*Big* News for breeding in XY.

And thanks to this, I just bred my first competitive Pokemon (quint-flawless Adamant Huge Power Marill) without RNG.

So much <3 for Morimoto right now.

Question: Does this affect the gender of the baby, though? I bred ~20 Marill, and even though Marill has a 50/50 M/F ratio, ~15 of them were female while my female Marill held the Destiny Knot.
could just be luck, but it could also be that they altered the gender ratio for marill and azumarill in X/Y. prior to this gen azurill had a 75% chance to be female (which is exactly spot on with 15/20), but due to marill's 50/50 gender chance azurill would sometimes become male upon evolution. since that was probably an oversight, maybe they fixed it by altering marill/azumarill's gender ratios instead.

Lets say I wanted to acquire a Timid Greninja with at least 5 Flawless IVs. What are the steps to getting the exact nature and IV's I want?

Lets say I wanted to acquire a Timid Greninja with at least 5 Flawless IVs. What are the steps to getting the exact nature and IV's I want?
One possible option, according to my understanding:
  1. Get a Timid Ditto and a Frogadier (or a Ditto and a Timid Frogadier) each from a Friend Safari. This guarantees they will have at least 2 perfect IVs each. For example, the Ditto will have say max HP and max speed IVs. The Frogadier has max attack and max special attack IVs.
  2. Give the Timid parent an Everstone and the other parent a Destiny Knot and put them in the Day Care.
  3. The Destiny Knot will help increase the chances of the HP, speed, attack, and special attack IVs being passed to the baby Froakies. Using the IV checker in Kiloude, hatch Froakie eggs until you get a baby with those 4 31 IVs. Then, pair the new Froakie with, for example, a new Ditto with 31 defense and special defense IVs. Everstone the Froakie and Destiny Knot the Ditto. You have low chances of getting 5 perfect IVs.
To help improve the chances between each step, you can breed the new babies with each other. For example, a male Froakie can have 31 HP and Attack and a female Froakie can have 31 Attack and Speed. You can breed these two with the Everstone and Destiny Knot. There will be a higher chance of the babies having the perfect attack IV, since both parents have it and either can have a chance of passing it. You get a new baby with 31 HP, Attack, and Speed because you're lucky.

You can put it with the original Frogadier and try to get the Special Attack IV to pass and still have good chances with the Attack. New babies will have new combinations of perfect IVs, and depending on your luck, you can keep pairing them together to get more and more perfect IVs between the parents. You can eventually end up with like 31 HP, Attack, Defense, Speed and 31 HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, and Speed on each parent and you will have pretty good chances to get a good final baby Froakie.

In summary, there are 12 total IVs among the two parents. Five of those will be guaranteed to be passed on with the Destiny Knot. The more perfect IVs between them, the more likely that one of the five chosen IVs will be the perfect IV.

There might be a better way of doing this (or a clearer way of explaining), but that's what I believe this does.

There might be a better way of doing this (or a clearer way of explaining), but that's what I believe this does.
Use a Timid Synchronise Ralts or something to find a Female Frogadier in the Safari, then go out and find a baby Male Mantyke with a different set of unique IVs (and then evolve it). Breed them together until you have a Quint-31 Froakie, and if you need to take it further, breed that Frogadier with a Timid Ditto from the Safari.

Q: does destiny knot stack with power items? eg, i want to make sure i have 31 speed. will a power anklet cancel out destiny knot or vice versa?

Q: does destiny knot stack with power items? eg, i want to make sure i have 31 speed. will a power anklet cancel out destiny knot or vice versa?
Destiny Knot makes it so that the inherited IVs are increased from 3 to 5.

Power Items locks in one of the inherited IVs.

If you ran both a power item and Destiny Knot you would have 1 locked IV and 4 randomly picked IVs from the parents.

I wasn't really seeing the benefit of this until somebody mentioned chain breeding. You still need all the 31s somewhere on your parents (not quite as easy as it sounds, even with Friend Safari & the baby trick), but it definitely cuts down on the effort once you do.

And then there's the whole female-Egg-move thing on top of that... Now all we need is a completed list of the new Egg Moves.

Man, I read "five abilities" and for a moment I thought there were Hidden Hidden Abilities in this game ("you have to hold Destiny Knot and have DW parents to get a chance of yet ANOTHER Hidden Ability!!!"). I'm almost disappointed.

