CAP 13 CAP 2 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that we're in no rush to finish this stage. Don't feel prematurely pushed to make a final submission yet, I haven't even given the 48 hour warning! Because of how short the stats stage was, I am giving artists 48 hours after the abilities stage ends to finish their work and submit it in a final form. Please feel free to keep working diligently on your concepts until then. I'll give you a 48 and 24 hour warning when we get there.

Keep in mind that we're in no rush to finish this stage. Don't feel prematurely pushed to make a final submission yet, I haven't even given the 48 hour warning! Because of how short the stats stage was, I am giving artists 48 hours after the abilities stage ends to finish their work and submit it in a final form. Please feel free to keep working diligently on your concepts until then. I'll give you a 48 and 24 hour warning when we get there.
So artists have about 4 or 5 days? That should be enough time for everyone to create masterpieces.

Paras Hilton
Good design but the lack of sketch explanation makes it...sketchy.

And since I can't remember if I said this or not, good job Yilx on such a magnificent job.

Aura Disciple: I don't know what Paras Hilton's take on this is, but I just realised that it could sketch by using that axe to hack its stump-helmet into a shape that will allow the desired move to be used. Bonus points for being a permanent change to the monster's shape (unless it ditched the current stump and got a brand-spanking-new one).

I think Yilx has demonstrated very ably that Ghost types wouldn't even need a "sketch" component in their design to plausibly use Sketch - Ghosts can simply conjure an apparition of the attack/attacking Pokemon. In that sense, while it's nice that designs like Mos-Quixtoxe's, mine, and many other designs attempt to incorporate sketch at a fundamental level, it's not strictly necessary so long as the Ghost typing shines through enough.

(Also I just love Ghost Log and need to defend it, but the broader point stands).

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well, I think I'm coming close to my CAP2 final submission! There's still work that has to be done, but I think/hope the idea is developing well. I hope you enjoy. Here's the latest image:

You can check out my original post of this concept by clicking here. The below hide tags provide my reasoning and thought process in coming up with this design.

I think the Grass-typing shines through rather well in this design. Obviously, it's an ear of corn, although slightly deadened. It also has vine-like appendages that it can use to cling and grasp objects. Its "cloak" is actually a withering husk. I'm considering making this husk a bit more wispy looking, but I don't want to over-complicate the design. The yellow eye holes, although eerie, also represent light to some degree, which the plant once used to synthesize.

The Ghost-typing also plays a role in the design. Its withered coat and almost zombie-like limbs suggest this to some degree. The mask face with glowing eyes also embodies the ghastly theme. The entire plant is deadened instead of the bright green and yellow shades that corn is well known for. The purple on the fringe of the husk and over the eyes also add a sense of royalty while supporting the Ghost-type concept.

Although I haven't drawn this in any doodles yet, the back of its husk will have a scythe emblem (think along the lines of Bronzong). This is because I wanted to incorporate a Grim Reaper-like theme to the design. I was (and still am to a degree) considering giving this concept a scythe made of the dead sheath it once lived upon. Upon further consideration, I deemed it a semi-bad idea since the real world of Pokemon hardly uses props, and if it does, it's never a tool. So I decided to add metal edges to the ends of its tentacles.

Scythes are a perfect marriage for my CAP2 design, in my opinion. Since I'd consider it to be the denizen of abandoned farmland/prairies/savanna, it harvests dead plants to keep the ecosystem running smoothly. The scythe also symbolizes death. While I don't imagine CAP2 as a malicious Pokemon, the symbolism of scythes does resonate for a Ghost-type. While I don't want to get too much into flavor, I will say that I'm fond of CAP2 making field mazes for children to play in/victims to get lost in. Just something to think about!

Here, check out my doodle from the last topic:

As you can see from the top set of images, my design uses its kernel to perform sketch! While normal seeds cannot hold this power, CAP2's Ghost-typing easily justifies the supernatural power. In battle, it can simply pop off a kernel to ignite the Sketch'd move. While it hasn't been decided how CAP2 will learn Sketch, I have a few ideas that I'll share in future doodles. I wanted to drift away from a paint-like design, so I hope this trips your trigger!

So that's what I have for now; my next step will be to do some more doodles of my concept. If you have any drawn shots that you'd like to see or moves that you'd like to see it perform, just give me a shout out! Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Another concept I came up with, based off of a cobra lily. This Pokemon's entire body is nothing but a hollow shell, as its real "core" is concentrated in the lantern on its tail.

I would appreciate suggestions and criticisms, especially on how it fits the theme.

