Pokémon Bisharp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Gyarados doesn't resist Fairy.

Honestly, I'd say Crobat actually makes a really good partner for Bisharp.
Bisharp isn't weak to Fairy, so Gyarados is a great partner. Not to mention Bisharp has STAB Iron Head to smash Sylveon/Clefable/Azu, so resisting Fairy isn't a big concern.

Crobat would make a good partner based on his typing, and a fast Brave Bird to check Fighting-types which Bisharp despises. Keep in mind though that Defog users don't pair well with Bisharp. One of Bisharp's biggest selling points is his ability to threaten opposing Defoggers and keep your hazards up, so using Defog yourself would be a waste.

Anyone else notice how handy low kick can be? One shotting unsuspecting Heatran is extremely satisfying. I feel as though it deserves some recognition.
Due to the Steel-type nerf Bisharp doesn't need Low Kick as much, but it's definitely a solid option on Bisharp. It's most noteworthy for catching Lucario on the switch, but also for OHKOing Heatran after SR, taking out opposing Bisharp, and also being your only decent option against Mega Aggron. The trouble is how hard it is to give up one of Bisharp's other moves like SD or Sub for the extra coverage.

You might want to put Taunt in the notable move section or in one of the sets. Its generally a good move on set-up sweepers so I guess it can be used on Bisharp as well. Also I think a lead set could work with Taunt and Stealth rock and it gets Sucker punch which works well in tandem with taunt and sets it apart from the very wide variety of leads in OU. Also, it doesn't need too much speed investment to outspeed most other leads with taunt (not deoxys-s lol) I think the set should at least be mentioned.

EDIT: Just had an idea, would pursuit trapping Bisharp be viable at at all? Pursuit works extremely well with Taunt and Sucker punch. The final move could be like Iron head or Low kick and it could hold Life Orb or Blackglasses for power (Pursuit is still weak even with the boost)
Just think about it for a second.

(I apologise if someone posted something similar, I can't be bothered to read 6 pages of posts)

Last edited:
EDIT: Just had an idea, would pursuit trapping Bisharp be viable at at all? Pursuit works extremely well with Taunt and Sucker punch. The final move could be like Iron head or Low kick and it could hold Life Orb or Blackglasses for power (Pursuit is still weak even with the boost)
Just think about it for a second.

(I apologise if someone posted something similar, I can't be bothered to read 6 pages of posts)
Pursuit sharp isn't just viable; it's one of the best goddamn trappers in the whole meta. It's so goddamn sexy because it traps Lati@s, Aegis, and weakened genesect that predicts the sucker punch. There are many more, but those are the big ones. Once again, it's sexy af. I've been using Pursuit/Knock Off/Sucker Punch/Iron Head with LO. You'd think that I'd miss SD, but I really don't unless I'm against a weakened mandibuzz that has been toxiced or something.

Deluks917

Ride on Shooting Star
I have also been using pursuit LO bisharp. Really great on teams that might otherwise have problems with lati@s. Super useful if you are using Char-Y or Landorus etc. Also the LO sucker punch is so great.

how do you beat bisharp? it murders all the children with sunglasses on!
actually there aren't even many checks to +2 bisharp: conk, breloom, infernape, terrakion, cobalion, virizion, keldeo, dragonite, mega aggron, chesnaught
and most of them are kinda low-profile

also note that physical tank like skarmory, gliscor, hippowdon as well as intimidate will not work
and will-o-wisp can miss
I secretly wish this thing should be banned

thanks i already thought of conk. but that's cool how terrakion can switch into sucker punch, take one at +2 and get a +1 atk boost from justified then kill with close combat. but he can only switch into sucker punch cause knock off or iron head + sucker punch kills.

thanks i already thought of conk. but that's cool how terrakion can switch into sucker punch, take one at +2 and get a +1 atk boost from justified then kill with close combat. but he can only switch into sucker punch cause knock off or iron head + sucker punch kills.
Terrakion can't switch in, it MUST get a free switch-in as, at +2, Sucker Punch 2HKO's. If you predict right, you can use Iron Head/Knock Off to the point where it's low enough to OHKO with Sucker Punch.

The best counter is probably Breloom and Lucario. Lucario Vacuum Wave is awesome, outspeeds, and Sucker Punch does jackshit. Breloom has Mach Punch.

How many speed EVs should Adamant Bisharp use? I plan to use a Sub + 3 attacks set. When I click the 'usage' set on Bisharp on the damage calculator, it says 224 speed EVs. Why is that?

Pair Bisharp with Tflame, priority is always good. Not only can you pursuit pokemon to weaken them so that tflame can easily pick them off but you have a counter to volcarona, who would walk all over bisharp.

