Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shift Gear
- Earthquake
- Bolt Beak
- Taunt​

Calcs:
+1 252 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eternatus: 360-426 (74.3 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Melmetal: 168-198 (35.4 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zamazenta-Crowned: 270-318 (69.5 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Hippowdon Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Golisopod: 284-336 (80.2 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
+1 252 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Reshiram: 348-410 (86.1 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zacian-Crowned: 212-252 (54.6 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Zacian-Crowned Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Hippowdon: 211-249 (50.2 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Zekrom Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Hippowdon: 140-168 (33.3 - 40%) -- approx. 3HKO
+1 252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Hippowdon: 310-366 (73.8 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

What this set does:
Quite a tanky mon so can take hits even without any ability/defensive moves. Sets up unexpectedly and uses the fact that ground has like 1 resist in the meta to make progress against the opponents team.

Why this set sucks:
Hippo is slow af so u need to run jolly to outspeed stuff like mewtwo, zama, etern, darmgz at +2 which is a huge pain. Hippo is also not that strong so fc mons can be a big pain even if they are weak to eq, especially if they have spectral so they outspeed the turn taunt ends and can heal up again. Prank mons who don't straight up die are also a problem.
An alternative is Seismitoad who can run stab fish (which is stronker but worse coverage) much faster while having roughly the same power since you can run ada and it's defensive typing is more useful in a lot of cases. Basically the same thing tho maybe better.
Seismitoad @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Earthquake
- Fishious Rend / Bolt Beak
- Taunt

Disclaimer I'm not going to post a set every day, this just happens to be the set of today.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm bored (hi bored) and I saw will and some of you guys sharing some new meta sets here, so today I'm here to present to you an underrated set in the meta:

:ss/zekrom:
Black Lives Matter (Zekrom) @ Choice Band
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Naughty/Adamant Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Dragon Darts
- Earthquake
- Volt Switch

Why Band Zekrom (or Scarf, see below) is underrated:
  • 90% of the Zekroms run Poison Heal as they offer great splashability and has great attack and tanks hits and has great longetivity. Provided Zekrom's mediocre speed tier, Zekrom did not see much usage with a Choiced 4 Attacks set.
  • A Band set, however, provides immediate power in Bolt Beak and Dragon Darts and puts great pressure on slower teams, especially with Intrepid Sword. Though it may not outspeed many faster Pokemon, it still tanks at least a hit or two with its good overall bulk and can threaten to KO with strong STABs, even without boosts from Bolt Beak. Or, a Scarfed set outspeeds most faster threats and KO with a boosted Bolt Beak.
  • Bolt Beak kinda fell out of the meta after (Fur Coat) Eternatus rose up. Pokemon like Bolt Beak Zeraora (or Fish Rend Barraskewda, same logic) struggled to break through as almost every team carried an Eternatus. Zekrom, however, still does its duties in firing off powerful Bolt Beaks, while also threatening to OHKO or heavily weaken Eternatus as a Bolt Beak check.

What this set does:
  • Remember the E-Surge teams when BH8 first came out? They were all over the meta and are now nowhere to be seen. Zekrom is one of the greatest abusers of it. I believe that it didn't really become worse, and perhaps its even stronger with the abundant Eternatuses right now.
  • This set uses Adamant Band to maximize its firepower versus slower teams, while ISword is replaced with Surge Surfer to make it insanely fast and strong under E-Terrain.
  • With Dynamax (which is fairly common on it) it can summon its own terrain without a support mon with Electric Surge. For example, it can Dynamax to live an Icicle Crash from DGZ, use Max Lightning to (maybe) OHKO it, and suddenly you're fast af and will do some serious damage with boosted Bolt Beaks.
What this set lacks:
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Zekrom Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Eternatus: 228-268 (47.1 - 55.3%) -- approx. 7% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery :psyduck: Although it matches well versus Eternatus in theory, realistically it couldnt even consistently 2HKO it.
  • Without E-Terrain support its kinda meh at best, actually taking a lot damage from common fast attackers like Darmanitan-Galar-Zen or Zacian-Crowned.
Given that this set is pretty situational to function well, here's a Scarf set with a similar concept which performs more consistently:
Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intrepid Sword
Naughty/Jolly Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Dragon Darts
- Earthquake
- Volt Switch​

This set consistently outspeeds up to Zacian-Crowned if Jolly, while Naughty/Adamant reaches 418 to outpace up to Zamazenta/Zacian. It works similarly with the gamer set above but more consistently, having the same power level (outside eterrain) and better speed control. One may say that it is forced to run Jolly to outspeed Zac-C and loses raw power and doesn't even OHKO it from full but I believe it's still very strong and a very considerable option to run.

+1 252 Atk Zekrom Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zacian-Crowned: 331-391 (85.3 - 100.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO :psyduck:

That's all for my sharing today thanks for reading and hope you would try out this underrated Zekrom set, despite its few drawbacks, in the future. Have a good day :D

E: sorry no replays i havent touched ladder for months

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Hi everyone, I'm bored (hi bored) and I saw will and some of you guys sharing some new meta sets here, so today I'm here to present to you an underrated set in the meta:

Black Lives Matter (Zekrom) @ Choice Band
Ability: Surge Surfer
Naughty/Adamant Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Dragon Darts
- Earthquake
- Volt Switch

Why Band Zekrom (or Scarf, see below) is underrated:
  • 90% of the Zekroms run Poison Heal as they offer great splashability and has great attack and tanks hits and has great longetivity. Provided Zekrom's mediocre speed tier, Zekrom did not see much usage with a Choiced 4 Attacks set.
  • A Band set, however, provides immediate power in Bolt Beak and Dragon Darts and puts great pressure on slower teams, especially with Intrepid Sword. Though it may not outspeed many faster Pokemon, it still tanks at least a hit or two with its good overall bulk and can threaten to KO with strong STABs, even without boosts from Bolt Beak. Or, a Scarfed set outspeeds most faster threats and KO with a boosted Bolt Beak.
  • Bolt Beak kinda fell out of the meta after (Fur Coat) Eternatus rose up. Pokemon like Bolt Beak Zeraora (or Fish Rend Barraskewda, same logic) struggled to break through as almost every team carried an Eternatus. Zekrom, however, still does its duties in firing off powerful Bolt Beaks, while also threatening to OHKO or heavily weaken Eternatus as a Bolt Beak check.

What this set does:
  • Remember the E-Surge teams when BH8 first came out? They were all over the meta and are now nowhere to be seen. Zekrom is one of the greatest abusers of it. I believe that it didn't really become worse, and perhaps its even stronger with the abundant Eternatuses right now.
  • This set uses Adamant Band to maximize its firepower versus slower teams, while ISword is replaced with Surge Surfer to make it insanely fast and strong under E-Terrain.
  • With Dynamax (which is fairly common on it) it can summon its own terrain without a support mon with Electric Surge. For example, it can Dynamax to live an Icicle Crash from DGZ, use Max Lightning to (maybe) OHKO it, and suddenly you're fast as fuck and will do some serious damage with boosted Bolt Beaks.
What this set lacks:
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Zekrom Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Eternatus: 228-268 (47.1 - 55.3%) -- approx. 7% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery :psyduck: Although it matches well versus Eternatus in theory, realistically it couldnt even consistently 2HKO it.
  • Without E-Terrain support its kinda meh at best, actually taking a lot damage from common fast attackers like Darmanitan-Galar-Zen or Zacian-Crowned.
Given that this set is pretty situational to function well, here's a Scarf set with a similar concept which performs more consistently:
Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Naughty/Jolly Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Dragon Darts
- Earthquake
- Volt Switch​

This set consistently outspeeds up to Zacian-Crowned if Jolly, while Naughty/Adamant reaches 418 to outpace up to Zamazenta/Zacian. It works similarly with the gamer set above but more consistently, having the same power level (excluding eterrain) and better speed control. One may say that it is forced to run Jolly to outspeed Zac-C and loses raw power and doesn't even OHKO it from full but I believe it's still very strong and a very considerable option to run.

+1 252 Atk Zekrom Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zacian-Crowned: 331-391 (85.3 - 100.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO :psyduck:

That's all for my sharing today thanks for reading and hope you would try out this underrated Zekrom set in the future. Have a good day :D

E: sorry no replays i havent touched ladder for months

also black lives matter please
Honestly, to make yourself more Imposterproof, I suggest Speed Boost and Choice Band over Scarf and Intrepid Sword.

Pros:
Speed Boost Imposter doesn’t gain the +1 Speed you do when it is switched / slow pivoted in, as it has to be in during the entire turn to earn the boost. This lets you hit non-Scarf (I.e. Shed Shell) first with Dragon Darts...

252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Zekrom Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Wobbuffet: 384-456 (65.7 - 78%) -- approx. 2HKO

Unlike Intrepid Sword, Scarf Imposter doesn’t get to boost its Atk +2 from its own switch-in, who can Speed Tie and force you out at double Attack.

Choice Band is a power item, not ability, allowing you to not boost the foe.

Spectral Thief / Haze doesn’t stop your sweep, because you replenish Speed at the end of the turn (say they use Type: Null/Snorlax, your Speed at the end of the turn makes you faster once again) and Speed is less of a threat to your own Zekrom than boosting your opponent’s Attack on their Spectral Thief.

I actually was going to post a Speed Boost Reshiram I have been using for a few days, but I think Zekrom’s Bolt Beal is easier since it has greater base power.

Speed Boost doesn’t lose Speed upon Dynamaxing, speaking of, why not replace a move with Close Combat? You can boost Attack this way, and break past Pokemon like Ferrothorn this way.

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
The soundtrack single to my newest post!

The Replay as you listen to the track:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1128690020

The key is being able to outspeed and catch people by surprise. And when the surprise is over... Too late! Haha :v4: Reshiram is already faster than you, and has a coverage move for nearly every type!

Zacian, at the end; who could have KO’d it if it was slower, or if it was scarfed into a STAB attack, stood no chance! Imagine if you used Speed Boost on your sweeper! No set up moves, or limitations to Scarf, just play as you normally do, and you can stack your attacks without a break!

I dub this miracle...

Debz O.G. (Reshiram) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Mild Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Bolt Beak
- Blue Flare

Debz starts things off with a surprise! I cannot tell you how many times I faced a slow pivot to a faster Pokemon they think can threaten such as Eternatus, as they didn’t see me use Quiver Dance, only to find out they are outsped by Speed Boost - triggered at the end of the turn.

Plus, Haze doesn’t help the opponent, as you replenish your Speed each turn!

The great thing about Dynamaxing is that it can combine Weather with Terrain, to boost its power, block Sleep, and can use Max Knuckle during Dynamax to better mix sweep with Bolt Beak.
Bolt Beak:

252 Atk Life Orb Reshiram Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Primarina: 398-468 (109.6 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Reshiram Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Keldeo: 385-455 (99.7 - 117.8%) -- 1HKO umhm!

Clanging Scales:

252+ SpA Life Orb Reshiram Clanging Scales vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eternatus: 468-554 (96.6 - 114.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Reshiram Clanging Scales vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Kyurem-White: 452-533 (99.5 - 117.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Reshiram Clanging Scales vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Reshiram: 398-471 (98.5 - 116.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Blue Flare:

252+ SpA Life Orb Reshiram Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Zamazenta-Crowned: 408-484 (105.1 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Focus Blast Vs Flash Fire:

252+ SpA Life Orb Reshiram Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Ferrothorn: 296-351 (84 - 99.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

252+ SpA Life Orb Reshiram Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Melmetal: 426-504 (89.8 - 106.3%) -- OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
I was inspired by my own prior post, in helping others with my idea, that I needed to do this separate post for myself!

Afterall, when things come full circle, they end where they began, with yourself!

