BH Balanced Hackmons Central Resources

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
first off wrong calc, the correct one is 252 SpA Life Orb Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Rhydon in Sand: 116-136 (28 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

I think Rhydon has very useful niches in like you said Mixed sweeping and physcical walls, but does Muk-Alolan counter anything besides Contrarian Sceptile and non-Sheer Force MMY?
not really, this is why it's in d rank. fitting it on a team is extremely hard because it fills such a specific niche.

the thing with that magearna set you posted (and other flash fire steels) is that against contrary mmy in particular they take a concerning amount of damage from +2 psycho boost, so they're really pressured to stay healthy if they want to switch in.

+2 252 SpA Mewtwo-Mega-Y Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Magearna: 222-262 (60.9 - 71.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mewtwo-Mega-Y Fleur Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Muk-Alola: 139-164 (33.5 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 SpA Mewtwo-Mega-Y Fleur Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Muk-Alola: 185-218 (44.6 - 52.6%) -- 22.7% chance to 2HKO

magearna also provides defensive utility to the team like a soft -ate check, and it's a very good defog user. this is why it's above muk. but if your team doesn't need these benefits and instead just needs a hard counter for mmy and mscept, then muk is your best option.

Lopunny should be nominated to at least c rank. It has good neutral coverage, is immune to spectral thief and matches up against dark types, registeel and the occasional kyurem. Its main flaw is that running adamant causes it to be slower than gengar, but jolly misses the 2hko with photon geyser against zygarde. But regardless once fast/prankster ghost (who's lunala) or antipriority is gone, it can actually sweep through a lot of things.

Lopunny-Mega @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Photon Geyser

Ren

fuck it if i cant have him
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
+Steelworker, -Magic Bounce
Put Steelworker on Dialga, maybe over Magic Bounce or something. While the set is completely identical to Tinted Lens, Steelworker Z-Doom Desire off Dialga's Special Attack even unboosted is ridiculously powerful.
252+ SpA Steelworker Dialga Corkscrew Crash (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mewtwo-Mega-Y: 418-492 (100.4 - 118.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Steelworker Dialga Corkscrew Crash (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Kartana: 438-516 (136 - 160.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Steelworker Dialga Corkscrew Crash (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Giratina: 418-492 (82.9 - 97.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Steelworker Dialga Corkscrew Crash (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Regigigas: 442-522 (104.2 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and toxic damage

The power of this thing is ridiculous. While Core Enforcer is favored for Giratina and Regigigas most of the time, in cases where the opponent is using Misty Surge Giratina this thing can guaranteed OHKO Giratina after Rocks + a U-Turn from almost anything in the tier. That's not too hard to attain and it's something Tinted Lens just doesn't do. As for Regigigas, there are sets which shit on Core Enforcer, such as Avalanche and Mirror Coat. Albeit not common, Steelworker Z-Doom Desire lets you guaranteed check all PH Regigigas sets by just flat out OHKOing. I'm not denying Tinted's viability, but I'm simply stating that Steelworker offers you a lot more power on neutral targets, which can be really defining in a game.

+Steelworker, +Unburden, -Prankster, -Regenerator/Flash Fire
While it's pretty obvious what these two sets do, they aren't ranked for some reason. At the start of the generation, the abilities for Solgaleo were put down as the abilities for Necrozma Dusk Mane under the assumption that they would have similar roles. However, as the generation went on, it was proven that Dusk Mane had a more offensive role than its sister Pokemon, and as such these two sets emerged. Now, you never see Prankster Necrozma Dusk Mane and I'd argue Regenerator isn't all that common either - Flash Fire is the best defensive set. I can understand wanting to keep those, though, but I do think Prankster should be unranked in favor of one of the two options I've stated. No wall of calcs here, sorry.

-Regenerator
Regenerator Ferrothorn is quite bad. If you want a Sheer Force MMY check, run something that doesn't lose to Blue Flare MMY and half the meta while you're at it.

-Magic Guard
Yes, it has a niche, but no, it's not too viable in the current meta. U-Turn breaks Sash easily and Shedinja is the biggest U-Turn bait in the tier. I'd rather use Pixilate since Magic Guard doesn't even beat the stuff that walls Sturdinja but that's just me.

+Tinted Lens, -Dazzling
Dazzling Kartana has no reason to be run now that full EVs are out, since it can now capitalize on its decent physical bulk to effectively live priority. Sure, it's a little weak to MRay and KyuB's -atespeed, but I don't think the loss in power is worth the resistance to these two things. Tinted Lens Kartana also lets it click Sunsteel vs Registeel and promptly 2HKO, I'll take that since Flash Fire steels are reasonably common to wall Kart.

-Mold Breaker
This set doesn't really do much. Sure it gets rocks up but it compromises power. Sure it beats Flash Fires with V-Create but like it loses out on OHKOing other stuff. It's a decent offensive rocker but it doesn't really do much that you wouldn't rather have on other Deoxys-A sets or other mons period.

-Snow Warning
Simply put, I don't think never missing Blizzard and passively beating Shedinja is worth it over the power and nice priority that Refrigerate provides. KyuW is no Veil setter either.

-Prankster
This set hasn't been good all gen. It's an ORAS set with no business being run in Gen 7. Please remove this.

-Poison Heal
Ho-Oh is already pretty strapped for options, but if I were to run something over Magic Guard it'd definitely be Contrary. Poison Heal is like... Really bad, honestly, I'm not sure what it's doing on the VR.

+Sheer Force, -Dazzling, -Simple
These removals aren't nearly as important as the addition of a Sheer Force set, but this Sheer Force set does something Sheer Force MMY can't do without compromising stats. It 2HKOes Imposter with Bolt Strike (not sure if I EV'd properly so you may want to double check.) Aside from that, it's just a fast Sheer Force user with a decent STAB combination, threatening quite a bit of the meta. Sheer Force LO Ice Beam is to OHKO Mega Rayquaza.

that's just the abilities outta the way but i'll make a post on ranks soontm

My thoughts on nomination slate

zygarde-c a+ to a
The current state of the metagame is not as friendly to Zygarde-C. Giratina is arguably the better physical wall, as it can switch in thanks to its immunities far more often than can Zygarde-C. Getting STAB on Spectral Thief is really nice as well. The one advantage that zygarde-C has over Giratina is that the Unaware set has enough moveslots to trap and KO Regigigas, whereas Giratina's role is usually far more compressed as it also can handle some special attackers. That's not a good-enough reason to keep it in A+ rank.

solgaleo a to a-
no opinion

shedinja b+ to a-
The metagame is definitely a nicer place for Shedinja these days but I think the power and danger level of Shedinja is more in line with what is currently in B+. Tyranitar-mega can mow down unprepared or weakened teams. Yveltal can check a unique set of attackers due to its unique typing but still needs a fair amount of team support or it will get worn down or ohkoed. Shedinja is a similar boat, especially when it comes to needing team support to cover its flaws. It can also destroy unprepared/weakened teams but most players have multiple ways to handle it built into their team these days.

necrozma-dusk b+ to b
Agree, I have tried to use this mon several times on the ladder with patchy success. It's definitely less reliable than the B+ mons. All its un-outclassed sets are based on setup, which means that Prankster Pokemon, at worst, force a one for one trade with it. Though once it has set up successfully, and the prankster is gone, it can definitely go to town with the best of them.

blaziken-mega c to b-
Agree, it's better than almost all the stuff currently in C. Unfortunately Giratina is a huge problem for it no matter what set it tries running, and Giratina is annoying to kill, which means that it rarely gets a chance to break teams until Giratina has been removed.

deoxys-a b- to c
Agree

Kyogre-Primal A+ to S
Disagree, The Poison Heal setup sets are easily forced out by Core Enforcer and Entrainment mons unless they have the correct coverage and there just aren't enough move slots for all the coverage Kyogre wants. One trend on the rise is fully offensive Kyogre-p with Specs and an offensive ability like Primordial sea, and that set can actually do a fair amount of damage, 2hKOing non-Assault Vest Giratina with full-powered Water Spout. Still, it's usually hard-walled by Groudon-P, and it's slow so it's hard to get in, so it's not worthy of an S rank because of that. Regenvest is good, but it still is weak to strong breakers such as Specs mega Rayquaza or SF MMY with Bolt Strike. Its also prone to status, as even a simple burn can give it huge problems switching into the special attackers it is supposed to be countering. The Unaware set is rarely used now because it has very few useful resistances.

Mewtwo-Mega X A+ to B+:
I would demote it, maybe to A- but definitely not B+. Giratina sets wall most common versions of it and the ones it doesn't wall are a bit underpowered (Refrigerate/pixilate) or need a fair amount of team support (Shell Smash). Still, without Giratina, Zygarde-C or Mega Sableye, MMX will cause huge problems.

Slaking A to B-:
You should unrank it, it's no good except for final gambit. Totally outclassed by Regi in everything but hp.

Groudon A- to B:
Disagree, Groudon-p is just too good to sit in b+. With a lot of set versatility, a nice typing that gives it loads of cool resistances (fairy, bug, electric immunity), high-power stab moves, and a great ability that leaves it with only one weakness, plus insane bulk, Groudon does not need a demotion. Plus you can lure out its common checks with the Shell Smash Red Orb set; I can't think of many conuters to both sets actually besides MAYBE prankster Spore Registeel, or Assault Vest Zygarde-C.

Kangaskhan A- to B:
The metagame is more offensive than it used to be so Khang deserves to drop to B+. It's too slow to break through a lot of Pokemon, and mostpeople are running at least 1 Regenerator user which makes Nature's Madness much less effective (though the pressure exerted is still annoying and can be taken advantage of).

Ren

fuck it if i cant have him
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A+ to A: Disagree
While meta shifts have indeed been unkind to Zygarde, the toothpaste dragon still stands strong as it beats a lot of the metagame due to its impressive bulk. The bulk allows it to get around quite a few of its checks to the point where it's not enough to simply pack one Pokemon that beats Zygarde - Soundproof, Regenvest. Fur Coat and Prankster are all good choices for beating Pokemon that would attempt to check it via surprise Ice coverage. It's not one set that makes me disagree with Zygarde as individually, all the sets are probably A- to A. It's the versatility that Zygarde possesses which makes me disagree with this nom.

A to A-: Agree

B+ to A-: Agree

B+ to B: Disagree
While defensive sets are indeed eclipsed by other defensive behemoths in the metagame right now, offensive sets are where this Pokemon's worth lies. It's true that they all rely entirely on setup, but the raw power that Dusk-Mane possesses by virtue of its typing, bulk and signature Z-move definitely allow this flaw to be outweighed. It's hardly on par with stuff like Aegislash, Ferrothorn and Sceptile in terms of viability as well, at least in my opinion.

C to B-: Agree

B- to C: Agree

A+ to S: Disagree
While Kyogre is definitely a force to be reckoned with in the metagame, it hardly stands on the same level as stuff like MMY and MRay. It's definitely a good Pokemon but far from the best one in the metagame which is why I think it's fine where it is.

A+ to B+: Disagree
MMX is FAR from being worse than Kyogre-Primal, Groudon, Regigigas, Gengar, and Diancie. Its Adapt set is still really potent and it has the highest raw attack stat in Pokemon which allows it to run the listed abilities on the VR while also being able to run more. It has decent bulk for an offensive Pokemon and its speed is incredibly good as well. This isn't being dropped anytime soon, at least not to B+.

A+ to B-: No comment.
A- to B: Disagree
It's a potent sweeper with highly customizable coverage options and its base form is pretty decent as well. Being itemless and locked into Desolate Land is definitely a nerf but it has pre-Primal Illusion to make up for it as well as Desolate Land being a really good ability. Keep it as is for now, I was actually gonna nom this for a raise but I'll wait.

2HKOing the entire metagame, essentially ensuring nothing can switch in while also being self-Imposterproof is what this Pokemon's role is. This is definitely a role worthy of putting Kangaskhan on the same level as Audino and Groudon.

B+ to B-: Disagree
Across all of its offensive and defensive sets, it's definitely earned a spot in B+, as I would say that Gyarados is definitely as viable as its brethen in B+. While it's by no means a perfect Pokemon, losing to Diancie, MMX and Rayquaza, having STAB Dark and such a high base attack while also taking into account its impressive bulk and favorable speed tier definitely helps salvage it.

B to B+: Agree
B to A-: Agree, potentially to A as well.
B to C: Agree
B- to B+: Disagree
Celesteela has been nothing but an underwhelming Pokemon in my experience as it struggles to take common resisted hits such as MRay/MDiancie's Boomburst after Rocks and some other chip. Definitely not on the same level as Ferrothorn.

