipod, it has a pokedex with movesets, details, base stats, locations of every pokemon. it's very good!

Best water pokemon to support a Goodstuff team? One that can hit a Tyranitar hard but have good defenses to last for a good amount of turns. Any ideas? Good attack or Sp.A and good defenses is good for me.

This may be a noob question but where in the world did Skarmbliss go on the PO servers? I usually practice there and after PO2 came out I don't see it listed there. I don't see anyone mentioning anything about it and I'm extremely confused 0_o

This may be a noob question but where in the world did Skarmbliss go on the PO servers? I usually practice there and after PO2 came out I don't see it listed there. I don't see anyone mentioning anything about it and I'm extremely confused 0_o

Use advanced connection only on PO1 i believe.
184.190.218.182:5080

Don't think it's on PO2, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Is there a big problem with people disclosing details of others' teams to their friends, especially when someone is using an original or unpredictable strategy? For those of you who have had this happen against you, how did it affect your strategy?

In my personal opinion and limited experience, I think there are so many thousands of ways a team can be built and played, and there is never a guarantee of being truly unpredictable, as that is more about your own play-style and experience.
There is most certainly some extremely competitive teams and players, but I am sure if you ask most would happily keep your secret to themselfs and let you daze and amaze the next batch without spoiling the surprise.
If it is a extreme secret/game changer, best case is to try and keep it as close to your vest as you can, get your mons yourself or only one from each breeder, aswell as mix it up, battle with other strategies, and then just whip it out at worlds and be like, hey, Look at me now!

Also, Want to confirm, if I have a pokemon dreamworld account, with both a black and a white cartridge on it, I can access the dreamworld twice in a day, once on each right?

Can someone help me with some math?

What hurts more against a bulky water type: Heat Wave + STAB + Fire Gem + Sunshine, or Solar Beam?

I've tried the above-mentioned damage calculators, but I couldn't get any to work that had weather built in.

What hurts more against a bulky water type: Heat Wave + STAB + Fire Gem + Sunshine, or Solar Beam?

I've tried the above-mentioned damage calculators, but I couldn't get any to work that had weather built in.
Depends which bulky water you are talking about.

But I'd say Solarbeam would be more effective in the sun, considering that Heat Wave looses some power due to spread.

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion

Ok.
75(Assuming two targets for Heat Wave)x1.5=112.5x1.5(fire gem)=168.75x2(sun)=337.5/2(water resists fire!)and you get the prior amount, 168.75 power.
Solarbeam, when super effective, will have 240 power. This is also assuming water/ground types will have rindo, but if they didn't, you would have 480 power.
Solarbeam should always be a better choice, if you're looking for power.

Is there a big problem with people disclosing details of others' teams to their friends, especially when someone is using an original or unpredictable strategy? For those of you who have had this happen against you, how did it affect your strategy?
There was a "PokeIlluminate" going around Nationals this year where they target threatening players to try to figure out a way to beat some of the most solid teams. This is the first I've ever heard of this and sadly I was target and on the short end of that stick, going in with a large group of friends who knew exactly what I was using, and an even larger group who wanted to know everything about it. Even with that, I don't think it's THAT much of a problem because I played one of them out of the tournament and I won without much of a problem.

In general, I believe that it is very disrespectful to give away information about other people's teams such as items, moves, EV spreads, etc. especially if the information was given in confidence. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, in fact I am guilty of doing this myself as well as receiving advice from others about other teams. Many people want to see their friends succeed and are blinded by this desire and thus will go to many lengths to give them as great of an advantage as they can, but I think it would be better for the community and for the integrity of the tournaments if this practice were to end. Unfortunately, humans are vile and untrustworthy creatures and I doubt it will stop any time soon =[

I found an interesting article on Bulbapedia about the Japanese Beginning Cup Wi-fi Tournament, and the rules state that "The Beginning Cup is a Double Battle tournament that only allows Pokémon that are listed in the Unova Pokédex for Pokémon Black 2 and White 2. Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect are not allowed to be used in the tournament."

So this could possibly mean that VGC 13 will fall under these rules? If so, that would be a bit confusing to a lot of players, cause there are a LOT of popular Pokemon such as Politoed, Zapdos, Cresselia, and Hitmontop that will be banned.

It would be a little like last years VGC, where we had similar rules. This time is different, given that older Pokemon are in the new Unova dex, including Ninetails, who is the only auto-weather starter in that dex.

Yes the change back will be a little jarring, but it the autumn friendly is the same, I can see people coping. (Musharna is an amazing substitute to Cresselia)

Now for a question, mostly because I am a fan, but do y'all see Cinccino being a good choice with Skill Link out? It is fast, and can hit pretty decently, but is frail and can't do ANYTHING vs steels.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
One of the problems with giving away details regarding other people's teams in a tournament is people like talking about their battles. The more interesting the opponent's strategy, the more they want to talk about the experience with their friends or even show them a replay of the battle. I don't think this is something that should really be stopped since it makes the events less enjoyable and I don't think you could get people to stop anyways.

What I don't like is when someone finds out who their friend is playing in the next round (especially in top cuts) and warns them not to be caught off guard by something particular on that person's team, such as a Choice Scarf or unusual move, or otherwise shares info they know from seeing that person play or hearing about their team and offers advice (sometimes I'd even call it "coaching") to give their friend an [unfair] advantage. This happens all the time in TCG. It can really ruin surprise factors or other things that a player should have to play in the dark about until they can figure it out for themselves.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you lose because your opponent had information on your team, either you're not using a very good team or you're not a very good player. That's really the cold hard truth about this game.

What I don't like is when someone finds out who their friend is playing in the next round (especially in top cuts) and warns them not to be caught off guard by something particular on that person's team, such as a Choice Scarf or unusual move, or otherwise shares info they know from seeing that person play or hearing about their team and offers advice (sometimes I'd even call it "coaching") to give their friend an [unfair] advantage. This happens all the time in TCG. It can really ruin surprise factors or other things that a player should have to play in the dark about until they can figure it out for themselves.
Even if you do want to slip something in under the radar and surprise someone you can't rely on it for the win. You still need to have a solid foundation for your team based on synergy and Pokés that will get the job done.

The best example I can think of without thinking to hard (lol) is a Special Tyranitar. Not many people see a Flamethrower or Ice Beam headed their way, but even if they did it's still going to accomplish what you wanted it to because it's such a solid option.

I'm by no means ub3r l33t, however. If anyone can correct me, please do. I wouldn't want to be spreading bad advice, lol.

If you lose because your opponent had information on your team, either you're not using a very good team or you're not a very good player. That's really the cold hard truth about this game.
Wolfey lost to Ray at Worlds due to him directly counterteaming his Cofagrigus. I know this is an extreme, but there will always be a situation where you just cannot win due to that.

How many offensive and defensive pokemon should you have on a team? Do you guys believe that you should more offensive or defensive on a Goodstuff team? And what do you guys think of Hydreigon, is he worth putting on a team? Even though he can die fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)