Last edited:
With DLC 1 coming and Chansey ruining the meta by limiting defensive mons (at least it might get Dynamax banned), I figured I would drop all my non-gimmick teams that have been tested at least a few times and submit some for samples. Although I do think that most of these will need changes to be less Imposter-weak. A couple replays of seasonal matches can be found for some of these teams. Apart from seasonals I have also used the earlier teams on ladder and most of these teams in testing for OMPL.

:zekrom::zacian-crowned::keldeo-resolute::ferrothorn::zacian::zamazenta-crowned:
:zekrom::zacian-crowned::keldeo-resolute::ferrothorn::zacian::zamazenta-crowned:
Two versions for this team, this was built so long ago that I don’t really remember the building process but offensive utility Zekrom is really cool and can get Spikes up fairly easily while being a pain to actually remove unless you have something like Magic Bounce Steelix. The choice between the sets depends, with Magnet ISword being generally strong while Life Orb Adaptability lures and OHKOs Eternatus. Zacian-C complements with Stealth Rock, dual 170 BP moves help in long term games where checks like Steel-types get recovery stalled. Keldeo is a neat set that can soft check Darm while spreading burns and helping with the weather matchup; metronome was the item to be able to break past Etern by spamming Ice Beam. Ferrothorn improofs everything and is a bouncer; Zacian gives a SpD pivot that acts as removal and can slow stuff down for Zekrom and Keldeo, also acts as the EQ absorb after scouting moves; Zamazenta-C provides a Prankster and Kyurem switch-in etc.

:zekrom::darmanitan-zen::zacian::snorlax::solgaleo::eternatus:
The Zekrom set is just Glare over Spikes which allow you para stuff like Eternatus and Zamazenta-C. Metronome capitulates on the free turns from para because they would be clicking Recover more often to be safe. I don’t really remember the building process either but Darmanitan-Z, Zacian, Snorlax, and Eternatus form an alright defensive core (Snorlax can maybe be changed to PH since Prankster is less necessary). Levitate Darmanitan is a great check to stuff that rely on Ground-coverage like no 170 Zacian-C and Mewtwo. Volt Absorb Zacian soft improofs Zekrom and basically hard counters opposing Zekrom while acts as a secondary Fighting-resist, Knock Off absorber, and spinner. Snorlax is just a special sponge. Eternatus is a passive check, Aura Sphere is pretty cool since it has 32 PP which allows it to somewhat punish Umbreon and Snorlax switch-ins, also improofs Zekrom kinda.

:mewtwo::incineroar::gyarados::zacian-crowned::steelix::corviknight-gmax:
So this was the team I brought against PDT. It was built around this Mold Breaker Mewtwo set that I came up with after trying to work with Sheer Force and just not succeeding because it just struggles against RegenVests and Ice Scales. Then I think I took inspiration from a SL42 set in SM with the Moldy MMY since it has STAB Psystrike. Did a couple of calcs and turns out you need Life Orb to secure some kills with Moonblast (for Mandibuzz) and Earth Power, but Strength Sap helps alleviate that. After that I used Corviknight to improof the Mewtwo, Brave Bird gives a Flying-STAB for Windrage and does a really nice chunk to Golisopod and Zamazenta, Lava Plume on Mewtwo and Darm-Z to improof is an option that gives Imposter less healing but iirc Earth Power hits some benchmarks on like Zamazenta-C so I prefer Corvi. Zacian-C was a nice fit to also be improofed by Corvi and is just a generally difficult threat to deal with from previous weeks and can help out tremendously against RegenVesters and act as a nice recipient for physical passes from Corvi. Steelix deals with Zekrom while Incineroar is a special blanket against Kyurem-W and Lunala which can threaten the two Steel-types heavily while also providing crucial Knock Off support. Gyarados was added as a spinner as I thought spin + Rend was a cool combo and it also helps with improofing Zacian-C since Corvi gets worn down really quickly, but this teamslot is probably the biggest weakness and could likely be changed. I think my matchup for this game was probably alright because of Mewtwo, but the turns against Reshiram was just a hard misplay/misprediction.

Some other useable teams in my builder, maybe you can find some use with the teams or the sets in them:
https://pokepast.es/6c5572c1cfa55dca
https://pokepast.es/e030adb884d7ba03 (Illegal Smash)
https://pokepast.es/20da19a1497b46ec
https://pokepast.es/98fb9dbec9b9ffb2

Metagame Thoughts
So I probably should’ve posted this in my VR update, whatever.
Unlike certain opinions, I find that this meta is pretty enjoyable and fun to play, with quite a lot of room for innovation (albeit only for the high BST mons) and creativity. Teams have a large selection of offensive breakers and support, as well as many different possible effective defensive cores that utilize a plethora of different mons. It’s been really fun building teams around new ideas and sets, although I can see ladder being quite a bit worse in this regard. There aren’t any really problematic aspects of this meta that I have really found restricting during building except for maybe Zacian-C but I don’t find that overly powerful/restrictive/broken, it’s just too fast. The only thing that should go is Dynamax, hopefully with the blobs it gets too strong and goes.

The meta is dominated by Poison Heal, which is a pretty obvious trend considering people (like MAMP) have been running triple PH teams to success. There haven’t been an effective way to pressure the PH mons since hardly anyone is using Entrainment/Worry Seed/Gastro Acid alongside trapping and Purify is a niche tech at most. This is likely due to defensive mons not having the room to run them mostly in favour of pivoting, which is really strong because it gives your own PH mons free recovery and also brings in the strong breakers. PH mons are just really efficient right now because they can mitigate chip damage really easily and none of the defensive mons have really strong damage output. The main utilizers have been Reshiram and Zekrom, but other ones like Golisopod and Snorlax are quite prevalent as well.

Likely due to the unhealthy influence of Dynamax, frailer wallbreakers have been low on usage. This includes Zeraora, Barraskewda, and even the Snowman to an extent. Players have been favouring using bulkier mons like Reshiram, Zekrom, Mewtwo, etc to utilize breaking sets because of their lower risk in using. Excadrill is the only breaker that has been used somewhat while having poor bulk, because it alongside Darm are the two most threatening breakers in the game, and Drill is a terrifying threat if you have speed control.

Zacian-C is incredible in the meta. It is by far the best revenge-killer, has a huge flexibility in picking moves, and is just really splashable on teams. Its bulk is spectacular as seen by a couple of games where it just takes <50 from something like Lunala. You can pretty much pick and choose your entire moveset depending on your team’s needs and what you can improof. There aren’t many mons that can outspeed it and OHKO it, with Solgaleo likely being the only effective one.

Rapid Spin is the number one hazard control, followed by Court Change. Defog just has so few PP and doesn’t have the Speed boost utility of Spin to justify using most of the time. As a result defensive Ghost sets have been popping up to spinblock and it would be interesting to see the developments.

Some sets that have been developed in ompl have been picking up traction. PH Snorlax has been a really effective glue on teams. Defensive Lunala is abusing its solid defensive typing and great bulk to check a lot of neutral breakers and spinblock as well. The Moldy Mewtwo set is likely the best Mewtwo set and is a lot easier to use compared to SF. Primordial Sea Zacian can be a breaker that provides good defensive utility, and is actually really difficult to offensive pressure out. Offensive Reshiram sets have been adapting to sets like PSea Zacian as well as just being really strong even without boosts thanks to strong STAB moves.

Metagame Predictions
I only see the blobs as the major changes to the meta, the other mons like Urshifu can be interesting but I think they will be mostly be niche.
The blobs on the other hand, oh boy. A large reason why sturdy improofing is mostly unnecessary in the current meta is because Imposter gets 2HKOed by most offensive mons anyway and if it's chipped a lot of OHKOs are possible, so it isn’t really a problem to give it free recovery from your defensive mons. Now with Chansey back teams are going to be forced to actively have strong improofing through either trapping or status or offensive improofing. This would likely limit the options defensive mons have further, which is bad because defensive mons are already in a weaker spot in the meta. Overall I never expected I would say this but I really think the blobs are unhealthy additions to this meta and I would much rather seeing them gone after they get Dynamax banned, which I know is highly unlikely. Won’t be looking forward to this meta and probably won’t be playing ladder, maybe some friendlies or something.

Last edited:

MAMP

MAMP!
MAMP's post-OMPL cool set dump

I came up with a lot of neat sets during OMPL that I felt like I couldn't share because I might have used them in the tournament. Some of these are sets that I used in a match, some of them aren't. Feels a bit weird posting this just before a DLC release that could render some of these sets obsolete, but that's what I get for procrastinating on this post lol

:bw/mewtwo:

Mewtwo @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psystrike
- Taunt
- Lava Plume / Earth Power
- Leech Seed / Snap Trap / Quiver Dance

Taunt PH Mewtwo is a cool Etern check that can be really difficult to deal with defensively once stuff is a bit worn down, especially if you have reliable hazard setters and Knock Off stuff to remove Umbreon’s Leftovers and whatnot. I like Leech Seed + Lava Plume the most because it means you can actually beat stuff like Spectral Thief Zama-C. In my experience this set really rewards you for outplaying your opponent, and for keeping Taunt hidden.

Gengar-Gmax @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Trick / Hex
- Volt Switch / Hex

When I was first theorycrafting it I thought Gengar was really cool because it’s basically just Lunala but faster and it has STAB Max Ooze and the G-Max move traps your opponent. But in reality I was the one that was trapped — this set is appallingly bad. I played like 10 games on mid-high ladder with it and Gengar had a very bad matchup every single time. It’s painfully frail and weak to Knock and Spectral, not fast enough to be a real threat to most teams, and not strong enough to actually force much out, just like Lunala. It looked so good on paper and then just consistently did fuck all. As a mon Gengar might still have potential, but I don't think this set is it.

Lunala @ Toxic Orb
Naive / Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Rapid Spin
- Hex / Spectral Thief / Moongeist Beam
- Spiky Shield / Parting Shot / Will-o-Wisp / Nuzzle / Counter

I’ve messed around with a lot of variants of PH Rapid Spin Lunala. It’s a cool Eternatus check, a spinblocker, and a very reliable spinner, with a lot of flexibility in its moveset. My favourite variant is Nuzzle + Hex, which can be very difficult for a lot of teams to manage and is great support for teammates like Excadrill that like Zama-C getting paralysed. Counter is really funny because all kinds of defensive Pokemon run moves like Knock Off and Spectral Thief that do like 60-80 to Lunala and you punish them really hard for it. It’s especially good when you’ve used Rapid Spin because people lose control of their bodies when there is the prospect of stealing a Spin boost and they click Spectral every single time. You can also live any hit from Zac-C and just kill them with Counter. It’s super gimmicky, but I actually brought Counter against dimrah in week 6 to pair with Sheer Force Mewtwo, thought I might get to lure in and take out a Snorlax or an Umbreon or something.

Eternatus @ Black Sludge
Ability: Fur Coat
Timid Nature
- Dynamax Cannon
- Trick
- Lava Plume
- Recover

Trick + Black Sludge is ancient technology, people used to run it on Mega Venu back in like 2013. It’s a cool option on Etern paired with Spikes and a special breaker like Kyurem-W or Mewtwo, but honestly it can be difficult to justify the moveslot, especially as there is a real risk of taking a Choice Item or an Assault Vest or having it blocked by Zac-C. I love taking a Toxic Orb with it because not only do you often remove the PH mon’s only recovery, but you can then threaten to give the Toxic Orb to something else later.