It's a decent Pokemon, but I just don't think it's that useful in the current metagame. Sure, it checks MMX, but pretty much every other offensive Pokemon gives it a bit of a struggle and defensive Pokemon carrying STAB special moves chip it for quite a bit too (Core Enforcer Giratina and Moonblast Mega Audino.)

UR to Ranked: Put it in C
C to B+: Disagree
I don't think it's that good, honestly. It's hardly on the same level as Yveltal, Tyranitar or Gyarados and it's definitely not better than Ferrothorn or Celesteela defensively either. It's fine where it is, maybe B- but that's as far as I'm willing to go. It's not weak to much but it's neutral to a lot and its defensive stats just aren't strong enough to compensate for that.

C to D: Agree

Gonna nominate one of my own, now.

UR to C (Tinted Lens, Swift Swim)
On the grounds that it has a really solid niche on weather as well as a very potent STAB combination, I believe Palkia absolutely does not deserve its current ranking. While 150 Special Attack is definitely good but not top tier, you can take a look at its typing as to why Palkia deserves this nom. While yes, Water hits nothing super effectively, it has STAB on one of the most potent offensive moves in the game, Water Spout. It's a fair criticism that it hits nothing super effectively, but with Specs Tinted Lens you don't need to hit anything super effectively as the set has next to no switchins defensively, period.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Palkia Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino-Mega: 274-324 (66.8 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Palkia Core Enforcer vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Zygarde-Complete: 326-386 (51.2 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Palkia Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Giratina: 312-368 (61.9 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ SpA Choice Specs Palkia Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 243-286 (66.7 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Palkia Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Gyarados-Mega: 180-212 (45.6 - 53.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Palkia Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 290-342 (82.3 - 97.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Swift Swim is a really good offense killer too but I won't dive too much into that getting kinda tired lul

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
While meta shifts have indeed been unkind to Zygarde, the toothpaste dragon still stands strong as it beats a lot of the metagame due to its impressive bulk. The bulk allows it to get around quite a few of its checks to the point where it's not enough to simply pack one Pokemon that beats Zygarde - Soundproof, Regenvest. Fur Coat and Prankster are all good choices for beating Pokemon that would attempt to check it via surprise Ice coverage. It's not one set that makes me disagree with Zygarde as individually, all the sets are probably A- to A. It's the versatility that Zygarde possesses which makes me disagree with this nom.

B+ to B: Disagree
While defensive sets are indeed eclipsed by other defensive behemoths in the metagame right now, offensive sets are where this Pokemon's worth lies. It's true that they all rely entirely on setup, but the raw power that Dusk-Mane possesses by virtue of its typing, bulk and signature Z-move definitely allow this flaw to be outweighed. It's hardly on par with stuff like Aegislash, Ferrothorn and Sceptile in terms of viability as well, at least in my opinion.

A+ to S: Disagree
While Kyogre is definitely a force to be reckoned with in the metagame, it hardly stands on the same level as stuff like MMY and MRay. It's definitely a good Pokemon but far from the best one in the metagame which is why I think it's fine where it is.

MMX is FAR from being worse than Kyogre-Primal, Groudon, Regigigas, Gengar, and Diancie. Its Adapt set is still really potent and it has the highest raw attack stat in Pokemon which allows it to run the listed abilities on the VR while also being able to run more. It has decent bulk for an offensive Pokemon and its speed is incredibly good as well. This isn't being dropped anytime soon, at least not to B+.

A+ to B-: No comment.
It's a potent sweeper with highly customizable coverage options and its base form is pretty decent as well. Being itemless and locked into Desolate Land is definitely a nerf but it has pre-Primal Illusion to make up for it as well as Desolate Land being a really good ability. Keep it as is for now, I was actually gonna nom this for a raise but I'll wait.

2HKOing the entire metagame, essentially ensuring nothing can switch in while also being self-Imposterproof is what this Pokemon's role is. This is definitely a role worthy of putting Kangaskhan on the same level as Audino and Groudon.

B+ to B-: Disagree
Across all of its offensive and defensive sets, it's definitely earned a spot in B+, as I would say that Gyarados is definitely as viable as its brethen in B+. While it's by no means a perfect Pokemon, losing to Diancie, MMX and Rayquaza, having STAB Dark and such a high base attack while also taking into account its impressive bulk and favorable speed tier definitely helps salvage it.

B to B+: Agree
B to A-: Agree, potentially to A as well.
Celesteela has been nothing but an underwhelming Pokemon in my experience as it struggles to take common resisted hits such as MRay/MDiancie's Boomburst after Rocks and some other chip. Definitely not on the same level as Ferrothorn.

It's a decent Pokemon, but I just don't think it's that useful in the current metagame. Sure, it checks MMX, but pretty much every other offensive Pokemon gives it a bit of a struggle and defensive Pokemon carrying STAB special moves chip it for quite a bit too (Core Enforcer Giratina and Moonblast Mega Audino.)

UR to Ranked: Put it in C
C to B+: Disagree
I don't think it's that good, honestly. It's hardly on the same level as Yveltal, Tyranitar or Gyarados and it's definitely not better than Ferrothorn or Celesteela defensively either. It's fine where it is, maybe B- but that's as far as I'm willing to go. It's not weak to much but it's neutral to a lot and its defensive stats just aren't strong enough to compensate for that.

Gonna nominate one of my own, now.

UR to C (Tinted Lens, Swift Swim)
On the grounds that it has a really solid niche on weather as well as a very potent STAB combination, I believe Palkia absolutely does not deserve its current ranking. While 150 Special Attack is definitely good but not top tier, you can take a look at its typing as to why Palkia deserves this nom. While yes, Water hits nothing super effectively, it has STAB on one of the most potent offensive moves in the game, Water Spout. It's a fair criticism that it hits nothing super effectively, but with Specs Tinted Lens you don't need to hit anything super effectively as the set has next to no switchins defensively, period.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Palkia Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino-Mega: 274-324 (66.8 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Palkia Core Enforcer vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Zygarde-Complete: 326-386 (51.2 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Palkia Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Giratina: 312-368 (61.9 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ SpA Choice Specs Palkia Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 243-286 (66.7 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Palkia Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Gyarados-Mega: 180-212 (45.6 - 53.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Palkia Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 290-342 (82.3 - 97.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Swift Swim is a really good offense killer too but I won't dive too much into that getting kinda tired lul
My concern for Palkia is Speed. Couldn’t Ash-Greninja use Water Spout (Dark blocks Prankster), and by virtue of going first, hit off higher HP and thus base power? It could use Primordial Sea or Tinted Lens and not need Swift Swim (saves you a mandatory Teammate to use Drizzle as an ability and a turn of switching). Plus it can check Groudon-Primal while Palkia with Swift Swim can’t switch into Desolate Land. Specs on Greninja is safer.

What about Scarf Mega Launcher on Palkia? Dragon Pulse, Origin Pulse, and Aura Sphere for soft Checks like Ferrothorn, Dialga, as well as for Gyarados-Mega, Greninja-Ash. Drizzle support can then be added to boost Mega Launcher powered up Origin Pulse, and the speed wouldn’t wear off with the weather (I.e. Sandstream Tyranitar coming in on a slow pivot).

Swift Swim might be too reliant on support. Why not just Primordial Sea and Choice Scarf? You get the same boost to Water Spout as Choice Specs, and now you can use Hurricane and Thunder to handle MMX, Venusaur-Mega, Gyarados-Mega, Kyogre-Primal, Slowbro-Mega, etc.

Palkia should get D rank, but it can’t stand much better on its own two feet than Greninja, especially with Fairy Types switching in on Core Enforcer and Dragon Tail.

RegenVest or Unaware might be unique Defensive options to check Kyogre, and other Pokémon that it resists for Fire, Steel, Water moves.
——

Attachments

Last edited:
My concern for Palkia is Speed. Couldn’t Ash-Greninja use Water Spout (Dark blocks Prankster), and by virtue of going first, hit off higher HP and thus base power? It could use Primordial Sea or Tinted Lens and not need Swift Swim (saves you a mandatory Teammate to use Drizzle as an ability and a turn of switching). Plus it can check Groudon-Primal while Palkia with Swift Swim can’t switch into Desolate Land. Specs on Greninja is safer.

What about Scarf Mega Launcher on Palkia? Dragon Pulse, Origin Pulse, and Aura Sphere for soft Checks like Ferrothorn, Dialga, as well as for Gyarados-Mega, Greninja-Ash. Drizzle support can then be added to boost Mega Launcher powered up Origin Pulse, and the speed wouldn’t wear off with the weather (I.e. Sandstream Tyranitar coming in on a slow pivot).

Swift Swim might be too reliant on support. Why not just Primordial Sea and Choice Scarf? You get the same boost to Water Spout as Choice Specs, and now you can use Hurricane and Thunder to handle MMX, Venusaur-Mega, Gyarados-Mega, Kyogre-Primal, Slowbro-Mega, etc.

Palkia should get D rank, but it can’t stand much better on its own two feet than Greninja, especially with Fairy Types switching in on Core Enforcer and Dragon Tail.

RegenVest or Unaware might be unique Defensive options to check Kyogre, and other Pokémon that it resists for Fire, Steel, Water Moves.
I agree with some of your points, however, speed isn't a concern for Palkia as its main goal without Swift Swim is being a Water type wallbreaker that can muscle through Giratina and Red Orb fairly easily thanks to STAB Draco Meteor and Core Enforcer. As a wallbreaker, 100 Base Speed and Modest is more than enough to outspeed every relevant defensive mon and hit it hard, so the speed is pretty irrelevant. Swift Swim Palkia is a pick on rain teams only which is kinda bad. This thing is turning into the Pogre vs Ashninja thing again BTW. Immunity to prank is pretty pointless as you aren't setting up and prank spore is a very rare thing to run. Palkia's bulk and basically equal speed tier for Red Orb as Ashninja means it is actually better at checking because it can come in on an attack (Smash is bad but so does Ashninja lose) and either set weather or threaten with Draco/Core. In terms of Mega Launcher it certainly is very cool but first Specs should be run and second it lacks a bit of power compared to Primordial Sea or Tinted Lens (Which BTW I think Primordial Sea is better due to the ability to force out more defensive mons and wreck havoc). IMO Palkia should definitely get C and for Fairy Types both Xern and Audino are not going to switch in to a possible Water Spout. Not going to go for B ranks as it receives too much competition from Pogre and the niche that it has to OHKO tina and threaten Red Orb, while very nice, isn't enough to rival Pogres unpredictability and high raw power (as well as bulk).

Anyways here are my thoughts on the Noms
Compared to tina this has higher bulk and no weakness to spectral thief. Really difficult to OHKO without set up or powerful ice type move. Other points are pretty much well summarized by previous users.

I supported this a long long time ago, surprised it hasn't dropped yet, definitely less good than before to take A rank.

Well summarized by previous users also I have little experience with it.

B+ to B: Disagree?

Offensive sets benefit from bluffing defensive sets and defensive sets might gain advantage from the threat of offensive sets all while possessing a good defensive typing and bulk allows it to be a solid pivot or sweeper. Compared to something like Megagross the Z-Move in offensive sets and possible defensive sets as well as a slow speed tier basically outclasses it. Its still a great bulky steel that does what a bulky steel does while being very nonpassive.

Much better than the rest of C, Tinted Band V-Create OHKOs Tina in sun and easily 2HKOs without so tina isn't even that bad. Honestly Tinted Band V-C is super hard to switch in to as most FF are steels which gets bopped by Close Combat apart from Aegi.

We discussed this already

A+ to S: Agree but perfectly fine with A+ too
It is a really splashable mon that can fulfill a number of roles with Unaware being an excellent check to stuff like Triage Ray, Regenvest to blanket check special attackers, and offensive sets to wallbreak and sweep. Very unpredictable and not passive. Likes the fact that not a lot of super effective moves are out there and thus is able to do its job well. Compared to MMY and Ray it is obviously less powerful in terms of offensive power but its versatility and utility in a team is excellent compared to those (who lack defensive utility apart from maybe offensively checking MMX).

Still a broken mon with extremely limited counterplay and is the main reason why Cresselia, Sableye, and Megabro and more common. Even stuff like Fur Coat Yveltal gets 2hkoed like wtf. Very centralizing in terms of teambuilding.

A+ to B-: Uh... IDK
Lol Illusion Smash is nearly impossible to stop with dual STABs and Fleur and defensive sets still pack enormous power and can check stuff like MDiancie without worrying about using a FF Steel which is very nice for Offense teams and Balance teams. Also the best counter apart from imposter to Offensive Kyogre. Can screw up weather teams too.

