Balanced Hackmons Suspect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Tbh, I was planning on voting No Ban on MegaRay partially because of the arguments presented by KS and Flint and partially cuz I've never struggled with it (although I do run 2 steels and physdef pogre lol),but I have watched some variations of its set put in work against very solid teams and I kinda think it's -ate set is too powerful without dedicated checks. This combined with what Adrian said about a retest has changed my decision to BARN ALL

Also just wanted to congratulate pretty much everyone for their work in both getting reqs and making some very well thought out and thorough arguments in this thread, good job people n_n

You guys do realize we aren't guaranteed a retest of Mega Ray either. Its more probable that -ate is supsected then Ray is retested. It would be irresponsible to ban Mega Ray now.
It's still not very irresponsible as Mega Rayquaza is technically a broken Pokemon. If the -ate suspect doesn't happen, we'd have still made the right decision.

Tbh, I was planning on voting No Ban on MegaRay partially because of the arguments presented by KS and Flint and partially cuz I've never struggled with it (although I do run 2 steels and physdef pogre lol),but I have watched some variations of its set put in work against very solid teams and I kinda think it's -ate set is too powerful without dedicated checks. This combined with what Adrian said about a retest has changed my decision to BARN ALL

Also just wanted to congratulate pretty much everyone for their work in both getting reqs and making some very well thought out and thorough arguments in this thread, good job people n_n
Again we aren't guaranteed a retest, don't change your vote thinking you have a chance to fix it later. And that argument only proves my point: the -ate set is too powerful. But the others aren't so much.

Edit:
It's still not very irresponsible as Mega Rayquaza is technically a broken Pokemon. If the -ate suspect doesn't happen, we'd have still made the right decision.
Primal Don was a broken mon with Assist, yet we banned Assist. Primal Don was still broken afterwards. Did we make the right choice? Yes we did. Because there were more viable users of Assist. We don't need to ban Pokemon just because its an option. Prove with arguments that non -ate Ray is broken. Please.

Last edited:
We have not had a single Pokemon ban in BH yet, so I think it is a good idea to review why we are doing so.

Groudon Primal is probalby going to be our first ban. It has a great double tab that hits every part of the meta, it has the offensive stats to back them up and be used with nearly any offensive ability purely with its stabs, it has the defensive stabs to resist priority and retain its bulk, it has a good typing to not be affected by SR, and has only two weaknesses. It can get by its would be counters simply by changing its ability, or running a different end of the spectrum and that's not even touching on its coverage moves. This is just with base Groudon Primal.

Kyogre Primal is much similar, in that it has the offensive and defensive type, the ability to run nearly any ability, and the special case, the ability to be nearly invincible after just a single set up on its main set where it also has recovery. Without having a dedicated counter to its stab, it can get past its would be counters in much a similar fashion, and has the addition advantage of being imposter proof on its main set minus Lucky Punch, in which case it is a toss up, just like a speed tie with other mons.

It is important to note that these two are in the ban discussion because they centralize the tier beyond their main set, and the fact that they work with nearly any offensive and defensive ability, and have the stats and the typing to maintain their dominance in the tier. That is why we are discussing them for ban. If Groudon had the defensive stats of DeoxysA, or Kyogre was like a super defensive Shuckle, I am pretty sure we would not be here right now. They are difficult to find stops to beyong their main set (in fact, I am not even sure what Groudon-Primal's main set even is).Therefore, these are the standards we should have to ban a pokemon from BH, which is an otherwise unheard of decision.

Therefore when you talk about Rayquaza Mega you have to make sure it follows the same standards. Many people say it is broken on its main set, Aerilate, the assumption of which I could contest myself right now. But let's continue on the basis that it is; then the correct decision is to ban an -ate ability on the mon not the complete mon itself. This is because, Ray doesn't have the defensive type that Groudon and Kyogre do, it does not have the bulk to tank hits, it is weak to one of the hazards and it becomes debiliated by any coverage move from even a moderately strong defensive mon. Furthermore its stabs do not have the unresisted potential of Groudon nor does it have the versatility to work with multiple offensive sets, like Tinted, PH or Protean, to make it not have good enough answers to, like Groudon and Kyogre do. Every single set that currently works that is not Aerilate works only because people expect it to be Aerilate, or it needs a scarf to pull off completely. Am I saying Ray is bad? Of course not; it would do decently with a lot of different sets. But being "okay" is not grounds for a ban. Right now there is not even enough evidence to say that its second strongest set, Gale Wings is broken in the meta, and to say that it definitively would be in a meta that wil not have to worry about preparing for Groudon or Kyogre would be premature and foolish. If you want to ban a Pokemon you have to look at what it brings to the table completely, not because of a single set.

There have been a number of counterarguments to this option based on points that I do not think are sound and I shall get into why right now:

This is the number one reason that I receive in opposition and it is the most farcical one so I shall do this first. First of all, it is untrue completely because there have been precedents of not allowing a specific set on a pokemon in metas such as AAA, Inheritance, where Sableye-Chansey was deemed over cenrtalizing, as well as Averagemons, where Sableye was given Stall to keep Sableye-Mega in the meta, the latter of which I think is a very interesting decision because it basically is the same reason why I think Rayquaza Mega should remain in the tier. If a tree is diseased you take care of the infected branch - you don't chop the entire tree down.

Furthermore, this "tradition" business for not allowing a complex ban is ludicrous. How do you qualify complex? I'd say we have already started with complex decisions with the Assist vote (which was the preferred decision over banning Groudon Primal at the time), as well as the ability clause, because the requirement for "two" is completely arbitrary. If this were not a case, this argument is still fundamentally flawed because you are not only assuming that your userbase is too stupid to understand a clause and thus be put off from playing,even though it does not seem any more complex than banning Rayquaza Mega entirely (which would evoke the same question as to "why", and still put off new players who would want to play with a mon that is not allowed anywhere else except AG), but also you are saying that the complexity of a clause and the ability for people understanding should somehow be incorporated into our decision making. Nowhere else on this planet does anyone make decisions based on whether other people get it or like it or not; they make the correct decision regardless (this is especially for any of you who support the recent Supreme Court decision which was made even though there is a sizable segment who "just don't understand it" or "just don't like it"). I don't see how the complexity of a rule should affect a mon's performance in a meta. Especially when the concept of banning a specific set on a mon based on its ability has precedents in other metas - and don't even get me started on the purported ways to "improve" Stabmons.