:bw/zekrom:

clutchbox (Zekrom) @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Dragon Darts
- Substitute
- Glare

This matches up really well against teams that are relying on some Fur Coat guy to deal with Zekrom, because you can Glare them and then cheese past them with full paras or by PP stalling Dynamax Cannon with Substitute. Substitute blocks Entrainment and Purify and stalls out Dynamax and is just generally a nice utility move to have: against teams that are a bit soft to this set, forcing a switch or getting a kill with a sub up often just wins the game. Unfortunately Gurp had Volt Absorb Primarina + PH Gourgeist, so clutchbox didn’t really get to do much in that match. This set looked really fantastic to me on paper, but it definitely underperformed in practice because it can often require a lot of prediction.

Zekrom @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Bolt Beak
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

Another weird Substitute PH Zekrom set, a bit more utility focussed this time. Zekrom is a decent spinner, but it can really effectively take advantage of the spin boost to threaten stuff late game or pass to a teammate. Passing a Substitute, a spin boost, or both to something like Life Orb DGZ is very powerful, and the cool part is that all of the moves that facilitate that are just good on their own. This Zekrom set isn’t a dedicated subpasser, it’s just a solid utility mon that can sometimes pull off a game-winning Baton Pass, and that kind of versatility is invaluable.

gamer sauce (Necrozma-Dusk-Mane) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Sunsteel Strike / Behemoth Blade
- Photon Geyser
- V-create / Close Combat / Earthquake
- Extreme Speed / Bullet Punch

(other good options: U-turn, Trick, Bolt Beak?)

CB Dusk Mane takes quite a bit of support, but overall I think it’s a very interesting way to take advantage of the downfall of Melmetal in the current metagame. Most common physical walls just can’t switch into Photon Geyser (Seismitoad can get OHKOd), and the few things that can tend to be slower and might just die to a Dynamax. The main issue with the set is that it’s a slow ISword mon that’s weak to Spectral Thief, so a lot of stuff that you would otherwise force out just outspeeds you and hits you for like 50 and then doesn’t die because they took the boost, which sucks. It basically requires extensive paralysis support, which can make it tricky to fit onto teams, but if you are running a paraspam team this is one of the better payoffs I think. This set also works on Jolly Solgaleo, which is far easier to fit onto teams and offers more overall utility, but at that point you may as well just run Zacian-C I think.

:bw/hydreigon:

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Blue Flare
- Dynamax Cannon
- Dark Pulse

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Dynamax Cannon
- Dark Pulse
- Blue Flare

Hydreigon looks interesting on paper because it outspeeds all of the Unova and Alola legends and hits them all super effectively and it can theoretically get through walls with Max Darkness SpDef drops, but in my experience it’s too weak to really do anything against most teams. It has a lot of exploitable weaknesses and doesn’t switch into much, loses super hard to every common special wall and Zacian, and just gets abused by Zama-C and Zacian-C. I don’t think this is ever really worth running, which is a shame because I really like Hydreigon. Hopefully the DLC brings a strong special Dark move to maybe make this mon relevant.

Bewear @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Shift Gear
- Close Combat
- Knock Off / Spectral Thief

Like offensive PH Snorlax, but it consistently beats Zama-C and offers zero defensive utility. This set is really tough for a lot of teams to handle if it can set up, but that can be a pretty big if. Your best bet with it is pairing with some special attacker with pivoting to lure in stuff like Umbreon and Snorlax for Bewear to force out.

Zeraora @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Swords Dance
- Soak
- Spikes

no comment

ROCK OVA JAPAN (Mewtwo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Close Combat
- Spikes / Quiver Dance

CC to 2HKO Snorlax, Zama-C, Umbreon. I like SF Mewtwo a lot because defensive counterplay to it is actually quite limited even with just Psychic + Earth Power, which makes it really easy to run stuff like CC and Spikes to take advantage of the few things that actually do switch in.

ROCK N ROLL BAND (Zamazenta) @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Low Kick / Sacred Sword
- Earthquake / Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Glare / Spore / Spikes

(other good options: Bolt Beak, Stealth Rock, Spectral Thief, Will-o-Wisp, Taunt)

SD PH Zamazenta is a pretty good late-game cleaner that is really effective at getting momentum against a lot of common special walls and being annoying to guys like Eternatus and FC Reshiram with status, Knock Off, and hazards. I ran Shift Gear a bit earlier in the gen but I think SD is way better, outspeeding Zac-C after a boost matters far less in my experience than the raw power that SD offers. Something that’s really awkward to deal with right now is that all of the Fighting-type moves we have access to have pretty substantial drawbacks: CC has too little PP and the defense drops suck, HJK is really bad when PH shield mons are so popular, Low Kick makes you play around Dynamax even against really weakened mons and doesn’t come close to 2HKOing Umbreon, and Drain Punch and Sacred Sword are just a bit weak. Low Kick and Sacred Sword I think are the best choices right now, but they’re both still quite awkward.

Primarina @ Metronome
Ability: Pixilate
Calm Nature
- Boomburst
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Quiver Dance / Scald

This is a lot like the Pixilate Magearna sets from last gen. Primarina finds opportunities to spin by forcing out Reshiram, defensive Eternatus, Umbreon, and similar. With Quiver Dance, spin boosts, and Metronome Primarina can threaten to sweep if it's left alone and it's quite difficult to handle defensively long-term. It often underperforms because it gets walled pretty easily if the Metronome gets knocked, and there’s a lot of matchups where you essentially have to sack Primarina to spin because sometimes they just don’t have anything that it actually beats.

:bw/reshiram:

reddit moment (Zekrom) @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
- Spikes / Glare

I’ve been liking Dragon Tail a lot as a utility move on defensive Zekrom and Reshiram sets lately. It’s one of those options that becomes a lot more feasible to run when Imposter is so much worse and less common, because if something like Chansey was around you would risk losing so much momentum to Imposter running a set like this. Dragon Tail punishes people for trying to set up in front of you, it’s a very safe midground in a lot of situations, and it can wear teams down very quickly, especially with hazards up. It also becomes a pretty strong Max Wyrmwind, so you don’t lose that option either. One interesting thing about it is that it has the same priority as Teleport, which leads to some odd interactions. It creates this great dynamic where people will just leave in stuff that loses to Zekrom because they’re scared of just getting Dragon Tailed if they switch, and if you predict that you can make them look really silly. Here’s an example of that from a game I played on ladder against dimrah: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1118023976

Matchup Fish (Barraskewda) @ Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Bolt Beak
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed

252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Barraskewda Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eternatus in Rain: 490-576 (101.2 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO

gaming in the 90s (Zacian) @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spirit Break
- Snap Trap
- Taunt
- Leech Seed / Will-o-Wisp

This set capitalises on a number of specific metagame trends: steels aren’t running Anchor Shot much, defensive Reshiram and Eternatus are popular, Magic Bounce is uncommon, and stuff is running Teleport instead of U-turn. When you successfully lure something with this and kill it with Snap Trap + Taunt + Leech Seed it feels great, but I think it’s too situational. It’s a gimmick that doesn’t really do anything if their initial switch in is like, Anchor Zama-C or PH Golisopod or a Regenvester or anything like that. It does make for a pretty solid late-game cleaner though, once their stuff is all weakened and you have hazards up. This set is a lot of fun and occasionally feels really powerful, but ultimately I think it’s pretty hard to justify running unless you’re counterteaming or something.

Golisopod @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Primordial Sea
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Recover
- Shift Gear
- U-turn / Earthquake

Primordial Sea Golisopod beats a lot of variants of DGZ and Zac-C, doesn’t get taken advantage of by Reshiram like the PH sets do, and can sweep late game surprisingly often. Even though a bunch of stuff still outspeeds it at +2, most of the stuff that does can’t actually threaten it and never wants to switch in anyway. Unfortunately it doesn’t cover DGZ and Zac-C by itself as you also need something to handle Bolt Beak variants of them, so it can be a bit awkward to fit onto teams sometimes. Jolly lets you outspeed neutral nature Etern and positive nature Zama-C and Marshadow, but Adamant gives you much better odds at OHKOing Zama-C after a boost and makes it more feasible to get through weakened Zekrom and Etern late-game, especially with Max Quake.

ennui (Darmanitan-Galar-Zen) @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Icicle Crash
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake / Close Combat

Basically every DGZ switchin loses hard to this except PrimSea Zacian and it’s really easy to get boosts because DGZ forces so much stuff out. This struggles a bit to beat Dynamax but it baits it out really effectively, so you can get a lot of mileage out of sending this out, SDing on a switch then switching out again on the max so that you can come back later and clean up. Needs really good hazard control.

:bw/terrakion:

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Accelerock / Baton Pass

(other options: Mach Punch, Knock Off, Trick, U-turn)

This mon is usually worse than CB Zamazenta, but it has a few cool tricks. Unlike Zamazenta, Terrakion can Dynamax to take advantage of Max Knuckle and a 150BP Max Rockfall, and it can switch into DGZ V-create (once). Head Smash just deletes shit, scoring OHKOs on stuff like Golisopod, Zekrom, Eternatus, Lunala, and FC Reshiram that Zamazenta can have a bit of trouble with. I don't think I could really recommend running this on a serious team, but it's a ton of fun to use and feels surprisingly good in some matchups.

Reflections on pre-DLC SS BH
As I'm writing this the DLC release is just a few hours away and I think it's likely to significantly shake up the tier, so I wanted to give some thoughts on the pre-DLC metagame and my relationship with it. When I first started playing SS BH it was in December, when the metagame was still largely undeveloped and very unbalanced. At that point I hadn't played BH in a few months, having taken a break from USUM BH just after the Mega Rayquaza suspect test. I had gotten really burned out on BH last gen, frustrated by the teambuilding constraints imposed by Pokemon like Shedinja, Zygarde-C, and the Mega Mewtwos, frustrated by the endless cheese on the ladder, and feeling that the tier was incapable of ever being truly balanced just due to the sheer scope of it. SS BH felt at first like a breath of fresh air, mainly because it was so different. SS BH isn't just like previous generations of BH but with different mons. The theory behind teambuilding and the dynamics that play out in games feel fundamentally different this gen. That's something that I found challenging and exciting and deeply, deeply frustrating. My experience with this metagame has been one of repeated unlearning and relearning.

This honeymoon period didn't really last however. Like with most people who have come to SS BH from previous generations, I found myself sticking on the lack of available viable Pokemon. Teambuilding in USUM and ORAS BH has this beautiful, liberating quality to it because when you have a specific role you need to fill on your team, you never have to just try and find a Pokemon that fits that role: you get to make one, often inventing something wholly new to fill a niche that you created. It rewards creativity to an incredible degree. In SS BH, there are so few viable Pokemon that this is no longer the case. Sometimes I found myself with a hole in my team, and there wasn't really a viable way to fill it without making significant structural changes. It was difficult for me to adjust to this, difficult for me to understand this as anything other than a huge step backwards. I think it's mainly because of this that I've struggled a lot with teambuilding this gen. It came naturally to me last gen, I understood how to build effective teams at an intuitive level. Throughout OMPL I didn't put a whole lot of effort or thought into teambuilding because I was offput by a feeling that I just didn't get it, that my teams never really clicked in the way I was used to. It wasn't until quite recently that I've come to enjoy teambuilding again in SS, and I think that came not from any sort of epiphany about the nature of the metagame, but just from experience and from having experimented enough to once again have a sort of intuitive grasp on how to turn a rough concept into a functional team.