One of the best stallbreakers whose role is still very strong and nothing really appreciates switching in

B+ to B-: No opinion, leaning on disagree
B to B+: Sure?
B to A-: Agree
CB Steelworker Sunsteel is a pain to switch into unless you have stuff like FF Regi which can be bopped by Ground Coverage or Triage Drain Punch as there is quite a variety of sets, B is obviously too low and because this requires dedicated answers (most FF Steels aren't even that reliable) makes it A-Ranks material.

Yeah go to C basically outclassed by Zekrom as an electric type.

B- to B+: B is ok
Beating nearly all Xern sets with FF/Prim Sea is very good and while its bulk is lackluster the typing is good enough as most coverage on ground is Blades not Arrows. B- is a bit too low but B+ might be pushing too much

B- to B+: B and B+ are ok
An amazing MMX answer as well as a blanket -ate check (not -ize) with Soundproof is great role compression and since MMX answers that aren't super niche are pretty rare this deserves a higher rank.

I nommed this.

UR to Ranked: C or B-
Mono Psychic along with great bulk allows it to maybe answer MMY and solid answer MMX which is great in this meta of Mewtwo spam.

C to B+: B- I think is good
Everything is great but after using it when you are taking a chunk from a non-STAB u-turn from support mons and stuff like Core Enforcer its not that reliable and answering MMX. The turtle speed is excellent though and Spinblock is nice.

I nommed this.

I nommed this.

UR to C (Tinted Lens, Swift Swim) Agree but add Primordial Sea
Read chunk above

Phew (Thanks GL Volkner for the copy paste)

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Couldn’t Ash-Greninja use Water Spout (Dark blocks Prankster), and by virtue of going first, hit off higher HP and thus base power?
I don't see what Prankster mons would use that would target Ash-Greninja (other than Entrainment, which is fairly negligible). Additionally, you forgot the fact that if you switch in, Ash-Greninja would have to take a hit. Since it has worse defenses, it would likely have lower base power Water Spout (especially with 99% of all walls having U-Turn or Volt Switch). Another niche that Palkia has over it is a much better secondary STAB move in Draco Meteor and/or Core Enforcer, which threatens opposing Dragon-types.

Plus it can check Groudon-Primal while Palkia with Swift Swim can’t switch into Desolate Land.
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Palkia in Harsh Sunshine: 122-144 (31.7 - 37.5%) -- 88.5% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Palkia Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Groudon-Primal: 330-388 (81.6 - 96%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
1528173938044.png

What about Scarf Mega Launcher on Palkia? Dragon Pulse, Origin Pulse, and Aura Sphere for soft Checks like Ferrothorn, Dialga, as well as for Gyarados-Mega, Greninja-Ash.
Origin Pulse's problem is that it misses a lot, while not having enough power to justify using it over, say, Adaptability or Swift Swim (which allows it to hold Choice Specs).
252+ SpA Mega Launcher Palkia Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino-Mega in Rain: 303-357 (73.9 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Adaptability Palkia Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino-Mega in Rain: 270-318 (65.8 - 77.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Palkia Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino-Mega in Rain: 303-357 (73.9 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(obviously this is just one example but im super lazy right now)

also
252+ SpA Mega Launcher Palkia Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Dialga: 154-182 (38.1 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Drizzle support can then be added to boost Mega Launcher powered up Origin Pulse, and the speed wouldn’t wear off with the weather (I.e. Sandstream Tyranitar coming in on a slow pivot).
(saves you a mandatory Teammate to use Drizzle as an ability and a turn of switching)
Swift Swim might be too reliant on support.

For a more serious answer, Tyranitar-Mega in Sand is still outsped by Palkia and takes heavy damage:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Palkia Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 278-330 (68.8 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
In the case that it hard-switches, Palkia gets a free attack off before being free to switch out back to the Drizzle mon or some other teammate.

Why not just Primordial Sea and Choice Scarf? You get the same boost to Water Spout as Choice Specs,
Choice Specs boosts your secondary STAB and coverage moves too.

and now you can use Hurricane and Thunder to handle MMX, Venusaur-Mega, Gyarados-Mega, Kyogre-Primal, Slowbro-Mega, etc.
MMX: Water Spout (and even Steam Eruption) would do more damage off of Specs and Rain.
Venusaur-Mega: wtf
Gyarados-Mega, Kyogre-Primal, Slowbro-Mega: You're acting like Palkia wouldn't already use Thunder on its Swift Swim set. In fact, that set would be able to actually land the 2HKO on Kyogre-Primal (provided it's not RegenVest)
wtf Dragon Tail
also, I don't think that Fairy types would take Ash-Greninja's Dark types very hard, either.

For my own thoughts on Palkia, I think that it can do very well with a lot of support, but the fact that it relies on Choice Specs to beat fat tanks is fairly concerning, as it can then be toyed around with easily.

Mega Launcher is for Boosting it’s Dragon Pulse and Aura Sphere for its checks (Ferrothorn, Kartana, Dialga, etc.)
1528173281586.png

1528173294496.png

ok time to leave before this becomes a shitpost

Last edited:

MAMP

MAMP!
I've got a bunch of thoughts on the vr atm, but i'll wait because I believe there's an update coming soon. A lot of people have been discussing dropping Slaking, which is really baffling to me and makes me think that most of y'all have never actually used it. First thing's first: Slaking and Regigigas are almost identical. The only difference between the two is a slight difference in their bulk distribution. Every set that Regigigas can run effectively can also be run by Slaking. The suggestion to drop Slaking to B- while Gigas remains at A+ is bizarre: it makes no sense to rank two Pokemon that are almost exactly the same so far apart. SuperSkylake 's comment that it should be unranked bc it's 'no good except for final gambit' and is 'outclassed by Regi in everything but hp' is silly and made me realise that a lot of people have maybe never even actually considered Slaking or looked into what it has going for it, so I'll go over it.

The main difference between Slaking and Regigigas is in their bulk: Regigigas is bulkier on the special side, Slaking is bulkier physically. Also, Slaking's bulk is more in its HP, which means its imposter is slightly frailer, it takes less from stuff like metal burst, and it can pull off final gambit sets. Slaking also has better Special Attack; this is obviously almost never relevant, but there was a Core Enforcer + Shell Smash + Imprison Poison Heal Regigigas set going around a while back that probably would've been better if it were Slaking.

Slaking's extra physical bulk lets it take quite a few hits that Gigas can't:

252+ Atk Choice Band Steelworker Kartana Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Slaking: 409-483 (81.1 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Steelworker Kartana Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Regigigas: 384-454 (90.5 - 107%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

+2 252 SpA Gengar-Mega Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Slaking: 358-422 (71 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Gengar-Mega Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Regigigas: 336-396 (79.2 - 93.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Mewtwo-Mega-X Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Slaking: 414-488 (82.1 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mewtwo-Mega-X Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Regigigas: 390-458 (91.9 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Slaking also takes less from stuff like -atespeed, making it harder to revenge kill with those. The extra physical bulk and the way its bulk is distributed means that it can take on its imposter a lot easier as well, making it harder for the opponent to wear it down and then send in imposter and try to get lucky with a speed tie.

Most of this stuff is pretty inconsequential tho. Like I said, Slaking and Regigigas are very nearly identical, and in many games the difference between them will never matter. I think in most cases Regigigas is better for the standard Poison Heal, but Slaking is basically the same thing and I find it very hard to justify ever putting them in seperate ranks. There is absolutely no way that Slaking is a B- mon if Regigigas is in A+.

can we please unrank nihilego lol

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I don't see what Prankster mons would use that would target Ash-Greninja (other than Entrainment, which is fairly negligible). Additionally, you forgot the fact that if you switch in, Ash-Greninja would have to take a hit. Since it has worse defenses, it would likely have lower base power Water Spout (especially with 99% of all walls having U-Turn or Volt Switch). Another niche that Palkia has over it is a much better secondary STAB move in Draco Meteor and/or Core Enforcer, which threatens opposing Dragon-types.

252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Palkia in Harsh Sunshine: 122-144 (31.7 - 37.5%) -- 88.5% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Palkia Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Groudon-Primal: 330-388 (81.6 - 96%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
:thinking:

Origin Pulse's problem is that it misses a lot, while not having enough power to justify using it over, say, Adaptability or Swift Swim (which allows it to hold Choice Specs).
252+ SpA Mega Launcher Palkia Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino-Mega in Rain: 303-357 (73.9 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Adaptability Palkia Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino-Mega in Rain: 270-318 (65.8 - 77.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Palkia Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino-Mega in Rain: 303-357 (73.9 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(obviously this is just one example but im super lazy right now)

also
252+ SpA Mega Launcher Palkia Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Dialga: 154-182 (38.1 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

For a more serious answer, Tyranitar-Mega in Sand is still outsped by Palkia and takes heavy damage:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Palkia Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 278-330 (68.8 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
In the case that it hard-switches, Palkia gets a free attack off before being free to switch out back to the Drizzle mon or some other teammate.

Choice Specs boosts your secondary STAB and coverage moves too.

MMX: Water Spout (and even Steam Eruption) would do more damage off of Specs and Rain.
Gyarados-Mega, Kyogre-Primal, Slowbro-Mega: You're acting like Palkia wouldn't already use Thunder on its Swift Swim set. In fact, that set would be able to actually land the 2HKO on Kyogre-Primal (provided it's not RegenVest)

wtf Dragon Tail
also, I don't think that Fairy types would take Ash-Greninja's Dark types very hard, either.

For my own thoughts on Palkia, I think that it can do very well with a lot of support, but the fact that it relies on Choice Specs to beat fat tanks is fairly concerning, as it can then be toyed around with easily.