I really like all the diversity in this thread. It's very hard imagining a unique typing like grass/ghost artistically and I think you all have nailed it. Good job!

canno

formerly The Reptile
IMO, the hands look a little too robot-like for a woodland creature/spirit/whatever, but besides that, I really like the idea.
I was trying to go with a puppet-look for it. However, now that I look at it, I do see the robotism in it. I'll try to change that asap (probably tomorrow).

Well I wasn't originally going to post this, but I figured there was no harm to it. I think someone already posted a tiki-mask Pokemon, but I couldn't find it.

The Old One:

The idea was that he turned up after forest fires and drew patterns in the ash, but then [strk]I had a brain fade and gave him yellow/green markings and hands instead of the obvious black.[/strk] Okay I've fixed that, and used a new, sharper green marker too. Ugh, my scanner mangles those colours though.

Idk, i just had an idea after reading about the snakethings lanturn above and the corn eyes with the sun thing.

My inspiration behind this was a guardian spirit, similar to Wyverii's, but this guy is a spirit to guide both lost travellers through deep woods and to help other spirits find a way to the after life with the orb of light in it's lanturn. It also uses it's lanturn to elementize and alter it's attacks to give them new properties, allowing it to use any move possible.

I'm gonna work on some supporting materials, so if you have any Constructive Crit, i could really use it :)

Doran Doran that looks really cool. Both types come through really clearly and it is a pretty original concept. My only criticism would be the mouth, it just looks weird to me i guess, but at the same time it kind of fits, so take from that what you will.

RotationalBasis i also like your design, however i think if you made the drawings on top of the head more prominent and interesting it would really help make the whole "tiki-mon" thing more obvious and eye-catching.

All in all i am loving the designs in this thread, any of them could be a good Sketchmon in my opinion.

Okay, I've updated my original post with a newer image. Jealous I understand exactly what you mean, but have no idea how to put it into effect.

Having said that, I'm not hugely attached to having my name attributed, so I don't mind if someone draws up a better design, and it becomes a collaboration. Can you even do that?

Help!

Ok I'm trying to do a final submission but I can't get my images to show up. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong so if someone could help that would be awesome.

Also Birkal I really enjoy yours. I'd like to see maybe a darker color on the "husk" portion. But overall I think I like yours the best concept haha.

Doran Dragon, I'm gonna have to tell you that your pokémon does not at all look like the mon we're making...
It does not look like something with 120 Atk, 81 speed, 61 HP...
And it has nothing to do with sketch as far as I can see.
Don't get me wrong, it looks nice and could be a cool pokémon. It's just not the pokémon we need...

@ AlfaTyrogue: And Azelf does give off a proper 125 Atk to you?
I actually find his artwork one of the more imaginative ones for a pokemon with a Grass/Ghost typing, really.
And I don't see how you can't see anything Sketch related in it, tbh. Just like Doran Dragon said, the spirit can conjure anything from it's lightbulb in front, which seems a 100% fine explanation to me.

I do have to agree with Jealous however. Somehow the mouth throws me off, it fits and yet it doesn't xD

Anyway, Yilx and Mos-Quitoxe likely are still my favourites, but Doran Dragon's spirit certainly has a top 3 spot chance, at least in my book. So I don't understand the "It's just not the pokemon we need...", AlfaTyrogue. I think it's a good and fitting design for the concept, really.

@ Yilx This design is fantastic! When I visualise a grass/ghost pokemon I picture 'dead plant', and so brown colour to the vegetation part of your pokemon works amazingly in a creative/elegant way. From the teeth on the end of the pokemon's arms to the black 'dress' with the eyes on all in a sleek package has made me fall in love with it.

Close second to me would be DougJustDoug It actually tears me apart to decide between the two, because this actually feels like a pokemon, and its obvious a lot of thought was put into its backstory and how it would function. Personally I like the pokemon just as it is, wouldn't want to touch such an impeccable design. The 'awards' grab your attention into a well thought out pokemon.

The only thing that sways me towards Yilx is the sheer dramatic input into the supporting art.

This has been an interesting pokemon to follow into its being. Can not wait for the finished product.

Ok I'm trying to do a final submission but I can't get my images to show up. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong so if someone could help that would be awesome.
It may be that you suffer the same problem as me and have the picture links stop working when you try to edit the post or change it after looking at it in the preview. My only solution to this would be to not use the preview or edit the post after it goes up. So you'd best get everything right the first time!