So, let me see. We start using Synchronize to catch good-natured double-flawless parents on the Safari; then, we let both breed holding an Everstone and a Power Item; once we get two triple-flawless (or even quad-) pokémon, we put both to breed, one holding an Everstone and the other, a Destiny Knot; finally, if need be, we put the latter's quad-flawless offspring to breed. This is all without even touching the PokéBank for good parents.

gg GG?
In that example you still only have 4 31s until you get lucky and pick up a 5th at random.

Pokémon XY has so many good things going for it and now this little bit of info has been revealed...
I wish that legends got more than 3 perfect IVs though cos we can't breed them. What is the chances of getting a flawless legend in this gen? has anyone got one yet?

Pokémon XY has so many good things going for it and now this little bit of info has been revealed...
I wish that legends got more than 3 perfect IVs though cos we can't breed them. What is the chances of getting a flawless legend in this gen? has anyone got one yet?
Almost, if it wasn't for the horrible spdef. (0-1) Specifically speaking, I got Yveltal, Timid, IVs 30-31 / 31 / 31 / 31/ 0-1 / 31

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Destiny Knot makes it so that the inherited IVs are increased from 3 to 5.

Power Items locks in one of the inherited IVs.

If you ran both a power item and Destiny Knot you would have 1 locked IV and 4 randomly picked IVs from the parents.
You lose on everstone, so there isn't much point.

Tbh not too much. Like 1-2 hours worth of SRing. I took longer getting the synchronizers for it. 4 hours for a timid Ralts via breeding. >_>
If you can get your hands on a Munna via friend safari, they take half as long to hatch compared to Ralts and Abra for faster synchronisers :P

I've currently got a decent breeding stock of starters with 3 perfect IVs and normal/hidden abilities, shouldn't be too long until I start churning out ones with 5 perfect IVs once I get the required army of synchronised Dittos out of the Friend Safari.

I'd love some more info on egg moves before I commit the time to it though.

So just to summarise things:
-Male Pokémon can now pass on DW abilities
-Female Pokémon can also pass on eggmoves and the ball type
-And there is an item which can pass on around 5 IVs
Am I missing anything? Does having a foreign parent still increase shininess?

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So just to summarise things:
-Male Pokémon can now pass on DW abilities
-Female Pokémon can also pass on eggmoves and the ball type
-And there is an item which can pass on around 5 IVs
Am I missing anything? Does having a foreign parent still increase shininess?
Yes to all of these.

What happens if I don't have a normal type to select from in the friend safari?
Nothing.

Just bred a Hexaflawless Modest Ralts this morning, in a Premium Ball. It involved a lot of egg breaking, but it is possible.

My advice is to breed with Power Items and Destiny Knot until you have two Pokémon of the same species with four perfect IVs, like 31/31/31/31/XX/XX and XX/XX/31/31/31/31 or any other combination such as long as you have a couple that can give to the child every single stat a perfect IV. Then, when you breed a male with at least 5 perfect IVs, you breed females of the desired nature and poke ball with the other missing IV until you produce a female with 5 perfect IVs. Then you breed the two until a Hexaflawless comes out.

I advice you use your final breeding couple with a 31/31/31/31/31/XX spread and the other XX/31/31/31/31/31, or something similar. Don't leave the same stat imperfect for both Pokémon, or that will skew you statistically. If luck picks a perfect IV that the other pair doesn't have perfect, you have 100% chance of having all IVs passed on as perfect IVs. Then you have about 3% chance or something of having the final one perfect. I think...

Or just call it a day when you pull 5 perfect IVs... Whatever.

Last edited:
by the way (don't know if posted before) but i read that ALL wild pokemon in the NO EGG group have 3 flawess stat is this right?
I caught a wild Electrode in lost Safari - it has 2 perfect IVs. More research needed...

Edit: Wild Carbink, 1 perfect IV

Edit 2: Wild Lunatone, myth = busted.

Edit3: I may be thinking of the wrong egg group here....

Last edited:
by the way (don't know if posted before) but i read that ALL wild pokemon in the NO EGG group have 3 flawess stat is this right?
Not quite. Pokemon that can't breed at all, not even with a Ditto, get 3 flawless IVs by default. This is intended for legendary Pokemon, mostly, but also extends to wild baby Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)