View attachment 120054
View attachment 120055

ok time to leave before i make this into a shitpost
You clearly took my posts out of context, I’d much rather you PM’d me but since you did it here Ill prove each point you made wrong, yet again:
I don't see what Prankster mons would use that would target Ash-Greninja (other than Entrainment, which is fairly negligible). Additionally, you forgot the fact that if you switch in, Ash-Greninja would have to take a hit.
Spore, Defog, Parting Shot, etc. (Defog clears hazards teammates may have set, while being a Dark type prevents them from being cleared by slow Prankster Defogers). Spore is still a thing, and Parting Shot is still a pivot move, albeit not as common.
Since it has worse defenses, it would likely have lower base power Water Spout (especially with 99% of all walls having U-Turn or Volt Switch).
Slow pivots do exist, as does sending in Ash-Greninja on a non-attack move, or a Psychic move. Why pretend it has to arrive in the middle of an attack? Palkia is more likely to take a hit because it is more likely to be outsped. I never said Greninja Ash wont take a hit... Plus wouldn't Palkia, being slower take 2 hits (the switch-in, and the turn it attacks going second?) Factor that 2nd hit in for Palkia... we cannot assume Palkia will outspeed like we can Greninja-Ash...
Another niche that Palkia has over it is a much better secondary STAB move in Draco Meteor and/or Core Enforcer, which threatens opposing Dragon-types.
Because of its Speed tier, Palkia is more threatened by Dragons since it is outspeed by many Dragon types, such as Contrary Necrozma-Ultimate, and Contrarian Rayquaza, or may face Dragons that are not threatened by it such as Dialga with its own Core Enforcer. Kyurem-B has to rely on Extreme Speed to outspeed Greninja, which it resists, and Ash Greninja can simply use use Ice Beam (for Primordial Sea versions) or Mega Launcher Dragon Pulse (like 2.5 base power lower than STAB Core Enforcer), to handle these Dragons. (Remember Ash Greninja has a little higher SpA, not for bragging, but just to acknowledge they will do around the same damage).
So you chose the move it resists, not the move it takes more from?
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Palkia: 217-256 (56.5 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Later on you mention that Origin Pulse isn't accurate enough, while forgetting that Draco Meteor is only 5% more accurate...
Also, ever heard of Misty Terrain Red Orb Groudon? Cut that power down in half: 252+ SpA Palkia Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Groudon-Primal in Misty Terrain: 109-129 (27 - 32%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
You chose a move that is 4x resisted, and I chose the Terrain that cuts it in half, I guess now we are even... Plus, my point on it being a 2HKO still stands, if cannot safely switch into Desolate Land, it has to be slow pivoted in, because without Stealth Rock, Groudon wont be 1HKOed, while Palkia will be KOed on the 2nd Precipice Blades (the switch-in, then the turn Groudon survives and hits again). Greninja doesn't worry about Fire moves with Primordial Sea, which is the point vs Palkia with Swift Swim.
But Choice Specs Adaptability's problem is that it may get hurt before it can complete the attack...
Plus, Adaptability only helps Steam Eruption and its Dragon STAB, while Mega Launcher can help boost Aura Sphere against Steels that resist it like Ferrothorn. It's a different purpose: Sweeping vs Wall Breaking... Plus Palkia runs on a weather timer (Setting is 1 turn, switching is a 2nd turn, and it has to ensure that while running Specs something doesn't switch in with Immunity such as a Desolate Land Groudon (which also removes the Rainy weather) vs Water STAB, or a Fairy type vs Dragon STAB). Least Greninja doesn't rely on an ability for Speed, a Mega Launcher Specs Dark Pulse is a 2HKO without fear of losing -2 SpA next turn, or a Fairy switching in to block it 100%:
252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Groudon-Primal: 280-331 (69.3 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Plus the 20% flinch is a nice touch.
also 252+ SpA Mega Launcher Palkia Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Dialga: 154-182 (38.1 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Again you are assuming worst case scenario, and excluding all others: 252+ SpA Mega Launcher Palkia Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dialga: 230-272 (56.9 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
And since it is Scarf, it'll for sure hit the next turn for the KO before Dialga can use Shore Up.
Uhh, you completely missed the point. It isn't to keep Tyranitar-Mega in, it's to remove the Speed. I mentioned a slow pivot into Palkia to safely change the weather, forcing you to have to rely on sending in your Drizzle for the speed boost. Clearly, no one doubt's Tyranitar is threatened by something it is weak to... Yes, it does get a free attack, and one that might no do very much depending on what you send in such as Imposter which has Eviolite, 4x resistance and huge HP. Plus, with Specs, you are locked in and forced to switch, while Imposter gets a free turn to use Draco Meteor or Core Enforcer and threaten your next switch-in, which might not be your Drizzle user. Plus, Imposter isn't Choice Specs locked...
Me: "Why not just Primordial Sea and Choice Scarf? You get the same boost to Water Spout as Choice Specs." You: "Choice Specs boosts your secondary STAB and coverage moves too."
Yes, but I mentioned the coverage moves of Hurricane and Thunder...
Why assume Water Spout is off of 100% HP, especially if you have to always switch in Palkia from a Drizzle setter? Clearly you assume Stealth Rocks is on the foe's field whenever Palkia attacks, like in your Groudon-Primal example, but Palkia never sees Stealth Rocks? Steam Eruption will do more damage, assuming there is Rain... The whole point of Scarf Primordial Sea is that you can never assume you will always be at 100% HP, nor can you assume you will always have Rain, hence permanent weather, while your set relies on switching in something and assuming it never takes damage, and always has Rain up... how convenient. Venusaur-Mega is used...
I am not acting like it wont use Thunder, I am stating that with Primordial Sea it can always use Thunder, since Swift Swim relies on Rain from a teammate for both speed and accuracy... I.e. If the Drizzle user is KOed, then Specs Palkia is basically worse than a Scarf Primordial Sea Palkia. Being self-sufficient has its perks...
wtf Dragon Tail
Again, taking my point out of context, as my very next line is:
"RegenVest or Unaware might be unique Defensive options to check Kyogre, and other Pokémon that it resists for Fire, Steel, Water moves."
So clearly, Dragon Tail is more so for Regen Vest sets, since it can pivot and force switches. Stop skipping my full context if you want to challenge my actual point...
I doubt a Diancie-Mega would risk switching into an Ash-Greninja for fear of taking a Water STAB attack, at least on the first attack. So depending if Diancie has a Hasty Nature or a Naive Nature, it will either likely 2HKO or always 2HKO, and if has Life Orb without Magic Guard, then for sure a 2HKO:
252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Diancie-Mega: 123-144 (40.4 - 47.3%) -- 53.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252- SpD Diancie-Mega: 136-161 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
If Diancie switches into Aura Sphere, however, it takes this damage:
252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Diancie-Mega: 164-193 (53.9 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252- SpD Diancie-Mega: 182-215 (59.8 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So Diancie-Mega has to be Pixelate to avoid being 2HKOed by Aura Sphere (i.e. Not Magic Guard), and still fears being 1HKOed by Origin Pulse on the switch-in. Diancie-Mega isn't a check until it knows Greninja is locked into, and even then it has to be Pixelate to avoid the 2HKO.
So basically you agree with my main points on the fact that needing weather teammates is alot of support, not to mention Hazard clearing for Water Spout, and reliance on Specs (with it being much slower) can hurt it if it has Tinted Lens or Adaptability since the foe can just switch in a good check/counter once it knows what moves its locked into.

If Swift Swim Palkia with Specs has about the same SpA as Greninja with Specs, and Greninja 127.5 base power (BP) in Mega Launcher Dragon Pulse vs Palkia's 150 STAB Spacial Rend (Draco Meteor loses power and may be less appealing and Core Enforcer only matters when slow). Thus Palkia's niche is only using Modest and more speed in the rain, while missing out on key coverage in Fighting and base power in STAB. Giratina, Necrozma, and Mega-Lati@s take much more from Mega Launcher Dark Pulse than Swift Swim Spacial Rend, which is key for the Water resists that are weak to both Dragon and Dark.

Specs Mega Launcher Greninja = No Rain: 120 BP Aura Sphere, 127 BP Dragon Pulse, 180 BP Dark Pulse, 247 BP Origin Pulse
Specs Mega Launcher Greninja = Rain: 371 BP Origin Pulse.
Vs
Specs Swift Swim Palkia's= Rain 120 BP Thunder (70% accuracy without Rain), 150 BP Core Enforcer, 247 BP Steam Eruption (165 BP without Rain), and 337 BP Water Spout (225 BP without Rain) only at 100% HP

Please stop clogging the thread with pointless graphics, intelligent facts are much more relevant to any discussion. I.e. See the facts in the hide tags.

Last edited:
Spore, Defog, Parting Shot, etc. (Defog clears hazards teammates may have set, while being a Dark type prevents them from being cleared by slow Prankster Defogers). Spore is still a thing, and Parting Shot is still a pivot move, albeit not as common.
90% of prankster mons look the same with haze recovery dbond attacking move. Note that none of these are targeting. Granted Prank Spore is a thing but say on Registeel which has a really high Prank usage Spore isn't even on the moveset list.
Palkia is more likely to take a hit because it is more likely to be outsped. I never said Greninja Ash wont take a hit... Plus wouldn't Palkia, being slower take 2 hits (the switch-in, and the turn it attacks going second?)
This is where you are getting confused. You are comparing a wallbreaker and a late game sweeper. Why should a palkia user switch in to something that is faster? I personally used specs rain pogre and I can say that getting it in for free on stuff it forces out like regi and aud. In the defensive side only incredibly rare mons like max speed Arceus and defensive ph timid xern outspeed. If you are using palkia against an offensive mon you are pretty desperate.
Mega Launcher Dragon Pulse (like 2.5 base power lower than STAB Core Enforcer)
100*1.5-85*1.5=15*1.5=22.5
:blobthinking:(Sorry if this is offensive)
So you chose the move it resists, not the move it takes more from?
Next you are comparing rain ashninja and ss palkia which isn't ideal, compare both rain sets would be better, again speed tier is the difference between a wallbreaker and a late game sweeper.
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Greninja-Ash in Harsh Sunshine: 314-369 (90.2 - 106%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
But Choice Specs Adaptability's problem is that it may get hurt before it can complete the attack...
Plus, Adaptability only helps Steam Eruption and its Dragon STAB, while Mega Launcher can help boost Aura Sphere against Steels that resist it like Ferrothorn.
Again more on speed issues. Also why use coverage against stuff like ferro when you have this: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Palkia Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn in Heavy Rain: 218-257 (61.9 - 73%)
Again you are assuming worst case scenario, and excluding all others: 252+ SpA Mega Launcher Palkia Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dialga: 230-272 (56.9 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
And since it is Scarf, it'll for sure hit the next turn for the KO before Dialga can use Shore Up.
No one would switch in non av dialga against a wallbreaker. Also for everyone scarf palkia is bad use specs thank. Regardless of scarf since dialga runs modest mainly if not av you outspeed anyways.
Uhh, you completely missed the point. It isn't to keep Tyranitar-Mega in, it's to remove the Speed. I mentioned a slow pivot into Palkia to safely change the weather, forcing you to have to rely on sending in your Drizzle for the speed boost. Clearly, no one doubt's Tyranitar is threatened by something it is weak to... Yes, it does get a free attack, and one that might no do very much depending on what you send in such as Imposter which has Eviolite, 4x resistance and huge HP. Plus, with Specs, you are locked in and forced to switch, while Imposter gets a free turn to use Draco Meteor or Core Enforcer and threaten your next switch-in, which might not be your Drizzle user. Plus, Imposter isn't Choice Specs locked...
As I said above ss is used only on dedicated rain teams with sufficient support although rain is still bad. Also without specs imposter is weak af.
Yes, but I mentioned the coverage moves of Hurricane and Thunder... Why assume Water Spout is off of 100% HP, especially if you have to always switch in Palkia from a Drizzle setter? Clearly you assume Stealth Rocks is on the foe's field whenever Palkia attacks, like in your Groudon-Primal example, but Palkia never sees Stealth Rocks?
More on taking damage, rocks can never be staying on the field for long before you clear it. I myself would never switch in a Spout user into hazards, would you?
Again no need to use coverage moves when water spout does enough damage.
Venusaur-Mega is used...
| 74 | Venusaur-Mega | 0.54958% | 1815 | 1.677% | 1069 | 1.674% |
Again, taking my point out of context, as my very next line is:
"RegenVest or Unaware might be unique Defensive options to check Kyogre, and other Pokémon that it resists for Fire, Steel, Water moves."
So clearly, Dragon Tail is more so for Regen Vest sets, since it can pivot and force switches. Stop skipping my full context if you want to challenge my actual point...
252 Atk Palkia Dragon Tail vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre-Primal: 79-94 (19.5 - 23.2%) -- possible 5HKO
Helping it gain health with regen is not a good idea.
I doubt a Diancie-Mega would risk switching into an Ash-Greninja for fear of taking a Water STAB attack, at least on the first attack.
So would any fairy type that fear the water spout from Palkia or Ashninja. He just meant (or she) that Fairies take both dragon and dark.
So basically you agree with my main points on the fact that needing weather teammates is alot of support, not to mention Hazard clearing for Water Spout, and reliance on Specs (with it being much slower) can hurt it if it has Tinted Lens or Adaptability since the foe can just switch in a good check/counter once it knows what moves its locked into.
And finally in terms of large support I suggest everyone go calc it and see it only needs to click water spout and the occasional Draco on Tina and don. Also, what does your Ashninja need, does it not run Water Spout, does it not run a choice item because if it doesn't run specs its really weak. Because it requires support thats why its C-Material.
If Swift Swim Palkia with Specs has about the same SpA as Greninja with Specs, and Greninja 127.5 base power (BP) in Mega Launcher Dragon Pulse vs Palkia's 150 STAB Spacial Rend (Draco Meteor loses power and may be less appealing and Core Enforcer only matters when slow). Thus Palkia's niche is only using Modest and more speed in the rain, while missing out on key coverage in Fighting and base power in STAB. Giratina, Necrozma, and Mega-Lati@s take much more from Mega Launcher Dark Pulse than Swift Swim Spacial Rend, which is key for the Water resists that are weak to both Dragon and Dark.
So you are comparing a mon with a offensive ability and a mon with a speed ability and you say one has more power. Also you would run Core Enforcer over Spacial Rend because acc and pp. Key coverage doesn't matter when you 2hko nearly everything anyway (kinda like Pogre but you have dragon coverage and you all lose to regenvest pogre iirc). Only tina matters in your set of dragons and dies to Draco/Core anyways.

I have 0 clue why we are doing this again when we are nomming palkia up. If you want to nom Ashninja go ahead and discuss but for now its Palkia not ashninja.

Last edited:

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Kyogre-Primal A+ to S:
Disagree. As others have said, Kyogre is still overpowered by specs sets but is definitely a premier special wall to remain in A+.

Mewtwo-Mega X A+ to B+:
Disagree. Adaptability sets don't care about usual counters and the amount of other sets you can run with success don't warrant MMX dropping.

Slaking A to B-:
Agree.

Groudon A- to B:
Disagree. I imagine set-up variants have a tougher time improofing but wallbreaker Pdon is still a huge threat with great typing and bulk. I don't see a reason for dropping.

Kangaskhan A- to B:
Disagree. While I'm not too experience with Kanga, I agree with others in that its unique ability to 2HKO everything should retain its ranking.