Neither has a pokemon been banned from BH before. There is always going to be a precedent.

The practices of standards have no bearing on what we do here, as people have already kindly pointed out in regards to usage. In any case, I will delve into this point as well

First feel free to refer to this post because it is where most people are drawing this argument from. I took a look at it myself, and unless I am mistaken, most people actually did admit that complex bans would bea step in the right direction. However, the decision was ultiamtely made to not do so based on two basic points, which across all the posts I've read, can be summarized as:

1) Pokemon with the different abilities still perform roughly the same role, which is what is being attempted to stop. This argument is used against Speed Boost Blaziken vs Blaze Blaziken
2) This decision would affect every single pokemon across all standard tiers, resulting in many cases the same Pokemon being classified in different tiers basedon what abilities it has. This would be a massive undertaking that is simply unfeasible.

Neither of these arguments apply in BH. I'll start with the second point.All we are deciding is if a pokemon is in or out of the tier. There are no other tiers we need to put them into, and there is no reason to bucket every other mon that could be potentially banned (because we have only two other candidates, who are broken across their sets, not on their main one, which is the assumption we made to begin with - if you want to refute this assumption, then you should also be questioning why Don and Ogre are being banned at all). The first point is also completely inapplicable to BH because the ability defines the role of a pokemon in this meta. You can't say "oh look Raymega is broken on aerilate, so we should ban it because it will behave the same across all of the sets". It just doesn't work. Raymega has drastically different sets for Aerilate, Tinted, Contrary, Gale Wings, PH, Fur Coat, Magic Guard and all. There is simply no way to blanket all of them together.

This is a meaningless question because I already don't think that banning an ability on a mon is needlessly complex but I shall humor it anyway. We stop based on the arguments that will be posed in this thread, that is the whole point of the suspect thread, and we all will have a say of what is overly complex. We aren't making a clause that "raymega is in the tier if it doesn'thave any normal moves, if it is running iron ball, if it has 0 ivs in speed, and if the user of the ray plays without a mouse" here. If it is taking more effort to keep a mon in a tier than it would to ban it, then that is when it needs to be banned imo. This is completely not applicable here. If you are going through with this argument then you are simply being facetious.

I can't deny and say I don't love offense, but I will change my view depending on evidence and I try to be objective as possible because in the end I want a better tier just like any of you. Kingslayer very succinctly posed why Groudon Primal is broken across all of his sets with just his main stabs with sufficient and clear evidence and I had no counterargument even though I was initially against having bans in BH at all for whatever reason. I changed my decision based on what he said and that is why I support Don ban. If i was completely biased, I would only vote for Ogre ban, because I like him the least and Groudon and Raymega suit my playstyle far better and are far cooler. In any case, this is an ad hominem argument which is a sure sign that you are already wrong.

tl;dr
You have to prove that Raymega is broken with more than just Aerilate to get it banned. This would especially be a laughable decision if we ban Raymega and then people actually do get around to suspecting -ates, which is what Kingslayer said (and which most of the people who want Raymega banned seem to support).
Innocent until proven guilty.

PS: If you reply with "tldr LOLOL" to this post, then I don't see how you have any business being in this thread which is based on discussion. Get your cheap likes elswhere

"I don't have any counterargument so let's procrastinate the problem away cause noone will want to unban raymega later on" doesn't really work especially if you agree that our points are correct. This is basically becoming "I don't like that I have to face it so let's get rid of it" now.

Edited because initial post sounded unreasonably harsh.
All right Flint. I'm gonna have to concede your point.

That, coupled with the fact that I was already shaky on Ray. (I still am not convinced it's that much better than Diancie. It's slightly better in most ways... but when you look at it from the point of "What does it add to teams?", it's not really that different. And it would be fine without -ate.) is gonna change my vote from

BAN THEM ALL!!!

to

Ban the Primals, No ban for MegaRay.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Again we aren't guaranteed a retest, don't change your vote thinking you have a chance to fix it later. And that argument only proves my point: the -ate set is too powerful. But the others aren't so much.
Tbh, even if we aren't guaranteed a retest I think it should go, 180 dual attacking stats is VERY good, even in BH, and you must run dedicated checks to it. If it is suddenly Protean with coverage for its normal checks, then it can sweep your team. This isn't even considering the fact you can have one Aerilate ray and up to 5 other lure rays (although you should probably only use/need 1-2) that you can't tell the difference between and can be tweaked to demolish counters allowing one of them to sweep.

Tbh, even if we aren't guaranteed a retest I think it should go, 180 dual attacking stats is VERY good, even in BH, and you must run dedicated checks to it. If it is suddenly Protean with coverage for its normal checks, then it can sweep your team. This isn't even considering the fact you can have one Aerilate ray and up to 5 other lure rays (although you should probably only use/need 1-2) that you can't tell the difference between and can be tweaked to demolish counters allowing one of them to sweep.
Isn't the issue in that situation the fact that your opponent can run 6 Mega Rays that all look the same? Something that the Species Clause would have fixed. But it was rejected. I agree spamming 6 Rays is broken, but the rest of the community didn't feel that way.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
About the whole -ate vs Ray thing, you've got three options here. Keep in mind that this is assuming a. -ate megaray is borked but not non-ate megaray b. no other -ate users are borked. With those conditions in mind, you can either do a complex ban of -ate + ray, ban -ate or ban ray. A complex ban would be the ideal solution but that's just not our policy. Banning Ray would save the viability of other mons that are -ate reliant, while banning -ate would save ray but ruin everything else. It all comes down to your philosophy on which is better really. I'll vote to ban Ray, partially because I think it's the better philosophy but partially because this is the suspect test, not -ate, and that's what I'm gonna vote for. I don't even see how banning -ate makes for a "better" metagame than banning Ray. We keep one very strong mon that centralizes the meta (it will with don and ogre out of the way, it has other good sets) and hurt all of the other things that could have been better. Megaray is broken now, just ban it and be done imo.

oh yeah ban the other two also they're just as stupid but don't have some controversy to save them

E4 Flint

-inactive in BH due corrupt leader-
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Adrian weren't you the one who said a vote shouldn't "be biased by what can happen in the future"? I don't see how "let's ban this right now cause we can just bring it back later" is a valid counter argument especially because it can be applied to any ban at all, making the point of any ban moot. And you already know that there will be heavy reluctance to bring it back anyway which is why this is nothing more than a get out of jail free ploy. Complex banning aerilate on Ray is already the right decision which you and others agree with, as shown in the PS OM chat, so why continue to support ban? Once again feel free to provide me with a concrete counter argument - and I already said "it's just not what we do" isn't one, please refer to my previous to previous post as to why that is the most nonsensical excuse (not counter argument) to not do the correct decision.