Due to the Steel-type nerf Bisharp doesn't need Low Kick as much, but it's definitely a solid option on Bisharp. It's most noteworthy for catching Lucario on the switch, but also for OHKOing Heatran after SR, taking out opposing Bisharp, and also being your only decent option against Mega Aggron. The trouble is how hard it is to give up one of Bisharp's other moves like SD or Sub for the extra coverage.
Low Kick is also great for nailing other Bisharp, in case your team is weak to it. Just putting this out there haha.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Low Kick is also great for nailing other Bisharp, in case your team is weak to it. Just putting this out there haha.
Uh... I said that in the exact post you're quoting :[

How many speed EVs should Adamant Bisharp use? I plan to use a Sub + 3 attacks set. When I click the 'usage' set on Bisharp on the damage calculator, it says 224 speed EVs. Why is that?
It's generally best to run max speed on Bisharp to outspeed as many threats as possible, such as defensive Lando-T and Rotom-W. I'm not sure why the damage calc suggests 224, since those few HP EVs aren't going to make much of a difference.

how do you beat bisharp? it murders all the children with sunglasses on!
It depends on the situation. I dont know if there is something that can switch into a + 2 bisharps Knock off/Ironhead and ko back, i doubt it. However, getting in something on a predicted Sucker Punch is usually an option, once u got something in its not that hard to stop it. Most physical walls can take a hit and phaze/kill it or u can bring in something faster with an SE move that can take 1 sucker punch, pretty much every dark type and some fighting types can take a sucker punch with ease. If u cant get something in on a Sucker Punch u will have to revenge kill it after something dies. Normally u shouldnt lose more than 1 poke to it.

Uh... I said that in the exact post you're quoting
I must be blind, then. I went over it like 5 time to see if Bisharp was mentioned. Wow... (I mostly just said that cuz a great Bisharp counter is actually Biaharp.)

Bisharp plays the exact same way as Pawniard does in LC, you just have to play mind games with pokemon who have faster priority, and hope it works out in your favor. (Alternatively, Conkeldurr is a great counter)

Best counter to Bisharp is really any fighting type with Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave.

What makes Bisharp so frightning is how it can play mind-games around you. With right predictions, you may win or lose a battle against a Talonflame. The most common mistake people do though? They switch. NEVER! Switch when a Bisharp has a SD up. Knock Off 2HKO's the entire meta-game, Iron Head is essentially the same, after one of them are used, Sucker Punch.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Probably a decent check to Bisharp is Keldeo, since it resists both of its STABs and KOes back in return with Secret Sword. I've been using the pony as an answer to and it's been working wonders.

I've been thinking of using an AssVest Bisharp lately. However, does someone know an optimal EV spread? Not sure if 252+ ATK / 252 HP / 4 SpDef is efficient.

I love Bisharp. It can absolute manhandle unprepared teams.

I'm currently running a set with Knock Off / Sucker Punch / Pursuit / Iron Head with Life Orb. Even though it doesn't have Swords Dance, I often find myself with either a +2 or a +1 from random Defogs and Intimidates. (I have no clue why some people switch in Lando-T or mega evolve Manectric and thus giving me an attack boost.) There are other times when switching into stray Moonblasts and Shadow Balls where I get the stat drop, and Bisharp just goes on a frenzy. Pursuit is just absolutely lovely when switching into a Lati@s and thus getting rid of the opposing team's defogger for the rest of the game. Knock Off is so spammable it's not even funny. Removing Leftovers, Assault Vests, and Eviolites is just tasty. Iron Head is essential in dealing with various Fairies while also a way to muscle past Mandibuzz after I've knocked off its Leftovers, and Sucker Punch is an amazing move in forcing mind games.

Playing against Bisharp must be an absolute nightmare. The amount of pressure it brings upon the opposition is what every offensive team should be using. It's also a mind game when playing against faster pokemon. "Do I attack or predict for the sucker punch?" Bam. You're down one pokemon because you mispredicted.

If you could sum up the Hyper Offensive archetype in one Pokemon, it would be this one. If you want to use something that can bring offensive pressure upon your opponent, then definitely use everybody's favorite Power Ranger, Bisharp.

so what do you reckon it is about bisharp that makes it such a threat in this gen, whereas in the previous gen it couldnt really be built in to teams? just the decline of fighting types?

so what do you reckon it is about bisharp that makes it such a threat in this gen, whereas in the previous gen it couldnt really be built in to teams? just the decline of fighting types?
No, the knock off buff, the steel nerf defensively and buff in the offensive departement.

I finally have an Adamant Max Attack Knock off Bisharp on my X and Y cartridge :)

Im so happy, now I can destroy some souls in game as well on Showdown

No, the knock off buff, the steel nerf defensively and buff in the offensive departement.
To add to this, the defensive nerf to Steel types actually worked to Bisharp's benefit beyond simply giving its Dark STAB better coverage. Thanks to its Dark typing, Bisharp still resists Dark and Ghost, unlike most other Steel types. It's also one of the only Dark types that isn't hit super-effectively by Fairy types; in fact, Bisharp can defeat many Fairies with Iron Head. These resistances and neutrality give Bisharp a defensive niche over both other Steel types and other Dark types that it didn't have last generation.

To add to this, the defensive nerf to Steel types actually worked to Bisharp's benefit beyond simply giving its Dark STAB better coverage. Thanks to its Dark typing, Bisharp still resists Dark and Ghost, unlike most other Steel types. It's also one of the only Dark types that isn't hit super-effectively by Fairy types; in fact, Bisharp can defeat many Fairies with Iron Head. These resistances and neutrality give Bisharp a defensive niche over both other Steel types and other Dark types that it didn't have last generation.
You expalined what I meant with the nerf on the defensive side. Anyway the burds of ou certainly also helped red ranger here. Because all fighting types except conk have seen less usage.

Does anyone run Stealth Rock on this thing? My team is already kind of full and I am trying to find a slot for SR without having to redo my team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)