Gyarados-Mega B+ to B-:
Disagree. I think Gyarados is still a great mon to use both offensively and defensively. Yes, there are similar mons like Ttar and Yveltal but I believe Gyara is on par with them and deserves to share the ranking.

Arceus B to B+:
Agree.

Kartana B to A+:
I'd say A- over A+.

Xurkitree B to C+:
No comment / experience but sounds right in C.

Celesteela B- to B+:
Agree.

Slowbro-Mega B- to B+:
No comment / experience but its definitely good at stopping MMX.

Blaziken-Mega C to B-:
Agree. Blaze can be a huge threat if not prepared.

Steelix-Mega C to B-:
Agree. Walling Dragon/Electric is nice and so is 230 defense. An underrated steel.

Shedinja B+ to A-:
Leaning toward disagree but maybe just because my current Shed team is on a slump.

For the others, I'm not sure where Sableye should go but it will always cause problems for choiced MMX so that counts for something. I'd be fine with Nihilego dropping to UR mainly because I never see it but D sounds right. Palkia rising to being ranked sounds fine but it just seems like it struggles to find a role where it stands out.

I would also like to nominate, for at least the second time, Beedrill-Mega to be put in the rankings. I think Mega Bee deserves at least a little respect for its blazing speed and solid power. I've used a couple sets successfully and have seen others use it as well with success and I think it would fit in perfectly with the gang in D right now.

It can run No Guard sets to have powerful dual STAB moves without fear of missing or go with Mold Breaker to ignore things like Fur Coat, Magic Bounce, Flash Fire, and Shedinja. Other abilities it could take advantage of are Dazzling/QM, Tough Claws, or Tinted Lens. I have more experience with the first two I mentioned, but have seen some of the others run to moderate success.

The stealth rock weakness is a bummer and being walled by almost every Giratina set stinks a lot. But I believe that its speed, power, and unique role as a physical poison attacker sets it apart from other bugs (outside of Scizor, also in D) in that it is not walled by Fairies but rather pressures them and resists their STAB. Also, out speeding and KOing MMY comes in handy as well. I find that having Bee on my team immediately pressures opposing MMY and limits how much they are sent out.

Guess we will do another nom: Sceptile to B+
Current meta trends are very nice to Sceptile, as its dual stabs hit many top tier mons super effectively (15/29 non-steels) and neutrals don't want to stay in either. Most importantly one of the best special walls Regenvest Primal Kyogre loses to Sceptile which is really good. Having that Dragon STAB is great too to smack ZygTina. Its speed tier is also very good in this meta to abuse fast frail mons slower than it (Mewtwos, Gengar, etc). While Steel types resist its STAB combination and with FF take Fire type moves, Sceptile can easily overcome them with Contrary or Tail Glow/Seed Flare drops. In addition, it has a rare viable improof set in Soundproof, capable of sweeping or paving way for a teammate by eliminating Imposter through Devastating Drake. Its DQM set can handle all -ate/ize mons with STAB super effective. Overall a solid anti-meta pick that is better than stuff like Mega Chomp (too predictable albeit very good breaker) and Kyurem (Has like 1 good set) thanks to its good stat spread, recent meta trends, and its versatility through many sets such as Contrary, Soundproof, DQM, Sheer Force, and Tinted Lens. STAB special grass and dragon is really nice.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Chessking345 Your points are addressed:
90% of prankster mons look the same with haze recovery dbond attacking move. Note that none of these are targeting. Granted Prank Spore is a thing but say on Registeel which has a really high Prank usage Spore isn't even on the moveset list.
I have seen Prankster Defog, Spore, Parting Shot, Topsy Turvey, etc. And I know they were Prankster because I Mega-Evolved my Illusion Gyarados after setting up Hazards, and saw that these moves failed. (I.e. I did not use Taunt). This was from Ferrothorn, Registeel, Giratina, Zygarde, and others that are Hazers and that can be found rather commonly on teams (albeit Ferrothorn is the exception and is uncommon one)...
This is where you are getting confused. You are comparing a wallbreaker and a late game sweeper.
Um, actually I quoted your previous post on it being a Swift Swim wallbreaker, so I am aware it was a wallbreaker.... Also, I would argue that a fast powerhouse like Palkia, using Swift Swim and Specs is also sweeping a team. Yes, it is built for breaking walls like Giratina, but isn't it also sweeping anything that doesn't resist its Choice-locked move? If anything, they are both sweepers, Palkia simply doubles as a wall breaker hence similar coverage moves (Water STAB, anti-Dragon coverage moves)... similar SpA stat, and both holding a Choice Specs... Also, Primordial Sea Greninja breaks Primal-Don, while Mega Launcher Dark Pulse breaks Giratina: 252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Giratina: 462-546 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Does that make Greninja a wall breaker too, because they handle the same walls?
Why should a palkia user switch in to something that is faster? I personally used specs rain pogre and I can say that getting it in for free on stuff it forces out like regi and aud. In the defensive side only incredibly rare mons like max speed Arceus and defensive ph timid xern outspeed. If you are using palkia against an offensive mon you are pretty desperate.
I wasn't suggesting a Palkia user should come in on something faster, Anaconja was saying that my point on Greninja being faster and not needing Swift Swim was negated by the fact that Greninja has lower Defenses, and my argument to him was that if it is going to take a hit then its Water Spout wont be at full power either way. Further, my point was that it could sport its own rain through Primordial Sea, or use Mega Launcher Origin Pulse without needing a teammate (slower = getting hit before you use Water Spout). His point was that Greninja's speed allowing it to hit off full HP Water Spout was stopped by taking bigger hits on survivors, while mine was the fact Palkia is going slower than many opponents, so it will be hard to keep it at full HP/power (while Kyogre at least runs PH or healing moves). More over, my big point is: If Greninja has about the same power as Palkia, if not more, then it can 1HKO and keep its Water Spout at 100% which means that unlike Palkia, it doesn't risk getting hit first by the foe because it will likely make its move before them.
100*1.5-85*1.5=15*1.5=22.5
:blobthinking:(Sorry if this is offensive)
It was a typo, I already listed the format of 127 BP Dragon Pulse vs STAB Spacial Rend: "If Swift Swim Palkia with Specs has about the same SpA as Greninja with Specs, and Greninja 127.5 base power (BP) in Mega Launcher Dragon Pulse vs Palkia's 150 STAB Spacial Rend (Draco Meteor loses power and may be less appealing and Core Enforcer only matters when slow). Thus Palkia's niche is only using Modest and more speed in the rain, while missing out on key coverage in Fighting and base power in STAB. Giratina, Necrozma, and Mega-Lati@s take much more from Mega Launcher Dark Pulse than Swift Swim Spacial Rend, which is key for the Water resists that are weak to both Dragon and Dark."
Next you are comparing rain ashninja and ss palkia which isn't ideal, compare both rain sets would be better, again speed tier is the difference between a wallbreaker and a late game sweeper.
But with Swift Swim impacting Palkia's Speed, and thus its own Speed tier, doesn't that simultaneously make Palkia a sweeper? Tinted Lens and Adaptability make it a Wallbreaker because it adds power Greninja doesn't have (STAB Dragon Moves), and Swift Swim Palkia, if it is considered another Wallbreaker set, must by default be considered a Sweeper set (if Greninja-Ash is), because they literally provide the same coverage (anti-Dragon coverage, STAB Water, etc.), both have the same item, and are both used because of their high speed... Why else use Swift Swim Palkia over Tinted Lens Palkia if not to sweep Pokemon that it can 1HKO, now attacking first, (not just the slow walls).
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Greninja-Ash in Harsh Sunshine: 314-369 (90.2 - 106%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
You have actually taken my quote out of context... Anaconja said that Palkia can switch into Primal-Groudon's V-Create and survive to hit with Draco Meteor, which was in response to my point that Ash-Greninja could check Groudon-Primal with Primordial Sea (i.e. its a check-not a counter, so it would come in safely on a slow pivot, and threaten it with Water moves in the rain). It was comparing Primordial Sea Greninja vs Swift Swim Palkia... being able to check it... As Palkia cannot launch Water moves in the Desolate Land weather, and since you brought up accuracy (your point on Spacial Rend), Draco Meteor may even miss... Further based on your Calculations, you are missing the point of a check (to switch in, thus the rain is in effect, not the sun, thus Fire moves are prevented). It would likely also not use Precipice Blades and use Thousand Arrows instead (for the same reason you suggested to use Core Enforcer instead of Spacial Rend- pp and accuracy):
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Greninja-Ash: 210-247 (60.3 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Again more on speed issues. Also why use coverage against stuff like ferro when you have this: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Palkia Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn in Heavy Rain: 218-257 (61.9 - 73%)
Because if it is Prankster Spore, you will need to KO it on the turn you wake up, thus 2HKOing it wont save you from it Sporing you once again and then it healing back up...
Whereas: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Palkia Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 208+ SpD Ferrothorn: 322-380 (91.4 - 107.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery means you can be almost certain it wont be able to Spore you, heal, and set-up.
No one would switch in non av dialga against a wallbreaker. Also for everyone scarf palkia is bad use specs thank. Regardless of scarf since dialga runs modest mainly if not av you outspeed anyways.
He was making a point to mention AV sets. My point is that AV is not the only set it can run, and thus I included Dialga's other calc. Remember, depending on how the match is played, they wont necessarily know your Palkia set (if they do then using Specs after your first hit, each switch in, makes it easier for them to just switch in a resist). Using a surprise Aura Sphere from Mega Launcher would enable Palkia to sweep past non-AV variants because it would be a 1HKO. I.e. they send in Dialga after seeing your Palkia is a Choice Specs user (seeing it KO something with its STAB before you switch it out and back in), and do not realize it can also use Aura Sphere at 255 base power *predicting as your 1st move on their switch to Dialga* (super effective + Mega Launcher boost). In this context, I was saying Palkia might make a good Mega Launcher user, because it's Dragon Pulse (now stronger than Tinted Lens/SS Core Enforcer), and Origin Pulse get STABs, and then it could also get Aura Sphere boosted for its relevant soft-checks like Dialga. *Remember, his calcs omitted Choice Specs, as did mine, since we are comparing Specs, here is the standard damage-
Also, I underpowered Greninja by forgoing Specs, below are the actual anti-Dialga Specs Calcs:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Palkia Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Dialga: 378-446 (93.5 - 110.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
As I said above ss is used only on dedicated rain teams with sufficient support although rain is still bad. Also without specs imposter is weak af.
Imposter might be considered weak in your eyes, but it gets a free hit on your switch, non-the-less, and if it has Adaptability, or Tinted Lens, then it will be hitting pretty decently, at least on Water Spout, plus it can switch moves, making your Imposterproofing much more difficult. Either way, my point was 2 fold: Why not just use Mega Launcher Greninja in the same rain support, this way you have something already fast, with Specs, and a boosting ability, so it has the ability slot advantage that Palkia fills with Swift Swim, allowing Greninja to use the abilities Palkia can only use on its slower sets (Mega Launcher + Origin Pulse, Adaptability + Water Spout, or even Tinted Lens + Water Spout, now that I think of it). My second point was a slow pivot to a weather changer like P-Don, or Tyranitar-Mega removes its Speed advantage, for all future opponents until the Drizzle user is sent back in again, while Greninja can continue to sweep at a high speed regardless, especially if you need to set the weather, clear hazards, and switch.
More on taking damage, rocks can never be staying on the field for long before you clear it. I myself would never switch in a Spout user into hazards, would you?
Again no need to use coverage moves when water spout does enough damage.
Um, my point wasn't to switch it in on hazards, it was to not assume Palkia will be at 100% HP without a healing move during each calculation, while he assumed that Groudon would be taking his SR damage. I.e. If you are going to assume SR on their field, assume it on yours, to be fair. Otherwise, don't put SR in the calcs for Groudon-P taking damage. By your argument, then we we should also assume that "rocks can never be staying on the field for long before you clear it" for the opponent as well. Especially if your team uses Defog over Rapid Spin... My point isn't that we shouldn't include rocks, its that we should include it for both sides of the field, if we include it at all. Also doing enough damage is subjective. Sometimes a 2HKO isn't enough, especially if your Palkia is facing a Pokemon that can take a hit and heal (such as the aforementioned Prankster, Spore Ferrothorn, that would carry a healing move like Shore Up). Coverage moves break checks, while relying on hoping Palkia is at 100% HP for the full duration of the match is unrealistic, plus coverage moves always have their place on a wall breaker, as some walls demand you bring the right coverage such as when you mentioned it would carry Thunder for Kyogre
252 Atk Palkia Dragon Tail vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre-Primal: 79-94 (19.5 - 23.2%) -- possible 5HKO
Helping it gain health with regen is not a good idea.
Clearly my point was on RengenVest/Unaware Palkia being a counter against Kyogre in general, as it doesn't only have to be considered a counter against a RegenVest Kyogre... Further, what if we include SR damage, since some of his calcs did? Now It wont heal off damage from Palkia anymore (it'll only accumulate a little additional damage, but it definitely serves its purpose on Kyogre being forced out, and it prevents healing, meaning Kyogre has to plan to switch in against something else). A counter/check only needs to force a foe out, and Dragon Tail ensures Palkia does that.
So would any fairy type that fear the water spout from Palkia or Ashninja. He just meant (or she) that Fairies take both dragon and dark.
My point is that at least Dark does damage and isn't blocked 100%... For example, if someone switches in Magic Guard Diancie-Mega because they assume you will use Ice Beam as it is Choice Locked, but then see you used a Dark Move such as the one below, they will be hesistant to stay in if they had taken even minor previous damage (such as a Volt Switch from a teammate): 252 SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252- SpD Diancie-Mega: 136-161 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- 27.3% chance to 2HKO (Again Diancie-Mega has to be at near perfect HP to not gaurantee it'll be 2HKOed, while Dragon means it could come in at 1 HP and force you out...)
And finally in terms of large support I suggest everyone go calc it and see it only needs to click water spout and the occasional Draco on Tina and don. Also, what does your Ashninja need, does it not run Water Spout, does it not run a choice item because if it doesn't run specs its really weak. Because it requires support thats why its C-Material.
Um, again, we are assuming many things: Palkia is at 100% HP, the foe has no resists to Dragon + Water, and that although you mentioned it has Choice Specs you assume it isn't choice locked into a move your foe can switch appropriately into (such as a Fairy into Draco Meteor). Ash-Greninja, depending on the set would run either Water Spout + Primordial Sea, or Mega Launcher + Origin Pulse, (both with Choice Specs), although if it needed Tinted Lens, with support I guess, then it could be used as well.