Adrian weren't you the one who said a vote shouldn't "be biased by what can happen in the future"? I don't see how "let's ban this right now cause we can just bring it back later" is a valid counter argument especially because it can be applied to any ban at all, making the point of any ban moot. And you already know that there will be heavy reluctance to bring it back anyway which is why this is nothing more than a get out of jail free ploy. Complex banning aerilate on Ray is already the right decision which you and others agree with, as shown in the PS OM chat, so why continue to support ban? Once again feel free to provide me with a concrete counter argument - and I already said "it's just not what we do" isn't one, please refer to my previous to previous post as to why that is the most nonsensical excuse (not counter argument) to not do the correct decision.
Ray can run plent of other sets that are just as broken, already named by other people, you haven't proven those sets not broken yet.

E4 Flint

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The burden of proof to show it is broken is on you, otherwise it is innocent until proven guilty. That's how the world works. otherwise I'd have to prove I'm not a murderer just cause you called me one.

The burden of proof to show it is broken is on you, otherwise it is innocent until proven guilty. That's how the world works. otherwise I'd have to prove I'm not a murderer just cause you called me one.
Protean / Tinted / Contrary etc ray fuck just as many pokemon, and different ones which makes it even harder to counter, than ate ray. I'm not going to go run a bunch of calcs to prove that, it's just how 180/180 mixed offenses and a great speedtier works.

tl;dr pogre stuff
Any other ability on pogre besides PH isnt even close to banworthy though. Primsea and tinted lens really only beat unprepared players that have never seen it before, not experienced players that have seen more sets than PH.
We have not had a single Pokemon ban in BH yet, so I think it is a good idea to review why we are doing so.

Groudon Primal is probalby going to be our first ban. It has a great double tab that hits every part of the meta, it has the offensive stats to back them up and be used with nearly any offensive ability purely with its stabs, it has the defensive stabs to resist priority and retain its bulk, it has a good typing to not be affected by SR, and has only two weaknesses. It can get by its would be counters simply by changing its ability, or running a different end of the spectrum and that's not even touching on its coverage moves. This is just with base Groudon Primal.

Kyogre Primal is much similar, in that it has the offensive and defensive type, the ability to run nearly any ability, and the special case, the ability to be nearly invincible after just a single set up on its main set where it also has recovery. Without having a dedicated counter to its stab, it can get past its would be counters in much a similar fashion, and has the addition advantage of being imposter proof on its main set minus Lucky Punch, in which case it is a toss up, just like a speed tie with other mons.

It is important to note that these two are in the ban discussion because they centralize the tier beyond their main set, and the fact that they work with nearly any offensive and defensive ability, and have the stats and the typing to maintain their dominance in the tier. That is why we are discussing them for ban. If Groudon had the defensive stats of DeoxysA, or Kyogre was like a super defensive Shuckle, I am pretty sure we would not be here right now. They are difficult to find stops to beyong their main set (in fact, I am not even sure what Groudon-Primal's main set even is).Therefore, these are the standards we should have to ban a pokemon from BH, which is an otherwise unheard of decision.

Therefore when you talk about Rayquaza Mega you have to make sure it follows the same standards. Many people say it is broken on its main set, Aerilate, the assumption of which I could contest myself right now. But let's continue on the basis that it is; then the correct decision is to ban an -ate ability on the mon not the complete mon itself. This is because, Ray doesn't have the defensive type that Groudon and Kyogre do, it does not have the bulk to tank hits, it is weak to one of the hazards and it becomes debiliated by any coverage move from even a moderately strong defensive mon. Furthermore its stabs do not have the unresisted potential of Groudon nor does it have the versatility to work with multiple offensive sets, like Tinted, PH or Protean, to make it not have good enough answers to, like Groudon and Kyogre do. Every single set that currently works that is not Aerilate works only because people expect it to be Aerilate, or it needs a scarf to pull off completely. Am I saying Ray is bad? Of course not; it would do decently with a lot of different sets. But being "okay" is not grounds for a ban. Right now there is not even enough evidence to say that its second strongest set, Gale Wings is broken in the meta, and to say that it definitively would be in a meta that wil not have to worry about preparing for Groudon or Kyogre would be premature and foolish. If you want to ban a Pokemon you have to look at what it brings to the table completely, not because of a single set.

There have been a number of counterarguments to this option based on points that I do not think are sound and I shall get into why right now:

This is the number one reason that I receive in opposition and it is the most farcical one so I shall do this first. First of all, it is untrue completely because there have been precedents of not allowing a specific set on a pokemon in metas such as AAA, Inheritance, where Sableye-Chansey was deemed over cenrtalizing, as well as Averagemons, where Sableye was given Stall to keep Sableye-Mega in the meta, the latter of which I think is a very interesting decision because it basically is the same reason why I think Rayquaza Mega should remain in the tier. If a tree is diseased you take care of the infected branch - you don't chop the entire tree down.

Furthermore, this "tradition" business for not allowing a complex ban is ludicrous. How do you qualify complex? I'd say we have already started with complex decisions with the Assist vote (which was the preferred decision over banning Groudon Primal at the time), as well as the ability clause, because the requirement for "two" is completely arbitrary. If this were not a case, this argument is still fundamentally flawed because you are not only assuming that your userbase is too stupid to understand a clause and thus be put off from playing,even though it does not seem any more complex than banning Rayquaza Mega entirely (which would evoke the same question as to "why", and still put off new players who would want to play with a mon that is not allowed anywhere else except AG), but also you are saying that the complexity of a clause and the ability for people understanding should somehow be incorporated into our decision making. Nowhere else on this planet does anyone make decisions based on whether other people get it or like it or not; they make the correct decision regardless (this is especially for any of you who support the recent Supreme Court decision which was made even though there is a sizable segment who "just don't understand it" or "just don't like it"). I don't see how the complexity of a rule should affect a mon's performance in a meta. Especially when the concept of banning a specific set on a mon based on its ability has precedents in other metas - and don't even get me started on the purported ways to "improve" Stabmons.

