Creative (and good) Movesets (READ THE OP FIRST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I tried using a Scyther with a metronome and Fury Cutter once, and it was absolute garbage. Even with Technician, the first few times you use it are just way too weak to make Fury Cutter of any use...

BurningMan

fueled by beer
But the thead title also says they have to be good!
exactly.
its not that nobody ever tried to do this and that it would be very creative these moves simply suck, because of extremely limited coverage and they take too long to set them up. that makes them impossible to use under normal battle conditions.

Okay, so I got this from Bulbapedia:
Round is the real name for Troll said:
Round will damage the entire opposing team in a double or triple battle if it hits. It will double in power to 120 if used consecutively by teammates and will be used by teammates directly after the first user regardless of speed.
So this isn't a moveset per se, but three of them meant to be used in triples.

Deoxys-A @Life Orb
+SAtk / -Def
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
~Round
~Shadow Ball
~Superpower
~Thunderbolt

Porygon-Z @Choice Specs
Modest
~Round
~Hidden Power (Fight)
~Shadow Ball
~Trick

Togekiss @Choice Specs
Modest
~Round
~Air Slash
~Aura Sphere
~Flamethrower

In triples, send all three out at the same time. Deoxys-A will use Round, and with its insane speed it will most likely go first. Now, team members using Round will go after the last team member which used Round regardless of speed. Togekiss and Porygon-Z are slow-ish, but have the strongest Rounds in the game. Put two and two together, you get 3 insanely powerful moves spammed one after the other at near-godly speed.

The rest of the moves all focus on taking out Ghosts, Rocks and Steels. This is a huge gimmick, but why not try giving it a spin?

In triples, send all three out at the same time. Deoxys-A will use Round, and with its insane speed it will most likely go first. Now, team members using Round will go after the last team member which used Round regardless of speed. Togekiss and Porygon-Z are slow-ish, but have the strongest Rounds in the game. Put two and two together, you get 3 insanely powerful moves spammed one after the other at near-godly speed.

The rest of the moves all focus on taking out Ghosts, Rocks and Steels. This is a huge gimmick, but why not try giving it a spin?
I tried something similar with Echo Voice in DW Triples. I thought Echo Voice worked the same way as Round (ie a sort of You First effect), so I had a hastily thrown together team consisting of:

Focus Sash Tornelos
Choice Scarf Swellow
Choice Specs Togekiss
Choice Specs Meloetta
Choice Specs Exploud
Choice Specs Clefable

The point was to obviously get the speed with Swellow, boosted by a MH Tailwind courtesy of Tornelos, who could then provide a bit of coverage against Fighting types. That would then chain the other two specs users.
Obviously this didn't work as I intended - interestingly I still ended up winning because the amount of power these moves were dishing out was ridiculous. Exploud and Swellow were chosen. because of Scrappy, which obviously would take care of ghosts. Meloetta and Togekiss obviously have the power. Clefable did practically nothing offensively, but it was the next best thing. I did face Empoleon , and it was promptly 2HKOd, so unless you start off facing an entire team of these typings it's not a massive wrench in the works.

Obviously Soundproof walls these moves like nothing else, but honestly who uses Soundproof? Let alone in multi-battles. The problem I can see with Round is that whilst the speed boost provided is nice, you only have to misjudge a protect and you've wasted an entire turn. Sounds like an interesting thing, though.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
It might not be new, and it's not very creative, but it's unconventional and really good.

Physical wall Jellicent

@ Leftovers
Cursed Body
Bold
236 HP / 252 Def / 20 SpDef

Will-o-Wisp
Recover
Surf
Shadow Ball

This thing is great. He gets confuse ray, acid armor and taunt as well, which could be useful, but where do you put them? His success hinges on recover + WoW, so maybe you could sub them for shadow ball? He's surprisingly bulky, and the resistances to bug, steel, fire, water and fighting immunity really make him a great wall. He's surprisingly bulky, and can sponge weak physical hits all day. Cursed body is amazing too. There are several pokemon that run a single coverage move to hit ghosts, which allows jell to wall them perfectly once it's disabled. Good examples are conkeldurr, reuniclus, blaziken....