The only real comparison and advantage for Swift Swim Specs Palkia (assuming they both safely come in at 100% HP for fully powered Water Spouts), is that Palkia can run Modest, and use Dragon STAB, while Greninja can run Dark STAB and supplement Draco Meteor with Ice Beam on 4x weak Dragons like Rayquaza- If they are not weak to Mega Launcher Aura Sphere (Dialga), Dark Pulse (Giratina), etc.
Lastly, if you were to truly compare them, you would have the same team (support) for each, as in Drizzle and Defog/Rapid Spin teammates. Therefore, the advantage Greninja has is the ability to run Tinted Lens, Adaptability or Mega Launch with Water Spout or Origin Pulse, respectively, pushing its water STAB above SS Palkia's, despite Palkia being able to run a Modest Nature in SS.
So you are comparing a mon with a offensive ability and a mon with a speed ability and you say one has more power.
Well, I was comparing it also to Palkia's other sets a little when they mentioned Tinted Lens/Adaptability, because my concern was that a slower Pokemon would eventually get hit by faster opponents, while if we are to assume Specs+Water Spout 1HKOs as long as you go first, then Greninja has the advantage... Greninja can, afterall, also run those abilities, especially if both get the same team support (Rain + Hazards control). Well, to the SS ability, if you call it a wallbreaker, but Greninja has more power, then doesn't that make Greninja better at wallbreaker? That's the additional comparison...
Nevertheless, Palkia's Tinted Lens Core Enforcer is reason enough for Palkia to keep its set, I agree it should be ranked... Just not for SS
Also you would run Core Enforcer over Spacial Rend because acc and pp.
Great points that I touched on above regarding Groudon more likely to use 1K Arrows due to PP and Accuracy...
Key coverage doesn't matter when you 2hko nearly everything anyway (kinda like Pogre but you have dragon coverage and you all lose to regenvest pogre iirc). Only tina matters in your set of dragons and dies to Draco/Core anyways.
Well actually, Draco Meteor loses power, so it's really not a reliable move, and if accuracy matters between Core and Spacial Rend, then Draco's lower Accuracy than both moves doesn't do it any favors. Seriously, Core needs to be enough on its own, otherwise Greninja can use Ice Beam/Dark Pulse to achieve the same/similar KOs on Giratina, Rayquaza, etc. as applicable.
For example: 252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Greninja-Ash Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde-Complete in Rain: 618-728 (97.1 - 114.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Anaconja already assumed rain was supporting Palkia with Adaptability:
Let's move on...

I have 0 clue why we are doing this again when we are nomming palkia up. If you want to nom Ashninja go ahead and discuss but for now its Palkia not ashninja.
I didn't want to nom Ash-Greninja. You completely missed the point. I was saying that Mega Launcher was also an option for Palkia, (why would I bring up an additional option, if I was in any way against Palkia?) and that we should consider Palkia for something other than Swift Swim since Greninja can use Primordial Sea/Mega Launcher as an ability to boost its moves while still being fast.
Palkia still has the niche as a STAB Dragon attacker, so Greninja isn't strictly better, just like Kyogre isn't strictly better. Tinted Lens and Adaptability are something Palkia can do, but my concern is that if you need Rain support to boost Swift Swim Palkia to enough Speed to sweep, you could just use Primordial Sea Water Spout Greninja, or Mega Launcher Origin Pulse Grenina. It was about not making SS a set for Palkia if Greninja can offer the same/similar without needing team support... for speed.
-----------

If you truly want to know what I wanted to nom for the VR rankings, then look no further:

*This was edited into a previous post that I believe people may have missed, so I included it here*

[ Darmanitan: UR to C- (Unaware, Regenerator, Fur Coat)

1528622082396.png

A Pokémon that can slow pivot, bring on the pain with 140 Base power Searing Shot (Kartana, Ferrothorn, Registeel), and grabs the best parts of Slowbro-Mega (Fire, Ice, Fighting, and Steel resists), with Muk-Alolan (Bug & Electric neutrality for U-Turn/Volt Change, Grass resistance, Status Immunity), in addition to a resistance to Fairy, plus the ability to take both physical and Special hits to pull a more successful Unaware set.

Calcs:
For Unaware Versions, depending on the nature: (fulfilling Alolan-Muk's Role, in handling Contrarian/Shell Smash MMX/Y/Sceptile-M

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo-Mega-Y Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Darmanitan-Z: 140-165 (33.8 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Mewtwo-Mega-X Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Darmanitan-Z: 152-179 (36.7 - 43.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Sceptile-Mega Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Darmanitan-Z: 104-123 (25.1 - 29.7%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
For Fur Coat versions:
(Fulfilling Slowbro-Mega's Role in handling MMX, Kyurem-B, in addition to Diancie-Mega, and Kartana). I included both Bold and Calm nature’s for some Calcs. Also I included Special Attacks to show even without Assault Vest it can take Special hits:

252 Atk Life Orb Steelworker Kartana Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Darmanitan-Z: 142-170 (34.2 - 41%) -- 59.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Mewtwo-Mega-X Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Darmanitan-Z: 109-129 (26.3 - 31.1%) -- 27.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Mewtwo-Mega-X Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Darmanitan-Z: 66-78 (15.9 - 18.8%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Kyurem-Black Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Darmanitan-Z: 161-190 (38.8 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Refrigerate Kyurem-Black Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Darmanitan-Z: 129-152 (31.1 - 36.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Pixilate Diancie-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Darmanitan-Z: 160-187 (38.6 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Pixilate Diancie-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Darmanitan-Z: 144-172 (34.7 - 41.5%) -- 74.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Darmanitan-Z: 106-126 (25.6 - 30.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Zygarde-Complete Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Darmanitan-Z: 86-104 (20.7 - 25.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
For Assault Vest Versions:
(Can be a Softcheck via Core Enforcer removing their ability and hurting them significantly after surviving)

252 SpA Life Orb Necrozma-Ultra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Darmanitan-Z: 156-185 (37.6 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Darmanitan-Z: 212-251 (51.2 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Galvanize Xurkitree Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Darmanitan-Z: 174-205 (42 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Darm Damage Calcs:
252 SpA Darmanitan-Z Searing Shot vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Registeel: 204-242 (56 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Darmanitan-Z Searing Shot vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 168-198 (46.2 - 54.5%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0- Atk Darmanitan-Z Foul Play vs. -1 252 HP / 252 Def Mewtwo-Mega-X: 328-386 (78.8 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(Assuming MMX used Shell Smash)

252 SpA Darmanitan-Z Core Enforcer vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Necrozma-Ultra: 186-220 (46.7 - 55.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Darmanitan-Z Core Enforcer vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Rayquaza-Mega: 182-216 (43.9 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Darmanitan-Z Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Rayquaza-Mega: 328-388 (79.2 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Darmanitan-Z Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Rayquaza-Mega: 328-388 (79.2 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Darmanitan-Z Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde-Complete: 312-368 (49 - 57.8%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Darmanitan-Z Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Sceptile-Mega: 364-432 (105.8 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Darmanitan-Z Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Zygarde-Complete: 340-404 (53.4 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (without the nature boost)

Darmanitan-Z Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Celesteela: 128-152 (32.1 - 38.1%) -- 96.4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (During Primordial Sea)

252 SpA Darmanitan-Z Searing Shot vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Celesteela: 182-216 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Darmanitan-Z Searing Shot vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 258-306 (64.8 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
The advantage here is that it can use Fur Coat to handle MMX, and because of its superior SpD and HP compared to Slowbro-Mega it won’t mind forgoing Assault Vest, plus it can resist Fairy and Grass Types, and enjoys not being weak to Volt Switg/U-Turns.

Slowbro-Mega fears Imposter Scald, while Alolan-Muk fears Imposter Knock Off. Darmanitan can fear not, and can switch into their most common switch-ins for Slowbro-Mega: Refrigerate Kyurem-B, MMX,
In addition to the most common switch-ins for Alolan-Muk: Mega-Sceptile, MMY, literally replicating both Pokémon at once.

Further it can come in on Diancie-Mega, and hard Counter Kartana due to its resistances (V-Create included), while Alolan-Muk cannot.

What keeps it C- is the Pokémon it is replicating: D-Lister Alolan-Muk and B-Slowbro-Mega.

Just like Yveltal, it can run Fur Coat, Unaware, Regenerator even with a SR weakness, all the while sporting more resistances.
Darm takes hits as good as Muk-Alolan on the SpD and can take a 3HKO AFTER factoring in Stealth Rocks.

This allows it opportunities to heal, and deal back damage while Muk-Alolan and Slowbro-Mega cannot pack the same punch- this matters when facing enemy Steels that think they can come in, but only end up getting melted. Further, it’s Core Enforcer removes abilities from foes and can take Advantage of Volt Switch to pivot for the Heal:
AV Set
Darmanitan-Zen Mode @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 0 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Calm Nature Nature/Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Searing Shot
- Core Enforcer/Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon/Moongeist Beam

Handle Sceptile, MMY, Diancie-M, Kyurem-B, etc. with cleanly arriving into battle and threatening with a coverage move.

252 SpA Darmanitan-Z Moongeist Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mewtwo-Mega-Y: 160-190 (38.4 - 45.6%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Factor in Life Orb recoil on MMY and it becomes a clean 2HKO often)

Against Diancie-Mega-Calcs
252 SpA Darmanitan-Z Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Diancie-Mega: 272-324 (89.4 - 106.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock- If Stealth Rocks is absent, Life Orb will recoil Diancie-Mega into a 1HKO
Fur Coat/Unaware Set:
Darmanitan-Zen Mode @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat/Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 0 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Calm Nature Nature/Bold Nature
- Searing Shot
- Core Enforcer/Ice Beam
- Baneful Bunker/Foul Play
- Shore Up

Foul Play hits Shell Smash MMX hard, but more importantly allows it to take advantage of the Physical Attackers and set up sweepers while still being Imposterproof due to having a low Attack, Scout a hit, stall for HP, punish with Status, allowing you to push some 3HKOs into 2HKO territory, and still keep the majority of your coverage from the Assault Vest Set.

Last edited:

E4 Flint

-inactive in BH due corrupt leader-
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello all. Sorry for the delay. Here's some of our proposed VR Changes. As always, we'll leave around a day of discussion after posting this, before I update them all. Votes of ScarfWynaut and Funbot28 and myself are attached.