The main thing I like about this metagame is that the threats mostly feel far less overbearing. USUM BH had a ton of mons where you needed to have one of a handful of dedicated answers to them or you almost always lost. If you haven't built your team properly, there's no way to outplay NormGar, or Shed, or SF MMY — you just lose. In SS BH, most of the mons have distinct, abusable weaknesses that enable you to outplay them and effectively maneuver around them even if your defensive counterplay isn't rock solid. To beat a Pokemon like Reshiram, I feel like the play isn't to just slap on a PH Primarina and just call it a day. Rather, the most effective way to build teams that are strong against Reshiram is far more holistic, aiming to pressure it by abusing its hazards weakness, poor speed, and weaknesses to Dragon and Ground, and playing to avoid letting it get into a situation where it gets free turns. This is very refreshing to me, and I think it's a really healthy dynamic that makes teambuilding far more challenging but also more rewarding. Good teams in this metagame feel like well-oiled machines, all the pieces working in harmony.

I also like that Imposter is weaker. It wasn't until playing this metagame that I really understood what Imposter Chansey does to BH, the way it restricts teambuilding (particularly in regards to the ability Regenerator and what moves can be run on defensive Pokemon) and encourages a very particular style of pivot heavy balance. There's a strong argument that despite everything, Imposter is a necessity in USUM, that its utility as a scouting tool to mitigate the natural volatility of the metagame and its role as a check to Shell Smash and Pokemon like MMY is vital to keeping the metagame in balance. This is probably true for USUM, but I think that SS has demonstrated that it doesn't have to be true for every BH. Tools like Dynamax and Ice Scales, the limited range of offensive threats, and Shell Smash being banned make me feel like Imposter probably isn't a necessity to keep the metagame healthy anymore. Imposter Wobbufett has a relatively low usage rate, it isn't bulky enough to switch into breakers reliably, and it usually runs scarf as a result: this all means that a lot of the time you can get away with not properly imposter-proofing your breakers the way you would need to in previous generations and aiming instead to just play around Imposter. Last gen Imposter was something that you had to beat in the teambuilder (and doing so was painstaking), whereas this gen Imposter is something you beat in battle.

SS BH is a bit limited. Teams often look very similar and I do wish there was more variety on that front. However, I think the metagame has a degree of depth to it that surprised me, and there's a ton of room still for creativity. A couple of months ago I felt that we were already scraping the bottom of the barrel. I have now realised that beneath the bottom of the barrel there is a second, much larger barrel. I'm excited to explore the DLC metagame, and I can't wait to see what's to come. Hopefully Chansey doesn't fuck it up too bad.

Fuck Dynamax.

I'm going to drop a team dump/game review post in the post-OMPL thread sometime in the next week or so probably. Thanks for reading.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Eternatus @ Black Sludge
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Perish Song
- Recover / Strength Sap
- Anchor Shot / Snap Trap

Eternatus is the only Dragon Imposter cannot Dynamax on, so Soundproof Clanging Scales actually keeps Eternatus Imposterproof, allowing you to trap and PP stall. This set will work great against Chansey Imposter, since bulk doesn’t save it from being trapped and stalled.

Due to its amazing Speed, durability, and SpA, it can Trap, Perish Song, and Recover. Clanging Scales is to deal some damage against U-Turn/Volt Switchers, and Black Sludge for some recovery. It’s typing also affords it the ability to absorb Toxic Spikes.

Overall, it’s a guaranteed kill against the last Pokemon they have left, and a great way to force random switches, letting you Clanging Scales on their switch in and leaving some dents.

People also forget that it can switch into Specs Boomburst Kyurem-W, block Parting Shot, and stop opposing Clanging Scales on Throat Sprayers. It also gets to punish Trick, thanks to Black Sludge damaging non-Poison types.

Anything that tried to Baton Pass out of Anchor Shot, carries on the Perish Song, keeping the pressure up.

EDIT: Strength Sap can be used to negate the Defense drop.

I use Clanging Scales sparingly due to the -1 Def, but it works well to keep the opponent from feeling completely safe, as a finisher move.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1128683190

In this replay, I KO his Baraskewda, and am able to stall out his Gyarados, who normally would would have been able to sweep. Not on Eternatus’ watch!

Last edited:
DLC is here!

While there are many interesting additions to the metagame from returning Pokemon to newly introduced moves, the most meta-defining addition should undoubtedly be Chansey. Boasting an incredible HP and access to Eviolite, it would most likely make Imposter much more viable and threatening.

However, I feel that there is still much unexplored of Chansey beyond its classic Imposter set. It has a great Special Defense stat backed up with Eviolite, and it can even be physically defensive in some sets. Here are a few sets and an overview of Chansey:

50 shades of chansey :chansey: :chansey: :chansey: :chansey: :chansey: :chansey: :chansey: :chansey:

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk, 0 Spe
  • Aromatherapy
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Wish
  • Teleport
don’t use it and waste ur valuable chansey slot smh

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Ice Scales
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
  • Soft-Boiled
  • Teleport
  • Knock Off / Spectral Thief
  • Will-O-Wisp / Spectral Thief
Ice Scales Chansey does a wonderful job in being a catch-all sponge for special attackers. Its insane bulk is self-explanatory, it comes in and basically forces out every special attacker. Mold Breakers couldn’t do much as it already has insane special bulk. Even Pokemon like Psystrike Lunala/ Mewtwo couldn’t bypass it as Ice Scales applies to all special moves.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Relaxed Nature
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Soft-Boiled
  • Spectral Thief
  • Teleport
Chansey reaches 356 Defense with Fur Coat and Eviolite. That’s really bulky paired with a titanic HP. It catches all the physical breakers attempting to heavily damage Chansey by taking minimal damage and using Will-O-Wisp. The rest of the set is self-explanatory.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Impish Nature
  • Soft-Boiled
  • Rapid Spin
  • Stealth Rock
  • Parting Shot
Magic Bounce is just a great defensive ability, and it pairs well with Chansey’s natural bulk to have solid Hazards control for your team. This set also sets hazards as Chansey usually gets a lot of free turns from tanking hits and forcing switches.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Relaxed Nature
  • Soft-Boiled / Knock Off / Spectral Thief
  • Super Fang
  • Teleport
  • Purify
Unset #1: This Chansey forces switches as usual, and uses Super Fang on whatever the opponent sends in, heavily weakening their attackers or forcing their walls to Recover, while you tank another hit and Teleport away and regenerate your health. I also thought it would be a good idea to punish Poison Heal switch-ins by using Purify after they absorbed a Knock Off. Unset but I think it could catch a lot of people off guard.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
Sassy Nature
  • Teleport
  • Soft-Boiled
  • Wonder Room
  • Haze
Unset #2: Prankster Hazer with Wonder Room to catch physical breakers off guard. Under Wonder Room it takes any physical attacks like a champ and Teleports out as they switch. Too bad it’s pretty passive outside of forcing switches :psyduck:

Overall Chansey allows a lot of creativity in its sets given its amazing bulk, but it heavily relies on Eviolite and it’s pretty passive in general, as seen in the sets above. It’s very prone to Knock Off and Taunt, also non-Fur Coat sets get smashed by physical attackers. Given these checks here’s a few partners in crime to further support Chansey:

:zekrom: :reshiram: :zamazenta: :mewtwo:
Poison Heal sets are a great partner for Chansey, being able to absorb Knock Offs, provide offensive pressure and amazing utility. I like the idea of Lava Plume Reshiram or other users with Will-O-Wisp, to help cover Chansey’s weakness in physical attackers. In return, Chansey can provide safe switch-ins to PHealers with Teleport, Wish support or even Super Fang and Teleport into strong attacks from the PHealers.

:blissey: use imp blissey lmao Imposters are great for scouting opponents’ sets to prevent any mixed attackers from surprise KOing Chansey like a V-Create Mixed Reshiram.

:eternatus: :melmetal: :reshiram: :seismitoad:
Again, Fur Coat users cover Chansey’s physical weakness while Chansey tanks special hits that these can’t handle, forming a FurScales core which are usually hard to break.

Checks to these cores:
  • :excadrill: :zekrom: Physical Mold Breakers can greatly punish Fur Coaters which are usually weak to Ground/Dragon, and has the potential to OHKO Chansey. Some Memory sets (Ground or Dragon) is even self-improof to discourage Imposters.
  • :mewtwo: :lunala: Psychic spam can be a good way to bypass Chansey’s special bulk, by Photon Geyser boosting or Psystrike. They can also OHKO Eternatus which is one of the most prominent Fur Coat user. oh maybe a surprise belly drum so photon becomes physical
  • :darmanitan-galar-zen: :mewtwo: :zamazenta: :kyurem-white: :zekrom: :reshiram: Dedicated Offensive cores to FurScales can pressure both Chansey and Eternatus/ Reshiram (just listing a few FC users there’s a list going on)
  • belly drum unburden sweep ha
For me, Chansey is a pretty solid addition to the metagame, it could cause some troubles because Imposters (or some of you say unhealthy) but I think the meta would soon evolve to adapt to it. I don’t think anything should be banned apart from Dynamaxing Imposter. Thanks for reading and feel free to add some more Chanseys below!

MAMP

MAMP!
A few new things I've used in the new DLC meta:

:bw/tangrowth:
its tangrowth (Tangrowth) @ Toxic Orb
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Baneful Bunker
- Apple Acid
- Scorching Sands

Tangrowth is a pretty solid Zekrom counter and is good at coming in on random defensive mons and pivoting about and never dying. Apple Acid + Scorching Sands can make it a bit annoying to switch into and stops opponents from just futzing around in front of it, especially with the threat of dynamaxing to kill an opponent with lowered stats.

Urshifu-Gmax @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Will-O-Wisp

(other probably good options: Sucker Punch, Shift Gear, protect variant, hazards, pivoting, Purify)

Urshifu-SS can function as a decent PH spinner that also solidly checks the increasingly popular Lunala, Mewtwo, and Dragapult. This can be pretty threatening late-game with Max Knuckle + Spin boosts. Benefits a lot if people start running fighting moves less often on Zama-C to beat Imposter more consistently. For Urshifu-SS I think Gmax is better than regular because it can't really take advantage of Max Darkness drops at all.

Zarude @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Shore Up
- Leech Seed
- Spectral Thief

I'm unsure if Zarude is any good, but there's definitely some potential. It has solid physical bulk, outspeeds all the base 9Xs, and its typing lets it take on Zekrom and psychic types decently well. The issue with it I think is how much it gets owned by random coverage moves like V-create, Blue Flare or U-turn. I don't have much faith in offensive sets, but there's a lot of cool options like Grav Apple and Taunt on this that are worth experimenting with. Fun meme: Grav Apple > Soft Sand Max Quake is a good roll to kill non-FC Reshiram and only needs a bit of chip to kill Zama-C, Zekrom, and Eternatus.

:sm/magearna:
Magearna @ Metal Coat
Ability: Tinted Lens
Modest Nature
- Doom Desire
- Moonblast
- Nasty Plot
- Roost

Like the Dialga sets of yore. Dynamax is great for these kinds of Doom Desire sets, because the constant threat of a +2 Tinted Max Steelspike really limits the opponent's ability to play around Doom Desire. I think this pairs well with PH Zekrom, who can switch in on a lot of stuff that beats this and really benefits from the extra offensive pressure that Doom Desire provides. Lots of defensive Magearna sets going around on ladder rn, so this appreciates the surprise factor. Pretty tough to Imposter-proof. Also a great Reshiram lure: +2 252+ SpA Metal Coat Tinted Lens Magearna Max Steelspike vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Reshiram: 420-494 (103.9 - 122.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:sm/eternatus:
Eternatus @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Shore Up
- Dynamax Cannon
- Scorching Sands

Defensive Eternatus often ran moves like Scald and Lava Plume to chip down checks (particularly Zama-C), and I think Scorching Sands is going to better a lot of the time. It annoyingly has less PP but less is immune to it and it's generally just better coverage.