Neither has a pokemon been banned from BH before. There is always going to be a precedent.

The practices of standards have no bearing on what we do here, as people have already kindly pointed out in regards to usage. In any case, I will delve into this point as well

First feel free to refer to this post because it is where most people are drawing this argument from. I took a look at it myself, and unless I am mistaken, most people actually did admit that complex bans would bea step in the right direction. However, the decision was ultiamtely made to not do so based on two basic points, which across all the posts I've read, can be summarized as:

1) Pokemon with the different abilities still perform roughly the same role, which is what is being attempted to stop. This argument is used against Speed Boost Blaziken vs Blaze Blaziken
2) This decision would affect every single pokemon across all standard tiers, resulting in many cases the same Pokemon being classified in different tiers basedon what abilities it has. This would be a massive undertaking that is simply unfeasible.

Neither of these arguments apply in BH. I'll start with the second point.All we are deciding is if a pokemon is in or out of the tier. There are no other tiers we need to put them into, and there is no reason to bucket every other mon that could be potentially banned (because we have only two other candidates, who are broken across their sets, not on their main one, which is the assumption we made to begin with - if you want to refute this assumption, then you should also be questioning why Don and Ogre are being banned at all). The first point is also completely inapplicable to BH because the ability defines the role of a pokemon in this meta. You can't say "oh look Raymega is broken on aerilate, so we should ban it because it will behave the same across all of the sets". It just doesn't work. Raymega has drastically different sets for Aerilate, Tinted, Contrary, Gale Wings, PH, Fur Coat, Magic Guard and all. There is simply no way to blanket all of them together.

This is a meaningless question because I already don't think that banning an ability on a mon is needlessly complex but I shall humor it anyway. We stop based on the arguments that will be posed in this thread, that is the whole point of the suspect thread, and we all will have a say of what is overly complex. We aren't making a clause that "raymega is in the tier if it doesn'thave any normal moves, if it is running iron ball, if it has 0 ivs in speed, and if the user of the ray plays without a mouse" here. If it is taking more effort to keep a mon in a tier than it would to ban it, then that is when it needs to be banned imo. This is completely not applicable here. If you are going through with this argument then you are simply being facetious.

I can't deny and say I don't love offense, but I will change my view depending on evidence and I try to be objective as possible because in the end I want a better tier just like any of you. Kingslayer very succinctly posed why Groudon Primal is broken across all of his sets with just his main stabs with sufficient and clear evidence and I had no counterargument even though I was initially against having bans in BH at all for whatever reason. I changed my decision based on what he said and that is why I support Don ban. If i was completely biased, I would only vote for Ogre ban, because I like him the least and Groudon and Raymega suit my playstyle far better and are far cooler. In any case, this is an ad hominem argument which is a sure sign that you are already wrong.

tl;dr
You have to prove that Raymega is broken with more than just Aerilate to get it banned. This would especially be a laughable decision if we ban Raymega and then people actually do get around to suspecting -ates, which is what Kingslayer said (and which most of the people who want Raymega banned seem to support).
Innocent until proven guilty.

PS: If you reply with "tldr LOLOL" to this post, then I don't see how you have any business being in this thread which is based on discussion. Get your cheap likes elswhere
Orge doesnt fall in the same boat as groudon... tbh its closer to rayquaza. It can run other sets besides PH... but they aren't broken, just like rayquaza and aerialate. I personally dont think pogre should be banned, but now im reconsidering ray-mega :S

tl;dr LOLOL

EDIT: Screw what i said abot reconsidering ray, ban it.

Last edited:
I do not understand why creating a complex ban for Mega Rayquaza is as necessary as you deem it to be. Banning Mega Rayquaza now would not be unjustified, as you yourself acknowledged that Mega Rayquaza is broken with Aerilate. Also, if an -ate suspect comes through, it may be retested. I cannot counter-argue with you because our stance regarding Mega Rayquaza's ideal outcome is completely different.

I also fail to see how my vote is based on what happens in the future. Mega Rayquaza is a broken threat by its own (this is a suspect for all three after all), for Mega Rayquaza is extremely centralising in the current metagame.

If evidence is needed to support my claims, then allow me to bring up Protean Mega Rayquaza, a heavily outclassed Protean Pokemon with the same wallbreaking power as Mewtwo-Y and Mewtwo-X. Through the use of Spore, Mega Rayquaza is able to get past its most viable counter, Chansey, as well as debilitate potential switch-ins. Secret Sword is another viable move that works effectively against Fur Coat Chansey and various Steel-types. Mega Rayquaza's lower Speed stat allows it to utilise King's Shield effectively by, at the very least, resist incoming -ate attackers. Magma Storm allows Mega Rayquaza to defeat Shedinja, Registeel, and Aegislash. Damage calculations are as follows:

• 252 SpA Life Orb Protean Mega Rayquaza Secret Sword vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Fur Coat Chansey: 308-363 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Protean Mega Rayquaza Night Daze vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 118-140 (18.3 - 21.8%) -- possible 5HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Protean Mega Rayquaza Night Daze vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Giratina: 296-351 (58.8 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Protean Mega Rayquaza Night Daze vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias: 218-260 (59.8 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Protean Mega Rayquaza Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 328-385 (90.1 - 105.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Protean Mega Rayquaza Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 296-351 (81.3 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Protean Mega Rayquaza Night Daze vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 250-296 (77.1 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can see, all its potential switch-ins are either 2HKO'd or crippled by Spore. Just like Aerilate Mega Rayquaza, Protean Mega Rayquaza simply needs a move change to get past its common counters. Of course, Aerilate Mega Rayquaza's impact in the current metagame makes this a poor analogy, but it cannot be denied that Protean Mega Rayquaza is an unhealthy Pokemon in the current metagame, despite its usage.