Rise:
Dialga: B+ >> A-
Shedinja: B+ >> A-
Kartana: B >> B+
Slowbro-Mega: B- >> B
Sableye-Mega: C >> B- (Not done, post responses in thread)​
Blaziken-Mega: C >> B-
Fall:
Mewtwo-Mega-X: A+ >> A
Zygarde-C: A+ >> A
Solgaleo: A >> A-
Gyarados-Mega: B+ >> B
Xurkitree: B >> C
Deoxys-A: B- >> C
Nihilego: C >> D

Added:
Slaking: A (same as Gigas)​
Cresselia: B- (Not done, post responses in thread) C (same rank as Sableye-Mega)​
Palkia: C
Beedrill-Mega: D
Darmanitan-Zen: D

Removed:
No Change:
Kyogre-Primal: A+
Groudon <Red Orb>: A-
Kangaskhan <Kangaskhanite>: A-
Necrozma Dusk-Mane: B+
Arceus: B
Celesteela: B
Steelix-Mega: C

Attachments

Last edited:
Only one I disagree with is Sableye. It has a neat typing and neat speed for the slow pivot fanatics, but its bulk is otherwise really lackluster. U-Turn spam, especially if combined with other chip such as hazards, can really wear it down. It also doesn't take strong neutral hits all that well either, let alone ones backed by boosting items or abilities.

MAMP

MAMP!
hard disagreeing with the sableye rise. it's a very niche pokemon that performs a very specific role on some teams, but with m2x falling off and by far the most popular m2y set being contrary w/ fleur cannon, sableye just isnt a very good mon atm. like rumors said, its low bulk makes it easy to wear down and it walls nothing besides the few mons that it's specifically designed to beat. very few teams want sableye, it just does stone nothing in so many matchups and i think the metagame isnt particularly favourable to it right now. if anything it should be dropping, not rising.

edit: also i feel like nihilego should be unranked entirely, not just dropped to d

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
ok time to get myself kicked out of the om community

mega mewtwo y s to a+

might just be me but i've been having a lot more trouble fitting this mon on a team in the current meta.

sheer force 4 attacks is the most viable set in terms of breaking, but it's really team specific. you need an imposter proofer out of a relatively small pool of choices, then a way to pressure shedinja and fc chansey so you don't lose to them, etc. basically you have to build around it to use it. from my experience it's decent on offense but offense is pretty bad

in my opinion specs sets are extremely overrated and are in no way worthy of an s ranking on their own. psychic surge might be gone, but pretty much every team still carries a dark or steel type. additionally, unlike moves like kartana's sunsteel strike or rayquaza's boomburst, psycho boost isn't a move you can click and expect to get results. because of its secondary effect, mmy needs tinted lens or coverage to actually break resists (while ray/kart just need a bit of chip)

252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Mewtwo-Mega-Y Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Dialga: 222-264 (54.9 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

this is specs tinted lens mmy vs regenvest dialga, which only has 100/100 bulk (like mmx level). even if dialga is chipped and can't take the second one, it doesn't need to because it can just go to any other mon because you're at -2 spa man

mmy's claim to fame of being faster than all the other breakers doesn't mean much when you need to click psycho boost vs everything except gengar, and priority from ray/diancie/kyub can pick you off easily. dazzling mmy is a pretty bad mon because it loses to every prankster haze user (unlike say mmx which can at least trade with steels).

also can we talk about 4mss on specs mmy? let's use the tinted lens set as an example. even without factoring in coverage for steels, three moves are completely mandatory: psycho boost to kill things, psystrike to hit regenvest ogre, and moongeist beam to hit solgaleo and shed. now you need fleur cannon to hit dark types, but you also really want volt switch to pivot out, but you also want knock off to remove av and eviolite, etc.

psychic surge being gone has hurt mmy a lot more than everyone seems to think it has. even ignoring the lack of priority protection, it doesn't get the ohkos it needs now

252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Mewtwo-Mega-Y Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Zygarde-Complete: 508-598 (79.8 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Mewtwo-Mega-Y Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Zygarde-Complete in Psychic Terrain: 570-672 (89.6 - 105.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

in this situation, zygarde can just stay in and click recover. even without considering zygarde's teammates, mmy needs chip to get the kill.

contrary is probably mmy's second best set, but revenge killing it really isn't that hard. priority has seen a resurgence, and imposter can 1v1 easily. additionally, common walls like regenvest ogre, regenvest dialga, and ff steels can check it. they can potentially be beaten using like spore or psystrike, but that would mean giving up one of boost/fleur cannon/overheat/moongeist, all of which are necessary for the set to be functional.

tl;dr breaking sets aren't that good at breaking (aside from sheer force), contrary is the only good sweeping set and even that isn't all that good

I wanted to say thank you for including Darmanitan Zen Mode in the Added list. I put so much time and effort into that post, and from my iPhone at that...

I have a question, rather than a suggestion:
For moves that benefit from Slow Pokemon-

- Damage: Metal Burst
- Removal: Spectral Thief, Core Enforcer
- Anti-Moves above: Beak Blast (When paired with Destiny Bond- Dragon Tail, Circle Throw, *Focus Punch?) *No one uses it, just for completeness*
- Field Clearing: Rapid Spin, Defog (Don’t spin before they are set!)
- Pivot: Baton Pass (Parting Shot, U-Turn, Volt Switch)
Other: Endeavor, Normalium-Z Belly Drum (Paired with Priority in Extreme Speed, etc).

Are there other moves that should be included in the list?

Any Abilities you feel pair well with these moves?

My goal is to see if these moves allow a Pokémon to serve a unique, yet important (or at least useful) niche that was overlooked.

Would any of these allow slower Pokémon to serve as alternative options for Pokémon that serve a similar purpose?
For example: Type: Null with Eviolite has similar bulk to Arceus with Leftovers (1.15%-2.45% difference after item recovery) when facing MMX-

Calcs:
252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Mewtwo-Mega-X Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Fur Coat Type: Null: 229-270 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Mewtwo-Mega-X Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Arceus: 291-343 (65.5 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
In regards to this I thought “what if something could take advantage of these moves to outperform it’s closest rival?”

Another consideration would be it’s lower HP allowing for healing from Sap Sipper, Leech Seed, *Pain Split to recover a larger portion (%) of HP. *No, I don’t use Pain Split, just for completeness.*

Type: Null’s factor of bulk on both sides, 1 single weakness, Imposterproofing from Spectral Thief, and underspeeding to pivot the boosts to its allies only help it to find a niche.

More over, it can always keep its abilities safe from Core Enforcer by using a slow Priority move like Circle Throw to force the Core Enforcer out, and function as a way around opposing Normal-Types immune to Spectral Thief. (Circle Throw over Dragon Tail so it can handle Fairy types).

Because they have the same base HP, I tried to compare its bulk to Slowbro-Mega holding an Assault Vest and here are the numbers:

Type: Null = (+Def Nature)
475 Defense
433 Special Defense

Slowbro-Mega = (+SpD Nature)
459 Defense
426 Special Defense

With Type: Null not relying on Assault Vest, it can forgo Regenerator and use Fur Coat to effectively have 950 Defense, and pack a healing move.

If Slowbro-Mega were to have Fur Coat, it would only have 284 Special Defense... with a Boosting Nature! Not to mention many more weaknesses like Dark Moves, Bug, Ghost, Electric, and Grass Moves.

In the end, why use a Pokémon susceptible to Knock Off when you can get almost the same bulk from Arceus?

The answer is this;

Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware/Fur Coat/Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 0 Spe
Brave Nature or Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spectral Thief
- Circle Throw
- Baton Pass
- Strength Sap / Shore Up

Keep in mind, with Unaware, even if the foe has Contrary, where you are Boosting their Atk via Strength Sap, you can Spectral Thief those same boosts back later, afterall, their boosts won’t affect their damage output anyway, so you can take it back the following turn.

Slow Spectral Thief ensures you steal boosts after the setup is used during the same turn, while Baton Pass protects the recipient from Spectral Thief on their turn in.

Strength Sap can also be useful for your teammates, such as when you lower the Atk of a Choice Banded foe, effectively using Knock Off while healing HP, which helps as you slow pivot.

Circle Throw is for underspeeding Core Enforcer, while outspeeding slower phazers such as Registeel. It’s also the way around Normal-Type set upper foes such as PH Regigigas.

Stamina, like with M-Audino, works well on a Normal Type, and pairs well with Spectral Thief and Baton Pass. Fur Coat can be used, however, for the immediate survivability to serve as a check, rather than a lure for physical moves.
My Focus is more on what moves, abilities, and items can we use to come up with specific niches to fill? I know M-Audino doesn’t get Eviolite, and often has slow moves like Core Enforcer, Spectral Thief, and Dragon Tail, and was hoping those strategies can be added to other Pokémon that are able to take advantage of low Speed or HP.
Just to add a few things to your list (and some of these are situational and often worse to be slower with):
Speed boosting moves (to avoid boost removal then outspeed next turn)
Pursuit (catch them after a pivot, very situational since they are faster and can heal up)

Abilities:
Analytic (lol)
Poison heal
Prankster (not so much because it benefits more from the slow stuff, it just gets the best if both worlds)
Magic Bounce (when paired with pivoting etc, so you deny hazards and can then switch to something to force them out)

As you can probably see most of these benefit mainly as a side effect of slow pivoting which is obviously going to be effective as a low risk way of getting momentum.

Also I'd say dragon tail etc don't benefit from being slow because you go last anyway unless they used the same, in which case you want to be faster to get the hit in.

Ferrothorn is a great example of a mon that benefits from slow speed, however it's story is also a tragedy in that it rarely has space for the moves it needs to really take advantage of it, you can blame 4mss for that one.
Mega Sableye also benefits from a slow U-turn and this is one of its stronger points with the extra momentum helping to make up the ground it loses by having really underwhelming bulk.
P.S. I also think B- is a bit too high for sableye, maybe it's even too high for cresselia which can fill a similar role with different but still notable problems but it is certainly more accurate then being unranked.

E4 Flint

-inactive in BH due corrupt leader-
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Announcements
  • VR update is complete post feedback from the thread. I also updated some of the abilities for various mons
  • Numerous other minor QoL improvments including formatting, fixing dead links, etc (including the loss of our favorite Normalize Z-Crystal Arceus from the Setpedia)
  • MAMP has come back to BHC and Willdbeast has agreed to help work on the Setpedia
What's Next?
  • I'm going to work more on how the threads look visually. A banner was recently added to the Suspects thread
  • I am verifying some Arceus mechanics updates with Imposter which will be updated in the Primer
  • Improvements on sets in Setpedia
  • We will be accepting Sample Teams! Please refer to the following again on how to submit teams:
It's that time of the month again. What is it you ask? Why, the new Sample Team Submissions Time! I am going to set aside the last couple days of every month for people to submit their sample teams for me and the other Central staff to look over and add to the sample team vault in the main bh ladder thread! I would like it to be done in a proper format like below. I want to keep it short and sweet.
  • Name of Team (if any, non explicit and if you don't give one, I will)
  • Picture of team from showdown profiling the team
  • <link to team using pastebin, pokepast or w/e you wish that won't expire>(Pokepaste is nice because you can store all this information on there too)
  • Short summary of what the team is about (max 2 sentences) including special notes or reasoning for things on the team.
  • Experience on the ladder with supporting replays, etc to support why your team should be added

I will do one as a quick example and for my own submission as well.
Twin Sunbursts -- (get it, cause it has two Rays xd)

Link: http://pokepast.es/f42aa9499f4494a6
Desc:Deal maximum damage by confusing opponents with different Rays that provide complementary coverage. Ground mAttack for AV sol, audino checks the Tinted Ray's Imposter.
Link to experience (You would have to provide proof of this such as notable replays and ladder rank screenshots)

If you don't provide any of the above, I won't look at it.

In addition, the community can provide any feedback they wish on the teams supporting or even asking questions about the teams and ways they could be improved. For example, I received feedback that the Solgaleo in that team can run a different ev spread to get past MagPull Groudon.

Submissions will end for the month on the first day of the next month. So you have 2 days to submit. I will make the decision to add within a week, so that is enough time to discuss.

Also feel free to continue discussion about the VR or anything. I am going to begin updating the VR around the end of every month too according to feedback we see here as well as metagame shifts.
Thanks!