Mewtwo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Earth Power

Expanding Force is implemented wrong on PS atm and has 32 PP and doubles in power under terrain, which is completely bananas. Even when it's coded correctly as 16 PP and 1.5x under terrain it's still an upgrade for Psychic Surge Mewtwo despite not having the utility of Photon Geyser or Psystrike. I don't know if this 20% boost is actually enough to make Specs PSurge Mewtwo worth running however.

There's heaps of new stuff still to explore! I'm particularly interested in Dragapult sets with Poltergeist atm, I'll try building with that and let you all know how it goes.

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
DLC is here!

While there are many interesting additions to the metagame from returning Pokemon to newly introduced moves, the most meta-defining addition should undoubtedly be Chansey. Boasting an incredible HP and access to Eviolite, it would most likely make Imposter much more viable and threatening.

However, I feel that there is still much unexplored of Chansey beyond its classic Imposter set. It has a great Special Defense stat backed up with Eviolite, and it can even be physically defensive in some sets. Here are a few sets and an overview of Chansey:

50 shades of chansey :chansey: :chansey: :chansey: :chansey: :chansey: :chansey: :chansey: :chansey:

Chansey @ Eviolite
Relaxed Nature
  • Aromatherapy
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Wish
  • Teleport
don’t use it and waste ur valuable chansey slot smh

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Ice Scales
Relaxed Nature
  • Soft-Boiled
  • Teleport
  • Knock Off / Spectral Thief
  • Will-O-Wisp / Spectral Thief
Ice Scales Chansey does a wonderful job in being a catch-all sponge for special attackers. Its insane bulk is self-explanatory, it comes in and basically forces out every special attacker. Mold Breakers couldn’t do much as it already has insane special bulk. Even Pokemon like Psystrike Lunala/ Mewtwo couldn’t bypass it as Ice Scales applies to all special moves.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Relaxed Nature
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Soft-Boiled
  • Spectral Thief
  • Teleport
Chansey reaches 356 Defense with Fur Coat and Eviolite. That’s really bulky paired with a titanic HP. It catches all the physical breakers attempting to heavily damage Chansey by taking minimal damage and using Will-O-Wisp. The rest of the set is self-explanatory.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
  • Soft-Boiled
  • Rapid Spin
  • Stealth Rock
  • Parting Shot
Magic Bounce is just a great defensive ability, and it pairs well with Chansey’s natural bulk to have solid Hazards control for your team. This set also sets hazards as Chansey usually gets a lot of free turns from tanking hits and forcing switches.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Relaxed Nature
  • Soft-Boiled / Knock Off / Spectral Thief
  • Super Fang
  • Teleport
  • Purify
Unset #1: This Chansey forces switches as usual, and uses Super Fang on whatever the opponent sends in, heavily weakening their attackers or forcing their walls to Recover, while you tank another hit and Teleport away and regenerate your health. I also thought it would be a good idea to punish Poison Heal switch-ins by using Purify after they absorbed a Knock Off. Unset but I think it could catch a lot of people off guard.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
Sassy Nature
  • Teleport
  • Soft-Boiled
  • Wonder Room
  • Haze
Unset #2: Prankster Hazer with Wonder Room to catch physical breakers off guard. Under Wonder Room it takes any physical attacks like a champ and Teleports out as they switch. Too bad it’s pretty passive outside of forcing switches :psyduck:

Overall Chansey allows a lot of creativity in its sets given its amazing bulk, but it heavily relies on Eviolite and it’s pretty passive in general, as seen in the sets above. It’s very prone to Knock Off and Taunt, also non-Fur Coat sets get smashed by physical attackers. Given these checks here’s a few partners in crime to further support Chansey:

:zekrom: :reshiram: :zamazenta: :mewtwo:
Poison Heal sets are a great partner for Chansey, being able to absorb Knock Offs, provide offensive pressure and amazing utility. I like the idea of Lava Plume Reshiram or other users with Will-O-Wisp, to help cover Chansey’s weakness in physical attackers. In return, Chansey can provide safe switch-ins to PHealers with Teleport, Wish support or even Super Fang and Teleport into strong attacks from the PHealers.

:blissey: use imp blissey lmao Imposters are great for scouting opponents’ sets to prevent any mixed attackers from surprise KOing Chansey like a V-Create Mixed Reshiram.

:eternatus: :melmetal: :reshiram: :seismitoad:
Again, Fur Coat users cover Chansey’s physical weakness while Chansey tanks special hits that these can’t handle, forming a FurScales core which are usually hard to break.

Checks to these cores:
  • :excadrill: :zekrom: Physical Mold Breakers can greatly punish Fur Coaters which are usually weak to Ground/Dragon, and has the potential to OHKO Chansey. Some Memory sets (Ground or Dragon) is even self-improof to discourage Imposters.
  • :mewtwo: :lunala: Psychic spam can be a good way to bypass Chansey’s special bulk, by Photon Geyser boosting or Psystrike. They can also OHKO Eternatus which is one of the most prominent Fur Coat user. oh maybe a surprise belly drum so photon becomes physical
  • :darmanitan-galar-zen: :mewtwo: :zamazenta: :kyurem-white: :zekrom: :reshiram: Dedicated Offensive cores to FurScales can pressure both Chansey and Eternatus/ Reshiram (just listing a few FC users there’s a list going on)
  • belly drum unburden sweep ha
For me, Chansey is a pretty solid addition to the metagame, it could cause some troubles because Imposters (or some of you say unhealthy) but I think the meta would soon evolve to adapt to it. I don’t think anything should be banned apart from Dynamaxing Imposter. Thanks for reading and feel free to add some more Chanseys below!
Replace Aromatherapy and Wish with the new move: Jungle Healing.

“The user becomes one with the jungle, restoring HP and healing any status conditions of itself and its ally Pokémon in battle.”

Now your Chansey can have a spare move if it cannot Imposter.

Also; you are forgetting Triage, which is a great ability since it boosts Purify, in addition to Jungle Healing, while Aromatherapy was never boosted by Triage, as a possible option over your Regenerator (un)set.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Triage
Relaxed Nature
  • Recover
  • Teleport
  • Super Fang
  • Purify
Healing yourself first makes a huge difference, as does applying Purify before a foe can Taunt (like MAMP ‘s PH Mewtwo set), or Substitute (PH Zekrom), etc.
—————
I would like to make a post about Jungle Healing as a whole.

The move is a game-changer, now you can cure yourself of W-o-W, Nuzzle, Toxic (Spikes), etc. and basically recover at no opportunity cost, and while I do not know if it is a 50% Heal, it’s certainly better than just using Refresh with no Heal.

Jungle Healing will be used by every wall, and can change the viability of whether status move will be as prevalent in the metagame post DLC, as they were pre-DLC.

——————
Next Technician got a HUGE boost in viable options:

https://serebii.net/swordshield/isleofarmormovetutor.shtml

Plus other moves naturally learned and not tutored, like Wicker Strike.

Urshifu Rapid Strike Style @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Triple Axel
- Flip Turn
- Storm Throw
- Surging Strikes

Surging Strikes with Technician, becomes on par with Fishous Rend, without the need for a Speed Boost, while also boosting its other moves. (and not Imposter).

Last edited:

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I would like to make a post about Jungle Healing as a whole.

The move is a game-changer, now you can cure yourself of W-o-W, Nuzzle, Toxic (Spikes), etc. and basically recover at no opportunity cost, and while I do not know if it is a 50% Heal, it’s certainly better than just using Refresh with no Heal.

Jungle Healing will be used by every wall, and can change the viability of whether status move will be as prevalent in the metagame post DLC, as they were pre-DLC.
Let's slow down a bit here. First off, the wording of this move heavily implies that it is to be used in doubles to heal ally Pokemon, NOT Pokemon in your party. I'm pretty sure it is confirmed to heal 25% as well, from what I've seen in the datamines. 25% healing + Refresh is certainly unlike other healing moves, but with Poison Heal being so common and much more reliable recovery moves to choose from, I do not think this move will be a game changer.
How do you manage to post six Chansey sets and not mention Metal Burst in one of them? Super Fang is kinda cool to make Chansey less passive, but Ghost-types are also kinda rising in usage lately so I'm not sure it should be a staple on sets.

a loser

is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Magnificent Seven: The Best BH Battles to Binge from OMPL VIII
OMPL VIII is finally almost over (pending a tiebreak game that might not even happen) so I wanted to gather up the best games I could find so anyone out-of-the-loop could catch up on what happened.

Tack :] vs GL Volkner
Let’s start by addressing by far the worst game of Balanced Hackmons from this season, and likely the worst I’ve ever seen. If you’ve never seen this battle, do yourself a favor and don’t watch it. A brilliant summary of the game is shown below, though.
MAMP said:
With no offense intended to either of the players, this is one of the worst tournament BH games of all time. From Tack's mono-Strength Sap Prankster Eternatus that couldn't recover vs Mandibuzz, to Volk letting the Mewtwo that won from preview take 70 for no reason and then wasting his dynamax, to the awful 95 turn double trap, this game really had it all. A recurring theme here was that Tack seemed unfamiliar with how to play PP stall situations. Keeping a Strength Sap PP with Zacian instead of Wisp/Entrainment was questionable but ultimately low stakes, but the way he kept using PP unnecessarily in the potentially winnable protracted PP stall endgame was pretty frustrating to watch. In this game, a PH Zamazenta intentionally ran fully out of PP on all of its moves so that it could use Struggle for more consistent damage against an Incineroar. In this game, both players said gg more than 200 turns before the game actually ended. In this game, 5 Pokemon were stalled completely out of their attacking moves, and 3 of them died to Struggle recoil. To top it all off, the players messed up trying to end the game on turn 420 (haha funny weed number lol), with Tack instead forfeiting at the beginning of turn 421. Btw, the game was still winnable for Tack at this stage — Volk was forced to eventually click attacks with Mewtwo to stop Tack from switching back and forth, and if Tack switched Golis into Earth Power so that Mewtwo died to Life Orb he could've stalled out the last 3 Scalds and won the match. A complete travesty of a match.
7. PinkDragonTamer vs highlighter
While the outcome of this game might look a little lopsided, this was one of the funnest games to watch this season thanks to PDT’s hot tech with Facade Snorlax, Baton Pass, and some extremely skillful play with two mons at very low health putting in work.

6. Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) vs DF-Shock
This was a pretty wacky game, with both sides having to deal with at least two layers of spikes for 65 turns and most of the major work being done by like four mons. This was pretty hax-filled, with a miss and seven full paras, four of which were consecutive and resulted in a KO. Things are really looking up for DF-Shock until he makes a series of questionable plays, resulting in a surprise comeback for SL42.

5. Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) vs MAMP
This game was really interesting because as early as turn 5, we see that MAMP’s Kyu-W can completely tear through SL42’s team if played carefully. Unfortunately for MAMP, it wasn’t played carefully and took chip all five times it entered the field, either from hazards or attacks.

4. sugarhigh vs PinkDragonTamer
This is a classic BH tour game of offense vs offense. Clocking in at only 18 turns, this game was clean, fast-paced, and fun to watch while it lasted.

3. GL Volkner vs highlighter
This game was really fun to watch, as Volk starts out with a ton of momentum thanks to his Zekrom, but then has the momentum flip-flopped for the rest of the match when HL’s Zekrom tanks an Adaptability LO Draco Meteor thanks to Dynamax bulk and a Haban berry. After that Volk does his best to dig out of the hole, and almost gets there. A great match between two great players, definitely didn’t disappoint.

2. Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) vs dimrah
I was really looking forward to this matchup, pairing one of the best BH players of all time against the up-and-coming ladder hero, and it didn’t disappoint either. Both teams were neat and both sides played very well, and the game was pretty clean with key misses on both sides to even it out.