I really like all the diversity in this thread. It's very hard imagining a unique typing like grass/ghost artistically and I think you all have nailed it. Good job!
This. Having read through this entire thread now, I can say that everyone is doing a good job so far!

Although, if I had to pick out favorites...

DougJustDoug: I really enjoyed reading about the concepts behind Weeping Willow (both the art(ist) references and competitive aspects). Breeding with a particular item is a very good idea to work with, as it allows for CAP 2 to keep true to its Grass / Ghost roots -- with very little confusion about "how it can breed with Smeargle". Weeping Willow looks as if it can perform both contact and non-contact moves, most noticeably Quiver Dance and blade-based attacks (the latter is invalid if the masks won't be used for attacks (also implying that I would much rather seem them act as talismans as opposed to Weeping Willow wearing them to signify her 'mode') and has the shape to compliment Limber as its potential ability. I also really love the seasonal forms ^^. Beautiful CAP-mon and excellent concept + background story, I can't wait to see the supporting art!

Yilx: Your concept behind CAP 2 using Sketched moves is without a doubt the most unique in this thread so far. "Channeling" moves sets your creation apart from just about every design in this thread. With that much in mind, I can see this Pokemon with a pretty menacing, yet elegant (flavor-wise) movepool. I can see Flytrap Miko naturally using everything from Petal Dance and Quiver Dance to Crunch and Hex without it looking too awkward / out of character. I reeeeeeaaallly love your submission and hope that it goes pretty far -- in both the next stage and polls.

Tea_and_blues: Wow. I didn't really want to see paintbrush-based Pokemon for this CAP, but you (and Sentret!) made me have a change in heart. The supporting artwork is what really draws me to your design, as it fully incorporates Sketch into every move it uses. Your submission makes a lot of sense despite being pretty creative (both the design background and backstory (IMO)), thus I love every part of it.

LouisCyphre: Fierce looks pretty intimidating and stiff, but I can also see him using every move in the game. The bipedal stance definitely helps give him a better sense of flexibility with moves, allowing for moves such as HJK and Seismic Toss; although, the quadrupedal stance shows Fierce's bulk better. I only have one question: Will Fierce get another size decrease? Idk, it just seems as if something closer to the average adult male would make certain moves look a lot better coming from Fierce. On a side note the large size makes me snicker a bit; it just seems as if a large, moving tree is bound to cause many pants to fill to the brim with shit upon being noticed, which is pretty funny IMO. This is definitely one of my more favorite entries so far!

Mos-Quitoxe: Excellent concept and supporting material. The idea of having Origamimon change its shape to perform certain moves is really cool. I particularly enjoyed the supporting art, which really shows how well Origamimon can adapt to the nature of the move it uses (painting different kanji on its face for a certain type of blast-based move is also pretty rape). The design itself shows that this CAP-mon has a meh HP stat, but really good defenses; offensively, it looks pretty sharp, so to speak, showing off its high attack stat... and I love the version without the flowers more ;_;

Wyverii: I'm in love with your design. It's ridiculously cute, but maintains a "not to be underestimated" feel. It's not overly detailed like some submissions or heavily based on either type, which is something that I adore seeing in a CAP. Very good so far =)

MrcRanger97: Bongo Bongo reference in the first design? Regardless, I really like your concept so far. Can't wait to see it progress and eventually finalized.

Good job @ everyone and keep up the great work!

I accidentally overwrote some of my other supporting work. Good job Wyverii. Playing around with the idea of my 'mon being a muse, inspiring artists by putting their body and soul into writing (literally). Of course the quill isn't going to be a normal prop for their design but I figure if you live in a forest it'd be fairly easy to fashion one from the birds that live there. I certainly don't want this to be a defining trait of my 'mon but I think it's an okay idea and fits well.

Going for a very rough, bold cartoon style here.

Main sub for those who don't want to search the thread

Top designs for me at the moment are Mos-Quitoxe's design whom just made me completely and utterly fall in love with the concept with that comic support and DougJustDoug's design below that for what's probably the most elegant design with those leaf patterns.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the feedback, friends; I really appreciate it! I had a great talk with Wyverii yesterday on some things I could improve, so expect some developing artwork and doodles up soon.

Everything's looking really great so far; keep it up CAP! Loving the variation in themes, from obvious concepts to very subtle integrations. Remember, I'm still available to dish out some comments and critiques if you're looking for a second opinion. Just fire off a PM or a VM to me and I'll get right on it. I've already had a few users approach me and we've had great discussions! Don't be scared, I won't bite ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)