Last edited:
What I do not understand here is why people seem to be very much in support for an Aerilate + Rayquaza ban as Flint has suggested but seem to not give the same preferential treatment to Kyogre, who would probably be completely balanced if we banned Kyogre + Poison Heal instead. Likewise, Groudon would probably be fine if we banned Groudon alongside all of Precipice Blades, Thousand Arrows, and V-Create. It's the same complex ban idea and would fix the Pokemon, but it seems that nobody is even paying attention to these options. Why? Because it would get to the point where fine tuning our bans would be absolutely ridiculous.

While we're at it why not ban Pure Power + moves with a base power over 80? It would work fine! Or Wonder Guard on all Pokemon with 5 weaknesses or more? That would probably work fine too! Arena Trap and Shadow Tag on Pokemon with 400 BST or less? The sky's the limit!

If you're going to say I'm being intentionally facetious, yes, I am to an extent. But the issue I'm tackling here is what people rooting for an Aerilate + Rayquaza ban do not seem to properly understand: that this road leads to such facetious ideas.

This is a meaningless question because I already don't think that banning an ability on a mon is needlessly complex but I shall humor it anyway. We stop based on the arguments that will be posed in this thread, that is the whole point of the suspect thread, and we all will have a say of what is overly complex. We aren't making a clause that "raymega is in the tier if it doesn't have any normal moves, if it is running iron ball, if it has 0 ivs in speed, and if the user of the ray plays without a mouse" here. If it is taking more effort to keep a mon in a tier than it would to ban it, then that is when it needs to be banned imo. This is completely not applicable here. If you are going through with this argument then you are simply being facetious.
It is applicable here, because perhaps they don't need to be as necessarily complex as you make them out to be. All of my ideas above could be summarized in one statement and exception like your proposed ban, and are relatively easy to understand and achieve the same idea of balance as Aerilate + Rayquaza, nor does it take much effort to apply these bans. Where do we draw the line you're stating here anyway, and for what reasons should it be drawn at that point?

You state in your complex banning reasoning as well that:
The first point is also completely inapplicable to BH because the ability defines the role of a pokemon in this meta. You can't say "oh look Raymega is broken on aerilate, so we should ban it because it will behave the same across all of the sets". It just doesn't work. Raymega has drastically different sets for Aerilate, Tinted, Contrary, Gale Wings, PH, Fur Coat, Magic Guard and all. There is simply no way to blanket all of them together.
But you neglect to think of the idea that the same concept can be applied to the banned abilities equally as well (moreso in BH, since they're the primary bans), which pretty much dampers this argument. Given your reasoning I cannot see any good reason why we also shouldn't follow through with:
  • Kyogre + Poison Heal
  • Groudon + Precipice / TA / V-Create
  • Pure/Huge Power + moves with a base power over 80
  • Wonder Guard on all Pokemon with 5 weaknesses or more
  • Arena Trap and Shadow Tag on Pokemon with 400 BST or less
  • And more for our other abilities!
Or if you still don't acknowledge this argument for some reason then at least the first two, since Kyogre and Groudon are pretty much fine otherwise (And if you disagree, then we can discuss alternatives to making them balanced!). Of course we wouldn't do this, because it's ridiculous. But this is the road we're heading down.

Here are 2 other points which I stumbled upon in your post which don't fit into my argument but are incorrect:
This is actually completely false, because:
  • The complex bans were removed in AAA some time ago because myself and everyone else on the council realized it wasn't consistent.
  • Sableye was banned from being Inherited from outright in Inheritance, which is pretty much the equivalent of a straight out ban.
  • In Averagemons this complex ban was done only so Mega Sableye, a completely different Pokemon than regular Sableye, could be used, and Mamp explicitly stated it was not a precedent and would never happen again for obvious reasons.

Furthermore, this "tradition" business for not allowing a complex ban is ludicrous. How do you qualify complex? I'd say we have already started with complex decisions with the Assist vote (which was the preferred decision over banning Groudon Primal at the time)
Assist is not a complex ban, as it is the ban of one move and one move only without any additional exceptions. In addition, Assist was banned because people knew that the same garbage could pretty much be spammed with any other Pokemon with any other reasonably high powered move to the same results of winning/losing against good teams on team match-up, which is why it was banned and not Groudon.

Last edited:
The whole argument of Ray+Aerilate ban vs Ray ban boils down to each person's opinions on complex bans and whether or not we are willing to sacrifice usability in the name of simplicity. What I mean by this is that each new rule for a meta increases the complexity of it, the entry barrier, and the learning curve by a little bit. When learning curves are high for any game or meta then it turns off newcomers from playing it. For example I will never play that meta Adrian made that was based on the first number in each base stat, as I and most other people would rather not play MS Excel the meta. Similarly we can compare the popularity of AAA vs Ability Shift. AAA is simple in concept and was quite popular in its prime. As a contrast Ability Shift requires quite a bit of straight memorization of what pokes get what new ability and because of this will never reach the same level of popularity. Another example that is a bit closer to home is Classic Hackmons. CH was super easy to explain to people. "You can use anything on any pokemon. Have fun." Despite the meta itself not being friendly to new players, it always had a healthy crop of lower ladder peeps and dwarfed our tier in popularity. I would say that this was due in part to the simplicity of the ruleset to learn, or in this case the complete lack of any.

Now what I have said probably makes it seem like we should never have any rules and all metas should be CH or AG, but we must inevitably impose some rules to keep the meta fun and have interesting gameplay. The absolute ideal we should strive for is banning the least amount of stuff possible, with only rules that are easy for newbie1234 to understand and remember. We need the ease of learning to attract new people and the balanced gameplay to keep them hooked. The problem that everybody is arguing about is a simple question of should we ban less stuff and have a more complex ruleset or ban more stuff with a simpler ruleset. For an example of these two philosophies I propose this: 5th gen OU was balanced by a policy of simple bans of pokemon, but this alternatively could have been done by complex banning each aspect of these pokemon that makes them undesirable for the meta. Some of the suspect tested bans like Deoxys-A and Genesect would probably have proven too versatile to be neutered by complex bans but the rest could have followed in a way that I imagine would have looked something like this:

Darkrai+Dark Void
Darkrai+Nasty Plot
Blaziken+Speed Boost
Excadrill+Sand Rush
Landorus+Sheer Force
Manaphy+Tail Glow
Deoxys-S+Stealth Rock
Deoxys-S+Spikes
Deoxys-D+Stealth Rock
Deoxys-D+Spikes
Shaymin-S+Air Slash
Shaymin-S+Seed Flare
Thunderus-I+Nasty Plot
Tornadus-T+Hurricane

5th gen OU with this banlist instead of the straight bans on these pokemon would have been more inclusive and have more allowed pokemon, but would have come at a cost of an increased burden on knowledge to play the tier. If this sort of policy creates a more or less desirable metagame is up to each person to decide. Personally I am of the mind that simple more broad bans are more desirable, but there is no objective right or wrong answer here, only tradeoffs.