I was using him incorrectly at first. I was using the special wall set, but it felt lackluster without the right support. He really can't succeed as a special wall without ferrothorn or amoonguss as special grass type attacks have become so common. While he can wall physical attackers with a burn, special ones just blow right through him. Gengar, zapdos, thundurus, serperior, hydreigon ect. all obliterate him fairly easily because he has no special resistances save for water ice and fire.

FYI that is standard jellicent ever since the beggining of BW(at least thats what i think) so its not so creative. In term of spread though.
The only difference is cursed bidy but yeah jellicent with cursed body is.... AWESOME

in a fight earlier i faced the following pokemon that really almost led me to a ragequit...

TROPIUS@lum berry
harvest
leech seed
rest
substitute
air slash
i don't know evs but that thing was really bulky and took even supereffective hits like a champ(my defensive heatran couldn't ko with lava plume) so i believe most evs were invested in sp.defense,something like 252 hp/164 sp.def./88 def.i was lucky to have ferrothorn alive they couldn't touch each other but it led to a double switch which helped kill it with a predicted d-meteor from latios...but seriously that thing took out my heatran(yeah i know i was so angry when i didn't ko that i switched out immediately) and also roobushin and gengar(it just rested all the damage i did)...

I played this guy on PO the other day and it was really annoying. Seriously.

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
Pressure
252 HP / 200 Def / 58 SpD
-Protect
-Substitute
-Claw Sharpen
-Dragon Tail / Dragon Claw

The thing that makes it so annoying is Pressure. Most SE moves on it have low PP and are physical (Stone Edge, Gyro ball, etc.) which means you can literally stall out the SE move and when the PP is used up, Claw Sharpen boosts the power of Dragon Tail and after one it never misses (or at least I think so) a boosted Dragon Tail + Hazards really causes Headaches. I did manage to take it out, but I took a beating in the process.

@Tropius kinda a rip off of Exggy. Generally anything faster than it and has a Super Effective move beats it, but it can be useful for mid/late game. Not to mention anything with Knock off or trick

I played this guy on PO the other day and it was really annoying. Seriously.

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
Pressure
252 HP / 200 Def / 58 SpD
-Protect
-Substitute
-Claw Sharpen
-Dragon Tail / Dragon Claw
Pressure a useful ability? Say it ain't so.

I'm sorely tempted by Kyurem, it being almost Uber, so i'll have to give this guy a go sometime.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Adamant
Technician
252 HP/ 196 SpD/ 60 Att
-Iron Defence
-Bullet Punch
-Roost
-Superpower/X-Scissor/(this is the slot I have the most trouble with)

Tank Scizor. He can eat a moderate special attack (besides the obvious Fire), and once that Iron Defense is up, it's time to start Bullet Punching and Roosting. I have tested Superpower and X-Scissor, and while Superpower seems to get better coverage, the Attack drop really kills him. X-Scissor is good, but you're walled by Steels and all that nonsense. I would love a suggestion for that last slot maybe Counter? It really does catch people off guard though, and after the setup he really pisses off the other team because it seems like they don't know what to do while he picks them off (I have a Heatran on my team to prevent those Fire-types).

This is purely theorymonned, but after reading up a little on the mechanics of the ability Super Luck I've come up with something which may be worthwhile for Absol.

Absol@Scope Lens
252Atk/252Spe/4Def
Super Luck, Jolly Nature

Night Slash
Psycho Cut
Superpower
Substitute

Essentially, crits work in stages - with stage 1 being default at 6.25%. Moves like Slash or SE get stage 2 - 12.5%. Normal pokemon with Scope Lens reach stage 3, 25%, and can use Focus energy to hit stage 4 - 33%. But with Super Luck, which effectively doubles the crit stage for all his moves, Absol gets to stage 5 (would be 6 but 5 is the max) - 50%. On this set, half of the time Night Slash and Psycho Cut will be critting, and 1/3 of the time Superpower will be.

The basic premise is to get in safely, sub, then use the crits to break down things which would otherwise wall you or a team member by subbing as they come in then hitting them for (hopefully) a crit. Sucker Punch can be used over any of the attacks to finish things which have just broken your sub, either depleting your coverage or the reliability of your STAB (as well as dropping crit chances).