1. MAMP vs dimrah
This was hands down the most entertaining battle to watch. I feel like this game shows just how important each turn is, and one small difference can help change the outcome of the game. I wish we could have seen more dimrah this season, cause he’s just really fun to watch.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Marshadow @ Sitrus Berry / Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum / Swords Dance
- Poltergeist
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch / Flying Press

Break the opponent without resorting to the 1x use Unburden. Imposterproof since you use up your item, and thus Poltergeist cannot hurt you, but you can KO Imposter.

Mach Punch can be used to 1HKO Prankster Hazers (Snorlax, Umbreon, etc.), while Flying Press offers coverage for Pokemon like Urshifu, and Zarude (4x effectiveness) to KO before setting up, and threatens Pokemon like Zamazenta-base form.

+6 252+ Atk Marshadow Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Umbreon: 378-446 (95.9 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Marshadow Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Snorlax: 524-620 (100 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Marshadow Flying Press vs. +1 252 HP / 252 Def Zamazenta: 500-590 (128.8 - 152%) -- guaranteed OHKO

EDIT:

The Dynamax factor -

If you get Hazed by something else, like Eternatus, you can Dynamax to add pressure via Max-Phantasm, to lower their Def and break them, so they cannot just Spam Recover / Haze in a row.

Max Knuckle can also re-boost your attack, which helps if you can no longer Belly Drum.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
"uhhh maybe we can open up samples in a week maybe when the meta has formulated" -bad unplayers
https://pokepast.es/4d18fe9fe4e78e76
:urshifu::chansey::magearna::eternatus::zekrom::slowbro:

this team plays similarly to balance teams in standard tiers so it serves as a decent introduction to those who are new to bh. the basic gameplan of the team changes depending on which matchup you're playing. urshifu, etern, and zekrom serve as the non-passive mons that do most of the breaking work while gear + slowbro is the defensive core and imposter helps out vs ladder stuff.

i have included some replays so you can see how the team is typically played.
vs offense:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1137668505
vs balance:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1137576288
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1137674188
vs stall:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1136566124
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1137615638

while this team has served me well and been quite consistent on ladder, it relies on somewhat delicate positioning and i could see it becoming unviable pretty quickly once people figure out how to use stuff like zac-c. that said, i think having samples in place in a new metagame is important, so that's why i submitted it so early.

Last edited:
it doesn't have to be cinerace any fast physical attacker will do and the moves are interchangeable as long as they have recoil. I chose these move specifically because they have 100% accuracy

Cinderace
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 1 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Volt Tackle

a loser

Cinderace
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 1 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Volt Tackle
Welcome to Smogon and thanks for posting in the thread! For any future posts, please try to avoid simply posting sets without describing their purpose or providing replays of them in action, if you have them.

Using Rock Head attackers is a pretty common trend I've seen from people new to Balanced Hackmons, and most quickly learn that Magic Guard is an all-around better ability since it avoids recoil damage along with indirect damage like entry hazards. You mention Cinderace is not required on the set, which is good because it is outclassed by the faster and stronger Darmanitan-Galar-Zen. A good example of a Magic Guard attacker is shown below.

Darmanitan-Galar-Zen @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- V-create / Flare Blitz
- Icicle Crash
- Bolt Beak / Wood Hammer
- High Jump Kick
. . . . . . . .
Even though this DLC meta is very new still, feel free to submit your own sample teams for review now. Please use the guidelines found in this post when submitting your teams. Since the meta is still adapting, I strongly encourage you to thoroughly play-test your team on the ladder before submitting to be reviewed. After we've gotten a handful of submissions, the council will review and try to get some new samples up sooner than later.So while I'm here, I'm gonna submit a team for samples as well.

Team Name: The Heist :eternatus::mewtwo::lunala::zamazenta-crowned::darmanitan-zen::zekrom:
Short Description: Balanced Offense built around strong Physical and Special attackers
How to use the team: Spread burns by spamming Lava Plume and Scorching Sands to keep physical attackers at bay and keep Poison Heal users honest with Venoshock Eternatus and Worry Seed Darm-Z. Mewtwo acts as a great stall breaker and late-game cleaner with powerful Life Orb boosted attacks that ignore Ice Scales and great longevity with Strength Sap. Lunala is a neat spinner/spinblocker with Baneful Bunker and Hex to punish contact moves and threaten Ghost-types. Zama-C can come in on most special attackers thanks to its Assault Vest and steal boosts from any setup attempts. Darm-Z is a great check to most Zacian-C and DGZ sets but must be kept healthy and watch out for lures like Fishious Rend to perform best. Prankster Zekrom is a neat disrupter that can do big damage with priority Bolt Beak and stall out Dynamax turns with Substitute in a pinch.
Match-ups: Unburden Belly Drum is not a great matchup, depending on the drummer, as this team doesn't have Prankster Haze. It is not always easy to anticipate a drummer, but they can be played around with a well-timed burn or Spectral Thief. Tweaking Zekrom's role to a support mon with moves like Haze, Glare, and Recovery in the last three slots makes the Drum matchup much better while keeping team synergy intact. This team fairs well against Imposter, as each mon can be taken advantage of by a teammate in one way or another.
Effectiveness: This team has given me success on the ladder and in some room tours. It is pretty straightforward to use and holds its own in both short and long battles.

Against Stall:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1133181285-ez07mhb5rmqumx
5o9cbi1xxc88egt3epw

Against Balance:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1133700512-422gvoqgsocd7do6xtl1vqlbdt995o4pw
Against Offense:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1133304681-plxu30k90nt7rn8c03p3krsc3z55ktnpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1140154158

Last edited:
Intrepid sword must go. There are reasons why other attack-boosting abilities have huge drawbacks.
Gorilla tactics locks you into into your first move, which can easily be played around due to this meta having a ton of walls.
Hustle makes you miss 100% 20% of your attacks, which is bad because of recover spam.
Intrepid sword can sometimes force the opponent to run an unaware or fur coat physically defensive wall like Toxapex or Golisopod. Intrepid sword is is just baby huge power, which is way too oppressive.
Although, this could just make the metagame way too stally, but that worked fine in USUM.

Intrepid sword must go. There are reasons why other attack-boosting abilities have huge drawbacks.
Gorilla tactics locks you into into your first move, which can easily be played around due to this meta having a ton of walls.
Hustle makes you miss 100% 20% of your attacks, which is bad because of recover spam.
Intrepid sword can sometimes force the opponent to run an unaware or fur coat physically defensive wall like Toxapex or Golisopod. Intrepid sword is is just baby huge power, which is way too oppressive.
Although, this could just make the metagame way too stally, but that worked fine in USUM.
There are other downsides to Intrepid Sword that make it less than "Baby Huge Power".

As you alluded to, it's negated by Unaware as well as Haze, unlike other power-boosting abilities. More importantly, it can also be turned against you with Spectral Thief and Imposter (the imposter will copy your boost and then Intrepid Sword activates and gives them another boost). Also, because it's a stat boost and not a separate multiplier, it doesn't give as big of a boost when paired with stat boosting moves:

+3 252 Atk Silvally Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Silvally: 322-379 (81.7 - 96.1%)
+2 252 Atk Hustle Silvally Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Silvally: 387-456 (98.2 - 115.7%)

Submitting my sample team, The Doggies https://pokepast.es/331213d093bfa2cd

Has gottne me to a ladder peak of 1708, ranked #5 only below all of Dimra's accounts

Overview: This team is fairly simple. You want to get both toxic orbs successfully activated which can be a little hard since there is no actual pivoting, but you can often force your opponent to allow them to activate by threatening to set up, or getting hazards up so they are compelled to bring in their hazard control. Jellisent is a general disrupter, annoying choiced attackers with king's shield, getting spikes up, threatening defoggers with scald burns and whirlwinding the other team into more hazards. Zamazenta can sometimes completely 6-0 defensive teams, as its coverage of fighting and dark handles a huge portion of the meta, and taunt prevents mons from recovering on it so it just chips them down. Kyurem-B is a great tool against offensive, as it's able to threaten KOs on any non-FC mon after it gets set up. Zamazenta-c improofs it and works as a switchin to ground attacks which are becoming more and more ubiquidous, such as Earthquake and Scorching Sands, while also helping to control hazards. Zekrom and Incineroar round out the defensive core and Zekrom is actually an able rocker since so many choice-locked mons just have to switch out when it blocks them while Incineroar can hold off hazard-happy teams with Court Change. They're a little weak to mixed attackers such as adapt Zekrom with Draco and Boltbeak so you just want to play around that. This team, because it doesn't have a prankster, is a bit weak to belly drum and setup spam, though the defensive mons all have spectral thief or another way to control setup if you predict accurately, so the game isn't totally lost from tp.

Replays (I don't save enough of these, will probably edit as I get more good ones)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1136121497
Zamazenta stallbreaking

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1138137691-vfea9zf8gfyeurg07u887mxoea63alipw
vs offense

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Welcome to Smogon and thanks for posting in the thread! For any future posts, please try to avoid simply posting sets without describing their purpose or providing replays of them in action, if you have them.

Using Rock Head attackers is a pretty common trend I've seen from people new to Balanced Hackmons, and most quickly learn that Magic Guard is an all-around better ability since it avoids recoil damage along with indirect damage like entry hazards. You mention Cinderace is not required on the set, which is good because it is outclassed by the faster and stronger Darmanitan-Galar-Zen. A good example of a Magic Guard attacker is shown below.

Darmanitan-Galar-Zen @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- V-create / Flare Blitz
- Icicle Crash
- Bolt Beak / Wood Hammer
- High Jump Kick
. . . . . . . .
Even though this DLC meta is very new still, feel free to submit your own sample teams for review now. Please use the guidelines found in this post when submitting your teams. Since the meta is still adapting, I strongly encourage you to thoroughly play-test your team on the ladder before submitting to be reviewed. After we've gotten a handful of submissions, the council will review and try to get some new samples up sooner than later.So while I'm here, I'm gonna submit a team for samples as well.

Team Name: The Heist :eternatus::mewtwo::lunala::zamazenta-crowned::darmanitan-zen::zekrom:
Short Description: Balanced Offense built around strong Physical and Special attackers
How to use the team: Spread burns by spamming Lava Plume and Scorching Sands to keep physical attackers at bay and keep Poison Heal users honest with Venoshock Eternatus and Worry Seed Darm-Z. Mewtwo acts as a great stall breaker and late-game cleaner with powerful Life Orb boosted attacks that ignore Ice Scales and great longevity with Strength Sap. Lunala is a neat spinner/spinblocker with Baneful Bunker and Hex to punish contact moves and threaten Ghost-types. Zama-C can come in on most special attackers thanks to its Assault Vest and steal boosts from any setup attempts. Darm-Z is a great check to most Zacian-C and DGZ sets but must be kept healthy and watch out for lures like Fishious Rend to perform best. Prankster Zekrom is a neat disrupter that can do big damage with priority Bolt Beak and stall out Dynamax turns with Substitute in a pinch.
Match-ups: Unburden Belly Drum is not a great matchup, depending on the drummer, as this team doesn't have Prankster Haze. It is not always easy to anticipate a drummer, but they can be played around with a well-timed burn or Spectral Thief. Tweaking Zekrom's role to a support mon with moves like Haze, Glare, and Recovery in the last three slots makes the Drum matchup much better while keeping team synergy intact. This team fairs well against Imposter, as each mon can be taken advantage of by a teammate in one way or another.
Effectiveness: This team has given me success on the ladder and in some room tours. It is pretty straightforward to use and holds its own in both short and long battles.

