CaPmon Sprite Revamping

Completely agreed, Rising_Dusk. The Nohface looks really cool and original and I wasn't really sure about the Pyroak sprite either. The cannon-aiming pose is the best to date.

The Pyroak seems to a huge step down from the evire/magmortar posed ones. The arms seem way too big, and the wood doesn't look wooden enough. Maybe use a bit more of the texturing you did for the previous ones and shrink the arms a bit?

Personally I think the evire pose is the best one so far...

Ran it back to arm cannon pose. I found a rough movement cycle that works with holding the cannon out as the main frame. Redone the head and removed a lot of the texturing. There is nothing wooden ingame that goes into much detail when it comes to it.

Back is coming along, arms and feet will need a lot of tweaking but the main body feels very solid at the moment. There are some issues with getting the perspective correct but I will have to bare with it.

General flow of the potential animation is: slight bobbing of body while aiming, after a few loops aiming cannon is pulled over head then aimed again with a roaring mouth. There will be some glowing effect to the insides of the cannons, so they are kept dull for neutral state. Mouth is also required to be closed for the roar to have more impact. Tail whipping and neck movement will also be involved.

EDIT: Back's not finished! No texture has been applied because the arms and feet are going to be changed. Just thought I'd clarify that.

What is there to base that off of? Sudowoodo isnt really wood, and as far as I can tell, there isnt anything else that is notably based on wood.
A small handful of Pokémon, Venusaur, Ludicolo and Torterra possess wooden trees, but the main Pokémon this observation is based off of is Shiftry. The circular patterns that normally adorn these Pokémon don't work with Pyroak and no example of patterns running down the wood instead of around can be found. Admittedly there's not much to go on but that's all the more to be more conservative with it than go all out.

Didnt think of Shiftree... darn. I really wanted an excuse to go with the wood textures. They looked really great on Pyroak. Oh well, I guess

I'd say Shiftry is a bad example, since it barely looks wooden itself. If it weren't for the leaf hands I wouldn't even know it was a plant at all (judging by the design I mean, obviosuly the name and typing give it away.

Torterra's tree is actually relatively detailed considering the space it takes up, without the texture moving in a particular direction. And regardless of the actual direction of the grain, Venusaur's little details seem like a good base as well.
And besides, what I think you'll notice is that the sprites take after the designs of the artwork. The sprites don't follow any defined precedent but rather the official art. Shiftry's art is not textured, and neither is the sprite. Venusaur has the detail in its art, and so in its sprite as well. Pyroak has much texture in its artwork, and I think at least some of that should be present in the sprite.

Honestly though the ones you've just posted seem ok, except the head and backsprites (which aren't yet finished are they?) look like they were moulded from plastic rather than wood. (shinies look metallic...)
I maintain it looked better with more texture though.

The sprite is awesome, and I really like how you made the sprite with animations in mind. In the end it will look awesome. Add some wood texture to it and it will go from awesome to super-awesome! As it is, the arm-cannon seems fake, like it was also made of plastic.

Also, the sniny sprite being mechanic... I think you should take that idea and run with it. It sorta makes a contrast between the normal sprite being wooden and natural, while the alternate version is more mechanic and techy. And considering a lot of people hack their sprites with Pokesav, the shiny sprite would be a shout-out to the hackers.

But that's just me. Whatever you do, Pyroak will be great. Don't feel obligated to listen to me, it's just my opinion. I'd contribute myself, but I suck at spriting. So when I get the chance, I'll work on recolors. Someone give me a Dyclohm sprite with the heads sticking out of the cloud as opposed to tucked in, and I'll make a shiny recolor. I already made shiny Monohm, so it'll complete the trilogy :D I'll also do Colosshale and maybe Privatyke. (if someone else's shinies aren't already official)

One last nitpick. About Kitsnoh. His 5th gen sprite. The tail makes him look at first glance like its floating or gliding or something to do with air and flight. It's just the way it's angled in a baloon shape. It takes me a couple seconds of closer examination to recognize that it isn't the case. Seeing past the tail, it's a great sprite, but I don't want to have to see past the tail. Again, that's just my opinion.