Even if forced out, if you can come in again and hit the same opponent again, you should be doing on average 1.5x the normal damage over two hits as, on average, one of them should crit. If your opponent is slower, then this works even more in your advantage as you can get the 2 attacks off without being forced out.

I guess you could use a scarf variant instead, with probably SE as the fourth attack given its high Crit ratio. It wouldn't be beating other scarfers, but could wallbreak fairly well even without a boost thanks to the crit ratio, and still manages to beat base 130s and the speed landmarks of 404 and 405. A CB could be used if you want it to hit insanely hard when critting, but may be unecessary (not done calcs).

EDIT: Adamant over Jolly lets you OHKO Roobushin with minor prior damage if you crit it with Psycho Cut, Jolly misses out if it has HP investment. Adamant Scarfed Absol beats base 120s by one point still. Misses out on ScarfTran, and +1 Blaziken, but still beats ScarfTar.

This is purely theorymonned, but after reading up a little on the mechanics of the ability Super Luck I've come up with something which may be worthwhile for Absol.

Absol@Scope Lens
252Atk/252Spe/4Def
Super Luck, Jolly Nature

Night Slash
Psycho Cut
Superpower
Substitute
I used a similar set in DPPt without substitute and it works really well. No one expects the Scope Lens and the Critical Hits are a huge help considering Absol's fraility. I'll have to try with substitute and see how that works. It looks like a fun set!

I have been using this set with relative success...

Mienshao@wide lens/life orb
jolly
Regeneration
252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
-Hi Jump Kick
-Drain Punch
-U-turn
-Stone Edge/Fake Out

While it looks really similar to a typical Mienshao set, it plays very differently. It capitalizes on Mienshao's Regeneration ability in conjunction with Drain Punch. You use HJK to attempt a KO, and if it doesn't happen (which it won't most of the time), you finish off with a Drain Punch. The advantage of this is that Drain Punch has 100% accuracy, unlike its two main attacking moves, and gives Mienshao a much appreciated boost in HP. Used in conjunction with U-turn, Mienshao is able to hang around much longer than its fraility would suggest.

You can use Fake Out over Stone Edge to get in a free attack, but I prefer Stone Edge for coverage. Wide lens is used to increase HJK's accuracy (which helps a lot) and also for Stone Edge. Life Orb could be used, but I think it's kind of counter-productive with Drain Punch.

Been playing around with this set, mainly because it's so beautifully trollish, but it turned out to be surprisingly useful as well. It's a shame Mamanbou doesn't get a trapping move, as it with Wish and its bulk, it would be the perfect user of this combo.

Pelipper (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Keen Eye

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Submersion
- Toxic
- Whirlpool
- Roost

Submersion + Toxic forms the obvious combo here, meaning only Empoleon, Tentacruel, Quilfish, and and five abilities can completely block it - it badly poisons the opponent in two turns. Whirlpool traps the opponent so it can't just switch out of Submersion (also provides some form of offense). Roost gives you some form of recovery, so you can at least pull of the combo or trap-stall the opponent to death afterwards.

Typing only prevents status, it can't cure it, so though switching out will restore the original typing, its status won't change. There's nothing more surreal than seeing a Steel or Poison pokemon taking poison damage.

In this scenario, Pelipper is of the physically defensive variety. Most people will be chucking rocks at it, and electric moves are going hurt either way, so it seems better to prioritise one than attempt a balanced spread.

An example:
Start of turn 8
Denizen sent out Pelipper!

The foe's Crobat used Brave Bird!
Pelipper lost 96 HP! (29% of its health)
The foe's Crobat is hit with recoil!

The foe's Crobat restored a little HP using its Black Sludge!
Pelipper restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 9
Pelipper lost 91 HP! (28% of its health)

Pelipper used Whirlpool!
The foe's Crobat lost 10% of its health!

The foe's Crobat restored a little HP using its Black Sludge!
The foe's Crobat was hurt by Whirlpool!

Start of turn 10
Pelipper lost 96 HP! (29% of its health)

Pelipper used Submersion!
The foe's Crobat became of the Water type!

The foe's Crobat was hurt by Black Sludge!

Start of turn 11
The foe's Crobat used Roost!
The foe's Crobat landed on the ground!
The foe's Crobat regained health!

Pelipper used Toxic!
The foe's Crobat was poisoned!