Against Stall:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1133181285-ez07mhb5rmqumx
5o9cbi1xxc88egt3epw

Against Balance:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1133700512-422gvoqgsocd7do6xtl1vqlbdt995o4pw
Against Offense:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1133304681-plxu30k90nt7rn8c03p3krsc3z55ktnpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1140154158
I love Darm-Z, and your use of Copycat Bolt Beak, like I had mentioned in the early meta!

I think if you switch in the last 3 moves for Glare, Haze, and Recover, you would need to switch to Bolt Strike, since you are likely not going first (no Copycat).

You also need to consider if Draco Meteor serves you, wouldn’t you be better off with Multi Attack and Dragon Memory? Nearly the same base power, off of a more powerful Attack stat. Sure there is Fur Coat Eternatus, but then again, there is also Ice Scales Eternatus.

Would Speed Boost be a better option? You could then replace Copycat, and always go first (plus Copycat gets disrupted by Protect, etc.), using Recover in its place, and replace Leftovers with Dragon Memory, and Draco with Multi Attack.

Rio (Zekrom) @ Dragon Memory
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Substitute / Spectral Thief / Topsy Turvey / Haze
- Recover
- Multi-Attack

Now going first isn’t conditional beyond turn 1.

Usually priority attacks are often based off of setting up first (like Triage), to outspeed Prankster Haze / Destiny Bond, but here you don’t need Copy Cat.

Multi-Attack hurts Imposter, while not being as big of a threat Vs you. Recover negates the need for Leftovers, and provides the ability to really use an Adamant nature, no longer needing to consider Jolly at all, and replacing Lonely to max your defense.

Zekrom isn’t afraid of its Imposter, Recover means it has nothing to fear.

252+ Atk Zekrom Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Imposter: 222-264 (31.5 - 37.5%) -- 86.3% chance to 3HKO

Remember, if Imposter is slow pivoted in, or switches in (under the assumption you will use Bolt Beak) it won’t get the Speed boost. This lets you outspeed it, while Scarf Imposter isn’t a threat since it cannot use both Recover and an Attack.

While Substitute let’s you stall out Speed Boost / Dynamax turns, you could also consider swapping in Spectral Thief to supplement for Prankster Haze, since you can effectively outspeed the foe and use their own boosts to your advantage. Spectral Thief could go over Substitute, however if you are afraid a wall will just Spectral Thief them back, you could also try Topsy Turvey or Haze, since removing your own Speed won’t matter when it boosts again at the end of the turn.

Now you have a stat boost remover, a secure way of outspeeding the foe, dual STAB, and reliable Recovery.

People always sleep on Speed Boost, but it truly is a game changer when paired with the right moves.

Afterall, a fast Topsy Turvey is a check to Intrepid Sword users.

Last edited:
willdbeast's BH Seasonal Adventure
aka Proving the Haters Wrong by Outperforming all OMPL BH Starters
aka OMPL Rejectee Loses to Tier Shift Player (Twice)
aka I Lost But I Still Want the Likes
aka How to Be a Good BH Player (but not as good as Jeran)
aka Random Haxes some Good Players, Again
aka How to Build Polished BH Teams for a Competitive Environment
aka A Subtle Cry for Help
aka SSNL Team and Replay Dump

Since I've not been posting replays for most of the tour I though I would dump them all here. I didn't ask my ops but the tour ended and the meta we were playing doesn't exist any more so I hope no-one minds. I've tried to format it so if all you want to see is the teams or replays it's easy to get.

Round 1 vs Dragonillis
Game 1 - Team
Game 2 - Team - by xavgb
Game 3 - Team
g1 Team - I thought triage zama might be cool cos it can deal quite nicely with a lot of the physical attackers in the meta, killing darmgz with priority and really shutting down most other stuff with strength sap (especially bolt beak mons). In retrospect I think photon is better coverage but I'd lost to gourgeist earlier that week and I think it got to me. Shift Gear lax is another thing that I thought was a really nice wincon because with KS it sets up on almost everything and a lot of teams are lacking good PH answers with Core Enforced being dead. However Zama seems to have risen in popularity which really hurts this set, especially with no eq. The rest is just kinda random stuff. The etern set seems pretty bad tbh, i tried to copy a good pdon set i had (twaves, toxic, recover, entrain) but it turns out having a strong stab move and insane attack was actually beneficial to the set, who knew.
g1 Game - I don't think I played this very well, I kinda let him get up rocks for free and lost resh for no good reason.
The realisation
willdbeast: oh i have 5 ground weak mons
is something you will probably notice more and more throughout this....
But then lax just won so none of it mattered anyway lol

g2 Team - I stole it
g2 Game - idk i didnt really do anything zama just kinda won

Round 2 vs SaDiSTiCNarwhal
I can only find one replay for this - Team
g? Team - Triage zama makes a comeback
g? Game - This time zama actually does a lot of work, basically none of his team really scares it that much except lunala. Kinda a weird battle but idk what to say about it.

Round 4 vs Quantum Tesseract
Game 1 - Team - by xavgb again but I changed shell smash for something else cos it got banned
Game 2 - Team - by MAMP
Game 3 - Team - by MAMP again, with a small change cos the mewtwo had shell smash (instead of sap i think)
g1 Team - stolen
g1 Game - this game starts off with a couple of non-turns where little happens, followed by qt making the interesting decision to stay in on my ferro with Resh. At the time I kinda thought this was a weird move but then it turns out he had an awful lot of pp so I'm guessing the thought process was "This ferro is really solid against my team so I will hope it's not rapid spin and stall it out even if it costs resh most of its usefulness". 100 turns later ferro dies and he has a resh at +5. Here I send out etern and he goes for some reasonable damage with lava plume, which does make it a lot easier for darm to win later and if I don't have spectral then it doesn't really cost anything. But as it turns out I do have spectral and it was a really bad idea to stay in cos now I get to take down one of his mons with something that should never be a threat. After NDM dies gen 8 things happen which I can't really claim any playing on either side went into, just neither of us knew the mechanic and it happened to screw him up and that's basically gg. Zama was still a big threat even if it played out differently, but with lunala alive (which had dbond i think) it could have definitely ended up differently. The 20 turns when stuff happened were quite interesting but ruined by the 100 of pp stall.

g2 Team - stolen
g2 Game - This game starts out very poorly from my end when I let him get up spikes in order to set up lax, which was pretty dumb because literally no doublade should be dying to lax. I then sludge wave a steel type hoping his lax comes in, which it doesn't. Thinking back, if I killed the doublade then lax had some potential to get things done so it was quite risky from him. After that I basically just sack one mon after another but I think it was the letting spikes up that cost me.

g3 Team - stolen
g3 Game - This game I think he let mewtwo do way more than it should have done. Him trading off hp zama-c vs zama-c really let mewtwo do some damage and his lunala could have checked it a bit more. Then he accidentally dynamaxes which costs him the endgame. I think there was room for both of us to play that differently but it just most ended up as trading mons off.

Round 6 vs Alternatif
Game 1 - Team - by MAMP
Game 2 - Team
Game 3 - Team - by MAMP
g1 Team - stolen
g1 Game - this game was weird. I feel like I could have made a lot more progress with zekrom but i kinda fudged it by not getting it in on a fisheous rend and letting etern heal up too much. The biggest mistake was letting darm set up cos then it just killed everything.

g2 Team - the first sighting of Pikachu! People had been shitting on pika for ages but i got to thinking... no-one really improofs that hard (at least before the dlc) and with dyna you don't even have to wholely rely on speed ties to survive. Plus, as I think Champion Leon said somewhere, if you can pass a sub it removes basically all drawbacks. Added a toxic orb wobb just to help with the stuff that beats pika. The etern set is absolutely useless... I was just going through a phase of putting choice trick on everything. The NDM is pretty cool because water/photon hits most threats especially with the rain boost and it's pretty unexpected so you can often get free turns to set up while they're messing around trying to defog or something, while still being a useful wall. The imposter proofing is kinda non-existent and yes i forgot the EVs.
g2 Game - the battle started reasonably well for me, managing to cripple both his golis and kyuw with a couple of nice tricks then immediately killing the kyuw. A few turns after etern gets forced out I get in pika for free and risk the speed tie on his zekrom, which I win, however he's get a heat set so I lose pika and I'm so impressed I call the gg, before reconsidering and apologising. I then try the same thing again but with wobb this time and manage to get a couple of kills as well as a nice para on his zama-c. I have to say though I'm pretty confused as to why he didn't go to ferro instead (which is what I predicted and tried to call out with a nuzzle on the switch). After that there wasn't much left on his team to force out Resh so I messed around a bit with king shield then finally passed a sub to zama which managed to finish the game. Again, sorry for the fake out gg I really need to think more lol

g3 Team - stolen
g3 Game - for the final game I was facing rain, and I was fairly confident because it looked like he hadn't changed much from the team I knew, so with fur coat etern I would have a good answer to most of his stuff. I lead barra hoping to capitalise on his own rain and start the pressure early so he didn't have room to move, but the dry skin rune cancelled that out perfectly. Knowing his team (mostly) let me make a play I probably couldn't otherwise and send in zama-c on kyub to teleport then get rocks which was really helpful in keeping kyub out. I then get sf mewtwo in off a pivot and with dynamax made a pretty big hole in his team, killing the drizzle mon. After that it was mostly waiting out the rain and his dynamax because after that my team would be mostly quicker and etern could do a lot of damage.

Round 8 vs PinkDragonTamer
Game 1 - Team
Game 2 - Team
Game 3 - Team
g1 Team - this is uh..,. a team. Honestly I have no idea what the plan was. I started off by thinking that PH grounds with shift gear could be really good, especially defensive looking ones, because they perform a reasonable job defensively at least checking zekrom usually but can be extremely threatening thanks to how ground weak the meta is. Resh I thought was a nice rock setter so I have that and an improof. The zekrom set idk i just felt like taunt that week and i needed a setup check of any sort... the gyarados idfk it's just the first improof I thought of for the hippo.
g1 Game - the game starts with me trying to work out why I have this team, but I manged to get rocks up and some good damage on lax before reshiram was forced out. Turn 4 was interesting with us both switching out fearing something and somehow me ending up with the right mon. Turn 5 he switches zacc into a likely scald which I don't really get but I suppose he didn't feel like he had a good switchin at all without knowing the set, but lax was certainly an option. When he does bring lax in I use this opportunity to bring out the wincon hippo and get some good damage on golis then go to primarina again while he heals which I think was a mistake but it ended up okay because he was sap but it did reveal that my prim doesnt beat zekrom after all. I then go back to hippo hoping his only recovery was sap and thinking he would switch out but he has roost too. He then goes to Steelix to spin, probably thinking he can recover off any eq but thanks to shift gear on the switch I can really pressure it out. I then taunt because I thought it covered both him staying in and him going golis decently and I didn't wanna try predicting too much and risk giving up the threatening position hippo was in, then suspecting that the golis couldn't do much when taunted I eqed to catch out steelix. After some more messing around with golis I end up trading hippo for chip on ndw to get it into range for both zacc and gyara and get a lucky predict with zacc. After that it's just gyara stopping a zekrom sweep and then zacc winning thanks to the chip from the earlier scald on his zacc getting it in range. Interesting game for sure.

g2 Team - pika again, fun fact: by this point I'd shown the team to 2 people and neither reminded me about evs :[
g2 Game - I think turn 1 here is the key turn, crippling golis which was looking like the only potential ndm counter. No idea why I switched pika into zaccian. Letting pika get para'ed staying in on zama-c was quite a risky play, but I thought it was regenvest and the sets I'd seen him use usually couldn't kill me and there wasn't really anything he could switch into double power boomburst, so he has to sack golis and after that ndm just wins, despite me trying my best to choke the game away. Oh I also forgot that low kick doesn't work on dmaxed things.