[Insert Thumbnail Here]

Sample Sub #69- The nature of this team makes it very versatile and easy to learn, which is why I believe it is a contender for a sample.
Bill Clinton (Slowbro-Mega) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Perish Song
- Heal Order
- Parting Shot

Ashley Benson (Diancie-Mega) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
Hasty Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Boomburst
- V-create

Ped O' Reily (Gengar-Mega) @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Pursuit
- Shell Smash
- Judgment
- Sludge Wave

Demi Lovato (Audino-Mega) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Baneful Bunker
- Defog
- Shore Up
- Knock Off

Furious Feesh (Gyarados-Mega) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Shore Up
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Spectral Thief

Take a Chans (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
- Milk Drink
- Spikes
- Fake Out
- Metal Burst

PokePaste
Description- See PokePaste.
RMT Link

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
sample team time!

this is the first team that got me to 95 gxe so it's probably good enough

Distance (Giratina) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
- Strength Sap
- Core Enforcer
- Milk Drink
- Haze

Tokyo Drift (Mewtwo-Mega-Y) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Hasty Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Absolution (Kyogre-Primal) @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- U-turn
- Revelation Dance
- Spectral Thief
- Core Enforcer

Symmetry (Magearna-Original) @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
-
Distance (Giratina) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
- Strength Sap
- Core Enforcer
- Milk Drink
- Haze

Tokyo Drift (Mewtwo-Mega-Y) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Hasty Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Absolution (Kyogre-Primal) @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- U-turn
- Revelation Dance
- Spectral Thief
- Core Enforcer

Symmetry (Magearna-Original) @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- U-turn
- Worry Seed
- Defog
- Shore Up

Completion (Blissey) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Final Gambit
- Trick
- Soft-Boiled
- Fake Out

Solitude (Shedinja) @ Protective Pads
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 42 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Endeavor
- Extreme Speed
- Stealth Rock

https://pokepast.es/78c6d4c5f451702d
U-turn
- Worry Seed
- Defog
- Shore Up

Completion (Blissey) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Final Gambit
- Trick
- Soft-Boiled
- Fake Out

Solitude (Shedinja) @ Protective Pads
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 42 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Endeavor
- Extreme Speed
- Stealth Rock

https://pokepast.es/78c6d4c5f451702d
i started with a core of 4 attacks sheer force mmy + sturdy shed, then added the bounce + imposter support that shed needed, then added two miscellaneous defensive mons to cover common threats.

shedinja and mmy are the main wincons, with each having tools to break the opposing team in shedinja's stealth rock and mmy's strong coverage. magearna is the main mon to wall defensive stuff and u-turn on them, while imposter's role is to scout what stuff can kill shed and revenge kill stuff like contrary sceptile if needed. ogre is a blanket check to special attackers like gengar, special mray, and so on, while giratina shuts down physical attackers like mmx and kartana. prankster strength sap ensures they can't 2hko you.

the single biggest threat to the team is sand stream + imposter, which locks you off from using both shedinja and mmy (because it's imposter proofed by shed) as long as sand is up, taking away your main methods of pressuring imposter. luckily this combo is extremely rare and i didn't run into it at all when laddering. other problematic pokemon include walls for mmy and shed, like magic bounce giratina and fc chansey.

what i like about the team is that unlike a traditional stall team, it doesn't just fall over if the opponent has some means of exerting pressure. this is because mmy gives you a way of playing proactively, and it can save you against more aggressive teams.

this team has also bailed me out multiple times in bh spring seasonal. if you want specific examples and/or replays ask me.

Last edited:

MAMP

MAMP!
I feel like the lower end of the VR has been neglected for a while, and a lot of it feels very out of date. Here's some nominations to help fix it up.

| DROPS

Swampert-Mega B- -> C
Swampert's previous B- ranking was in recognition of its Fur Coat set being arguably the best Primal Groudon switchin. With Pdon being banned and the introduction of Photon Geyser making it no longer a good M2X check, Swampert has lost much of its niche and struggles to justify its spot on teams. It doesn't have the bulk or typing to stand up to most of the top metagame threats and is largely outclassed in many of its roles. Its best set at the moment is Soundproof, a solid -ate check that distinguishes itself from the competition by being able to force out Steels, being immune to Volt Switch from Specs Ray and not just dying to Draco Meteor. Fur Coat and Unaware sets are both still solid as well, but as mentioned before Swampert is frequently outclassed by Pokemon like Big Zygarde that just generally offer more utility. I think Swampert is just a bit too niche, too often outclassed and too often not useful to be considered B rank.
Ampharos-Mega C -> D
As much as I hate to admit it, this Pokemon probably should never have been in C rank, especially not now that its Galvanise sets are no longer self-improofing. It's a decent wallbreaker let down by a painful speed stat and a plethora of common weaknesses making it often deadweight against offense. As both Triage and Aerilate Mega Rayquaza have begun more frequently running Dragon moves, it no longer provides much defensive utility, and the change to -ate + Judgment mechanics means that the OTR Draco Plate Galvanise set that I loved so dearly isn't really particularly good anymore. The Prankster set is cute but requires more setup and team support than its worth. Ampharos is just really mediocre right now, and most of what it can do is done better by other Pokemon.
Venusaur-Mega C -> D
Venusaur's only really viable set is Flash Fire, which is a counter to Pixilate Mega Diancie, PH Xerneas, some Primal Kyogre sets, and some other miscellaneous things. The issue with Venusaur is that many of the pokemon that it checks, like offensive Pogre and Zekrom, have recently fallen out of favour, it struggles switching into Diancie with even a bit of prior damage or with hazards up (and it can be 2hkod switching in against the groundium set), and Xerneas almost always runs Lovely Kiss and gets momentum against Venusaur by sleeping it and switching out. By far the biggest knock against Venu however is that Flash Fire Ferrothorn does almost everything that Venu can do, but also is able to check a whole range of threats that Venu can't thanks to its Steel typing. Every time ive tried building with Venu, ive thought to myself 'wouldn't this team just be better with a Ferro?', and every time I was correct.
Lati@s-Mega D -> UR
Perhaps a controversial one, but I just don't see what niche these Pokemon have in the current metagame. Offensively they're pretty thoroughly outclassed by the faster and more powerful Ultra Necrozma, which is itself frequently outclassed by Mega Ray and Mewtwo Y. I've seen people try defensive sets on Mega Latias, but it just has too many common weaknesses to really switch into much and it gets worn down really easily by U-turn. Unlike other bulky Psychic types, it doesn't have the bulk to take on Mewtwo X and Mewtwo Y hits it super effectively with Fleur Cannon on the Contrary sets. I have never seen either of these Pokemon used successfully in USUM.
Nihilego D -> UR
Nihilego is at best a very mediocre check to Triage Ray and some variants of Aerilate Ray and Pixilate Diancie. However, it loses to common coverage moves, and doesn't really do much besides this. I guess it's a PH Xern check? Nihilego doesn't do enough to ever really be worth running and probably should have been unranked a while ago.

There's some other questionable mons in D rank that should maybe be unranked, like Blacephalon, Muk, Staka, Fini, and Mega Pidgeot, but I haven't used or played against any of them enough to make a fair judgment.

| RISES

Ho-oh D -> C
Ho-oh is rly saucy in the current meta. It's the hardest PH Xern counter in existence, counters every common Pixilate Mega Diancie variant, and takes on things like Kartana, Mega Sceptile, and Pheromosa. A big reason to use Ho-oh is that it also has a lot of offensive presence: even on defensive sets, STAB V-create from base 130 Attack is difficult to switch into, and 2HKOs pretty much everything that doesn't resist it. IMO the best set for Ho-oh right now is this:
Ho-Oh @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Impish Nature
- Shore Up
- V-create
- Anchor Shot
- Defog / Glare / filler
Ho-oh sets without Magic Guard aren't even that bad either if you can support them, Poison Heal in particular is pretty solid. This mon just feels like it's a step above the other stuff in D rank atm.
Charizard-Mega-Y UR -> D
While mostly outclassed by Mega Rayquaza, Big Zard's typing gives it a small niche over it as a Triage sweeper. Zard's Fairy resist allows it to check Mega Diancie and makes it a lot more difficult to revenge kill, the lack of a Dragon weakness enables it to set up in front of many Giratina sets where it would be risky for Mega Ray to do so, and its Fire stab gives it a strong way to break past the Prankster steels that can usually take on Triage Ray. The set I prefer looks something like this:
Charizard-Mega-Y @ Flyinium Z / Life Orb
Ability: Triage
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Oblivion Wing
- Magma Storm / Blue Flare
- Taunt

taunt them ff steels yeet
Zard is a fairly niche mon, it requires quite a bit of support due to its Stealth Rock weakness, and it isn't as powerful as Mega Ray, but I think it is worth running over Mega Ray sometimes on teams that are otherwise weak to Mega Diancie. It's also a decent offensive check to Kartana, Mega Sceptile and Pheromosa and with Taunt can sometimes beat PH Xern 1v1.
Groudon UR -> D
Groudon is similar to Mega Swampert and fills mainly the same roles, but it's a more reliable switchin to Primal Groudon and physical -ates (if Soundproof) because it has better physical bulk and isn't 4x weak to grass (so it doesn't just die to Solar Blade). The lack of a steel resist and the weaknesses to Water and Ice make it generally worse than Mega Swampert, but on teams that have mons like Kartana and Kyurem-Black covered I think it's worth using.
Marowak-Alola UR -> D
Alolawak is a really brutal wallbreaker that just shreds a lot of common balance/stall teams atm. This mon is kinda obscure, so here's what I think is the best set for it:
Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Tough Claws / Tinted Lens / Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Spectral Thief
- Ice Hammer / Trick Room
- Shadow Sneak / Trick Room

min speed if ur trick room
tough claws is generally best but tinted and mold breaker can beat a few specific mons
consider pursuit if moldy
It's hard to underestimate just how hard this mon hits.
252+ Atk Thick Club Tough Claws Marowak-Alola V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Audino-Mega: 408-480 (99.5 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Tough Claws Marowak-Alola Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Giratina: 422-498 (83.7 - 98.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Thick Club Tough Claws Marowak-Alola Ice Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde-Complete: 564-668 (88.6 - 105%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Thick Club Tough Claws Marowak-Alola Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Flash Fire Registeel: 178-211 (48.9 - 57.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Thick Club Tough Claws Marowak-Alola Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre-Primal: 256-303 (63.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Tinted Lens Marowak-Alola V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre-Primal: 392-462 (97 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Tough Claws Marowak-Alola V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Regigigas: 447-526 (105.4 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Tough Claws Marowak-Alola V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Dialga: 421-496 (104.2 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Marowak benefits greatly from the popularity of min-speed walls in the current metagame, as despite its base 45 speed it can still outspeed up to min-speed base 100 mons. Marowak's Shadow Sneak cleans up Mewtwos and Gengars with a little bit of prior damage and takes out random weakened mons. Trick Room is a cool tech that I've enjoyed: you have to sacrifice a coverage move and the ability to outspeed min-speed walls outside of Trick Room, but there's not a lot that can stop Big Wak under Trick Room. Marowak is also a respectable check to V-create Pixilate Mega Diancie, Kartana and Pheromosa. Only consistent defensive answers to Tough Claws Wak are TTar, Gyara, Fur Coat stuff, and some Flash Fire steels, and all of them can get broken by Tinted Lens or Mold Breaker (or the spicy Close Combat tech). Wak's biggest flaw is that it doesn't do much against more offensive teams. It's very slow, not super bulky and has a ton of weaknesses, meaning it gets forced out by heaps of stuff and its Stealth Rock weakness makes it easy to wear down. Wak's reliance on its item makes it super easy to Imposter-proof but also makes it real bad against Knock Off and Trick. Overall, a powerful and very underrated wallbreaker that requires a bit of team support and struggles a ton against offense.
Regirock UR -> D
I've been liking Sand Stream Regirock quite a bit lately. Beats Aerilate and Triage Ray really consistently, gets up Sand to fuck with Shedinja and give you that juicy 75% Shore Up, which makes it really hard to wear Regirock down. Does a lot of the same things as TTar, but isn't forced out by Diancie and doesn't just die to random Fighting coverage. Not having TTar's Bug weakness means it doesn't get worn down quite so easily, and it has a bit more physical bulk to take random coverage moves better.

thank u for reading my poost

Muk-a is the only dark type not weak to any coverage move from contrary mmy, that means not only is it immune to its stab (which 2HKOS other contrary walls), but it also resists moongeist beam. That is its appeal. Darm-z does not resist moongeist beam and therefor—like every other fat psychic—should not be running unaware sets.

I've seen you talk about muk-a quite a bit and comparing it to other mons without actually understanding the basic premise of muk-a. Darmanitan-z completely fails to accomplish what muk-a (theoretically) does, so even comparing it to muk-a is erroneous.

Muk-a still sucks and should definitely be unranked because it struggles immensely to wall the only mons it was designed to wall in the entire meta.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)