The foe's Crobat was hurt by Black Sludge!
The foe's Crobat is hurt by poison!

In this case not only is Crobat taking poison damage, but Black Sludge is hurting it too. Any sort of defensive poison set not named Toxicroak is going to hate this.

Other pokemon that have Whirlpool and Submerse are Golduck, Seaking, and Octillery, though they need the Gen 4 HM for Whirlpool. Lumineon and Basculin/Bassurao can learn both naturally.

Lol I tried out a really similar set to that Pelipper. I used Stockpile instead of Whirlpool, and HP Grass instead of Toxic. Mine kind of sucked though. I don't know why I didn't do what you did.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Adamant
Technician
252 HP/ 196 SpD/ 60 Att
-Iron Defence
-Bullet Punch
-Roost
-Superpower/X-Scissor/(this is the slot I have the most trouble with)
I'd go Bug Bite over X-Scissor or Superpower. Using a set-up move and then lowering that stat seems counter-productive, and after tech Bug Bite is 10 points stronger then X-Scissor and can screw berry-reliant strategies up. I run a Bug Bite, Bullet Punch, Swords Dance, Roost variant in my rain team and it is pretty hard to take down.

Absol@Scope Lens
252Atk/252Spe/4Def
Super Luck, Jolly Nature

Night Slash
Psycho Cut
Superpower
Substitute
Good ol' Absol. I love the look and premise of the guy, but let me say he is really hard to get good use out of. If you're not using Choice Scarf, you've got to go with Sucker Punch, his lack of speed or bulk really kills the guy and Sucker Punch is his one way of getting good hits in. If he dies before he gets a hit in, that awesome critical hit ratio doesn't do you any good. Stone Edge also has a high critical hit ratio and will probably get more use than Psycho Cut (or you could just run it instead of Superpower). I wouldn't use the guy without a scarf though.

Pelipper (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Submersion
- Toxic
- Whirlpool
- Roost
Drizzle + Rain Dish is not banned, and Rain Dish Wingull has been released. Putting Stockpile, Substitute, or Protect in one of the move slots could help this out. If you run Rain Dish with Lefties, protect works as a pseudo-heal and can stall for toxic damage. 60/100/70 isn't amazing for a defensive wall, so you would have to be cautious about what you bring this in on, there are a lot of sweepers that could just blast through this guy. I will say that the submersion/toxic combo and his typing lets him wall Scizor pretty handily. Three turns of set-up (Whirlpool, Submersion, then Toxic?) gives your opponent a pretty huge opportunity against this guy though.

I've battled a person before who Submerged Toxiced my Ferrothorn (I didn't switch because I simply thought he'd just Ice Beam me, not Toxic). Submersion seriously needs more users. Best so far overall user is Alomomla with its Wishes and bulk, Wailord also has bulk, and better offenses, but lacks Wish.

Drizzle + Rain Dish is not banned, and Rain Dish Wingull has been released. Putting Stockpile, Substitute, or Protect in one of the move slots could help this out. If you run Rain Dish with Lefties, protect works as a pseudo-heal and can stall for toxic damage. 60/100/70 isn't amazing for a defensive wall, so you would have to be cautious about what you bring this in on, there are a lot of sweepers that could just blast through this guy. I will say that the submersion/toxic combo and his typing lets him wall Scizor pretty handily. Three turns of set-up (Whirlpool, Submersion, then Toxic?) gives your opponent a pretty huge opportunity against this guy though.
Rain Dish denies Pelipper the ability to trap its foe, as Whirlpool can't be learnt in Gen 5 - if you're removing Whirlpool, then you may as well just use Mamanbo's bulk and ability to pass Wishes instead.
Not trapping your enemy is still viable, you just don't want your enemy to switch out - I imagine most people seeing their walls suddenly become prone to poison would consider switching out, especially if they've even considered the combo. I certainly would expect a Toxic more than just an SE move.
Also Scizor has the tendency to U-Turn out, so not the ideal thing to switch on.

^standard nattorei pretty much. You're only like the 10,000th person to come up with that.

As for the Submersion thing, how about Evo Stone Wailmer? It has a lot better defenses than Wailord or Pelipper. The only thing it really lacks is a recovery move. Aqua Ring + Leftovers + Protect maybe? You can't trap them that way, but you become a lot more annoying. Alomomola could make it work too, but not on and special attackers.