Last edited:

E4 Flint

What I do not understand here is why people seem to be very much in support for an Aerilate + Rayquaza ban as Flint has suggested but seem to not give the same preferential treatment to Kyogre, who would probably be completely balanced if we banned Kyogre + Poison Heal instead. Likewise, Groudon would probably be fine if we banned Groudon alongside all of Precipice Blades, Thousand Arrows, and V-Create. It's the same complex ban idea and would fix the Pokemon, but it seems that nobody is even paying attention to these options. Why? Because it would get to the point where fine tuning our bans would be absolutely ridiculous.

While we're at it why not ban Pure Power + moves with a base power over 80? It would work fine! Or Wonder Guard on all Pokemon with 5 weaknesses or more? That would probably work fine too! Arena Trap and Shadow Tag on Pokemon with 400 BST or less? The sky's the limit!

If you're going to say I'm being intentionally facetious, yes, I am to an extent. But the issue I'm tackling here is what people rooting for an Aerilate + Rayquaza ban do not seem to properly understand: that this road leads to such facetious ideas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum
The very same argument could apply to your preference for Pokemon bans. All right, let's ban RayquazaMega cause it is broken with a single set, Aerilate. Let's also ban DiancieMega tomorrow if you feel it is broken with Pixilate; then regular Rayquaza, then KyuremWhite and so on and so forth, all because your possible opinion could change. Similarly, Rayquaza is great with protean so let's ban it; unfortunately Adrian posted only special calcs', so everything there can be done better by MewtwoMegaY, so let's ban him too. MewtwoMegaX can do nearly the same except use the physical spectrum, so let's ban him as well. DeoxysA has the same offenses as Rayquaza meaning that you HAVE to revenge kill him since you have no switch in, just like you would for the other Proteans; let's ban him as well.
It can also extend to your ludicrous "counterarguments"; instead of banning all moves except for 80BP, let's simply ban all the mons with less than 100 base stat in Attack or Special Attack! Instead of banning Wonder Guard on a Pokemon, why can we not ban the Pokemon directly? I'm telling you, it's not Wonder Guard that's broken, all the pokemon are, so let's just ban them all! Yeah, I'm sure that would work just as well.

Sure what you're saying can happen, but that doesn't mean it will, because what you're saying will happen has no real foundation in common sense. We as a community will have the main role in figuring out at what point something crosses over from being a necessary minor complexity, to basically trying to create crutches to keep something in the game. I know you're ready to counter "but what is that point at which we cross" and don't fret, because it is coming after this.

As for your so called claim that we are showing "preferential" treatment to MegaRay, then I would have to say that that is just in your imagination. Sure you could say that we can try to extend the argument to PH Kyogre, if you ignore every other aspect that it outshines Raymega in, and the fact that it is completely dominant in the tier with multiple abilities defensive and offensive purely because of what it inherently has; a good defensive and offensive stab typing with lesser used weaknesses and the ability to overcome nearly every threat without straying too far into coverage or relying on a single ability. I've already posed why Kyogre and Groudon should be held as that standard of "what makes a pokemon broken in BH" and that is where we should want to show that Ray is. If you want to argue that KyogrePrimal is not broken without PH, then be my guest, but I already understand that you do not think that is true, and neither do others in this thread, so this entire claim is void in itself. I do not believe it either, or I would say the same thing for KyogrePrimal and PH.

Or if you still don't acknowledge this argument for some reason then at least the first two, since Kyogre and Groudon are pretty much fine otherwise (And if you disagree, then we can discuss alternatives to making them balanced!). Of course we wouldn't do this, because it's ridiculous. But this is the road we're heading down.
I personally do not think things will become quite as extreme as you are trying to make it out to be. Refer to this post which I found which I think describes what I am trying to say: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/prefer-banning-pokémon-instead-of-items-abilities.3500294/#post-5250718, and be sure to look at his other examples since you don't think mine were applicable.
Getting rid of Aerilate on Raymega is the most concise step that can be taken that also allows it to still remain usable.

There is quite a big difference between stopping the use of a single ability on MegaRay and forcing movechecks on Thosand Arrows et al, because there will always be other ways to exploit nearly the same strategy. You can use EQ with gravity if you wished, go the special side - how many moves are you going to stop? Is stopping Groudon from running potetnailly tens or hundreds of moves that make most sets similar the same level of "complex behavior" as not allowing a single ability on Raymega that cannot be replicated by any other? Not to mention, Don's main power comes from its stabs and he is already broken on them, so that is even before we have touched on the fact that he can still run coverage with his main moves. Meanwhile, if you get rid of Aerilate, and its sister ates if you wish, on Raymega, there is no way it reaches the same properties it has with them.