Round 10 vs Akashi
Game 1 - Team
Game 2 - Team
Game 3 - Team
g1 Team - the main idea of this team was to use spore + bp zacc to get zekrom in with +1, then use a funky mixed qd set to blow away most of the checks with draco for fc mons and acid apple to a) help draco net kills and b) kill grounds without lowing my stats. Normpult was meant as another abuser of the +1, since with the boost most magic bounce mons can't really switch into fish, but I never really got a chance to use it that game since he had zacc to keep it in check. PrimSea ferro, fc resh and PH lax provides a fairly resiliant defensive core with some power and wish lax helps to make sure zacc and zekrom can trade HP for position then recover later on.
g1 Game - everything went according to plan to start with, I spored what seemed like a decent mon, got +1 to zekrom (tho at the cost of a lot of HP) and successfully lured hippo. Another baton pass later and even reshiram showed itself to be a potent threat, tanking +2 zama and koing with dyna cannon into +1 v-create. He sent in Mewtwo which snorlax seemed to decently check and I managed to get zacc back to health. The next few turns I'm not sure if I played right, I knew the zama-c was scarf and expected trick and decided snorlax was the best option to take it, but maybe
pult would have been better, since lax being scarf turned out be to quite annoying. At this point I'm sure zekrom can win if I wear down imposter, but the spikes on my side are an issue and I need to stop him healing up but it works out in the end.

g2 Team - I'm not really sure what the plan was with this team, everything just kinda went off the rails a bit
g2 Game - idk what to say for this, mostly I was let down by the fact that I forgot to put recovery on silvally and my spinblocker had wish not recover... I think if those were changed I'd have had a lot more options, tho I played it pretty poorly towards the end anyway. Just a bad team ngl and the zacian basically beat everything sooner or later.

g3 Team - pika again, it has evs now and the etern set is a bit less bad but still bad
g3 Game - idk what i was thinking i just saw stall and lost the will to live then resigned. then the next day i realised "hang on i had toxic orb imposter, that was a decent chance to win" E#

Round 11 vs PinkDragonTamer again
Game 1 - Team
Game 2 - Team
Game 3 - Team - by Ivar57 RMT Here with a couple of tweaks to coverage
g1 Team - pika v3, this is the final form! not only do the mons all have evs and moves and stuff. this time a more defensive etern set fills out the defensive core and wincon toad replaces ndm - carrying on the great legacy Hippo started. This time it has toxic though because it's a bit more defensive a team and I thought it would be nice for wearing down things neither pika nor wobb want to face. Luckily he didnt have a PH golis otherwise it would have done 0.
g1 Game - this game it was apparent from quite early that the wincon toad had a good matchup, so to start with my plan was to get it in safely and win. This started well with toad killing the prank hippo with toxic, but I got forced out by resh (rightly) fearing the dynamax. Paralysing the darm-gz was extremely good for me because it meant etern was a much better counter, being able to heal up from low in front of it and not risking any flinches, and it also meant that he basically couldn't kill a mon with it without pika being a huge threat (I'm assuming he had cc or something that could at least threaten solga). In the midgame it turns out Reshiram is quite a big threat, with spike stacking being really strong against my team (a repeated weakness), and with wobb and toad being chipped it can be quite dangerous. However I used the opportunity to get wobb in to set my own spikes, so that I could then use solg as a chance to get a sub up on resh and pass to toad to win, which he stops with zekrom but this suddenly enables pika to straight up win... or it would if I'd remembered to click the dynamax button and calced properly. Thankfully some luck bailed me out anyway and it was just left to toad to clean up.

g2 Team - I'd wanted to use webs for quite some time, and after looking at the magic bouncers and hazard removers pdt had used a lot the majority of them couldn't deal with drill, especially with spectral as coverage for Lunala. I also thought that drill might force some switches before he knew the set and I could use that to get webs up without sacrificing it. The rest of the team is mostly just improofs and breakers.
g2 Game - Turn 1 got the game off to a very bad start. I thought he wouldn't risk losing a mon for free on the possibility I was scarf so I was thinking I could get webs for free on the switch but instead I got drill down to sash and forced out, then resh got shut down by umbreon and the game was basically over at that point.

g3 Team - stolen - i thought some of the coverage was a bit wack or outdated so i tweaked it a little
g3 Game - I lead barra because I didn't want to start passively and let in zekrom for free or w/e but he leads lax, which I'm pretty sure has a protecty move and I really really don't wanna get forced out by lax t1 cos it turns out none of my mons really beat it reliably so I decide to dyna right out the gate, to get another attack boost and force it out then hopefully kill something else. I use watery move next just to be safe and to set rain, which was a good idea since he goes lunala. However it's fc and only takes 34% even at +2. Fortunately for me the next move crits which finishes it off. I think even without the crit I kill the lunala since he takes ~50 in rain and once dyna runs out I can use rend which would do about 65 so if he recovers it dies a bit later. However without the crit he can spectral and do a good amount of chip while making it a lot less threatening or if he has wisp or w/e he can cripple barra for good which would have been very bad for me later on and probably cost the game. A few turns later I crit past another mon which is mega dumb. I think if either of those crits doesnt happen then I almost certainly lose to lax in the end game. Mostly this battle goes to show how crippling protect moves can be against weather/terrain teams and how stupid mons is.

Finals vs Akashi again
Game 1 - Team
Game 2 - Team
Game 3 - Team
g1 Team - pika again
g1 Game - I'm pretty sure this whole game just went to a pika speed tie. His play t6 was good but in retrospect I feel like it was something I should have at least considered and made safer plays for, I really didn't need to sub on that turn in particular even if he stays in. t17 I could have gone to pika and clicked boomburst cos he was in range and that's literally the one specific scenario I put boomburst for but I forgot about it lol. Later on zekrom being alive plays to my favour but I think with it gone I'd probably have been better off overall. I think t49 was a misplay from me, sending in wobb and letting him get zekrom in safely, probably sending in zama would be better idk, but then im risking a para (but still better than a speed tie). Quite an interesting game.

g2 Team - Don't ask why I brought this team after seeing how awful it was before.
g2 Game - I think I straight up choked t1, his pod doesnt really wall anything I have but my zama should be really annoying for him to deal with... terrible decision by me to basically trade them. and I could have just spored it first :? oh well. t2 I then choke again and let it get spikes :? I think that pretty much decided the game. Also I'm pretty salty the two times I've ever used that resh set he's had prim sea zacian :[

g3 Team - why did i bring this g3 of finals :/
g3 Game - Another battle I waste my PH mon t1. At least it got a kill and rocks up. I think wasting resh was a huge mistake on my end, both t1 and letting it die to zacc. Not sure what I'd have done with it but since the end game was fairly close as it was I'm sure it could have helped, plus it was like my only mon that beats fc toad. Pretty messy and fun game but I threw it way too early which was a lame way to end the tour.

I've not played anything post-dlc so you'll have to judge for yourself if any of this is remotely relevant.

Good

Hippowdon @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Shift Gear
- Earthquake
- Bolt Beak
- Taunt
We've seen this bad boy before. It's good.

Reshiram @ Toxic Orb
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Glare
- Dynamax Cannon
- V-create
Good. Nice rock setter (or equally spikes). Glare can be really nice against offensive mons if you tank a hit or against some mons like primsea Zama-C which becomes a lot easier to deal with afterwards thanks to the potential free turns and suddenly outspeeding with stuff like zekrom. Could be nuzzle depends if you want to para bouncers or like toad and what improofing you're doing. Pretty standard set not much to say.

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Hasty Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Nuzzle
- U-turn
- Boomburst
I think pika was really underrated, but probably sucks now people actually have to improof.

Zekrom @ Toxic Orb
Naive Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bolt Beak
- Draco Meteor
- Apple Acid
Mixed zekrom is cool.

Maybe Has Potential?

Zamazenta-Crowned @ Life Orb
Ability: Triage
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Strength Sap
Seems not completely worthless, maybe on the right team it could be good, with a different choice of coverage.

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Leftovers
Ability: Primordial Sea
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Shift Gear
- Fishious Rend
- Photon Geyser
- Strength Sap
Definitely not expected but hits decently hard while being a useful wall. It's always nice to have another wincon in the back.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Spectral Thief
- Bolt Beak
- Sticky Web
Maybe I'm delusional but I don't think this mon was the reason the team sucked, I think the idea behind it is workable at least.

Bad

Primarina @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Spectral Thief
- Recover
- Entrainment
Terrible, literally only deals with resh and golis, loses to every other mon in the meta.

Gyarados @ Choice Band
Ability: Volt Absorb
Adamant Nature
- Fishious Rend
- U-turn
- Trick
- Earthquake
This is a bad set. Also MAMP said it should be Motor Drive and he was right but I forgot to change it.

Silvally-Grass @ Grass Memory
Impish Nature
- Teleport
- King's Shield
- Spectral Thief
- Will-O-Wisp
Self explanatory

Reshiram @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- V-create
- No Retreat
- Volt Switch
This seemed cool on paper but really it was just a liability.

Thanks to MAMP and xavgb for letting me post the teams of theirs I used with the replays (and for passing the teams) and thanks to loser, rex, pdt, mamp and probably some other people for their help with "building" (term used loosely). It's not their fault the teams were bad. Also thanks to tcot for the moral support.

Also ggs to everyone I played it was a lot of fun even when I messed up.

Hope this was useful/interesting/a good opportunity to make fun of me for at least someone reading it.

Last edited:

a loser

Team Name: Punisher :eternatus::darmanitan-galar-zen::zamazenta-crowned::darmanitan-zen::snorlax:
1594827530865.png

Short Description: Balance / Semi-Stall team with a Coat/Scales core and stallbreaker DGZ
How to use the team: Keep pressure on the opposing team by setting Spikes with Eternatus, spreading burns with Scorching Sands, Will-O-Wisp, and Lava Plume. Rapid Spin on PH Urshifu is great for keeping hazards off your side of the field as it forces out Ghost-types looking to spinblock, which means DGZ can come in without taking chip from Stealth Rock and the like. Double Fur Coat with Eternatus and Darmanitan-Zen handles most of the common physical attackers while Snorlax covers them against threats like Kyurem-W, Mewtwo, and Lunala. DGZ ignores Fur Coat and Flash Fire walls while firing off high powered STABs and strong coverage moves. Ice Multi-Attack lets Eternatus handle Imposter and gives it a strong, spammable STAB to 2HKO Eternatus. Zamazenta-C rounds out the team to keep setup threats like Belly Drum in check and is a backup hazard control with Court Change. I opted for Rusted Shield on it to have something Trick immune, but other items like Safety Goggle or Leftovers could be used instead.
Effectiveness: This team is pretty effective on the ladder, holding its own against both lower ladder strategies and higher ladder balance and stall teams.

Against Stall:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1135474551-twh9pdf44nlemo2feg5r3r3nedxi43jpw
Against Random Balance:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1139409660-6zlk8ai1hnvkuki5h8ky4iieq0odz6npw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1140065238-vwvrypvuzt8nveop6d3ubfabddoqljcpw

https://pokepast.es/f8e8fc0e68d1f6b2

Not really posting this for sample submissions, as I don't have replays to accompany it and I don't think it's a very good team anyway since it struggles with a lot of of the best Pokemon like Darm and setup, but it was one I made and played with for a while before DLC happened and I just felt like sharing it I guess since I had fun using it. Dragon Tail Zekrom is cool but with HDB being so good, it doesn't often do as much in practice besides shuffle switches to FC Dragons/Electric resists. Scarf Exca is also fun since it outspeeds Zacian with Jolly and OHKOs with Earthquake if it's taken minimal chip but sacrificing damage from Adamant can occasionally be troublesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)