Rain Dish denies Pelipper the ability to trap its foe, as Whirlpool can't be learnt in Gen 5 - if you're removing Whirlpool, then you may as well just use Mamanbo's bulk and ability to pass Wishes instead.
Not trapping your enemy is still viable, you just don't want your enemy to switch out - I imagine most people seeing their walls suddenly become prone to poison would consider switching out, especially if they've even considered the combo. I certainly would expect a Toxic more than just an SE move.
Also Scizor has the tendency to U-Turn out, so not the ideal thing to switch on.
I didn't realize he loses Whirlpool nor did I think about U-turn being able to switch out of being trapped. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm going a bit off-topic here, but can a 0EV's Neutral Nature Reuniclus at +6 OHKO Bliss? I 1HKO'd it with a crit, so I'm sure it's at least a 2HKO
I doubt it. Crits negate any status boosts so the crit was actually double damage to a +0 bliss as crits bypass the +6 like it's not even there

Okay, so I got this from Bulbapedia:

So this isn't a moveset per se, but three of them meant to be used in triples.

Deoxys-A @Life Orb
+SAtk / -Def
~Round
~Shadow Ball
~Superpower
~Thunderbolt

Porygon-Z @Choice Specs
Modest
~Round
~Hidden Power (Fight)
~Shadow Ball
~Trick

Togekiss @Choice Specs
Modest
~Round
~Air Slash
~Aura Sphere
~Flamethrower

I've actually been thinking about this myself and would like to give it a try in doubles if I had a better grasp of the metagame or triples if the mechanics were well known. Pretty much everything and its mom learns Round so it seems like it'd be easy to abuse--have a fast pokemon that uses it with a slower, bulky special attacker or whatnot so you can bypass speed and stomp things in and out of TR if done right--but it seems like it'd be hard to fit on movesets that are honestly already limited. Have you tried this out on PO or anything? Also, I don't think Choice Items are really necessary--you're only killing like one pokemon at a time, maybe severely wounding another, but with Shandera being so immensely popular as well as TR which you've no way to shut down...

I doubt it. Crits negate any status boosts so the crit was actually double damage to a +0 bliss as crits bypass the +6 like it's not even there
Crits don't negate positive stat boosts that your pokemon has. Plus think of what you're saying. A crit OHKO'd it, doing double damage. Double damage is like having +2 attack. So why wouldn't +6 OHKO? You're wrong on both parts lol.

I'm going a bit off-topic here, but can a 0EV's Neutral Nature Reuniclus at +6 OHKO Bliss? I 1HKO'd it with a crit, so I'm sure it's at least a 2HKO
As for the answer to your question, assuming you're using Focus Blast and a non-attack boosting item, and the Blissey has 0 SpD evs and a nuetral nature, the attack will do between 644 and 758 damage! So it has a chance to kill it in one hit, as Blisseys run 714 HP.

Crits don't negate positive stat boosts that your pokemon has. Plus think of what you're saying. A crit OHKO'd it, doing double damage. Double damage is like having +2 attack. So why wouldn't +6 OHKO? You're wrong on both parts lol.

As for the answer to your question, assuming you're using Focus Blast and a non-attack boosting item, and the Blissey has 0 SpD evs and a nuetral nature, the attack will do between 644 and 758 damage! So it has a chance to kill it in one hit, as Blisseys run 714 HP.
could be true.
Between I posted that post and now, I once killed it, and once left it with 1 YES 1 HP! out of like, 714.....

Ah I guess I read the post wrong. I thought he got a crit on something w/ +6 Ah well
anyways here's a fun rachi I'm using

Jirachi
252HP and the rest in Deff SpeDeff. (IDK what's the best way to spread those)
Leftovers

Twave
Cosmic Power
Wish
Doom Desire

Fun little set. Most people forget doom desire and get hit by it. Cosmic power lets him spam those and wishes on alternate turns. Steel resistance makes it easy to get CP's up. Set up a Doom Desire then wish and switch as you deal damage to the enemy and heal up either rachi or a switch in on the same turn. You could also switch in wish or doom desire for iron head and run a kind of flinchhax rachi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)