This is actually completely false, because:
  • The complex bans were removed in AAA some time ago because myself and everyone else on the council realized it wasn't consistent.
  • Sableye was banned from being Inherited from outright in Inheritance, which is pretty much the equivalent of a straight out ban.
  • In Averagemons this complex ban was done only so Mega Sableye, a completely different Pokemon than regular Sableye, could be used, and Mamp explicitly stated it was not a precedent and would never happen again for obvious reason
I was unaware of this information, although I think it's interesting to note that:
  • Surely you thought that complex banning was the correct decision but you seemed to have changed it purely because complex bans are distasteful apparently, not because there seemed to be any problem in the clauses themselves (or why would you have passed them in the first place). In any case, I assure you I would've argued for complex bans in AAA in the same way as I am here, if I was involved there and I've already put this opinion to you before
  • When I referred to the sableye problem in Inheritance, I was pointing out how the set derived from Sableye was banned; NOT the Pokemon that worked best to the point of being broken with the set in question, such as Chansey. Why not just ban the biggest offenders, because I'm sure the set could be more or less fine on something like Dratini and Kakuna?
  • I feel that the comparision with averagemons is still actually quite relevant. Sableye Mega is not a completely different Pokemon (because the stats are normalized here), its role and its set are completely different to the one that the prankster version uses. How is that any different from what I was saying about MegaRay being a completely different thing if it is using Aerilate and if it is using Adaptibility or Protean? How are those sets related? I shall revisit this point, but furthermore, I don't see why you cannot argue that this is "just a one off" occasion in BH as well; that is just a lazy way to bend the rules
Assist is not a complex ban, as it is the ban of one move and one move only without any additional exceptions. In addition, Assist was banned because people knew that the same garbage could pretty much be spammed with any other Pokemon with any other reasonably high powered move to the same results of winning/losing against good teams on team match-up, which is why it was banned and not Groudon.
I don't think you understand me. I am bringing into question what your supposed definition of complexity is. To me, assist was a complex decision, because the reasons it was banned are not immediately clear to a new user first time. Many times we had people coming into the OM room asking why Assist is banned, since it seems to be innocuous enough. Then you have to explain, that with a certain exploit and a certain move, Assist can be uncounterable by the majority of the tier. How is this any different from the so called "complexity" when one asks why Aerilate is not allowed on Raymega? The ability clause is another decision that we all passed, that seems complex to me and requires explanation. What exactly made us decide on the arbitrary two on a team other than the persuasion of certain players? Is there any justification behind having two instead of one or three? None of these are answered even to date. It is more than just the simple wording of a clause that makes something complex. As mentioned in that post I referenced, complex situations are bound to happen. This gets back to your point here

It is applicable here, because perhaps they don't need to be as necessarily complex as you make them out to be. All of my ideas above could be summarized in one statement and exception like your proposed ban, and are relatively easy to understand and achieve the same idea of balance as Aerilate + Rayquaza, nor does it take much effort to apply these bans. Where do we draw the line you're stating here anyway, and for what reasons should it be drawn at that point?
You are a clever guy because you know already that there is no concrete place to keep a line because it is not possible to have one due to the shifting nature of the game. However that just makes this concern meaningless. I already pointed out that as a group we will decide at what point it is taking more effort to keep something in the tier than remove, and it has to go beyond just a simple wording "complexity" because that is not really complex. You can say a ton of the most complex ideas possible in the blandest terms. Furthermore, the line is already drawn; we are only focusing on three Pokemon yes that are broken? It is not like anything we decide will somehow invalidate earlier pokemon bans because they aren't any. And all the bans that we have already agreed on had their own basis and I doubt any of them were dependent purely on any of these 'mons, so why bring them into this at all? Besides, if you truly want a concrete way, then again I would refer to that post because it seems a solid starting step and again would like to reiterate that as a community we will provide the decision when it is causing more pain to keep a 'mon than ban it, so the hysterical ending you predict as inevitable is actually never going to happen. I don't want to say anything concrete in case it bites me in the ass later one, but I think that if you want a pokemon banned in bh, a meta where the moves and abilities can be nearly limitless across all mons thus providing less distinguishing factors, then there must be something inherently unique in that Pokemon that makes it difficult to stop and difficult to kill even if you make a concerted effort to do so, across different sets i.e. again, what a pokemon itself can bring into the table. If you look at my previous major post, you can see why I group Don and Ogre together to show that they do follow this loose guideline and that banning them is the correct decision as per the initial "rules" provided in that post I referenced.

Before you go into how later in that thread Zarel and the rest actually slammed down that post and others similar, I would just like to point out once again what their arguments actually are, which again can be summarized as:
However, the decision was ultimately made to not do so based on two basic points, which across all the posts I've read, can be summarized as:

which also addresses Kumi's points and arguments as to why those clauses he lists were not in the tier, bar the one that "noobs should understand the tier in one line or less" which besides being an excuse more than an argument, is a threshold I think we already crossed with our decisions already, something which I know Kumi agrees with already (without any further clauses). I personally agree that there are tradeoffs just like with anything else; I just think that banning Ray has a bigger negative than just banning Raymega with Aerilate.

Finally, I would just like to let you know that I was really intrigued by your post and I think you did an excellent job in delving into the semantics of complexity et al; truly, it was a masterclass in deflecting attention away from the main question:

If a pokemon is not inherently broken how can you justify banning it?

And I already know why; you and Adrian have already agreed with me on multiple occasions in the OM chat that if Aerilate is not on Rayquaza, you both would relax your stance on it, and that evidence does not support that he is broken. And I cannot fathom the idea that if you do not think the mon is broken, why it needs to be banned.To me, all this talk of complexity semantics frankly seems like this decision is turning more into "let's just get rid of it, I don't want to have to deal with it anymore" than any concrete or fundamental issue or concern with the complexity of clauses and the impact they can have on an "innocent victim" new player. This seems incredibly unfair because if the -ates are suspected, which I am confident they shall be after this, then this decision to ban ray is completely pointless and baseless; banning Raymega now is the most favorable because you can just get it out of the way, and then still get rid of -ate later on, by which time there will very likely be extremely little interest in retesting Raymega again, meaning it was banned for no other reason than sheer laziness instead of an indepth look at its place in the tier. Besides, I don't know how you cannot look at it on the flip side; if RayquazaMega is broken even without -ate, then we can always ban him later as well - once we have seen that it really is impossible to counter across most of his sets and even a concerted effort isn't enough to keep it in its place. That seems to cause the least damage to me.

Also I think it is just a good idea to start wrapping up this argument here because it is clear that we are not going to agree. I just wanted to put my opinion forward though I'm sure it will not be read and I shall be outnumbered as usual. So I am going to refrain from posting now beyond addressing specific counter responses to this post.

Last edited:
I'm probably not going to be able to make reqs since I think the suspect period will end before I'm home against with computer access. (My phone really doesn't like Showdown.) But, I feel like bringing up a couple of points.

First, will the Pokebans, if they go through (and I really don't see Pdon or Pogre surviving the bans based on what's been said, Mquaz is harder to judge), will their respective Orbs/mega methods also be banned? Granted, we've never banned anything + megastone. But also granted, we've never banned a Pokemon. Plus it's worth noting that Pdon still gets one of its best offensive and defensive abilities with the Red Orb, hence why it's a concern to me.