This Pyroak is a lot better right now, Wyverii. Like you said, the arms and feet need tweaking, but regardless of that, great job up 'til now!

Keep up the great work, y'all!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This might be the correct place to post this, but are we ever going to create thumbnail sprites of CAPmons? For example:

I'm quite sure that Pokemon Showdown is going to feature these kinds of sprites on teambuilding menus (as is hidden below). I wouldn't imaging that it would be too difficult to create these sprites. Is this something the spriters at CAP have ever considered? If not, methinks they could end up looking pretty neat!

This might be the correct place to post this, but are we ever going to create thumbnail sprites of CAPmons? For example:

I'm quite sure that Pokemon Showdown is going to feature these kinds of sprites on teambuilding menus (as is hidden below). I wouldn't imaging that it would be too difficult to create these sprites. Is this something the spriters at CAP have ever considered? If not, methinks they could end up looking pretty neat!

There already are thumbnail sprites for them, for example:

theyre a bit, well...meh. a bit blocky. dont quite reach the standard of other thumbnail pokes from the game. maybe someone could improve them? make the more refined? new paint job? lol, we dont need a paint job. but that being said, maybe some of the CaPmon sprites could use a new paint-job...

I always found it odd that the concept art for Cyclohm shows a white cloud, but the Cyclohm sprite (not shiny) is a grey cloud. Is there a reason for this or was it an oversight that should be corrected?

Spriters are allowed and have always been allowed artistic freedom in converting the concept into a sprite. That stands with coloring as well.

Okay, noted.

I made a shiny Duohm sprite to go with shiny Monohm, to complete the shiny Cyclohm family.

edit: sorry for the fail before, but it's done!

out of sheer boredom and the fact that I'm not very fond of Nohface, (also as a side note there is no real Kitsunoh pre-evo) I made this...

fairly simple, but it looks more as though it would evolve into Kitsunoh than Nohface would (in my opinion)

I made it wolf like, but i'm not sure if Kitsunoh is a wolf of a cat

tell me what you think

feel free to take this and add on to it

Okay, noted.

I made a shiny Duohm sprite to go with shiny Monohm, to complete the shiny Cyclohm family.

edit: sorry for the fail before, but it's done!
I already made shiny sprites for those and many others, FYI. So maybe you should check previous pages to see what people have/haven't done first.

Alright, I did the shiny front sprites for Rebble, Bolderdash, Monohm, Duohm, Embirch, and Flarelm. I just used the shiny color scheme from their evolved forms, so let me know if you want a specific color scheme. Sorry about the white background thing, I don't know how to fix that :3

Oh, and also, I saw that Dusk didn't like the yellow submarine, so here ya go Dusk!:
Although I do like your shiny monohm sprite more.

I made Shiny Monohm before you did. I was just re-posting it. So we'll just use your Duohm and my Monohm and call it a day!

That being said, the shiny prevos aren't decided for sure until Dusk (I think) picks one. So with that in mind, here's my stab at shiny Colosshale:

So I noticed that there wasn't TOO much progress on the Nohface evo (haven't seen Doran in a while), and I wanted to take a somewhat-playful view on Nohface, making it seem more "baby" and "prevo-like". So, I present to you....Nohface!

For Comparison

C&C?

Since nobody was making a yellow submarine I decided to grab Paint's paint bucket and try it myself.

EDIT: third time's the charm

Toast, looks like you used Kitsunoh's exact paw...but goddang those are cute.

Also, on rebbel's back sprite, the shading is kinda...in a line :/ The shading it'self doesnt exactly show that its made of rocks, for one, the color differences seems a bit too soft, though that probably wouldnt matter if you showed a rocky sort of shading...

I may end up getting rid of one mask

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)