Second, though I always support voting/suspecting based on the current environment rather than what may or may not happen (I was the one who said that, by the way, not sure if Adrian said it too), it's worth pointing out to the "blah blah could be suspected/retested next" crowd that, if Mquaz is not banned and -ate is banned next, the best checks to all of its other sets by far will be gone, notably Gale Wings and Protean, especially since it won't need King's Shield anymore, so its coverage will be freed up. Figured that might be interesting food for thought.

...and jeeze, typing up something that long on a phone is a pain in the butt. I really should consider replacing my dead laptop for trips...

No, only the Mega/Primal formes are being suspected at this time. If Primal Kyogre is banned, for example, Kyogre @ Blue Orb is still legal.

To be completely honest; I fail to see a good reasoning for Mega-Ray to be excluded, considering he's the highest BST of all mons right now
Sure, the typing dragon/flying isn't ideal with its 4x ice weakness, rock weakness and so on, and you can try argue the -ate is what makes its so strong..
...buuuut, it won't ignore the fact that hey, this thing is still an insane power house with amazing mixed stats and extremely great wall breaking potential.

Mega-Ray doesn't need -ate to be broken, it can still use gale wings and pretty much become the best abuser of it if it is banned with -ate, and considering it's mixed stat spread, it can play around it's usualy counters lot more easier if it is afraid of being walled by certain threats.
Mega ray isn't always so easy to play around as it might seem and it has insane lot of potential, and its very over centralizing as it is, mega ray will have shit ton time easier to switch in on things when primals are gone and will be way easier to abuse if its left as exceptition.

Hell, the thing is, mega ray has so so much potential for all sort of sets and so much power, if it wasn't for the two other primals threatening it and having better offers on the table.

E4 Flint

Just a small aside, I would just like to point out that Dragonite is no longer allowed a mega evo in Mix n Mega for being overwhelmingly powerful with pixilate and aerilate from altaria and pinsir respectively. However, Dragonite was not banned completely - only sets on him. Hmm that seems familiar somehow..

Last edited:

MAMP

MAMP!
Just a small aside, I would just like to point out that Dragonite is no longer allowed a mega evo in Mix n Mega for being overwhelmingly powerful with pixilate and aerilate from altaria and pinsir respectively. However, Dragonite was not banned completely. Hmm..
Mix and Mega is a different matter entirely, it's based in Ubers and has a strong precedent of barring Pokemon from holding mega stones when they prove to be broken. It wouldn't make any sense to outright ban Dragonite when Arceus is legal in the tier. If Dragonite had been banned from holding Pinsirite/Altarianite then you might have a point, but that was not what happened and your argument here is fallacious. In any case, saying 'this tier did it so it must be alright' is hardly a reasonable point, especially considering that I have seen countless users in the OM room complaining that they find Mix and Mega difficult to understand; exactly the sort of thing we're trying to avoid by outright banning Mega Ray and not Ray + Aerilate.

As for what you said about Mega Sableye in Averagemons higher up, Mega Sableye was unbanned because I felt it would ultimately improve the metagame, a tool for stall to help it deal with Spike stacking offense teams and Pokemon like Swoobat which otherwise would steamroll it. To be quite honest its a decision that I'm still kinda iffy about, and its certainly not something I would have done had Kl4ng and Adrian not convinced me.

It's no secret that the reason this suspect took so long to come about is because of the anti-Pokemon ban sentiment that a large portion of the BH community holds. This is a mentality that I feel is really stifling the potential of the tier, and I really hope that people don't see this suspect test as an exception to a rule; if more Pokemon prove to be broken in the future, I really hope it doesn't take us 6 months to suspect them like it did for these three. Personally, I feel that Protean is an issue that really needs to be looked at - Protean's sheer unpredictability and raw power on Pokemon like the Mewtwos and Latis is insane, and the recent rise of Judgment Protean has meant that it can safely run perfect coverage without fear of Imposter. As for whether the issue is Protean or just the Mega Mewtwos I'm not sure, but either way I feel that a suspect is in order.

E4 Flint

I just thought it was an interesting parallel since as you said it is an ubers based tier, where nothing else (bar Raymega ofc) is banned - just like BH where currently nothing else is banned as well. Besides, most of the logic people hold here is that if there is a set that is broken then the mon should be banned, which is a practice that is not really suitable to non-standard tiers, which is what I was trying to show. Most people's main logic is that there is no other precedent of this. I was highlighting this point alone, my reasons for not banning Raymega have already been stated, so if you find this one fallacious, feel free to refer to them again.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
*gulp*...okay...here we go...im going to do it...im seriously going to suggest something that might get me killed...so please have mercy:

"maybe we should just restrict all megas to their stones" yes. im bringing this up again... as clearly their power creep(after the EV limit) has SOME sort of negative effect. with less "superthreats" to prepare for, the meta would probably be a bit more stable and less "wacky". Honestly, sure, it might not be the worst case we have seen, but clearly the mega's are unhealthy. having so many diverse typed, overpowered and/or super fast threats to prepare for is completely ridiculous and tedious to accommodate for. remember when chansey used to be able to counter contrary users? remember when registeel was capable of shrugging off resisted special hits (im talking 4hko, not the barely 3hko he gets nowadays)? remember when power actually came at the price of speed?! like. i know this entire community is against me on this, due to it limiting creativity, or everything would be stable if "so so" happened or "what if" scenarios, but lets be honest here. we aren't going to come to an agreement, and eventually we will keep banning shit until this meta just becomes stale to look at. by destroying megas, you open up an entire new metagame, where the most "fearful" pokemon you need to prepare for is kyurem white, mewtwo, and palkia. but not to worry, new checks like volcanion, ferrothorn, yveltal and darmanitan zen rise to take on these beasts. when you take away megas, you take away a lot of power, letting some defensive pokemon...*gasp* actually stop the things they are meant to stop! it wont be a perfectly balanced meta, but it wont be a crapish meta like it is now. where the best teams are literally ate, ateblock, powerhouse, chansey, fur coat/bouncer/PHer, and shedinja/moldy/filler.

look, i love megas just as much as all of you guys do. but i feel like enough is enough. and its time to take a step back from these powerhouses and take a breather. or at least seriously consider it.

*takes cover in barbed wire trench* OK. IM READY FOR THE ANGRY COUNTER-ARGUMENT BOMBARDMENT, LETS GO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)